The optimist thread - the Koolaid is refreshing!

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
OK there is a bunch of negative energy flowing around (and with absolutely good reason!) but just wanted to take a step back and look at the good lest we forget it.

We do have a lot of young talent on the roster and still some quality in the pipeline.

Based on our SUCK we will get a higher draft pick than anticipated.

We have a boatload of salary cap space going into this offseason.

We will likely have a new coach and GM with a fresh approach taking over.

Sometimes a meltdown is needed to wake people up and perhaps we will look back at this in a couple years and be so glad it happened?

Its not all doom and gloom.

Last edited by a moderator:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Token Reply :laugh:

hqdefault.jpg

#FastTimes

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
OK there is a bunch of negative energy flowing around (and with absolutely good reason!) but just wanted to take a step back and look at the good lest we forget it.

We do have a lot of young talent on the roster and still some quality in the pipeline.

Sometimes a meltdown is needed to wake people up and perhaps we will look back at this in a couple years and be so glad it happened?

I did say after the Lightning debacle that they would miss the playoffs before righting the ship. That means the "righting the ship" part is right around the corner! :D

Last edited:

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Yes Oates sucks bigtime. The optomist thread suggests its a great thing that he will be gone and that he will for sure IMO

The lightning series was awful. I'm going to pretend it never happened.

Kuznetsov, Burakovsky and Wilson are strong pieces going forward.

We also have assets that have good value in Brouwer, Green and MJ we can use to bolster the D and perhaps add draft picks.

Bowey, Orlov, Wey, Schmidt, Carrick...all good young pieces on D.

I'd be in favor of a rebuild here keeping guys like 8, 19, Carlzner etc. Want a coach who will bring back attack and the youth to bring back fun.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
@IgorEronko: Mikhail Grabovski's father Yuri says contract extension negotiations are 'at the final stage' #Caps

In a good way apparently.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
For all his ups and downs, we still have one of the most dynamic players of his generation. A few months ago he was dominant, scoring at will and laying guys out, almost like his old self. Give him some hope and some help, and the tide can turn back.

EDIT: MMMMmmm... Koolaid.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Great news on Grabovski if true. I really like the kid even tho I still do not believe his traits make for an ideal center. I'd take him on my team any day.

I'm positive Ovechkin can be a force again like earlier.

Oates sucks/idiot= New coach. New coach brings hope.

Get us a top 4 dman and the whole complexion of the team changes. Anyone notice how our play dropped off dramatically without Hillen? Jack Hillen...

Orlov/Carlson/Alzner is a mighty good collection of young dmen.

foundhockey

Apr 29, 2012
Georgia, USA
Awesome thread idea, BR. :D

I think we have a tremendously talented young core moving forward. Carlson, Alzner, Kuzya, Wilson, Holtby, Orlov, and I'm sure a forgot a few others. We'll also have Ovie and Backstrom for a while and they are AMAZING players and both are under 30.

I don't believe Oates will be the coach next season. That is light at the end of the tunnel.

If that Grabo quote means he'll be on the roster next season, that's another bit of good news.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Right on Found

The reality is (despite how hard it is to see it under the current climate) that we really aren't that bad off.

We're not an aging team without assets.

We're not in salary cap purgatory with horrendous contracts.

We don't have a Dolan type owner. Ted is loyal but even he is smart enough to see that McPhee has been given plenty of chances.

We're in prime position for a rebound season with a fresh approach and some retooling of the roster.

Hopefully we show some bite these last 6 games and at the very least make it a fight. If we get mathematically eliminated early then guys like Wilson and Kuznetsov should get 20 minutes a night from here on out and we should try and get Ovie to 50 if nothing else for his mental frame of mind.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Awesome thread idea, BR. :D

I think we have a tremendously talented young core moving forward. Carlson, Alzner, Kuzya, Wilson, Holtby, Orlov, and I'm sure a forgot a few others. We'll also have Ovie and Backstrom for a while and they are AMAZING players and both are under 30.

I don't believe Oates will be the coach next season. That is light at the end of the tunnel.

If that Grabo quote means he'll be on the roster next season, that's another bit of good news.

your tag line is awesome. we need more sunshine around here. :)

kmdoom

Sep 19, 2013
alexandria va
Right on Found

The reality is (despite how hard it is to see it under the current climate) that we really aren't that bad off.

We're not an aging team without assets.

We're not in salary cap purgatory with horrendous contracts.

We don't have a Dolan type owner. Ted is loyal but even he is smart enough to see that McPhee has been given plenty of chances.

We're in prime position for a rebound season with a fresh approach and some retooling of the roster.

Hopefully we show some bite these last 6 games and at the very least make it a fight. If we get mathematically eliminated early then guys like Wilson and Kuznetsov should get 20 minutes a night from here on out and we should try and get Ovie to 50 if nothing else for his mental frame of mind.

This whole post is a very good way of looking at things, thanks for the reassurance Rouse. As for the bold, I also hope Wilson starts seeing more minutes.

His whole year has been very impressive imo. He hasn't produced... but he hasn't been given that chance yet. What I really like about his game is that he tries to make an impact in other ways. I love that he's always finishing his check, and I wish some of the other guys would take that approach as well.

ryan519*

my last ray of hope and happiness for this season is seeing ovi get 50

awesome news on grabovski, hope it goes through. also, i didnt really feel this way before, but i think holtby should definitely be our #1 going forward. i know some people here dont like him and yeah, he hasnt had the best year, but behind this crap defense what can you expect. With a new coach that doesnt screw with his head on starts and some solid defense acquisitions he could go back to 2012 playoff form imo. so hopefully we dont re-sign halak, who i doubt wants to re-sign anyway, and in time grubauer can be holtby's backup.

if we get a new coach/GM in the offseason then missing the playoffs will have absolutely 100% been worth it

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
Grabo, Lavs, and the very best Dman acquisition possible (trade or FA or both) would make me feel good about next year. It's really not that far off, it's just broken in the worst way possible at the moment. Granted, I wouldn't stop the changes there but...

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

Most of my original thoughts were deleted.

So I will keep it short.

As I said this past summer (most told me I was wrong), this is a franchise on the downslope, so missing the playoffs is not a shock, not does it really upset me. I am more resigned than anything. I hope they make corrective moves this coming off season to reverse the trend.

I am not optimisitic at the moment, but will certainly drink any new kool aid that comes out, assuming the flavour, and the server, are different.

The team has enough assets to be a top 4 eastern team, as soon as next season. We will see what transpires.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
My .02
The Dolan's (Ranger owners) at very least... have a Cup.

Note get that video off the bottom of this page... when it doesn't load, it screws the whole page up.

Last edited:

ryan519*

Grabo, Lavs, and the very best Dman acquisition possible (trade or FA or both) would make me feel good about next year. It's really not that far off, it's just broken in the worst way possible at the moment. Granted, I wouldn't stop the changes there but...

dont forget to add new GM in there too

thats where the changes need to start for everything else to fall into place

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
First note. While this is a "koolaid" thread I really think we can all express the negatives in order to see if we can put a positive spin on it. Because believe it or not there are always positives to be drawn. For instance...horrible coaching...

I really think we could have taken any of the other 29 coaching staff members and swapped them out for Oates and Co. and we would have made the playoffs. With our shortcomings we probably wouldn't have been a serious threat but anything can happen once in.

I don't believe I've ever seen a Caps coach make so many baffling lineup decisions and line combos. Playing players out of position regularly. Dressing the wrong guys. There are far too many of these that I have lost count! During this past weekend there were probably 10 or 12 decisions that really made little sense (kuznetsov on the 4th line...Beagle still on the 2nd line...Carrick not in hershey??...Grabovski on the wing (when we are short at center)...Penner on the 4th line despite a history of playing well with good players (ala Knuble)..Fehr 4th line C...Halak starting vs Devils despite solid Holtby relief performance game before..etc)

We've had coaches who attack. We've had coaches who go all out on defending. Its really hard to mess up the latter but Oates and his boys found a way. Now Oates is pointing fingers on top of all that to save his bacon.

In summary a coaching change alone will make us a playoff team.

Now...the roster certainly needs some work but GMGM has put us in a position with lots of young assets and cap space to make it happen.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
F the koolaid. There's been too much denial going on around this franchise for years.

Seems like someone needs some more vodka mixed in their Koolaid!

You can chug the sour milk if you like. You'll just have an upset stomach all summer but more power to you if you like that feeling!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad