Speculation: The One Kadri Discussion Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
Just like I said back then, he probably went lower than he should have in that draft because of his jaw injury that year having a pretty big impact on his game.

SpeakerForTheDead

Aug 2, 2005
Brampton/Chicago
Will be interesting to see how he follows up last game tomorrow. Hope Frattin's back ASAP.

Holy crap, I was so defensive of the pick :amazed:...and rather personal towards people making stupid "I'm done with this team" comments :laugh:.
And good on you for it. It's annoying how suddenly everyone's an expert. One guy even says 'I've never seen him play' then continues to rant about the pick.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
I don't know why everyone wants to edit history on this issue. He was ready from day one. He got better with the Marlies, but he was better than guys on the Leafs roster and could have gotten better with the Leafs (like literally every very talented youngster on nearly every other team).

He also was not given a spot out of training camp even though he had earned it. He got hurt, was out for a week or so. He played three games because a couple of Leafs forwards were injured. Once they came back, Kadri was sent down to the Marlies.

Exactly. He was a good NHL ready prospect from day one. Now he's a good NHL player with the potential for greatness. Who knows maybe it was better that kadri got to skip out on being coached by Wilson.

During his draft year he was better then a good half the team that we iced. Its baffling just how long it took management to finally give him a chance.

Last edited:

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
Exactly. He was a good NHL ready prospect from day one. Now he's a good NHL player with the potential for greatness. Who knows maybe it was better that kadri got to skip out on bring coached by Wilson. During his draft year he was better then a good half the team that we iced. Its baffling just how long it took management to finally give him a chance.

I've thought the very same thing.

Maybe the hockey gods finally got their fill and finally gave us a break.

JMcLeaf

Rico Fata was another common comparison thrown around by some people here. I mean, I guess they both have darker coloured skin. Thats a similarity, I guess.

I know he ended up being a bust in the nhl but man I loved Rico Fata when he was on the Knights! I remember creating him on NHL 99 and making him 99 overall lol

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

I'm sure this has been posted, but I was creeping Kadri's twitter, and he commented that this video motivates him.

Great video.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
Nazem Kadri ‏@43_Kadri

I Don't mind this one bit killer! @Gilmour_93 pic.twitter.com/3gwyg09yzq

These ******* writers from The Sun have come a long way from this:

sun.JPG

To this:

BEc8JYkCEAAYUac.jpg

FelixPotvin29

Oct 21, 2012
Nazem Kadri ‏@43_Kadri

I Don't mind this one bit killer! @Gilmour_93 pic.twitter.com/3gwyg09yzq

I guess the number most similar to Doug Gilmour's #93 is Nazem Kadri's #43. Hmm... interesting.

Or is it, #43 for amount of years the Leafs have gone without a cup when Kadri picked it?

Hmmm....

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Fun looking back on Kadri's draft year, here is what Mark Seidel said about Nazem.

Nazem Kadri – 6-feet, 182 pounds – London Knights

If you were to draw up a game plan for a young prospect to ensure he would maximize his talent, what Kadri and his agent have done would be the example to follow. Firstly, they had him drafted by and playing for the Kitchener Rangers under Peter DeBoer in his first year. He topped his time off in Kitchener by playing in the Memorial Cup and when DeBoer left, Kadri moved to his hometown of London to play under another great coach, Dale Hunter. Kadri was an important factor in Kitchener last year and expect him to be one of the centerpieces in London too, as Mark and Dale Hunter look to take a run at the Memorial Cup this year. Although he has the usual prerequisite of skill and smarts, it is Kadri’s competitiveness we love most. He can be nasty to play against and isn’t afraid of the physical side of the game.

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Am I the only one watching his hat trick every day since he got it? :lol:

Also, I was a huge Kadri supporter from the very start. I wasn't on the boards when he got drafted but I would just like to say I told you so :P (to those eating crow right now). I defended him since I joined these boards.

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
Am I the only one watching his hat trick every day since he got it? :lol:

Also, I was a huge Kadri supporter from the very start. I wasn't on the boards when he got drafted but I would just like to say I told you so :P (to those eating crow right now). I defended him since I joined these boards.

THIS. I wasn't on the boards either but I was always and still am a huge kadri supporter. Especially in his first call up, what sold me the most was his heart. He kept getting knocked down and fell a lot but he kept getting back up and didn't stop his drive. Loved him since then!

And yeah, I've been watching his hat trick several times everyday:laugh:

I can't get sick of it, just gets me hyped up all over again :D And in the process I watch his two assists in philly, amd that leads to me watching his goal against the sabres last season (freakin loved it). Before I know it I'm watching his videos for an hour:laugh: Can't get sick of him.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Kadri and Rielly could be magic in a few years. Karlsson and Spezza lite hopefully. The way Kadri can get the puck in full speed and Rielly's ability to pass the puck to players at full speed will work perfectly. I seriously hope it happens that way.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
What's getting me really excited about Kadri is his playoff dominance. In his last three years in the OHL, he put up 27 goals, and 47 assists for 74 points in only 46 playoff games. In Kitchener, the year before his draft year he won the OHL championship, and came second in the Memorial Cup final. With the Marlies last year he was a huge part of our Calder cup run, before getting injured.

If he can elevate his game during the playoffs at the NHL level like he has in the past, he could become a legitimate Leaf great.

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON

I'm sure this has been posted, but I was creeping Kadri's twitter, and he commented that this video motivates him.

Great video.

Haha my buddy made that video (DoYouBeLeaf on HF), he was psyched when Kadri tweeted it out.

edit: I've also mercilessly defended Kadri since day one - so it's great to see it working.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010

i'm sure this has been posted, but i was creeping kadri's twitter, and he commented that this video motivates him.

Great video.

Please please please. Someone do a Nas- "Made you look" video for Naz Kadri.

"They shootin!!!! Awww made you look!!!"

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I guess the number most similar to Doug Gilmour's #93 is Nazem Kadri's #43. Hmm... interesting.

Or is it, #43 for amount of years the Leafs have gone without a cup when Kadri picked it?

Hmmm....

I wish they'd let him wear 91 like he did with the Knights.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
My draft day thread post on Kadri...

"We won't know for another couple of years if Nazem Kadri is a real player. I have faith in the scouts though, some close observers of the OHL were putting him in the same level as Duchene not too long ago. So there you go...could be the steal of the draft.":)

Reading through that thread, there was a lot of positive responses to this pick.

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
what i like a lot is consistency

honestly a lot of good players dont score every game
or get points
and rarely get two goals
a hat trick... is quite unique

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011
I've never loved or hated Naz since he was drafted, until now. I never talked bad about him but didn't overhype him either, now he's quickly becoming my favourite Leaf.

I will admit however, I was really brainwashed by Burke in his beginning days and naively believed that he would somehow trade up to get Tavares because of the press conference, after that didn't happen I was disappointed lol. Since then you can see from where we picked there was no better choice. ROR is his only competition taken lower but I believe Naz will surpass him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad