Speculation: The One Kadri Discussion Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
“Seeing the highlights of Nazem scoring his hat trick against the Islanders made me smile,” the New Jersey Devils coach said in a phone interview this weekend.

And, in the process, reminded DeBoer of some of the characteristics he feels Kadri shares with former Maple Leafs great Doug Gilmour.

Looks like a very smart coach sees the same things in Kadri that some of us here do.

People have started putting caps on this kid now that he's producing.

"He will be a very good 2nd line C" etc etc..

Carlyle is a smart coach...I don't see any reason why Kadri can't be our #1C and produce 70-80 points a year. He has that skill.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
“Seeing the highlights of Nazem scoring his hat trick against the Islanders made me smile,†the New Jersey Devils coach said in a phone interview this weekend.

And, in the process, reminded DeBoer of some of the characteristics he feels Kadri shares with former Maple Leafs great Doug Gilmour.

Heavy praises but I still hope people temper the expectation. I've been a fan for a long time but still just don't want the useless ragging, although I know it'll come, go rampant after all the praises.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Heavy praises but I still hope people temper the expectation. I've been a fan for a long time but still just don't want the useless ragging, although I know it'll come, go rampant after all the praises.

Dougie was one of the kind, I don't think we will ever see another of his kind around here for awhile. Leafs were the best team in 92, we should have won the cup had we won Game 6 against LA, but Fraser and some very bad luck messed that up.

I saw the similarities of Kadri and Gilmour this fall, wasn't even aware of the Hunter/Deboer comments. I think Kadri has turned the corner, at the least he should be in there with Kane, Schenn, Duchene class of this draft. JT is a special player to me, think he is in a class by himself.

Really happy we finally have an elite talent like Kadri in the organization, and we didn't even have to tank to #1 to get one. Our scouts always take grief for not going deep rather than picking safe prospects. Kadri is an example we don't.

As Kadri is, here's the thing, I think Rielly is even going to be better. Can't wait till he gets here.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Yeah, I have the same feeling.

You don't need to tank to win Cups.

Look at the Leafs, they have JvR, Kessel, Lupul, Kadri, Gardiner, Phaneuf, Rielly etc they're all first round picks... so it's not like the Leafs are build around UFA's.

All I know is that Kadri, Gardiner and Rielly are going to be a treat to watch for another decade.

Lightning have Stamkos and yet they're no closer to the Cup than we are, Tavares is stuck in NYI (I hope they continue sucking, and we pick up the pace, so he signs with us).

Tavares is UFA in our centennial year :naughty:

Kessick

Dec 25, 2003
Hockey Universe, ON
Visit site
You shouldn't have to temper your expectations. That's why he's referred to as #thedream.

I think Leafs fans have an auto-impulse to want to "temper expectations." We want to appear meek and humble so that we aren't under siege by other fanbases that will try to "set us in our rightful place." I believe that phrase has shown up more in this thread than in any other in HF history. We've experienced so much disappointment we can't even contemplate the possibility of having a Gilmour-esque player on this team again. Well, we had one before, so perhaps history will repeat itself. Perhaps it won't. If it doesn't, there's no big loss in having hoped and even entertained the expectation of it, other than the "hit" you'll take to your message board ego.

So I'll echo DeBoer and say there are shades of Gilmour in Kadri. He obviously has the potential to be a number one centre. If I'm wrong, I don't care. If I'm right, it'll be wonderful.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Look at the Leafs, they have JvR, Kessel, Lupul, Kadri, Gardiner, Phaneuf, Rielly etc they're all first round picks... so it's not like the Leafs are build around UFA's.

All I know is that Kadri, Gardiner and Rielly are going to be a treat to watch for another decade.

Lightning have Stamkos and yet they're no closer to the Cup than we are, Tavares is stuck in NYI (I hope they continue sucking, and we pick up the pace, so he signs with us).

Let's hope we can sign Kadri, I wouldn't blame him if he wanted out with the 3 years of treatment he got here under Ron Wilson, and Burke's reluctance to bring him up and back his coach.

It's a new regime, new faces, hopefully he will be a Leaf for his entire career.

SpeakerForTheDead

Aug 2, 2005
Brampton/Chicago

Not just first rounders, those are all top-10 picks(minus Gardiner). We definitely have the skill and talent. Now just a few tweaks here and there, some playoff experience and I think next season we can be one of the top teams in the conference.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Wouldn't mind seeing the Kadri thread, when he was drafted, posted here in its entirety, to get a few laughs.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I wasnt signed up when Kadri was drafted:laugh: At the time i wanted OEL or Cowen but knew we likely were not going for a D, so it was Schenn that i was setting my sights for. After he was picked by LA I really lost interest and couldnt care less who was picked. I however wanted anyone but MPS to be drafted so i was indifferent about the whole scenario.

TheSilencer

Feb 5, 2010
Toronto
What an enjoyable read, I highly recommend it. Where did all those experts go?

Best attempt at Kadri devaluation has to be the notion that Kadri=Rob Schremp.

If you look around you'll see some pretty ridiculous stuff. Few years back, some Oilers posters tried to convince me that Cogliano>Kessel.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
06-29-2009, 05:45 PM

zeke

vCash: 500

solid pick by Burke - a guy with the numbers to match guys like Duchene and Schenn (numbers which indicate he was probably a little underrated), and with a very nice all-around game to boot.

Would have rather moved up, but I like this pick over guys like Cowen and MSP without a doubt.

I would have killed someone if we had picked Cowen.

pats self on back

mikeo1

Jan 6, 2008
Vancouver
Best attempt at Kadri devaluation has to be the notion that Kadri=Rob Schremp.

If you look around you'll see some pretty ridiculous stuff. Few years back, some Oilers posters tried to convince me that Cogliano>Kessel.

Rico Fata was another common comparison thrown around by some people here. I mean, I guess they both have darker coloured skin. Thats a similarity, I guess.

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
Let's hope we can sign Kadri, I wouldn't blame him if he wanted out with the 3 years of treatment he got here under Ron Wilson, and Burke's reluctance to bring him up and back his coach.

It's a new regime, new faces, hopefully he will be a Leaf for his entire career.

That's ridiculous, there's no way he holds out on Nonis and Carlyle because of how Burke and Wilson treated him. And it wasn't even Burke, it was Wilson who threw him under the bus. He loves this team, loves playing under the bright Toronto lights, and loves this city. He hasn't persevered through all of this to come out and demand a trade or stupid money as an RFA.

If he finishes the year around 40 pts in 48 games or better, I expect him to get something like 2/3 years max $3 million a season. Then if in 2 years he's improving, you sign him up to that franchise contract extension before he can be an RFA again.

I have no doubt Nonis will handle him right this summer, and I have no doubt he wants to be here.

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
Haha this was the best post and almost prophetic:

Originally Posted by bzer
I know a lot of our fellow Leafs fans may be disappointed. But just hold this out until Kadri begins playing. You wouldn't want people to search up your post 4 years from now and talk about how you're bashing Kadri when he becomes a SUPERSTAR!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad