The once-new "what's going on with Panarin" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
This is terrific. ‘This isn’t meant as a negative, but I’m just smarter and more perceptive than you are.’

No, it means exactly what it said. People's minds work differently. We need all types of thinkers. One isn't better than the other, however I'm getting tired of being beat over the head by certain people that just look at a situation statically. They don't bother to ask questions as to why someone came to the conclusion they just think they are automatically right. Frankly, DSL, I've tried being polite and nice. Why bother, it doesn't get me anywhere. They will hammer away and if I fight back they will just play the victim. If you want to say that Savard is a good top 4 D, I'm going to say I think you are wrong. If you think that Seabrook's contract is not all that good, I'll listen and agree. However if you are going to say that Savard is a better player I'm going to call nonsense.

As far as Seabrook, I admitted that I was likely the only person that isn't turned off by his contract. This probably includes the FO of the Jackets. This has pretty much been the case, yet some people decided to talk about it like it was actually a thing to consider.

Getting back to Panarin, I tend to think he'll somehow end up with the Hawks again if they want him back. They traded him for a reason and the situation really hasn't changed beyond Hossa's money being freed up. They still have a lot of large contracts and the cap isn't quite where they can easily add a new one for Panarin unless he's willing to take lower than market.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Just spitballing here but I don't think I've seen any mention of a possible new BFF Artemi & Bob collusion, like a position of both or neither.

This was my first theory. I posted all over about it.

I don't know that it's not true, but I no longer think it's the main thing. I just can't see Panarin taking this gambit of distancing himself from the team, saying he's not sure if he wants to live here, if that is not the case.

I find it very easy to believe that Bob being here long term would have a lot of sway over Panarin's thinking. And that's not collusion, not at all. I'm going on the job market in a couple years and the first thing I want to know when I get offers is "who do I know there". A BFF is worth more than a water view.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
I've been thinking about this topic as I continue to be a sadist and read the trade proposals on TR&FA. Everyone assumes Artemi has a plan. Whether it's a list or a specific place to play (for x,y,z reasons) or that he's tied to Bob, etc.

What if the kid really just doesn't know what he wants, but knows he doesn't want to talk contacts during the season?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
What if the kid really just doesn't know what he wants, but knows he doesn't want to talk contacts during the season?

Entirely possible. I've hypothesized a couple times that he understands that this is a big deal for the rest of his life and he's overthinking or suffering from paralysis by analysis. But it could be even simpler than that, as you suggest. Wouldn't surprise me a bit.

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
If he returns to Chicago could a tampering case be made

No words are needed...

c3DCJvFTbbJDW0N3QE8JAXeAVekkPAmV.jpeg

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Quick Shifts: Canucks' Hughes 'could be a Norris Trophy defenceman' - Sportsnet.ca

Have to page down a bit for the stuff about Panarin

The Bread Man, set to wrap his own bridge deal, does not wish to remain in Columbus long-term. His teammates, however, want to go for it now.
“He gives you another dynamic. He’s a game-breaker. When he has the puck on his stick, it’s dangerous. He’s got that ability to take it from one side and go in and score. It’s an element not all players and teams have. He’s a special player and he had a great year for us,” says Jenner, an alternate captain.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
That is why players and coaches can't be GM's too. Players and coaches only (usually) care about one thing. Now. It's the GM's job to worry about the now and the future.

Last edited:

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
At this point I'm starved for some sort of actual news / this situation finally resolved.

All this uncertainty as made this off-season feel like a never-ending stroll through the desert with no water in sight, except each Portzline interview the fake illusion of an oasis... :loony:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
That is why players and coaches can't be GM's too. Players and coaches only (usually) care about one thing. Now. It's the GM's job to worry about the now and the future.

I agree, they're focused on winning now at the expense of the future. They're not GM's.

But it's also a good retort to anyone who thinks the team would be better off without the distraction. The players in the room have their fingers crossed that he isn't traded, and they focus on winning game by game. They're not sitting around worrying about what the media will say.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I agree, they're focused on winning now at the expense of the future. They're not GM's.

But it's also a good retort to anyone who thinks the team would be better off without the distraction. The players in the room have their fingers crossed that he isn't traded, and they focus on winning game by game. They're not sitting around worrying about what the media will say.

AND most importantly, they believe they can "win".

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

This still pre-season. if this drags on and the team slumps it will become a bigger issue.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
This still pre-season. if this drags on and the team slumps it will become a bigger issue.
The Bread/Bob situations are not positives. It's just a question of how much they will impact the CBJ negatively, not if they will or won't.

Reactions: EspenK

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I think once the season starts players just kinda accept that this is our team and these are the guys I'm going to battle with.

Of course they all know they could be traded at any time(unless you have a NTC) and that's just the way it is. It's not like Panarin came out and said I hate my teammates or my coach, he just said he's not sure if he wants to sign long term in Columbus.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
I don't see how the Bread/Bob situation is anything other than a distraction once the regular season begins. I mean, there is no up side to the current situation.

It's really weird - it's not just the fans, it's the media who will constantly ask the same question over and over - but I find it's all a matter of perception. A team will give up a first round pick plus more for a rental player and while there may be some debate about value, the perception is that team is making a run. But with same said player with his current team, the talk is all about where he's going and how the team has to unload him as they can't just let him walk.

Fantastic years out of both players and a deep playoff run seems like a pretty good upside to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad