Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Another week in the books..

giphy.gif

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
• Panarin’s situation has quieted, too. The Blue Jackets had trade offers for Panarin earlier this summer, but all of them were for “futures” packages — prospects, high draft picks, etc. If you’re GM Jarmo Kekalainen, it’s hard to part with your offensive catalyst for players/picks who could make an impact in 2020. After the initial burst of offers, the league went quiet, as it always does in August. The chances Panarin is traded before the season starts appear slim, but it’s still greater than the likelihood of a trade involving Bobrovsky. No way the Blue Jackets trade their No. 1 goaltender when they don’t have anybody ready to assume that mantel.

• Here’s one theory floating around the NHL among front-office types: Panarin’s desired destination is the New York Rangers. That doesn’t mean he’ll end up in Manhattan, but many believe that’s the club at the top of Panarin’s list. The Rangers, in the process of a short-term rebuild, aren’t willing to trade anything for Panarin right now, because the timing isn’t right for them. They don’t expect a playoff berth out of this season, only another top draft pick and another year of experience for their cluster of top young players. Plus, why would the Rangers give up anything for Panarin now when they can acquire him next summer as a free agent? The Blue Jackets say they don’t have an indication this is true. Panarin’s agent, Daniel Milstein, has denied that the Rangers are his client’s No. 1 pick. But three different sources — from three different clubs — all said they heard Rangers.

• There is no list. Well, there might be a list in Panarin’s head — and on Milstein’s desk — but the Blue Jackets haven’t been provided a list of Panarin’s preferred destinations. And, really, how could a player take that step at this stage of the process? Talk about an awkward reception in the Blue Jackets’ dressing room next month if there’s a list in-hand of the teams Panarin would rather play for next season. Milstein has wanted to handle it on a club by club basis. That is, let the Blue Jackets work out a deal, then contact him to see if Panarin would consider signing long-term with the other team. But that’s not ideal if you’re the Blue Jackets. Every trade conversation you have with another club involves the exchange of information, even if it’s only small bits. Clubs would rather opponents not know which players or prospects are available unless they’re having serious trade talks. If Milstein provides the Blue Jackets a list, it’ll be before the trade deadline when everybody has to put their cards on the table.

• Don’t rule out the New York Islanders for Panarin. The player and those around him are said to hold Islanders GM Lou Lamoriello in high regard.

• It has been noted that Panarin bought an $800,000 condominium in Miami, as though that’s a hint that he could have the Florida Panthers in mind as a destination. But a source close to Panarin said that’s being read incorrectly. First, the condo is at least an hour drive from the Panthers’ home rink in Sunrise. That’s way too far to drive back and forth during the season. Second, an $800,000 condo is a lot of money to the schmuck writing this entry (and many reading it, I’ll assume), but it’s not a big deal in South Beach, where real estate is obscene. It’s a nice place for a getaway, not a permanent residence for a guy set to clear $10 million per season. Third, you wouldn’t have a weekend getaway an hour away from where you play.

• If enough people across the league believe that Panarin wants to play for the Rangers, that’s going to significantly curb the kind of offers the Blue Jackets can expect. The most obvious trade partner if you’re Columbus — I’ve been saying this all summer — is Florida, which has a cluster of top-six forwards with tremendous upside. Here’s a pitch that could be made to the Panthers: “Artemi may be willing to sign with you long-term. Miami has cache; it has an international wow factor that Columbus just can’t match. But if you want any chance at Panarin, you better move now. You’re not going to get him next summer if the Rangers are in the mix. Now is your chance.”

• The Blue Jackets aren’t going to beg Panarin to change his mind, and they aren’t taking his Sept. 13 deadline with much seriousness, either. You’ll recall that Panarin, who isn’t talking contract with the Blue Jackets, has said he wants to have all possible off-season business wrapped up by the start of training camp. That means if the Blue Jackets get a trade offer for Panarin, he won’t negotiate a new deal with a new team after Sept. 13. The Blue Jackets’ response could be summarized thusly: “You don’t get to make the rules until July 1, 2019.”

• It might be faint, but there’s still hope that Bobrovsky and Panarin decide to stick around beyond this coming season. The Blue Jackets’ best hope might be getting them back in the Nationwide Arena, letting them settle back into a tight dressing room and forcing them to look their teammates in the eyes. Cam Atkinson has already said he hopes Panarin isn’t traded over the summer so he can work the powers of persuasion on the guy who sits just one locker to his left. Look for Nick Foligno to do the same. A really good season on the ice wouldn’t hurt, either, obviously.

Scratch Pad #4: Updates on Sergei Bobrovsky, Artemi Panarin,...

Reactions: Viqsi

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008

Kucherov's agent is also Milstein. He gone.

The fact that Panarin retweeted this infuriated me beyond Adam Foote / Jeff Carter levels of hate. This jackass can’t be gone soon enough. IDGAF if they don’t get more than a bag of pucks for him. Negotiation is one thing. Wanting to be somewhere else is another. This, though, is rubbing our collective noses in it.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
The fact that Panarin retweeted this infuriated me beyond Adam Foote / Jeff Carter levels of hate. This jackass can’t be gone soon enough. IDGAF if they don’t get more than a bag of pucks for him. Negotiation is one thing. Wanting to be somewhere else is another. This, though, is rubbing our collective noses in it.

Agreed.

Also, player is under contract. I know that's not official contact there but the optics are bad if I'm the Tampa FO.

Reactions: CPTN71 and EspenK

major major

Feb 18, 2013
JT Miller, Brayden Point & Boris Katchouk.

Point is worth way too much. I don't think Serg would even be included. I don't see them willing to give up much. It's more likely that Tampa makes a UFA bid. They'd have a heck of a time trying to squeeze him under the cap though, if that's any consolation.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Just want you to know, that both of these twitter accounts are handled by Milstein, not players.

What's the deal with Milstein? He pretends like he's being very delicate and considerate and then goes out and tweets stuff like this?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Just want you to know, that both of these twitter accounts are handled by Milstein, not players.

What's the deal with Milstein? He pretends like he's being very delicate and considerate and then goes out and tweets stuff like this?

1) Don’t know whether it’s better or worse, assuming Maylo is correct. Initial thoughts are it’s better for optics but worse in real life.

2) I bring up the old ‘agent works for the player not the other way around’ thing.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I don't like seeing stuff like that but I like seeing the Jackets win more. I don't need to believe that all the players want to stay in Columbus. If the room/team can handle it (and unless things change for the worse, I think they can handle it), then I'm going to not care where people want to live. Once the games begin the want to win will be the only want that matters.

Reactions: 213 Sentinel

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
I told you from the start, right after Gavrikov situation he's a sleazeball. He Just doesn't feel he has to respect a small market team. I will take Overhard and Ferris over him any day.
I read some comments from Radulov and Kovalchuk this summer "You should keep quiet when you're negotiating, they don't like "talks" over there."

on his insta this photo captioned by Panarin as "preparing for a season".

Reactions: CPTN71

major major

Feb 18, 2013
1) Don’t know whether it’s better or worse, assuming Maylo is correct. Initial thoughts are it’s better for optics but worse in real life.

I think it's worse. If it's just Artemi retweeting a friend, then those words are not his own (I also show off my town when my friends visit, who cares... ) If Milstein is doing the tweets then it seems to be deliberate.

Reactions: 213 Sentinel

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
I think it's worse. If it's just Artemi retweeting a friend, then those words are not his own (I also show off my town when my friends visit, who cares... ) If Milstein is doing the tweets then it seems to be deliberate.
He's been forsing FO to trade him all summer with stuff like that. Unlike Panarin he's not willing to take the risk of entering the season without contract.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
He's been forsing FO to trade him all summer with stuff like that. Unlike Panarin he's not willing to take the risk of entering the season without contract.

Well it's not really much "force". Just a dick move.

He can't make the Jackets do anything. He can imperil Panarin's reputation though by pushing too hard. It's much better for Panarin's contract negotiations if he doesn't get that pompous-Russian reputation.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Well it's not really much "force". Just a dick move.

He can't make the Jackets do anything. He can imperil Panarin's reputation though by pushing too hard. It's much better for Panarin's contract negotiations if he doesn't get that pompous-Russian reputation.
Well 1 thing we can expect for sure is 1000 characters article from Porty about that tweet. :)

Reactions: CPTN71 and JKinCLE

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217

Welcome to the dark side :laugh: :nod:

That’s true, I remember seeing that made known somewhere.. but I do believe they run their own Instagram accounts.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
'
Aside from the Carter/Foote thing, this x100

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
That’s true, I remember seeing that made known somewhere.. but I do believe they run their own Instagram accounts.
Kuch insta is agent as well. Panarin is his own.

Well, he thinks it's funny.
2qs8psm.jpg

major major

Feb 18, 2013
It might just be hanging out in Florida to Artemi, we don't know.

And for all we know he's laughing at Vasi's tan.

That's not what this is to Milstein though. He tweeted this knowing it would rile people up.

Reactions: CPTN71
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad