The Oilers WILL take RNH First Overall

boozeash

Apr 19, 2007
Ottawa
they should trade the pick for the best possible package......see if they can get some NHL ready prospects that can step in and help out other areas and then draft later on. Since there is no clear cut number 1 why not take some insurance and pick what is available at the #2-#10.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
So I guess you're hoping for
1. Couturier
2. Larsson
3. Nugent-Hopkins
4. Hubredeau
5. Strome
and Landeskog falls onto Ottawas lap. It's never going to happen.

:shakehead

I'm not hoping for anything. I think most of the top 5 forwards are interchangeable at this point, and it's been long known that I think Strome will end up the best player out of this draft. To me I think Ottawa will end up with a good player regardless. Landeskog would be a great asset, but I don't envision him falling to us. But making yourself look like an ass is pretty likely to happen I'd say.

If Edmonton does the right thing for themselves I think it's likely to go:

1. Couturier
2. Larsson
3. Landeskog
4. Hamilton
5. ??? Huberdeau? Murphy?
6. Strome

Coco the Monkey*

Aug 31, 2010

I'm not hoping for anything. I think most of the top 5 forwards are interchangeable at this point, and it's been long known that I think Strome will end up the best player out of this draft. To me I think Ottawa will end up with a good player regardless. Landeskog would be a great asset, but I don't envision him falling to us. But making yourself look like an ass is pretty likely to happen I'd say.

1. Couturier
2. Larsson
3. Landeskog
4. Hamilton
6. Strome

Your hate against RNH is absolutely ridiculous. You're saying he's not even a Top 6 pick now? GTFO.

No chance in hell Couturier goes 1st. Don't know why you're even suggesting it.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Your hate against RNH is absolutely ridiculous. You're saying he's not even a Top 6 pick now? GTFO.

No chance in hell Couturier goes 1st. Don't know why you're even suggesting it.

Aside from him being projected to go 1st for more than half the year, and being touted as the 1st overall since last year.

You are too easily influenced. I actually forgot to put RNH on that list.

Revised:

1. Couturier
2. Larsson
3. Landeskog
4. RNH
5. Hamilton
6. Strome

Coco the Monkey*

Aug 31, 2010
Aside from him being projected to go 1st for more than half the year, and being touted as the 1st overall since last year.

Revised:

1. Couturier
2. Larsson
3. Landeskog
4. RNH
5. Hamilton
6. Strome

and now Huberdeau is below Strome. How cute :laugh:

I guess you like to disregard the fact that Cout has been ranked 5th by a collection of scouts from Bobby Mac's rankings, which are always pretty much accurate.

zeus3007*

Revised:

1. Couturier
2. Larsson
3. Landeskog
4. RNH
5. Hamilton
6. Strome

Actually, most "experts" had Larsson going first for the past year or so. Coutourier was not considered better than Larsson.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary

1. Couturier
2. Larsson
3. Landeskog
4. Hamilton
6. Strome
So you stoop to calling people an "ass" but yet you think you know more than professional scouts and leave Nugent-Hopkins out of the top 3. A recent poll had 6/10 scouts saying RNH was the BPA in this draft. I will agree that the Oilers should take Couturier but it wont be with the #1 pick.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
hey guys just thought id go a little off the board with these rankings, i know professional scouts and all have their "opinions" but i know this is clearly the best case scenario for each team and its WIDE OPEN this year so you never know..

1. Edmonton - Ryan Murphy
2. Colorado - Sven Bartschi
3. Florida - Ryan Strome
4. NJ - Tyler Biggs
5. NYI - Jon Huberdeau
6. Ottawa - Chris Gibson
7. Atlanta - Adam Larsson
8. Columbus - Matt Puempel
9. Boston - Brandon Saad
10. Minnesota - RNH (they are gonna be stoked he drops)

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Adam Larsson just stunk it up in the SEL championship game. Was even benched for a while in the 3rd.

All these guys seem to have their ups and downs. If we're going by playoff performance than Huberdeau is the no.1 pick right now, heh.

Keep RNH in juinor next year, hire a personal trainer/nutritionist for him if need be and get him up to 185+ by training camp 2012. Let him tear the WHL apart next year and headline Team Canada at the WJCs which are being held in Edmonton/Calgary. Perhaps give him 8 games in the NHL to get a taste.

Red Deer is just down the highway, the Oilers can keep close tabs on his development.

nowayguy

Maybe Next Year
May 31, 2009
So you stoop to calling people an "ass" but yet you think you know more than professional scouts and leave Nugent-Hopkins out of the top 3. A recent poll had 6/10 scouts saying RNH was the BPA in this draft. I will agree that the Oilers should take Couturier but it wont be with the #1 pick.

Well thats four scouts who didn't pick him as the BPA. Seems unlikely, yet possible, that RNH could go outside the top 3.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
Adam Larsson just stunk it up in the SEL championship game. Was even benched for a while in the 3rd.

All these guys seem to have their ups and downs. If we're going by playoff performance than Huberdeau is the no.1 pick right now, heh.

Keep RNH in juinor next year, hire a personal trainer/nutritionist for him if need be and get him up to 185+ by training camp 2012. Let him tear the WHL apart next year and headline Team Canada at the WJCs which are being held in Edmonton/Calgary. Perhaps give him 8 games in the NHL to get a taste.

Red Deer is just down the highway, the Oilers can keep close tabs on his development.

If RNH plays in junior next year i bet he posts 120 points in all seriousness (including the time he will miss for world juniors). Im not against that idea if an NHL teams management felt it was best for him.

But... theoretically if he is drafted by the oilers and is given a tyler seguin type of role then they can monitor his nutrition, strength even closer, and perhaps still release him for world juniors if he does not take on a bigger role

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Well thats four scouts who didn't pick him as the BPA. Seems unlikely, yet possible, that RNH could go outside the top 3.

I suppose anything's possible but I am pretty sure Bob said no one he spoke with had RNH out of the top 3.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I honestly don't feel strongly about Nugent-Hopkins or Larsson. I hope the Oilers feel this way too, and trade down to pick up Strome,Couturier, or Huberdeau

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Bingo! And listening to Tambellini's press conference my guess is that the Oilers are thinking this as well.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Have been away with no internet, but I still stand by my prediction.

oilsands

dirty oil, comin 4 u
Jul 6, 2007
Halland
The Oilers will take RNH @ #1 - Pt 2

Thanks to poster Jessikalovejoy for this, Edmonton Journal writer Dan Barnes tweeted today:

jrnlbarnes Dan Barnes
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins went through a workout for Oilers' fitness guy Simon Bennett at Rexall Tuesday, then had dinner at the Tambellinis.

jrnlbarnes Dan Barnes
Nugent-Hopkins has not visited any other NHL city. "I'd love to go to the Oilers. They have a very bright future," he said.

jrnlbarnes Dan Barnes
Oil GM Steve Tambellini said he'll meet with likely top 4 or 5 draft picks in St. Paul but Nugent-Hopkins is only one to make a trip to Edm.

Take it for what it is worth, consensus #1 on every scouting list (whether the draft is deep or shallow or lacking high-end or whatever your opinion). Worst kept secret in the NHL?

Neatman

Mar 9, 2011
Naw, no way. The top pick could be as many as eight players. There isnt any BPA.. weak draft.... poor top end............2ndliners.....................p. stephan......................................

:sarcasm:

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
I would be shocked if RNH is not selected 1st overall, it has been made pretty clear he is their guy. Whether its the right decision or not we will just have to wait and see in a couple of years

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
I would be shocked if RNH is not selected 1st overall, it has been made pretty clear he is their guy. Whether its the right decision or not we will just have to wait and see in a couple of years
I don't think the Oilers have made it obvious that RNH is there guy. It's everyone else. 100% of the scouts or knowledgeable member of the media say that RNH should be their guy. He may not be on the same level as Hall or Tavares but he is definitely the consensus #1 in this draft.

It's really gotten to the point where if you think the Oilers should take someone other than RNH, you don't know what you're talking about.

This thread is part 2 ;)

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I don't think the Oilers have made it obvious that RNH is there guy. It's everyone else. 100% of the scouts or knowledgeable member of the media say that RNH should be their guy. He may not be on the same level as Hall or Tavares but he is definitely the consensus #1 in this draft.

It's really gotten to the point where if you think the Oilers should take someone other than RNH, you don't know what you're talking about.

This thread is part 2 ;)

So Bob McKenzie saying that the Oilers are 50/50 between RNH and Larsson means that he doesn't know what he's talking about?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad