Friedman: The Oilers Offseason Priority

Benedict Kovalchuk

Kovalchuk: A spy?
Jul 19, 2011
CASCADIA NOW
It blows my mind that they traded almost as much for Reinhart as the Flames traded for Hamilton (on the same day, I believe).
Nah, both trades were at the draft but I think they were two years apart. Funny you mention that though, we I heard we were getting a 1st and 2nd from Edmonton I thought for sure we were giving up Hamonic.

Edit: I'm wrong, misread Hamilton as Hamonic.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Nah, both trades were at the draft but I think they were two years apart. Funny you mention that though, we I heard we were getting a 1st and 2nd from Edmonton I thought for sure we were giving up Hamonic.
Both trades were a few hours apart at the 2015 draft.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
It's unlikely the Jets consider moving him. His play is still great, his contract isn't crazy long and he's a leader on the team. Plus management has made a point of being loyal to their core players. It would be pretty surprising if they even considered dealing him.
Just reading the tea leaves. Hallebuyck, Trouba and Morrissey this summer. Myers, Wheeler, Laine and Connor next. There's going to be some players they're going to have to be 'not loyal' to.

Reactions: Short Side High

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Do you remember anything about that trade? It was widely widely rumored and borderline confirmed, that the oilers offered a better package then the flames, including those Reinhart picks, but Boston chose not to do it because that would mean trading there promising young d man to the GM they just fired, the oilers have been searching for a Top 2 point producing D since Pronger, it’s the single biggest reason they’ve had the decade they’ve had

Yet they refuse to draft one.
Whether they have to trade up or down to get those dman, they should make every 1st and second round pick be for that rearguard until they get one.

Stupid stupid picking Puljujarvi and not Sergachev

Stupid stupid picking Yakupov and not Murray Lindholm or Trouba.

Stupid stupid picking Nurse over Ristolainen

Stupid stupid trading Taylor Hall and not get back a 1D

Worst organization in hockey

Reactions: Snowman

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Whether they have to trade up or down to get those dman, they should make every 1st and second round pick be for that rearguard until they get one.

The Oilers were actually going to take Sergachev but then CBJ shocked everyone by taking Dubois.
I do recall Katz unfortunately got in the way wanting Yakupov when the Oiler scouts were voting on Murray instead.
Nurse over Risto is a damn easy hindsight.
Trading Hall for Larsson was always a garbage deal, but its Chiarelli after all.
Its extremely easy to play hindsight. Should other teams get crapped upon for not taking a player in the 1st round or later, because there were better players that got drafted ahead or behind them?

Reactions: ivanlwan

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
You’re not wrong that they’re good pieces. Do they really get one of OEL or Karlsson though? OEL possibly/probably, Karlsson doubtful to say the least. Those are the only two 1Ds that I can see somewhat available.

Also how many of your D are actually going to be there next season? Genuinely curious here. Seems like you got your top 4 set with Nurse, Sekera, Larsson, Klefbom. Also I think your best bet is to hope Klefbom steps up because wasn’t he pretty disappointing offensively? Same goes for Larsson
Those guys both only have one year left. It's not like they are signing a guy under contract for 5 years.

I don't expect that Karlsson wants to play in Edmonton though.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I like it. So I'm guessing that the value is in our favor, so I doubt Sens fans would do this.

Whether they would do it or not means nothing. It is whether their GM would make that trade and maybe it takes a tiny bit more finessing but it seems like a really good trade for both teams. It would allow him to replenish his team after getting decimated in the Duchene trade. Klefbom is no Karlsson but hes a good defenseman in his own right, RNH gives them more skill up front and the picks would be nice as they have to give up their first next year.

As a completely unbiased 3rd party, it seems really fair for both sides on the surface.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
The Oilers were actually going to take Sergachev but then CBJ shocked everyone by taking Dubois.
I do recall Katz unfortunately got in the way wanting Yakupov when the Oiler scouts were voting on Murray instead.
Nurse over Risto is a damn easy hindsight.
Trading Hall for Larsson was always a garbage deal, but its Chiarelli after all.
Its extremely easy to play hindsight. Should other teams get crapped upon for not taking a player in the 1st round or later, because there were better players that got drafted ahead or behind them?

Oilers were not going to draft Sergachev at #4 which is what the should have done.
So what they lose a few spots in the draft by taking a guy they need higher than expected. Now look at the craphole they're in.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Stupid stupid saying that picking the consensus best player is stupid stupid. Too early too judge on Pulujarvi. Not a GM on the planet would have selected Lindholm or Trouba over Yakupov. Nurse is doing fine - Risto is a more dynamic offensive player, but Nurse's growth has made this pick not "stupid". The Hall trade was stupid. Everyone knew it at the time.

Drafting defensemen early is a huge gamble. Voodoo. You could get a Sergachev. You could get a Griffin Reinhart.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Oilers were not going to draft Sergachev at #4 which is what the should have done.
So what they lose a few spots in the draft by taking a guy they need higher than expected. Now look at the craphole they're in.

Actually they were, the insider who knows most about the Oilers aka Bob Stauffer eluded to it. And if they did take Sergachev that day, that would've left Puljujarvi (who's still a damn young 19 year old and raw) to the flames. Like I said, its easy for you to play hindsight after a year has past. Should the islanders get called stupid because they took Michael Dal Colle over guys like Ehlers, Nylander, Larkin, and Pastrnak? Give me a break.

Reactions: ivanlwan

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

I’d still take Nurse over Risto all day long. Yakupov and Puljujarvi were the best players with that pick and JP’s a long way from a write off. That’s said, hindsight is always 20/20. Plenty of people wanted Nichishkin in the worst way and Morin was highly touted as well.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I’d still take Nurse over Risto all day long. Yakupov and Puljujarvi were the best players with that pick and JP’s a long way from a write off. That’s said, hindsight is always 20/20. Plenty of people wanted Nichishkin in the worst way and Morin was highly touted as well.

The draft is always a crap shoot. Every team makes misses or snags one. How dare the Avalanche draft Duncan Siemens when Oscar Klefbom was available!

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Those guys both only have one year left. It's not like they are signing a guy under contract for 5 years.

I don't expect that Karlsson wants to play in Edmonton though.
I'd imagine playing with Connor for the next 8 years would be pretty attractive.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
it was a terrible trade. They originally offered the same picks for Hamilton (which were slightly better picks than Calgary) but Boston decided to take the worse deal so they didnt have to trade with Chiarelli. I dont know what happened there, maybe some bridges got burned when he left - im not sure.

Ah, right you are. I was outside of the Western World at that time so I only really saw the hard data around draft day and summer moves. Thanks for the clarification. The packages were similar, but it seems as though the ask from Edmonton was indeed much higher.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Ah, right you are. I was outside of the Western World at that time so I only really saw the hard data around draft day and summer moves. Thanks for the clarification. The packages were similar, but it seems as though the ask from Edmonton was indeed much higher.

Yeah, its true. They wanted Nurse added to the package that was still better than Calgary.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I think Dustin Byfuglien and his $7.6m cap hit would be more of a priority to clear. He's an aging defender who plays a physical game and isn't really known for his outstanding fitness. Getting further into his 30s, that contract may get a bit riskier and more difficult to clear.

What?

Buff is having one of his best seasons this year with a much more balanced play. Fitness was an issue one year when his father passed away......for the last 2+ years fitness hasn’t been any issue, in fact he’s averaged the most mins played over the last couple years on the Jets.....Buff is a big man that’s in very good shape. Highly doubt he waives to leave a top 5 team to go to a bottom 5 team who is rebuilding. That’s not meant as a shot at the Oilers it’s just a fact. Buff is to critical to the Jets contending over the next 2-3 years to trade him even if he agreed to waive......so if we did the return would be more then you would want to pay. Buff is a legit top pairing guy who can play both physically & offensively like few other D in the nhl. I doubt you could lure the Jets into trading him, he’s a big part of our core & leadership group.

Reactions: Snowman and Huffer

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Just reading the tea leaves. Hallebuyck, Trouba and Morrissey this summer. Myers, Wheeler, Laine and Connor next. There's going to be some players they're going to have to be 'not loyal' to.

Myers is gone after next season and Toby is gone after this one.....there about 11-12 million right there or so. There will likely be a bridge in there for one of our guys but that’s common and not a big deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad