The Oilers, Jets, Jacob Trouba and 2016 Entry Draft

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Trading a young top D- man for a future top forward is stupid. The reason why the Blackhawks have won 3 cups Keith and Seabrook not Kane and Toews.
Just look at the Oilers ... Drafting all these top gun forwards year and year and they are still drafting at the top after another losing season. Stanley Cup teams have great defencemen and you guys want to trade them away for more forwards.
If I'm Chevy ... any team that wants Trouba ... It will cost you 2 first rounders.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Trading a young top D- man for a future top forward is stupid. The reason why the Blackhawks have won 3 cups Keith and Seabrook not Kane and Toews.
Just look at the Oilers ... Drafting all these top gun forwards year and year and they are still drafting at the top after another losing season. Stanley Cup teams have great defencemen and you guys want to trade them away for more forwards.
If I'm Chevy ... any team that wants Trouba ... It will cost you 2 first rounders.

Boston has 3 from last year?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
No - Trouba (plus one, maybe) for Edmonton's first round pick, and then that first round pick for Hamonic.

So we give up enough to acquire Edm's 1st and use that to acquire Hamonic? Edm's 1st has got to be worth somewhere close to 2 Hamonics unless they win the lottery then it is 3 Hamonics. Or thereabouts.

I don't think we get Edmonton's 1st for Trouba and a small + and if we do I am certainly not selling it for Hamonic.

SoCalJetsFan

Sponsor
Oct 5, 2015
Temecula, CA
OR. We could keep Trouba. Trade Myers instead. Postma is much cheaper and has pretty similar possession numbers. (Albeit with a much smaller sample size)

Agree, would really like to see Trouba with Toby for 20 or 30 games to see how good he can be and see what Postma can do playing regularly.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

That's more like it! They better be top 20 1sts too. None of this late 1st crap. :)

supersonic jet

Jun 22, 2014
Winnipeg
Oilers don't want Trouba. They picked Yakupov.

If coilers get 1st over all let them pick a defenseman otherwise let them continue there futile effort to assemble a good team. If they want Trouba they can offer sheet him and we will take their next 3 first rounders.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The Jets are 28th out of 30 for payroll, the article is dead on. Not that we couldn't spend, but we definitely do not at this point.

http://www.nhlpa.com/the-players/team-compensation

The Jets payroll this season is an artifact of how their contracts and pending FAs line up.

If they had a high payroll this year they wouldn't have room to sign the FAs for next season (Buff, Scheifele, Trouba, Lowry).

It's cap management, not "empty pockets". I'm not sure why that's not obvious to some.

powder88

Nov 21, 2013
I'm always amazed at the reluctance of GM's of terrible teams (and the Jets are a terrible team, and have been a pretty terrible team for much of the last five years) to shake up their roster. The Oilers' insistence on running out essentially the same flawed team year after year after year after year has always baffled me. You'd think that the 20 teams in the league each year who have no shot at the Cup wouldn't be so enamoured with their flawed rosters.

As far as this thread is concerned, there is no chance we trade Trouba for a pick outside the top 3. What is far more interesting (but would never happen) is whether you would make the trade before the lottery took place? It would create the possibility of getting as much as the first two picks in the draft on the one hand; or as low as #5 and #7 on the other (if the current standings hold).

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'm always amazed at the reluctance of GM's of terrible teams (and the Jets are a terrible team, and have been a pretty terrible team for much of the last five years) to shake up their roster. The Oilers' insistence on running out essentially the same flawed team year after year after year after year has always baffled me. You'd think that the 20 teams in the league each year who have no shot at the Cup wouldn't be so enamoured with their flawed rosters.

As far as this thread is concerned, there is no chance we trade Trouba for a pick outside the top 3. What is far more interesting (but would never happen) is whether you would make the trade before the lottery took place? It would create the possibility of getting as much as the first two picks in the draft on the one hand; or as low as #5 and #7 on the other (if the current standings hold).

Teams generally don't trade a lottery pick if there is a good chance it could be #1 overall.

Say What

Building a Legacy 4/28/96 Never again!!
Jan 18, 2015
If Edmonton has the 1st OA (Matthews), I think the Jets would be better served trading for L. Draisaitl. Peter Chiarelli won't/can't keep all that firepower down the middle; so take the asset that can be attained for a reasonable cost.

Trouba + (Burmistrov or De Leo or 2016, 2nd [32nd-36th?]) for Draisaitl + Edm 2016, 2nd (31st OA).

The Jets would have Draisaitl, 2nd-6th? OA, Chi's 1st and the 31st pick.

Swapping the 2nd round picks is irrelevant if we're in the 2 slot. But it would be an asset if we are picking around 6th, =36th. Obviously the Edmonton+ would depend on what they took as the Trouba+. I don't think a Trouba/Draisaitl deal flies straight up (salary, experience, contract status, etc. etc.).

To the OP, I wouldn't add significantly to Trouba, to obtain the 1st OA. The same result can be achieved at a much lesser cost.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
If Trouba went straight up for Matthews I think that would be alright, but anything else should involve Klefbom coming back,plus something else, it mitigates losing Trouba and balances out the d....

Edgar Halliwax

aka Marvin Candle
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
I think Connors is a better prospect than anyone available this year so whatever happens is fine with me. Chevy is not going to give Trouba away.

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010
The Jets are 28th out of 30 for payroll, the article is dead on. Not that we couldn't spend, but we definitely do not at this point.

http://www.nhlpa.com/the-players/team-compensation

I'm well aware of where the Jets' 2015-16 payroll lands. The author's inference that it is because the team lacks "deep pockets" and somehow may not be able to afford Hamonic's $5M contract is anything but dead on and shows the author's lack of grasp of the Jets' financials... which is why I pretty much dismissed the entire piece. It's not 1995 anymore dude.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad