The Oilers, Jets, Jacob Trouba and 2016 Entry Draft

Georgetown Al*

Georgetown Al
Oct 6, 2015
The Oilers, Jets, Jacob Trouba and 2016 Entry Draft

This article is by Rob Soria an Oiler beat writer.

While the level of expectation on the Edmonton Oilers was nowhere as high as what the Winnipeg Jets faced heading into the 2015-16 NHL campaign, both clubs seasons can be viewed as nothing other than utter disappointments. So it would only seem natural to come to the conclusion that the two organizations will be looking to making changes to their rosters heading into the 2016 Entry Draft. With that being the case, would it really be so far-fetched to see Peter Chiarelli and Kevin Cheveldayoff make a blockbuster deal revolving around the Oilers first-round pick and defenceman Jacob Trouba?

http://thehockeywriters.com/the-oilers-jets-jacob-trouba-and-2016-entry-draft/

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
The Jets would have to add something significant. I'd guess it would take Trouba plus one of:
1. our first round pick
2. The Chicago 1st round and a 2nd round pick
3. A player like Little

Georgetown Al*

Georgetown Al
Oct 6, 2015
As per the article linked here again:

http://thehockeywriters.com/the-oile...6-entry-draft/

Trouba Is Exactly What The Oilers Need

Obviously, from an Oilers standpoint, the organization would not move the pick if it were to turn out to be a top three selection but that would likely change if they slot somewhere else in the final pecking order. If Winnipeg were able to grab Hamonic out of New York without parting with their own first rounder and then flip Trouba to Edmonton, the Jets would potentially be adding two major pieces to their organization for the future, while still maintaining a solid lineup for the upcoming season. Like it or not, it would be something worth visiting.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
or we could not trade trouba,

keep our pick,

and still have 2 key pieces for the future?

Whileee

May 29, 2010

keep our pick,

I go with this plan.

I take Trouba over any of the players outside the top-2 or 3, and probably wouldn't trade him straight up for one of the Finns.

The Jets should only move Trouba as part of a package for Matthews.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014

keep our pick,

Yeah, why are we giving credence to these ****ing *******s who are wasting time with ****ing Friedman's made-up ********?

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I don't want to lose Trouba, but I'd move him for Matthews in a scenario where we could also get Hamonic for other pieces (not including our own 1st, Morrissey, or Connor).

It would sting, but could make us a better team overall.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
As per the article linked here again:

http://thehockeywriters.com/the-oile...6-entry-draft/

Trouba Is Exactly What The Oilers Need

Obviously, from an Oilers standpoint, the organization would not move the pick if it were to turn out to be a top three selection but that would likely change if they slot somewhere else in the final pecking order. If Winnipeg were able to grab Hamonic out of New York without parting with their own first rounder and then flip Trouba to Edmonton, the Jets would potentially be adding two major pieces to their organization for the future, while still maintaining a solid lineup for the upcoming season. Like it or not, it would be something worth visiting.

It hinges on getting Hamonic which is unlikely unless we give Trouba to NYI. That would be a firing offense by Chevy. It could be considered if Chevy can get Hamonic without overpaying. But then if the Oil pick also has to slip down remind me why we are doing this? So we can draft Chychrun 6th? I guess it does offload the immediate problem of negotiating with Trouba and it converts him to a LHD asset. OTOH we then have to wait 2-3 years and hope Chych equals Trouba.

Seems terribly convoluted for little benefit to either team.

Maybe if the Oil have one of the top 3 picks they might want to trade down for 2 later picks and take 2 D men. But that is another whole proposition.

Edit: At the end of the day there is no reason for the Jets to be interested unless we clearly win the trade.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
It hinges on getting Hamonic which is unlikely unless we give Trouba to NYI. That would be a firing offense by Chevy. It could be considered if Chevy can get Hamonic without overpaying. But then if the Oil pick also has to slip down remind me why we are doing this? So we can draft Chychrun 6th? I guess it does offload the immediate problem of negotiating with Trouba and it converts him to a LHD asset. OTOH we then have to wait 2-3 years and hope Chych equals Trouba.

Seems terribly convoluted for little benefit to either team.

Maybe if the Oil have one of the top 3 picks they might want to trade down for 2 later picks and take 2 D men. But that is another whole proposition.

Trouba + pick/prospect for Matthews.

Little + pick/prospect for Hamonic.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
I'm not a fan of Trouba but the Jets should keep him as long as he agrees to a bridge of not more than $4.5 million a year.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
If they land the #1 overall pick and they are willing to trade it for Trouba and our own 1st, sure. But they won't. They'd want Trouba, our own 1st, Chicagos 1st and something like Petan or so.

thats too much for us to give up.

:shakehead

Not even close.

don't worry, I can assure you he's sain and wasn't too serious.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
If they land the #1 overall pick and they are willing to trade it for Trouba and our own 1st, sure. But they won't. They'd want Trouba, our own 1st, Chicagos 1st and something like Petan or so.

thats too much for us to give up.

I wouldn't do Trouba and our own 1st alone. The Jets may have to add a little, but I don't agree that we'd have to massively add to Trouba in this situation.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Trouba + pick/prospect for Matthews.

Little + pick/prospect for Hamonic.

Well the article specified that the Oil would have to draft outside the first 3. But for a team that needs D it might be possible. Those adds would both have to be good but it could be worth it to get Mathews.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm not a fan of Trouba but the Jets should keep him as long as he agrees to a bridge of not more than $4.5 million a year.

That is not a bridge deal for Trouba. D men who have accomplished more than he has are signing 6x4. A bridge deal for Trouba is 2x3.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
This WPG-EDM hypothetical is nothing new, it's been discussed since Trouba's (rumoured) contract demands became public.

I would do Trouba for first overall without much hesitation. Trouba + WPG's first for first overall looks like overpayment on the surface, it basically requires Matthews to become a top 15 C down the road for the Jets to come out on top. Also, I honestly don't have an accurate enough gauge on how far ahead Matthews is compared to the rest of the field that will be available where the Jets pick (the Finns, Dubois, Chychrun, etc.)

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I wouldn't do Trouba and our own 1st alone. The Jets may have to add a little, but I don't agree that we'd have to massively add to Trouba in this situation.

I think so. We're talking Matthews here. There are other teams in the league with a very good young defenseman. As soon as the word about #1 overall getting traded for a top pairing projected defenseman would be out, the bidding war would begin and there would be better offers than "only" Trouba and a top 10 pick. It's unrealistic to think about a trade like that in that small of a frame. Take Carolina for example. I'm pretty sure they'd pay Hanifin, 1st, 2nd, two good prospects for Matthews. And they should IMO.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I think so. We're talking Matthews here. There are other teams in the league with a very good young defenseman. As soon as the word about #1 overall getting shipped for a top pairing projected defenseman, the bidding war would begin and there would be better offers than Trouba and a top 10 pic. It's unrealistic to think about a trade like that in that small of a frame. Take Carolina for example. I'm pretty sure they'd pay Hanifin, 1st, 2nd, two good prospects for Matthews. And they should IMO.

Agree to disagree then. Personally, I think you are undervaluing the value of young, already proven NHL D men like Trouba and Hanifin. It would likely take an add on the acquiring team's part due to Matthews age, potential, and years of cost controlled status and ELC, but guys like Trouba and Hanifin carry an immense amount of value as well.

If I was the Canes I might make that deal, but their pick could also be in the mid teens. Although I wouldn't be adding two more good prospects (depends on the definition of good I guess). Our own 1st could be in the top 5. That's way too much IMO.

I'd possibly add pieces in the value neighborhood of the Chicago 1st, Harkins, Spacek, etc tier, but nothing near our own 1st, Connor, Morrissey, etc tier.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
I think so. We're talking Matthews here. There are other teams in the league with a very good young defenseman. As soon as the word about #1 overall getting traded for a top pairing projected defenseman would be out, the bidding war would begin and there would be better offers than "only" Trouba and a top 10 pick. It's unrealistic to think about a trade like that in that small of a frame. Take Carolina for example. I'm pretty sure they'd pay Hanifin, 1st, 2nd, two good prospects for Matthews. And they should IMO.

IMO you're overrating Matthews.

We have no idea how good he's going to be. There's a chance he peaks as a low-end #1C/excellent #2C, in which case acquiring him for Trouba and a top five pick is a loss for the Jets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad