The Oilers Are Close To Making Some Serious Noise

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
What's up with people's fascination with Clowe? Dude is slow and doesn't fit in in the Oilers' top-6. We're about skill and speed; It's too late to change that now. The coaching staff will just have to devise a system that utilizes those two attributes best.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
What's up with people's fascination with Clowe? Dude is slow and doesn't fit in in the Oilers' top-6. We're about skill and speed; It's too late to change that now. The coaching staff will just have to devise a system that utilizes those two attributes best.

Clowe hits, fights and scores 20 goals. He's exactly the type of player our top 6 needs.

IMO a line of Hemsky, Gagner and Yakupov will disappear in the playoffs against the bigger teams.

Crazy idea.

Bring back Raffi Torres.
He only shows up for about 15 of the 82 games...and he'll get suspended twice in those 15 games when he's actually hitting people. I have no respect for him as a player.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
Clowe hits, fights and scores 20 goals. He's exactly the type of player our top 6 needs.

IMO a line of Hemsky, Gagner and Yakupov will disappear in the playoffs against the bigger teams.
Based on the stats that David Staples has been posting after every game Gagner is right in the midst of the scoring chances generated race with RNH, Hall, Eberle and Justin Schultz. Hemsky and Yakupov are lagging behind and the bottom two lines are producing zilch. Forget about goals and assists... they're not producing any offensive chances.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
Crazy idea.

Bring back Raffi Torres.

He definitely brings a lot of what we're missing. He'd come cheap, he's hard to play against, and you could put him on any line and he'd get results. He's a streaky scorer, but he doesn't have to score every night in order to help you win games.

I don't know how well your suggestion is going to go over. There were a lot of people around here who were very happy to see Torres leave Edmonton.

Here's a nice little trip down memory lane in case you forgot, or weren't around at the time;

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=530427

I particularly enjoyed re-reading post #178, myself.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
He definitely brings a lot of what we're missing. He'd come cheap, he's hard to play against, and you could put him on any line and he'd get results. He's a streaky scorer, but he doesn't have to score every night in order to help you win games.

I don't know how well your suggestion is going to go over. There were a lot of people around here who were very happy to see Torres leave Edmonton.

Here's a nice little trip down memory lane in case you forgot, or weren't around at the time;

Show off. ;)

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City

LOL, on post 178.

Awesome foreshadowing on your part Misfit!:clap::clap:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It'd be funny if Dustin Penner ended up back here. Seems like he's in the doghouse again.

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
I think this team's top 6 thinks they are too skilled for their own good. If you watch any NHL hockey, you know that most goals aren't pretty plays, but rebounds, traffic in front of the net, etc. I think our players are more than capable of doing that, but the hype of them having so much skill is getting to their heads, and their trying to make every goal a pretty goal, which simply won't happen against NHL defenses regularly.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton

Good call Misfit.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
I agree with the size stuff, but penciling in Klefbom is a mistake. The Oilers are just going to get worse if they add another untrained rookie defenseman - especially one that hasn't played a minute of north american pro hockey and just missed close to a year of development.

I have my doubts that Klefbom will be ready next year anyway. If he didn't get injured I wouldn't have any doubts, but maybe he'll need another year in the SEL to get back into it after missing a whole year. Maybe he'll need some time in the AHL. We'll just have to wait and see with him, so I'm not getting my expectations high.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The loss of Eager really hurt us IMO, without him our forwards are without that physical element. We really need to get a more physical player to replace Petrell IMO, hell maybe even try Peckham at wing for a few games to see how he does.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
Petrell's physical play hasn't been lacking from what I've seen, though he's definitely a replaceable part in the lineup. As for the loss of Eager, I don't see any difference between having him or Hordichuk in the lineup. They might want to play him more than 1 minute if they feel they need that element though.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Show off. ;)

All the cool kids are doing it:

Replacement said:
As much as everybody was driving Stoll and Torres under the bus around here thats 2 of the perennial tophitters on this lineup now gone.

Physically speaking Storres were some of the hardest oilers to play against.

We absolutely have a size mismatch at forward right now. Not pleased with this.

This is gonna be like ice capades watching Penner let up on hits.

Want prophetic?

"Storres" I take credit for that as well.;) They were a good hitting tagteam to have around. Useful hard to play against players. Now I have watch drudgery like Eager and Hordi try to play a role and try to play hockey.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Petrell's physical play hasn't been lacking from what I've seen, though he's definitely a replaceable part in the lineup. As for the loss of Eager, I don't see any difference between having him or Hordichuk in the lineup. They might want to play him more than 1 minute if they feel they need that element though.

Petrell bumps guys more than he hits them to hurt, when you have as soft of a team as we do you need some bruisers out there and Petrell IMO isn't good enough in that role. I like him as a 13th/14th forward that you can toss into your bottom 6 in case of injury, that's about it.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
While the Oilers are definitely not the most physical team - I've said it before - it's the lack of defensive awareness that will cost them points and games.

Is Detroit physical? Is San Jose? Is Pittsburgh? Each has a very skilled top six, but most importantly, they're also defensively competent.

San Jose become much better the day that Joe Thornton became more of a team player and worked on his defense. Detroit became a better team when Stevie Y gave up his all-offense game and became one of the top twoway centres, and Datsyuk and Zetterberg have taken up his mantle.

Until the Oilers get better defensively, they will be pretenders before contenders.

BowDangles

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
While the Oilers are definitely not the most physical team - I've said it before - it's the lack of defensive awareness that will cost them points and games.

Is Detroit physical? Is San Jose? Is Pittsburgh? Each has a very skilled top six, but most importantly, they're also defensively competent.

San Jose become much better the day that Joe Thornton became more of a team player and worked on his defense. Detroit became a better team when Stevie Y gave up his all-offense game and became one of the top twoway centres, and Datsyuk and Zetterberg have taken up his mantle.

Until the Oilers get better defensively, they will be pretenders before contenders.

San Jose and Pittsburgh are not overly physical but their top six is big. So when they play against big forwards or defensemen they do not get pushed around easily..

Detroit would be the only real comparison but even though they are not tall the majority of their forwards are stocky and filled out. (Datsyuk, Zetterberg..)

This being said they do need to be more defensively, but for the young guys this usually comes with time..

member 145483

San Jose and Pittsburgh are not overly physical but their top six is big. So when they play against big forwards or defensemen they do not get pushed around easily..

Detroit would be the only real comparison but even though they are not tall the majority of their forwards are stocky and filled out. (Datsyuk, Zetterberg..)

This being said they do need to be more defensively, but for the young guys this usually comes with time..

How is Edmonton small?

I just ran some numbers vs the SCC...LA.

I even accounted for how much time the players spent on ice, cause size just doesn't mean squat parked on a bench.

This is how small the Oilers are in comparison:
We are 0.3" shorter than LA on average based on player TOI.
We are 4 lbs lighter than LA on average based on player TOI.

Look at that huge difference. Tell a couple of our players to defecate after the weigh in, instead of before, and we are on par with the size of the Stanley Cup Champions.

Size and physicality are not our issues. How we use our players is.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Based on the stats that David Staples has been posting after every game Gagner is right in the midst of the scoring chances generated race with RNH, Hall, Eberle and Justin Schultz. Hemsky and Yakupov are lagging behind and the bottom two lines are producing zilch. Forget about goals and assists... they're not producing any offensive chances.

That feels about right. I'd like to see Paajarvi moved up to Hemmer's spot, and then Hemmer to the 3rd line with Horc and Smyth.

I think the shut down value of the 3rd line is minimized if there isn't an individual scoring threat on it to capitalize on the turnovers their strong positional play creates. That was always the secret of their success together.

On the other hand, Yak and Gags can manufacture offence on their own... Paajarvi is a good complementary player, as the play doesn't die on his stick this year, but he can't generate the offence himself. He can also be the first guy back, allowing Gags a little more time to catch back up defensively (since he is more of a behind the net C than a guy who hangs back in the slot).

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
All the cool kids are doing it:

Want prophetic?

"Storres" I take credit for that as well.;) They were a good hitting tagteam to have around. Useful hard to play against players. Now I have watch drudgery like Eager and Hordi try to play a role and try to play hockey.

We couldn't afford to pay Storres the ~$6M between the two of them given where their game was going (3rd & 4th line role players).

Plus nobody around here could accept that is what they were... we still wanted our 30G (torres) and 60 points (Stoll) out of the pair of them.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Our hits leaders through 4 games are..... On D Smid and Fistric with 8 and Petry with 7, up front we have Yakupov with 4.

Detroit: On D they have Kronwall with 2 but who is widely known as a guy that can clean your clock with a big hit. Currently Lashoff and Smith have 4 hits apiece on the blueline for the team lead. Up front they have 5 players that have as many or more hits than Nail albeit for some of them in 1 more game. Their leaders in hits up front are Abdelkader and Tootoo with 10 each and then Cleary with 6 and Franzen with 5.

Pittsburgh has no less than 10 forwards with more hits than Nail albeit some in 5 games. Their forward leaders include: Kunitz with 18, Adams and Glass with 15 each, Cooke with 13, Dupuis with 9, Neal with 8, and even Sid has 6 hits in 5 games. Then they have Orpik with 11 and Engelland with 6, Engelland of course can also kick some ass when the gloves are off.

San Jose has 6 forwards with a hit a game or more led by Clowe (15) and Wingels (13). On D they have this guy named Douglas Murray who is a barrel chested beast of a man that has 15 hits to tie for the team lead then they have Stuart who just rocked Landeskog's world the other night and he has 6 hits on the year.

So am I to believe that our toughness and physicality is anywhere close to these teams? We had Eager who when on his game can bring that element, Hordi who is a goon and at most a 4th liner, Fistric who seems to be caught on the outside of a love triangle between Krueger, Potter and ? and then Smid who will rough and tumble isn't the biggest of hitters. Petry can bring that element when he's up to the task. Then there's Hartikainen whose physical game was inconsistent in the AHL and hasn't been that noticeable this season in Edmonton. Our 3rd line is softer than a man that caught a glimpse of Rosie O'donell in the nude.

Petrell has all of 2 hits in 4 games this season, players that have more hits than he does on our team: Yakupov, Gagner, Eager (in his 1 game), Hartikainen (in 1 less game), and Ryan Whitney. Players that are tied with Petrell: Belanger, Nick Schultz, Justin Schultz (I've noticed him being more physical than at any point in the AHL this year). Our combined hit total for our 3rd and 4th lines are as such:

Eager-3 (one game)
Hartikainen-3
Petrell-2
Belanger-2
Horcoff-1
Hordichuk-1 (one shift)
Smyth-1
Paajarvi-0

13 hits in 4 games or a little over 3 hits a game. Without Eager's contributions: 10 hits over 4 games or 2.5 hits/game. Without Hordichuk's memorable shift and Eager's game: 9 hits in 4 games.

Pittsburgh has 4 forwards that have as many hits by themselves as our entire 3rd and 4th lines have this season.

San Jose has 2 forwards that have as many hits by themselves as our entire 3rd and 4th lines have this season.

Detroit has 2 forwards that have just 3 less hits than our entire 3rd and 4th lines have this season.

Our team is a full of pushovers and that gets magnified when Eager and Fistric are out of the lineup.

Last edited:

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City

Sooner or later Tambo will have to get it in his head that this team needs size/grit in its top 6.If he doesn't get it,well then,have fun constantly losing series after series in the first/second rounds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad