The Oilers Are Close To Making Some Serious Noise

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
We are in no ways close to making a push if you think we need to get rid of 5 or 6 players. Let's be realistic here: the Oilers are underdogs. Any playoffs and beyond would be above expectations for 90% of the league. We just need to keep building from within, and once we're a piece or two away pull the trigger on a trade. I'm not even sure we need to make a trade down the road because we have a lot of good foundational pieces for a franchise like Eberle, Hall, RNH, Yakapov, Schultz and Smid.

I wouldn't be so sure. Teams built around young players with the kind of potential the Oilers' youth has can improve in a hurry once the light goes on.

Chicago 's lineup didn't change much from 07/08 and 09/10 when they went from drafting in the top 10 to winning the Stanley Cup. The biggest difference between the two teams was Kane/Toews weren't rookies anymore.

Depth is important, but teams generally win on the strength of their best players, and young players of that calibre (Kane/Toews/Hall/Nuge/Eberle/etc.) can get a lot better in a hurry.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Where was the problem in Sam Gagner's game last night? Set up the game tieing goal on a sweet pass and got the GWG in the shootout.

Ya, no kidding. Too funny, has a great game and the next day we need a upgrade. I thought his pass on the Hemsky goal was aweseom, really underrated play. He looks to the other side of the ice, the whole D shifts that way, then drops it to Hemmer. type of play that looks easy, but, only players with good hockey sense make.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I honestly think Whitney is getting a bum rap. Even last night, while he is a step slower, he showed that he has one of the best first passes on the team, and can still play in all scenarios. Just can't replace a guy like that at the drop of a hat.

Keep in mind he hasn't seen any game action in a long time. Let him get a couple of games under his belt.

All that we've heard about is how healthy and how good he's feeling now. Having that much time to heal, train, etc. he should at least look quick out there with some extra adrenaline due to it being the first game of the season. Instead I saw a very slow player that doesn't have a great point shot (never really has), can make really nice passes out of the zone when he isn't pressured because he is too slow to get around defenders. Sorry but I just don't think that we'll see anything close to the same player that we did when he first came over.

smarf.jpg

I've seen enough of most of these players over the last 3 years+ to know most of their abilities pretty well, so what's your take or are you just one of those great contributors that think that they are witty by posting pics from movies?

yeah... its way, way, way too early to judge whitney... lets have this conversation again in 15-20 games

even with as slow as he looked last night, and he did look slow, his first pass was very good nad he can play on my bottom pairing any day

but yeah, lets wait a month or a month and a half and see then

So let's say that he is at his best right now, doesn't add a step, etc. what do you plan on doing with him at years end or even prior to the deadline? What kind of a contract do you offer him? Personally I'd rather move him ASAP and make a play for someone with more speed and less of a injury history.

I think this is as healthy as Ryan Whitney is going to get, and I'm not sure it's healthy enough.

Exactly, we've heard about how great he's feeling, how he's healthy, etc. After watching him last night it looks like that was all lip service from him trying to milk a Horcoffian contract from the Oilers.

Agreed about Smyth. He is just going to slow down as the season wears on. But I also agree that he is a perfect role model for Harski and they should do some good work together.

You couldn't ask for a better mentor for Harski, but I'd toy with the idea of seeing if Smyth would retire and become a coach next season.

Where was the problem in Sam Gagner's game last night? Set up the game tieing goal on a sweet pass and got the GWG in the shootout.

IIRC he tried to dump and chase on the PP and got beaten to the puck pretty handily and had another bad decision or two. Far from one of his worst games, but let me ask you this, if you were of the belief at the end of last season that Gagner needed to be replaced and you saw last night's game would that have been enough for you to change your mind?

We are in no ways close to making a push if you think we need to get rid of 5 or 6 players. Let's be realistic here: the Oilers are underdogs. Any playoffs and beyond would be above expectations for 90% of the league. We just need to keep building from within, and once we're a piece or two away pull the trigger on a trade. I'm not even sure we need to make a trade down the road because we have a lot of good foundational pieces for a franchise like Eberle, Hall, RNH, Yakapov, Schultz and Smid.

We have some placeholders right now and I've named them in my OP. That said it doesn't mean that guys like Gagner are really poor players like say Strudwick or Foster on D from years past. We have in essence 6 game changers offensively if Hemsky can stay focused and healthy, we have some really solid defensive players as well. I do not see any non NHLers on this club right now with the possible exceptions being Potter and Paajarvi and neither are playing prominent roles. My point is that until we upgrade on many of the players that I listed in my OP we will not be ready to contend for anything meaningful/beyond the 2nd round of the playoffs.

I wouldn't be so sure. Teams built around young players with the kind of potential the Oilers' youth has can improve in a hurry once the light goes on.

Chicago 's lineup didn't change much from 07/08 and 09/10 when they went from drafting in the top 10 to winning the Stanley Cup. The biggest difference between the two teams was Kane/Toews weren't rookies anymore.

Depth is important, but teams generally win on the strength of their best players, and young players of that calibre (Kane/Toews/Hall/Nuge/Eberle/etc.) can get a lot better in a hurry.

Exactly, and once guys like Nail and J. Schultz become comfortable with the speed of the NHL we will get a major boost.

Ya, no kidding. Too funny, has a great game and the next day we need a upgrade. I thought his pass on the Hemsky goal was aweseom, really underrated play. He looks to the other side of the ice, the whole D shifts that way, then drops it to Hemmer. type of play that looks easy, but, only players with good hockey sense make.

That was a good play, however great game? Seriously?

RoboNerdOK

HFBoards Snarkster
Jun 30, 2011
Oklahoma City Metro
We potentially could make some noise -- but I have a feeling our game against San Jose will introduce splash some cold, hard reality on us when they start laying out the punishment. I really hope I'm wrong, and we dance circles around them like we did some of the Nucks. It's certainly going to be a good test of how well we can handle the bruisers of the NHL.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Are we still arguing that the coach who created the system doesn't know which man is supposed to cover who?

goal #1: dubnyk and potter

goal #2: whitney or potter

goal on tuesday: fistric for not murdering potter

Angry Boys

Jun 23, 2009
If we are within a few points of 8th come the trade deadline ( April 3 ), I could see the Oilers being active. The last time we made the playoffs , we added 4 important pieces just before the deadline
We may be looking at a similar plan, though this will be subject to how many teams will be sellers this year. Given the short season and the lack of sellers in recent years, we will have to wait and see.

RoboNerdOK

HFBoards Snarkster
Jun 30, 2011
Oklahoma City Metro
To start with, I like Gags BUT if he marks his man, Kassian never scores Vans 2nd goal. He had a decent game, great no

I don't agree. Gags went for lane coverage over man coverage because he couldn't see the puck due to two men in the way. Statistically it's the better option because you risk opening two more shot lanes by taking one player who has nearly twice the passing options as before -- you open a lot of ice for him. Sam made the better play, but the better play just didn't work out. But that's the way it goes sometimes.

Notice that Whitney was way out of place for that goal also. And Yak sped in front of where Whitney should have been (which is probably why Whitney was out of place), and then didn't challenge for the puck quick enough to prevent the pass after his poke check failed behind the net. On top of all that, the puck wasn't appropriately challenged for entry at the blue line.

There were a LOT of factors in play on that second goal. Gagner's position was way down on the list.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
And scores a goal in the Shootout, ya, great game, isn't the enough?

That does not constitute a great game, was he important in the win? Sure. Was he great? Not IMO. Now naturally "great" is subjective so I'm not saying that I'm right and you're wrong, but my idea of great and your idea of great are obviously 2 different things. I thought that Petry had a great game for example as did N. Schultz and Eager.

BadMedicine*

The Oilers are close to making some big noise alright,we just arent sure if the bang will be the air blowing out of their sails or if it will be them breaking the playoff door down.

I wasnt impressed with their first game at all,the two pionts of course give them a passing grade but it is a c-.

First period chaos,playing a dump and chase game ,with all our speed and skill this is regressive.

Little to no support for the d-men to battle the forcheck because everyone was set up for the fastbreak all night.

Poor possesion to shot conversion rate,way to many non-forced turnovers or surrenders of possesion.

No noticable netfront presence.

Both goals in reg time were catalysed out of individual efforts,and were one dimensional,in other words they were not system generated,they were superman efforts.

The upside was the standout performance of the 3rd and 4th lines.Had we had Hemmer on the 3rd line instead of Harti he would probably have scored from there considering the energy and jump that line showed.We missed MPSs skillset on the 2nd line and we hamstrung our 1st line by asking them to play dump and chase.

I do not buy Ralphs salesjob postgame about everyone "sticking with it"as being a positive to take out of this game,we were a shambles and were losing for most of the night,Dubby had a great game.If I agree with Ralph then I agree that it was sticking with the system choices and coaching that gave us those two points,but I cannot do that because I believe we stole those two points with pure talent and deep skillsets.

We werent able to get our first transition out of our own end going at all for the entire game,we werent identifying and adjusting to the forchecking they were putting on us,our staff didnt see the need to adjust our defensive zone exit strategy and it ruined the flow of the game for us and negated our speed both N/S and E/W.

We have a lot to work on and right away because that system execution wil not win us a Stanley Cup wether the players bust their humps for Krueger or not,which they did in that game.

A consistant and conservative game of dump and chase makes us a mortal team and easy to counter,if this is what we think will see us through this 48 game schedule best we wont need to worry after 24 games because we will be toast already.

The schedule isnt that devastating,and we cant afford to stutter-step ,we need to bring a more cohesive first transition out of our zone and this means we need to abandon the fastbreak or we will die by it sooner than later--we need to see a much more creative gameplan or we waste to many player catalysed resources.This first game performance was a loud noise alright ,it was a shot across our bow from a tired demoralised team.

We will win our share of close games because of our deeper skillset,but kid yourself not,a well functioning system will eat us up if we start games playing dump and chase and voluntarily surrendering puck possesions without generating a minimum of one and if able two shots on goal,every time we cough up that puck wether it is system generated by our coaching tactics as a dump in is,or wether it is forced through on-ice pressure we lose possesion/shot conversions and that means offense ,loosely translated into goals--which are all we really want to begin with.

Game #1 --grade C-

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
BadMedicine, I wouldn't get all hung up about the iffy system play right now.

Krueger himself said that he wasn't going to focus on that during training camp because it was more imperative to get everyone on the same page mentally and physically first. You've got a young team with its third head coach in 4 years - they're not going to be as systems-oriented right off the bat (especially with a shortened training camp) as a veteran team like Detroit who have many returning players (and the same coach).

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Thought the Oiles played a very good game considering:

-first game, gotta expect rust, jitters and chemistry issues
-we played a Team that already shook that out the night before
-Vancouver is a good Team to begin with
- We had many scoring chances created by speed and talent, I thought we were all over them a lot of times through-out the game

I go "B" myself, good exciting game. Why all the negativity with a lot of posts??

BadMedicine*

@Cloned

I understand that Krueger needs to find a baseline for everyone to work from ASAP,I just get gunshy when I see him choose a dump and chase style to build from,this is his choice and he is a pro.And he was slow to adjust our first defensive zone transition when their forcheck overran us.I am not sure but both problems seem connected to me somehow.

I am also worried about the criteria he is using to develop our line combos,it seems like more of the statistical analysis snakeoil.Last night it was sold hard to us in the media, but it is horse-radish.Gagners best move is exactly what he used,Hemmer deked his own shorts off as usual,and post-game Luongo had the wherewithall to say that both players deviated from their usual moves,ha ha ha,talk about behind the back handshakes,ha ha ha.

If we are using this garbage statistical analysis to input on how we construct our lines we are in deep trouble and thats how it looks to me.

There are three types of players,1 dimensional thinkers,2 dimensional thinkers,and 3 dimensional thinkers,and the buck stops there.It is someones job to decipher who exactly fits what profile and to then consider this heavily when defining expectations in terms of system execution by the group or line .If you mix the wrong combonation of thinkers you reduce your chances of developing instant chemistry,and you force the entire line to adjust their personal skillsets to form a shaky conga line setup.

I see Hemsky as a 1 dimensional asset,Yakupov-so far-as a 2 dimensional asset ,and Sam gagner as a 3 dimensional asset.Its not just how they think its what they do with how they think within the system and on the ice.

1 dimensional players who are defined as NHL elite in a specific area like Hemmer is are most times line "catalysts"or they run the show dynamicly to be 100% effective.

2 dimensional players play a well balanced game ,they can provide nearly elite or sometimes elite skills as a 1 dimensional player but they can adjust their games to provide near elite tools in more than one or two areas.They do NOT need to be the catalysts of a line to be 100% effective,but they can fill in when needed.

3 dimensional players may have equal the skillsets of either of the first two types but also might be closer to average in all areas than that. However their on-ice vision and their anticipation abilitys are so well defined and ultra-high powered that there are many teams who dont even have one player of this type,we are lucky we have two Gagner and RNH. These players define franchises, championship teams,and dynastys.If they are given the assets and allowed to be catalysts they actualy have no ceiling,the only ceiling they have is the 60 mins in each game.

I see Hemmer as a #1 who needs to be on a line he can catalyse to showcase his personal skillset.I think he muffles the potential of Gagner who is a #3 and Yakupov who is now a #2.

We need to add another #2 to the 2nd line because we only have one other #3 and thats RNH .This line will work as it is now without MPS or Jones but never at near max.

The 3rd line can lose harti and insert Hemmer ,Smyth and Horcs are Hemmers natural fits with tons of experience together and this team needs gamebreaking offense from the 3rd line where its ok for everyone to showcase Hemmer without losing to much talent and skill in the process,the 3rd line is two 2s and a 1,so it fits perfectly.

Speaking of Jones--look for an excellent year from him as he is a player who is learning by osmosis how to be a 3 dimensional thinker like Mess learned from Gretz,Jones like Mess thinks he can do anything,I mean he believes this as the day is bright,ha ha ha,and its amazing what that mindset can give you a chance to do.He could be an important playoff performer for us this year.

I know we will have an adjustment period for all the reasons you listed and am patient but vigilant.I am seriously concerned about the criteria we use to construct our line though,I dont believe there is enough input from non-statistical sources,in terms of determining the best potential onice chemistry regarding skillsets.I see lines that look good on paper but experience tells me this isnt ringing true with the lineup we have now,I see many creative 2 and 3 dimensional players who will require a multi-dimensional gameplan if they are ALL to maximise their skills and abilitys within the system in just 60 mins.Shorter shifts is not the way to get the most out of our guys in that 60 mins,better dimensional player compatability on our lines leading to faster chemistry is the key.This perspective is the only next step available to a team who has stockpiled so many elite assets so soon--if we hope to get the most out of all of them for just 60 mins a game.

The Perfect Human*

Ultimately the way that I see it we need upgrades on: Gagner, Whitney, Potter, Petrell, and Smyth.
Why? I feel he's a perfect, above-average 4th liner.

Smyth IMO was signed for one year too many and he is so slow at this point that I cringe at the thought of seeing how slow he'll be next season.
Agreed. But he does bring a unique skill-set on the PP that some teams are craving right now. DRW would take him in a second. They'd put him on their 4th line at ES and give him heavy PP minutes, with secondary PK minutes (if that).

We need to cut ties with Whitney as soon as possible, the good thing is that as it stands he's our #5 defenseman now so it's much easier to replace the current version of Whitney than when he was at his best.
I still say give him 4-5 games before passing judgement. He hasn't been at game speed for months now. People are saying he's made progress, let's give it time before evaluating. He could be the biggest mistake we ever made if we move him too early.

Gagner looked a bit stronger physically by my eye last night but maybe a tad slower as well. I'm still not convinced that he's the guy to center this teams 2nd line when we start to make some real noise in the playoffs, maybe he proves me wrong because management can't get an upgrade anytime soon or he finally breaks out?
Completely agree. Ideally we would get a physical big-bodied two-way 2C to perfectly complete our top-6 - but those aren't exactly growing on trees. Maybe a better option would be to pickup a 2-way winger (mold of Eriksson/Hossa - would require blockbuster trade = dealing one of the big-4 F's) that can help anchor that 2nd line irregardless of Gagner and Yakupov/Hemsky's defensive woes and physical weakness.

Potter is self explanatory, IMO he isn't enough of a specialist to warrant a spot in the top 6. Fistric would probably be a good replacement.
Agreed. It's time to give Fistric a shot - especially against the physical Sharks. They dominate us along the boards.

Our top 4 on D looks solid, Petry and Smid look to be a tough to play against pairing that can also get the puck up ice. Both are very good skaters which always helps when you match up against the leagues best.
Agreed. They played a near-flawless game last night, and weren't having any of the Sedins, who are a top-5 offensive line in the league. Petry especially was looking Suter-like to me. Unbelievable skating, poke-checking, body-checking, shot-blocking, and decision-making. Only miscue was on a fluke breakaway for Weise. He honestly looked like a #1 defenseman to me vs Vancouver. Let's hope he keeps it up

Nick and Justin Schultz bring solid defensive positioning and stick work which is also very effective. Justin adds elite offensive ability from the blueline as well which was something that we've lacked for a long, long time.
They looked solid against Vancouver, but I still notice that they can be bodied by bigger lines, and that J.Schultz is sometimes getting lost in the D-zone. Hopefully N.Schultz can help compensate with some solid positioning and teach him how to do it right.

Hall-RNH-Eberle are coming into their own, Hall's speed and tenacity bring one dimension to the line, RNH's vision and defensive stick work brings another and Eberle's elite hands yet another.
Agreed. Each player has a role to play on that line. My only worry is how easy it is for other teams to play the body and nearly completely neutralize them. We need size in our top-6, and it may end up coming at the expense of 1-2 of our big-4 forwards. I think it could make odes of a difference to our style, swagger, and effectiveness at ES with our top6.
Yakupov can play either side and when he gets a feel for the NHL game should be an impact player. Hemsky as always brings skill to his line, if he is fine with a secondary role and he can stay healthy he will be a much needed secondary scoring option.
This line is still coming together, but even if clicking on all cylinders they are a mess in the defensive zone and back-check. Need a stronger defensive presence.

Hartikainen will be Smyth's heir apparent, bigger and stronger than Smyth ever was and faster than Smyth as well, even if Harski never develops the hands around the net that Smyth does his screening ability and strength down low will be a great asset to the team. Horcoff or a player like him will be fine in a 3rd line center capacity, a little better speed and faceoff ability would be nice actually.
Third line was solid, but I see a problem developing here. None of these 3 are great skaters or effective back-checkers. Hartikainen does Smyth's job in the offensive zone better than he does, but he isn't the PK presence that Smyth is. I think MPS might deserve a shot there. It could give them a boost offensively (speed, zone entry) and make them look even better at their shutdown role.

A motivated Ben Eager is a very valuable player, very few big men can skate like Eager can and he shows a legitimate mean streak out there with some "crazy" mixed in which can be an asset. Belanger brings a PK element and is a faceoff specialist who can also get under the opponents skin a bit.
Agreed. This line played their role to a tee. Only issue is how poor their transition and zone entry is. I guess you can't expect more than dump-and-chase for a 4th line. But they're a great mix of quick skaters and gritty physicality.

Dubnyk's worth as a #1 goalie is TBD, but IMO he hasn't been given enough time to show if he is capable or incapable of filling that role.
He looked solid yesterday. Did everything we needed for us to win. It's wait-and-see with him, but I have a building confidence in him.

Essentially, here's what we need to have fixed:
1) Strength in our top-6 for when the going gets tough (guys that aren't necessarily physical like Hartnell, but can withstand physicality, in the mould of Eriksson/Hossa/)
2) A defensive presence on line 2 (the answer here would ideally address Problem #1 as well).
3) A better 2C to complement RNH (Gagner would be a great 2C when your 1C is someone like Getzlaf/Thornton, but with RNH we need a guy like ROR in the mix)
4) A speed presence for the sake of back-checking on line 3 (I'd try MPS here until Jones comes back, but even Jones is iffy at back-checking).
5) A better-performing bottom pairing. Whitney/Potter looks solid on paper, but they laid a brick for us in that lack game. Hopefully they improve (+/- Fistric), or we're once again going to be in the market for a depth defenseman.

If we fix 2-3 of those, we are in the mix for playoffs. If we fix all 5 - then we are making serious noise - and to me that means contending.

Last edited by a moderator:

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
Petry's development might accelerate this rebuild faster than many people had anticipated.

I am trying to remain neutral but my god does this guy have the total package or what. I would not be suprised at all if he becomes a #1 dman.

The Perfect Human*

Petry's development might accelerate this rebuild faster than many people had anticipated.

I am trying to remain neutral but my god does this guy have the total package or what. I would not be suprised at all if he becomes a #1 dman.

He's starting to show signs of it. His skill-set is very similar to Alex Pietrangelo's. Bigger body that can skate and use his stick effectively, while being physically impossible to intimidate. He just doesn't have the elite-level hockey sense of Pietrangelo (who IMO is going to be a perennial Norris candidate) - which IMO is the difference between average #1 defenseman and an elite superstar.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012

#2 at best imo. He doesn't have the offense that #1s should have.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
He's starting to show signs of it. His skill-set is very similar to Alex Pietrangelo's. Bigger body that can skate and use his stick effectively, while being physically impossible to intimidate. He just doesn't have the elite-level hockey sense of Pietrangelo (who IMO is going to be a perennial Norris candidate) - which IMO is the difference between average #1 defenseman and an elite superstar.

Ya I don't expect him to be in the Doughty, Pietrangelo, Keith class of #1's. I am thinking more along the lines of guys like Edler, Seabrook etc.

The Perfect Human*

#2 at best imo. He doesn't have the offense that #1s should have.

Really? I just don't see him being given the PP opportunities that a #1 normally would - because of Schultz on our blue-line. Which sucks because he possesses the best slapshot of any our blue-liners.

Reminds me of John Carlson - who IMO is a #1 defenseman for WSH, but had the "#1" PP minutes handed to Mike Green (for obvious reasons). The result is a guy who only puts up 30-35 points.

Petry took off in the last half of last season, when playing the "#1 Dman" role on the PP. He put up 20 points in the final 43 games. That's just about a 40-pt pace, to go along with solid play alongside Smid on our top pairing.

He's taken another step defensively IMO. He is no longer playing second fiddle to Smid in his own zone. He's looking more and more like that #1 defenseman we've needed - in the mould of what Carolina has right now in Joni Pitkanen.

ps: for all those Oiler fans heaping hate on Pitkanen, the man is far from being the problems with that team's blue-line. They lack depth badly, but he's a clear-cut #1 anchoring the top pairing.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
i think they are 'close', but not 'there', and the difference is not a chance at winning a playoff round. they could possibly make the playoffs, but a short first round knockout for them.

they are probably only about 2 key aquisitions away and next season from making some real noise.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

His combination of size, speed, physicality, and puck moving ability really is a joy to watch. That hip check that he dished out was something else. IIRC he said that he really worked on his strength in the offseason, he is currently the teams best bargain contract by a country mile IMO. I was honestly worried about him being rusty because he didn't play in Europe during the lockout, but he was fantastic against Vancouver.

Fair enough, but we don't need him to be AP, if he can chip in 30-35 points and provide us solid defense and a physical presence then that is a great player type that fits in very well with Mr. Offense Justin Schultz and our stay at home types in Smid and N. Schultz.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
The Oilers are close to making some big noise alright,we just arent sure if the bang will be the air blowing out of their sails or if it will be them breaking the playoff door down.

I wasnt impressed with their first game at all,the two pionts of course give them a passing grade but it is a c-.

First period chaos,playing a dump and chase game ,with all our speed and skill this is regressive.

Little to no support for the d-men to battle the forcheck because everyone was set up for the fastbreak all night.

Poor possesion to shot conversion rate,way to many non-forced turnovers or surrenders of possesion.

No noticable netfront presence.

Both goals in reg time were catalysed out of individual efforts,and were one dimensional,in other words they were not system generated,they were superman efforts.

The upside was the standout performance of the 3rd and 4th lines.Had we had Hemmer on the 3rd line instead of Harti he would probably have scored from there considering the energy and jump that line showed.We missed MPSs skillset on the 2nd line and we hamstrung our 1st line by asking them to play dump and chase.

I do not buy Ralphs salesjob postgame about everyone "sticking with it"as being a positive to take out of this game,we were a shambles and were losing for most of the night,Dubby had a great game.If I agree with Ralph then I agree that it was sticking with the system choices and coaching that gave us those two points,but I cannot do that because I believe we stole those two points with pure talent and deep skillsets.

We werent able to get our first transition out of our own end going at all for the entire game,we werent identifying and adjusting to the forchecking they were putting on us,our staff didnt see the need to adjust our defensive zone exit strategy and it ruined the flow of the game for us and negated our speed both N/S and E/W.

We have a lot to work on and right away because that system execution wil not win us a Stanley Cup wether the players bust their humps for Krueger or not,which they did in that game.

A consistant and conservative game of dump and chase makes us a mortal team and easy to counter,if this is what we think will see us through this 48 game schedule best we wont need to worry after 24 games because we will be toast already.

The schedule isnt that devastating,and we cant afford to stutter-step ,we need to bring a more cohesive first transition out of our zone and this means we need to abandon the fastbreak or we will die by it sooner than later--we need to see a much more creative gameplan or we waste to many player catalysed resources.This first game performance was a loud noise alright ,it was a shot across our bow from a tired demoralised team.

We will win our share of close games because of our deeper skillset,but kid yourself not,a well functioning system will eat us up if we start games playing dump and chase and voluntarily surrendering puck possesions without generating a minimum of one and if able two shots on goal,every time we cough up that puck wether it is system generated by our coaching tactics as a dump in is,or wether it is forced through on-ice pressure we lose possesion/shot conversions and that means offense ,loosely translated into goals--which are all we really want to begin with.

Game #1 --grade C-

No offense, but tonight's game starts at 8 PM. Watch this one and then write your fix it rant. Something tells me that a couple of naps were caught on Sunday night.

The fact you are eluding to the kids playing dump and chase on Sunday night illustrates you certainly were not paying a lot of attention to the game.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB

I was really impressed with him as well, apperantly he put on about 10 pounds of pure muscle in the offseason. HE plays so smart all he needs is to be able to out muscle guys a bit better. If him and Smid can take a step forward this year, the rebuild accelerates big time.

ps. lock both these guys up long term please.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad