The Offseason aka O'Reilly Contract Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Friedman on tv during the game last night saying the Avs are listening to offers.

That's a reasonably good sign, but weren't the Avs also listening to offers for O'R in the recent past also? I get that it's the last year before UFA, so it's a bit different.

And if you don't mind - what does PSA stand for? ;)

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Sakic's numbers at this point in his career are miles ahead of ROR's. Not only had he already posted multiple 40+ goal seasons, he was a proven leader and conn smyth winner. Sakic was far and away a much better player than ROR is or probably ever will be. I understand Sakic signing the OS. He had won and proven himself. Now he wanted his pay day. I don't expect any player to have loyalty to a team after leading them to the ultimate success. If he left the Avs we should've been grateful for what he did. Obviously upset he chose to leave, but grateful. ROR has slightly above average stats and is great on defense, but has never led this team to success. BIG difference.

So it's okay to be a "pain" with negotiations, sign an OS that's designed to screw over your old team should they match it (because they don't have the money to do so), and to put yourself/family above the team, so long as you've "won something"?

Last edited by a moderator:

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Why is it such a sin that I don't necessarily believe that?

If O'Reilly were so easily dealt with, he'd be signed long-term right now, right? Isn't that what Sakic wanted? I get that we're all fairly tired of this discussion and situation, but if there is a really good available data that might lead me to change my position, by all means present it, and I'll take a look. If you choose to simply believe Sakic when he says that, great. That's your prerogative. I believe it's more complicated than that blanket statement might indicate.

It's nearly crazy to believe that Sakic is lying about the ROR situation. What's the point of him saying that the Avs aren't going to let the drama continue into the next season if he's lying? When has Sakic or Roy come out and said something then turned around and done the opposite? I remember that even with Sakic and Roy both saying they were taking MacKinnon a week before the draft there was a loud amount of people claiming it was a ruse.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
That's a reasonably good sign, but weren't the Avs also listening to offers for O'R in the recent past also? I get that it's the last year before UFA, so it's a bit different.

And if you don't mind - what does PSA stand for? ;)

I'm sure they have and I'm sure every team in the league does on every player in reality. But for Friedman to choose to mention it in his 90 seconds of air time when he could have easily just talked about the Leafs or one of the other teams of importance to me signals something of significance.

PSA is public service announcement

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan
So it's okay to be a "pain" with negotiations, sign an OS that's designed to screw over your old team should they match it (because they don't have the money to do so), and to put yourself/family above the team, so long as you've "won something"?

It's shortsighted to call winning the Stanley Cup while being MVP doing it just "something". And yes! I think it is logical for a player to be a pain when they have proven they deserve the big bucks. Signing it isn't necessarily screwing your old team when there isn't a salary cap. Thank god for Air Force One so that we could keep Sakic though. ROR is screwing us more. To keep him we will have even more trouble with Mack and EJ next year.

Last edited by a moderator:

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
It's shortsighted to call winning the Stanley Cup while being MVP doing it just "something". And yes! I think it is logical for a player to be a pain when they have proven they deserve the big bucks. Signing it isn't necessarily screwing your old team when there isn't a salary cap. Thank god for Air Force One so that we could keep Sakic though. ROR is screwing us more. To keep him we will have even more trouble with Mack and EJ next year.

Gut feeling is EJ is signed July 1st

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Sakic's numbers at this point in his career are miles ahead of ROR's. Not only had he already posted multiple 40+ goal seasons, he was a proven leader and conn smyth winner. Sakic was far and away a much better player than ROR is or probably ever will be. I understand Sakic signing the OS. He had won and proven himself. Now he wanted his pay day. I don't expect any player to have loyalty to a team after leading them to the ultimate success. If he left the Avs we should've been grateful for what he did. Obviously upset he chose to leave, but grateful. ROR has slightly above average stats and is great on defense, but has never led this team to success. BIG difference.

Maybe I read some posts wrong, but didn't Sakic sign an offer sheet making him the highest paid in the league? RoR isnt asking for anywhere near that. can't really compare their numbers when there is a money difference.

When your team has no money, that's no different than being at the cap. It doesn't matter that there is no cap if you can't pay other players anyways.

MacK and EJ are their own individuals.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
It's nearly crazy to believe that Sakic is lying about the ROR situation. What's the point of him saying that the Avs aren't going to let the drama continue into the next season if he's lying?

GTG, I'm not saying that Sakic is lying. I've seen not ONE quote from Sakic that said that he's going to trade him if he can't sign him. If I've missed that quote, please post it, and I'll offer all applicable apologies.

What I've seen from Sakic, are quotes such as "…no one needs the distractions of his upcoming UFA status in 2016, so we're going to try and get it done", and "I'm not going to put a deadline on it, but I want him signed before next season", etc. If Sakic rides O'R next season and loses him via UFA, where is Sakic's lie? I don't see one. Hence, I'm not accusing him of such a thing. IMO, he's made his desires clear, but not his intentions.

And the situation is complex. Think about the Avs missing the playoffs again next season. That would be the 5th time in 6 years, and the 7th time in 10. That's Edmonton/Phoenix territory. How could the organization defend that record, particularly after trading one of the team's best young players? Possibly for mostly futures? How would Roy feel about that - missing the playoffs two season out of his first three? Would he risk it?

Sakic's in a tough spot, short-term vs. longer-term. I simply believe that if push comes to shove, he'll choose short-term

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I'm sure they have and I'm sure every team in the league does on every player in reality. But for Friedman to choose to mention it in his 90 seconds of air time when he could have easily just talked about the Leafs or one of the other teams of importance to me signals something of significance.

PSA is public service announcement

Thanks.

As for Friedman, it may or may not. I'm really, really hoping it does. Whatever the Avs do, they simply cannot go the route of the nuclear option and lose O'R as a UFA.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Sakic might never have literally said "trade him" but those quotes pretty much paint him in the corner to do something. There isn't really another option. I fully believe they weigh short term and long term quite a bit and the 112 point season may have thrown them off kilter a bit where they thought of the short term more than they should have. But the step back or whatever I believe has re calibrated and refocused their vision. We'll see what happens.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
This is an unlikely scenario, but what if RoR doesn't want to be traded and that affects the ability for other teams to negotiate with his camp before a trade is made? The trading team goes to Newport and they demand something completely unreasonable. Is this a possibility?

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan
This is an unlikely scenario, but what if RoR doesn't want to be traded and that affects the ability for other teams to negotiate with his camp before a trade is made? The trading team goes to Newport and they demand something completely unreasonable. Is this a possibility?

Then I see the Avs sending him to a team for less than they want and ROR is a bigger ******* than I thought he was.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Look at the free agent market for forwards, there's nothing. O'Reilly is going to be the BPA. Someone will pay up to get him.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Would have been nice if he bought in like everyone else but I can't really blame him for going out and getting what he feels he's worth.

He has made over $21M in his career thus far and the 1st overall pick from that draft (Tavares) is under $16M. He'll further increase that gap once he signs his next contract. He has played this perfectly.

This is exactly the point. He is just raking it in. He has gotten his way every time. And basically it all comes down to Calgary screwing us. If he hadn't received and signed Calgary's offer sheet, we'd never be in this position. The Avs would have eventually won round 1, because ROR would have been absolutely ******** to stay in the KHL and kill his reputation around the league. But since Calgary made an a-hole move a gave him way more than he was worth at that time we got screwed and the power has been in RORs court ever since. I really hope the Avs stick it to Calgary at some point for this.

Anyone thinking that ROR was all of a sudden going to give up the power he and his agent worked so hard for over the years by signing a team friendly long term extension the year before UFA is nuts. This is why I've worked under the assumption that ROR was as good as gone every since his last 2 year extension.

It's probably best for all Avs fans to accept this inevitability. ROR is gone we're either trade him this year at some point or he is going to walk in UFA at the end of it. I'd much prefer to get something rather than nothing at the end of the year.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
This is exactly the point. He is just raking it in. He has gotten his way every time. And basically it all comes down to Calgary screwing us. If he hadn't received and signed Calgary's offer sheet, we'd never be in this position. The Avs would have eventually won round 1, because ROR would have been absolutely ******** to stay in the KHL and kill his reputation around the league. But since Calgary made an a-hole move a gave him way more than he was worth at that time we got screwed and the power has been in RORs court ever since. I really hope the Avs stick it to Calgary at some point for this.

Anyone thinking that ROR was all of a sudden going to give up the power he and his agent worked so hard for over the years by signing a team friendly long term extension the year before UFA is nuts. This is why I've worked under the assumption that ROR was as good as gone every since his last 2 year extension.

It's probably best for all Avs fans to accept this inevitability. ROR is gone we're either trade him this year at some point or he is going to walk in UFA at the end of it. I'd much prefer to get something rather than nothing at the end of the year.

At least Sakic and Roy believed that.. I mean If they knew he would never sign with Colorado, they should have traded him long time ago, because of asset management. ROR is our most valuable piece(tradeable one) and we can't let him walk for nothing.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Don't worry Avs don't need to stick it to Calgary, they have already stuck it to themselves. With Burke at the helm and what I would say is an overrated young team (specifically the forwards), they aren't going anywhere. And then there was the Tanguay for Jones trade - huge Avs win.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Don't worry Avs don't need to stick it to Calgary, they have already stuck it to themselves. With Burke at the helm and what I would say is an overrated young team (specifically the forwards), they aren't going anywhere. And then there was the Tanguay for Jones trade - huge Avs win.

I still think Calgary and Predators will both fall down to earth next season. No way they should have been in playoffs. Predators are better than Calgary though and If they could improve their offense, they could be threat. Calgary sucks(Young team, rebuilding). Calgary had cinderella run.

Competition is really tough: Sharks, Kings, Stars and Avalanche. I take all those teams over Calgary and Nashville is a flip or worse vs some of these.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Look at the free agent market for forwards, there's nothing. O'Reilly is going to be the BPA. Someone will pay up to get him.

You do realize ROR is a free agent next year, the same time as Stamkos, Kopitar, E. Stall, Kesler, Backes, L. Eriksson, Lucic, Ladd, Doan (obviously some of them will re-sign before than, but still, ROR isn't necessary BPA, especially if you also look at the UFA dman (Seabrook, Yandle, Byfuglien, Hammuis, Coburn, Giordano)).

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
You do realize ROR is a free agent next year, the same time as Stamkos, Kopitar, E. Stall, Kesler, Backes, L. Eriksson, Lucic, Ladd, Doan (obviously some of them will re-sign before than, but still, ROR isn't necessary BPA, especially if you also look at the UFA dman (Seabrook, Yandle, Byfuglien, Hammuis, Coburn, Giordano)).
He's saying the free agent crop this July 1st is weak, which it is, which may make teams take a run at ROR in the trade market instead. It's a good point, too. People could overpay for a 33 year old Vermette, or go after a 24 year old O'Reilly.

I look forward to this ending in the next two weeks. If it drags on beyond that, I may have to take a long break from this board.

Last edited:

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
The Friedman report was:

The Colorado Avalanche are willing to listen to offers for centre Ryan O’Reilly, Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman reported on Saturday’s Headlines segment on Hockey Night in Canada.

There is no guarantee the 24-year-old gets moved by the 2015 NHL Draft on June 26 – or moved at all for that matter – but Avalanche management will mull its options.

It’s expected the Avalanche would want help on the blueline in return for O’Reilly, who was drafted 33rd overall by the Avs in 2009 and is entering the final year of his contract before becoming an unrestricted free agent in 2016. His current salary cap hit is $6 million.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/colorado-avalanche-listening-to-offers-for-ryan-oreilly/

And more elaboration in his 30 Thoughts column:

The history between Ryan O’Reilly and the Colorado Avalanche is well-documented. On-ice, no issues. Patrick Roy loves him, and he’s delivered. At the negotiating table, they are like teachers and a Canadian provincial government. What makes this speculation about O’Reilly different is the calendar. He is one year from unrestricted free agency. That’s why executive vice-president Joe Sakic is testing the centre’s value, letting teams know he’s willing to listen. It is believed the Avalanche want at least a significant defenceman in return. (I assumed a lefty because both Tyson Barrie and Erik Johnson shoot right, but one source disputed that.) Colorado’s secrecy makes a few things difficult to clarify, as in: how many clubs are involved, because it’s not everybody. Even more critical: will anyone be allowed to negotiate with O’Reilly in advance of a potential trade? It’s hard to see the Avalanche maxing out on a return without it.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-defencemen-a-hot-commodity-at-draft/

That last part is the real lynchpin of anything happening - unless the Avs let other teams talk to O'Reilly and his agent to see if an extension could be signed pending a trade, Colorado won't get any decent offers.

If I'm Tim Murray, I'd offer Zadorov, Foligno and the 21st pick in this year's draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad