The Offseason aka O'Reilly Contract Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Time to move away from the last GDT to continue the convo on the concluded season, the next season, upcoming contracts and free agency. Here is the place to express disappointments and praises on the season, players, coaches and management. Any hopes, wants, guesses, ideas for the future go here too. Let's try to keep the bulk of the convo in one place and continue on in subsequent threads.

Go!

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I had a dream last night that at the draft, we traded Ryan O'Reilly, Chris Bigras, and our 2nd round pick to Florida for Dmitry Kulikov, Alex Petrovic, and their 1st round pick.

Don't think that is what I want by any means, but it was an awfully odd dream to have given I even heard Gary Bettman's voice announcing the trade and the crowd booing :laugh:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Things I want this offseason:

1. ROR situation solved one way or another.
2. A top 4 LD that can move the puck signed.
3. Sign a legit 3rd line player (preferably a center if the ROR situation is solved by trade)
4. Make some prospect swaps for players who have a chance in the organization (Elliott namely)
5. Sign or trade for some young 4th line depth. Players that may start in LE, but also have a chance to unseat Cliche by the end of the season.
6. Sign 2-3 more Euro free agents to continue to try to bring in more depth (ties in with #5)

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland

3. Sign a legit 3rd line player (preferably a center if the ROR situation is solved by trade)
4. Make some prospect swaps for players who have a chance in the organization (Elliott namely)
5. Sign or trade for some young 4th line depth. Players that may start in LE, but also have a chance to unseat Cliche by the end of the season.
6. Sign 2-3 more Euro free agents to continue to try to bring in more depth (ties in with #5)

Can I add:
7. New head coach for our AHL team?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
2. Cody Franson, 26, Nashville (R) – Averaged 15:25 this season (for Nashville, 23 games). Traded from Toronto to Nashville, the team that drafted him, and is making $3.3 million. He will likely double that. Averaged 21:23 for Toronto.

4. Mike Green, 29, Washington (R) — Averaged 19:06 this season. Making $6.25 million this season and will likely get at least $7 million July 1. Is he worth it?

5. Andrej Meszaros 29, Buffalo (L) – Averaged 17:54 this season. The big Slovak (6-2, 223 pounds) plays in all situations. He’s making $4.125 with Buffalo and will get a raise.

Ummmmmm no thank you, Chambers.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm happy with the season that was for the reasons we talked about in the GDT. Roykic have me believing that they understand that this is the summer where a resolution to the ROR situation needs to happen now that ROR's people no longer have any incentive to hold off a long term deal if Ryan wants to stay. I'm really excited to watch our young dmen developing in the A next year, especially with Picks behind them. Plus we've got a really nice pick with which to draft the last top-5-in-a-normal-draft caliber prospects we'll have a chance at in a while.

I'm hoping that the ROR situation works out well, but even if he must be traded he'll return an excellent young player like Zadorov/Morrissey and then we won't be very far from going from too-many-Centers to too-many-Dmen. So we'll have the ammo to bolster Landy/Dutchy/MacK/Bleacks/2015-1st if the forward core will need it.

I'd love an Erhoff/Sekera/Martin. Any of those three and I'd be doing back flips. If they add "just" Beauchemin I'll be very happy, but if they don't...it won't be the end of the world. Biegs, Dunk and Gaertsen are really exciting and we should see one of them become an NHL regular by season's end, with a second one accomplishing that next year. So I'm most worried about having stop gaps to keep them from having to carry too heavy a load too soon...but damn would one of those EJ-partner capable LHDs be wonderful. Hejda at a discount can be nice if we buttbuddy him with Barrie, like the General was for much of this season. Stuart/Holden/Redmond are competent third pairing guys for the kids to have to over come.

The forward depth still needs work, some more talent from non-traditional sources like EVB/Rendo/Henley would be very well received. Picking up the player Winch was supposed to be would be huge. And McGinn getting adequately replaced if his back is ****ed for good would be big.

But ultimately this all comes down to the ROR situation for me. If they don't miss out on a chance to extend him or hold onto him long into the summer I feel good about how that will play out. And if that works out well the rest of the summer will be secondary. Even if they don't sign one of the LHDs I mentioned or bolster the forward depth.

BoxOfChocolates

Mar 7, 2010
I named Frolik and Ward in the UFA thread, but my ideal forward acquisition would be Carl Soderberg. Might be too pricey, but I think he'd be perfect in that 3C role and could easily move up into the top 6 once injuries hit.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I named Frolik and Ward in the UFA thread, but my ideal forward acquisition would be Carl Soderberg. Might be too pricey, but I think he'd be perfect in that 3C role and could easily move up into the top 6 once injuries hit.

I've said this a few times. Eric Fehr. He'd fit in perfectly as our third line center, has decent offensive skills, good faceoff guy and he is big. He would cost less than Soderberg as well.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
I had a dream last night that at the draft, we traded Ryan O'Reilly, Chris Bigras, and our 2nd round pick to Florida for Dmitry Kulikov, Alex Petrovic, and their 1st round pick.

Don't think that is what I want by any means, but it was an awfully odd dream to have given I even heard Gary Bettman's voice announcing the trade and the crowd booing :laugh:

I day dream this all the time :)

Realistically what would you want for an O'Reilly swap. I would do something around Kulikov with some give and take from both sides.

jrmysell

Feb 7, 2015
St. Kitts
A new coach in the AHL that runs Roy's system would be nice as there would be no difference (apart from speed/size) in players coming up.

Earlier this year I was on the side of trading ROR, but I'm leaning towards wanting him extended now. Obviously a great, young LD would make me happy, but I'd want someone to play 3C coming over also.

I'm not sure about signing a $5 M D man. Obviously he would help us, but that is a big hit. If we stay patient in 3 years all our LD in Lake Erie would be up, and the young forwards would still only be 26, 26, 24, 22, 21. Our O core would still be considered young.

BoxOfChocolates

Mar 7, 2010
A new coach in the AHL that runs Roy's system would be nice as there would be no difference (apart from speed/size) in players coming up.

Earlier this year I was on the side of trading ROR, but I'm leaning towards wanting him extended now. Obviously a great, young LD would make me happy, but I'd want someone to play 3C coming over also.

I'm not sure about signing a $5 M D man. Obviously he would help us, but that is a big hit. If we stay patient in 3 years all our LD in Lake Erie would be up, and the young forwards would still only be 26, 26, 24, 22, 21. Our O core would still be considered young.

That's by no means a guarantee. Im still waiting for Stefan Elliott and Cameron Gaunce to lead us to the promise land.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I want ROR out. I think he's too much of a distraction for both the team and our management. We're going to be spinning our wheels on resigning this guy every 2-3 years instead of picking up a d-man.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
I want ROR out. I think he's too much of a distraction for both the team and our management. We're going to be spinning our wheels on resigning this guy every 2-3 years instead of picking up a d-man.

I'm guessing this next deal would be 6-8 years not another short term one.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014

My thoughts exactly, along with the idea of getting a new coach in LE. I would really like to see EJ extended before the season starts as well.

I don't think #3 is possible unless RoR is traded or #2 doesn't happen though. And IMO it's got to be a C. I don't mind Mitchell at 3C, but he is such a great 4th liner with his willingness to hit, defense and ability to control the puck.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Man, it would be so nice if this just got hammered out in the next couple months before the draft.

Something about Sakic's comments on not wanting to put a firm deadline on it, but wanting him signed before the season makes me worried this will just drag out all summer again, and the draft isn't the deadline.

You know Newport's strategy will be to drag it out as long as possible. Could see a sign or trade situation on the day before camp opens.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I hope they can get creative on a compromise. If both sides actually want to do this then nut up and do it. Maybe a 3 year deal or something could at least be a compromise, maybe they can promise him 1C with MacK and Landy on his line for the rest of the decade. I don't care to spend any more of my life worrying about this. Just get it done or move on.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Man, it would be so nice if this just got hammered out in the next couple months before the draft.

Something about Sakic's comments on not wanting to put a firm deadline on it, but wanting him signed before the season makes me worried this will just drag out all summer again, and the draft isn't the deadline.

You know Newport's strategy will be to drag it out as long as possible. Could see a sign or trade situation on the day before camp opens.

And that is when O'Reilly's value will be the lowest. If that is the situation the Avs are in with O'Reilly come Fall, Sakic and Roy screwed up big time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad