The Official Team Canada/Ice Hockey Olympics Thread - VI - The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I'm not technical goalie expert, but biggest difference i've been able to find in Price's game is he doesn't seem to be over-sliding as much this year

His movements are a lot more economical, he's making difficult saves look routine, which is what we saw a lot of when he burst on the scene

He's changed from dropping a knee and pushing off for speed to shuffling which is much more economical, you're right. This is also causing him to play deeper in his net than previous years because it takes a bit longer to get post to post which forces him to use his athleticism more, also a huge bonus for him.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
“I’ve played in front of lots of good goalies, but today he was great,†said defenceman Jay Bouwmeester

“He’s so calm. Nothing really fazes him,†Bouwmeester said. “He just was never really out of position.â€

“Price has been unbelievable. This whole tournament, we’ve been pretty confident,†said Bouwmeester’s St. Louis defence partner, Alex Pietrangelo. “You see his composure on your side of the ice. He sees the ice. He sees the play coming in and he talks. Really, you talk about everything that a goaltender needs, Price has got it.â€

“This is the ultimate pressure for a Canadian hockey player, and he’s not coming up short by any means,†said Jonathan Toews.

“That definitely felt more like an NHL-type hockey game. Both teams are skating, blocking shots, getting shots on net. It felt a lot like playing back in Montreal.

“I’m really excited. I’m just soaking in this moment right now. It’s fun. This is the whole reason we play this sport.â€

http://www.canada.com/olympics/news/canada-vs-united-states-live-olympic-mens-hockey-semi-finals

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
“I’ve played in front of lots of good goalies, but today he was great,†said defenceman Jay Bouwmeester

“He’s so calm. Nothing really fazes him,†Bouwmeester said. “He just was never really out of position.â€

“Price has been unbelievable. This whole tournament, we’ve been pretty confident,†said Bouwmeester’s St. Louis defence partner, Alex Pietrangelo. “You see his composure on your side of the ice. He sees the ice. He sees the play coming in and he talks. Really, you talk about everything that a goaltender needs, Price has got it.â€

“This is the ultimate pressure for a Canadian hockey player, and he’s not coming up short by any means,†said Jonathan Toews.

“That definitely felt more like an NHL-type hockey game. Both teams are skating, blocking shots, getting shots on net. It felt a lot like playing back in Montreal.

“I’m really excited. I’m just soaking in this moment right now. It’s fun. This is the whole reason we play this sport.â€

http://www.canada.com/olympics/news/canada-vs-united-states-live-olympic-mens-hockey-semi-finals

jaybo had a pretty good game as opposed this his mediocre self of the last few games

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
BhClzRECcAA3F5k.jpg

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Jesus christ..:laugh:

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
I'm a Price supporter but even I had doubts today but he came thru. This bodes well for the future as his mental game is only getting better

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
You completely missed my point though. The point I'm making is that a goalie's performance is completely independent of how the team plays in front of him. The end result is not but the goalie can control his own performance.
Sure. But some people only look at the numbers. And the team in front of you is going to effect that greatly.
A goalie can play great even if his team sucks (case in point : this season).
This season our team hasn't scored but defensively it wasn't too bad until we played the Kings. After that the wheels really fell off. The D before that wasn't great but it wasn't horrible.

2012 was horrible.

And you'll notice that his save percentage went from .932 to .918 in the span of about ten games. And then a guy like Darren Dreger said "he has to play better..." And if you were watching those games, you know that he was playing great hockey.
A goalie can play poorly when his team plays well (case in point : last season).
But that wasn't the case last season. He played well and the team played well. Hence why folks were talking about the Vezina for him.

Then the team tanked. No doubt Price wasn't great from then on but his team sucked. His numbers dropped from .925 to .905. Shortened season... no time to recover.
A goalie can play average when his team plays poorly resulting in a bottom 3 season (2011-12).
He played great and couldn't save them. .915 was damn respectable numbers on that squad.

That's why he was top five in those polls that I showed you.

I thought we were done talking about Price... No?

Last edited:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Sure. But people only look at the numbers. And the team in front of you is going to effect that greatly

Well for me, it never really was. There's always numbers involved...but in Price's case, there's puck tracking, movement in front of his net, being on his belly too often, overplaying shots, mental attitude towards himself and his teamates, play with puck, too many bad goals etc. There were TONS of things....but there were TONS of promises and potential. And we see it flourish lately. With this season being the top he has ever played. Even including this .920 he had that you were talking about.

In the end, if that tournament is the proof that he will bring it in important moments, so be it. Geez, not sure we shouldn't feel ecstatic about it. But true though, that we need a better team in front to transform those improvements towards real results. Let's hope we have a management to address it.....

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
new avatar, gotta get used to the new one

"dear team usa, love team canada" try again please

the caption doesn't match the picture, im probably just looking too hard for a joke that's above first grade level :huh:
Tim Horton's has a regular "Roll up the rim" thing. You roll up the rim and you can win a free coffee, a car, donut etc... When you don't win, you get a message that reads "try again."

Hence Canada is saying to the US - Thanks for playing, try again.

Get it now? :)

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I have decided I want Canada to win gold. I'd like to see you guys be happy.

I'd also like to see the reaction on the main boards to Mike Smith being an Olympic gold medalist.

Also, because Sweden sucks. I'm 1/8 Norwegian after all.

keep-calm-and-hate-sweden.png

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Tim Horton's has a regular "Roll up the rim" thing. You roll up the rim and you can win a free coffee, a car, donut etc... When you don't win, you get a message that reads "try again."

Hence Canada is saying to the US - Thanks for playing, try again.

Get it now? :)

yeah, i do. i said in my first post it was a tim horton cup. i know what is rrrrrrrrroll up the rrrrrrrrrim to win. i wasn't born in china. it's just so not funny and/or clever i figured there was something else i wasn't getting.

i like the 2 inches one better

in before: that's what she said

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
yeah, i do. i said in my first post it was a tim horton cup. i know what is rrrrrrrrroll up the rrrrrrrrrim to win. i wasn't born in china. it's just so not funny and/or clever i figured there was something else i wasn't getting.

I knew it was a Tim Horton's cup and still didn't get it.

Now that I do get it, it's mildly funny. I guess. I'm still in a fair amount of emotional pain over the loss so it's hard to laugh about it yet.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Nah, that was it. And the two inches jokes were definitely better.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Well for me, it never really was. There's always numbers involved...but in Price's case, there's puck tracking, movement in front of his net, being on his belly too often, overplaying shots, mental attitude towards himself and his teamates, play with puck, too many bad goals etc. There were TONS of things....but there were TONS of promises and potential. And we see it flourish lately. With this season being the top he has ever played. Even including this .920 he had that you were talking about.

In the end, if that tournament is the proof that he will bring it in important moments, so be it. Geez, not sure we shouldn't feel ecstatic about it. But true though, that we need a better team in front to transform those improvements towards real results. Let's hope we have a management to address it.....
Well, if nothing else we saw what he can do behind a strong team.

Now he just has to do it again on Sunday. And that's not going to be a walk in the park. Sweden is still a scary team and if anybody takes them likely then we could well wind up with a silver medal.

I just hope we come out strong and get a quick lead. I don't think my heart can take another game like today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad