The Official Tank Thread / Draft Lottery Thread

Where to the habs end up in the standings?

• Total voters

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
If Tavares wants $$$ we can give him that.
Lots of teams will throw money at Tavares and depending where he decides to sign, the team will most likely regret it. Tavares will not go to Toronto or Montreal because of the media. He wants to win, has a very good friend in Nashville that is enjoying himslef quite a bit while having a serious chance at the cup.

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
If Tavares wants $$$ we can give him that.
Most teams can. If Tavares calls you and wants to sign but you only have 5M in cap space well you know what you do ? You make space for him. Get rid of 1-2 overpaid guys and woala. Even if you have to throw picks to get rid of those bad contracts, who cares ..you got Tavares.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Tavares isn't signing here. Wouldn't be surprised if a team like Nashville is trading Johansen for a star young winger and potentially trading Bonino.
I am thinking that Turris or Bonino should go. Bonino will be easier to fit under the cap though. Johansen is a better and younger player than Turris.
But yes Nashville C depth could be Tavares-Johansen-Turris-Watson.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I am thinking that Turris or Bonino should go. Bonino will be easier to fit under the cap though. Johansen is a better and younger player than Turris.
But yes Nashville C depth could be Tavares-Johansen-Turris-Watson.
Doesn't make sense to trade Turris. That is a steal of a contract.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
True!
By keeping the big 3 it will make it harder to fit Fiala and Ellis. The next 3 years including the current one is going to be awesome for Nashville. Pretty much all their players are sign for another 2 seasons.
Cap is going up, and they have Emelin and Rinne coming off the books soon.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I know all this. They are in a great situation with or without Tavares. And what if Tavares leaves a couple of millions on a 8 years deal 80M/8Y. Nashville could even add Tavares and Pacioretty for next year.
No way Tavares takes 10 or less. 12+ with ease.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Crosby took 3 mil less to stay and win in Pittsburgh. If Tavares thinks that Nashville is the place where he wants to finish his career and win, i dont see why he wouldn't take 10mil for 8 years.
But we will find out.
That was a completely different era. The Keith and Crosby contracts aren't going to be happening again.

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
Have our beloved GM to thank for that.
I like how on the Habs boards "fans" are fantasizing about adding Tavares... to Nashville...

At this point if we keep MB, Id rather PK and the preds win the cup before Montreal.
I won't have to worry about that however. The Habs winning a cup, While MB is in charge. Those are mutually exclusive events!

Tank watch tonight

Buffalo picks up Loser point and ducks win 2 Eh...
Pits beats Knights, good
Flyers and Canes go to OT, Thats awesome. Perfer if Canes won it, but thats OK
Sens pull of a HUGE tank WiN!!!! GO SENS GO!!!:thumbu::walrus:
Boo, CBJ doesn't beat the caps
Red wings lose.... BOO:pb:
Panthers and Van city, with van city loss. Would have rather this game gone to OT.
Rest of the games.... ... You guys know the drill. It's late and I am tired.:dunno:

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Tavares to Nashville makes little sense.
Tavares to Montreal makes even less sense.
Tavares staying with the Islanders makes the most sense.

But Tavares in San Jose to replace a retiring Joe Thornton? Hmmmm.

Reactions: Lshap

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Absolutely, Dahlin is on a class of it's own.

Defenseman take longer vs forwards to reach potential but it certainly looks like Dahlin can step in and make an impact right away. He really did stand out in the U20 world juniors as a 17 year old... a tournament typically dominated by 19 and some 18 year olds.

Dreaming here but Dahlin and Weber together would be awesome!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Tavares to Nashville makes little sense.
Tavares to Montreal makes even less sense.
Tavares staying with the Islanders makes the most sense.

But Tavares in San Jose to replace a retiring Joe Thornton? Hmmmm.

Tavares will have many options and teams after him with the cap space to make it happen. I don't agree that staying with the Islanders makes the most sense. That team has major work to do this off season with that roster and some of the contracts they need to sign. This to me is why Tavares has not re-signed yet. Go look at their roster with expiring RFA/UFA contracts and who they have in net.

As far as the Sharks... Thornton gone next year possibly but the only pieces locked up long term are Burns, Vlasic, and Jones. Couture and Pavelski are UFA's after next year and Tavares will be looking at this.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Tavares will have many options and teams after him with the cap space to make it happen. I don't agree that staying with the Islanders makes the most sense. That team has major work to do this off season with that roster and some of the contracts they need to sign. This to me is why Tavares has not re-signed yet. Go look at their roster with expiring RFA/UFA contracts and who they have in net.

Tavares could have left years ago. Instead he signed the best value contract in the league. He wants to make it work with the Islanders organization and the only way he's going to leave is if he doesn't feel like the team is secure. Where they are playing long term is more important to him than the organized team itself.

Also Barzal changes everything. Tavares isn't alone at centre anymore. They can find a goalie and fix their defence and get a goalie. The biggest issue down the middle is set for years.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Tavares could have left years ago. Instead he signed the best value contract in the league. He wants to make it work with the Islanders organization and the only way he's going to leave is if he doesn't feel like the team is secure. Where they are playing long term is more important to him than the organized team itself.

Also Barzal changes everything. Tavares isn't alone at centre anymore. They can find a goalie and fix their defence and get a goalie. The biggest issue down the middle is set for years.

Tavares was a RFA and signed at age 22 till age 27. How could he of left years ago? This is what I would be worried about with the Islanders if I was Tavares...

UFA's to sign or replace:
- Tavares
- Bailey
- De Haan
- Hickey
- Seidenberg
- Chimera
- Kulemin
* Eberle and Lee UFA's after next year

Key RFA's to re-sign:
- Nelson
- Pulock

Goaltending:
- Halak is a pending UFA and likely not coming back
- Greiss is signed for 2 more years after this year.
- Finding a top 10 goalie to be a cup contender will not be easy!

Prospect pool is solid but no real blue chip prospect that will make an impact like Barzal IMO and they are years away from potentially making an impact.

Approx $35M in cap space with 14 players signed. Snow has a lot of work to do before Tavares re-signs with confidence that they can win.

Last edited:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

The contract that's expiring now was signed in 2011 (7 years ago) and he was an RFA, which didn't give him 100% freedom on if he wanted to leave or stay.

I think Tavares will leave. It's not like Stamkos, who opted to go back to Tampa. Because what Stamkos had was the knowledge that his team went to the Stanley Cup Final, and the ECF the year after (just before he re-signed) and once before in 2011.

Tavares hasn't had that with the Isles. Not to mention the new arena won't be ready before 2022-23 season, if I'm not mistaken.

If he comes to Montreal is another question. But I don't think he'd re-sign with the Isles.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014

They've been trying to find a goalie for the better part of 2 decades, and D is just as hard to fix as a hole at C. See: us, the Oilers, the Leafs...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad