The Official Tank Thread / Draft Lottery Thread

Where to the habs end up in the standings?

• Total voters

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Boqvist
Hughes

Dobson
Its impossible to watch Boqvist for me, so I'm pretty indifferent on him. I love Dobson though, he has everything going for him- IQ, skating, shot, vision, size (this board will probably find a way to turn that last one against him though, even though we've been complaining about the lack of size on our roster for years)

Reactions: jaffy27

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Its impossible to watch Boqvist for me, so I'm pretty indifferent on him. I love Dobson though, he has everything going for him- IQ, skating, shot, vision, size (this board will probably find a way to turn that last one against him though, even though we've been complaining about the lack of size on our roster for years)

Dobson is a Weber type. Not gamebreaker.

Boqvist or Hughes ainec

Reactions: NoQuinn

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Dobson is a Weber type. Not gamebreaker.

Boqvist or Hughes ainec
you have clearly never seen Dobson play, the guy is a phenomenal skater and is 100% a gamebreaker.

Wears the "A" in the Q in just his second season as a 2000-born, was nominated for defenseman and defensive defefnseman of the year awards IIRC, plays a safe but offensive game and was over PPG in the QMJHL.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
You havent seen Boqvist or Hughes play if you think Dobson is a phenomenal skater.
Dobson really is a phenomenal skater. Bouchard's offensive game is somewhat similar to Weber's, Dobson's is much much different. I'm not putting ANYONE on the same level skating-wise as Hughes because that guy can flat out fly. Dobson's biggest strengths are skating, IQ and defensive abilities. He is the ideal all-around defenseman. Weber is sluggish and can't drive any sort of offensive play

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
as per tsn. Will this seasons woes EVER end! This is the worst year that I can remember.
The whole point of this year was to get a good lottery pick. Mission accomplished.

And we'll have to have the same goal next year.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
The whole point of this year was to get a good lottery pick. Mission accomplished.

And we'll have to have the same goal next year.
Injuries made it 10 times worse. Take away Weber, Price and a couple others and we would have had more points. IF they don't hit a home run in the ufa market, they probably will miss the playoffs, but I don't see them top 3 again. It won't be nearly as bad as this season.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Injuries made it 10 times worse. Take away Weber, Price and a couple others and we would have had more points. IF they don't hit a home run in the ufa market, they probably will miss the playoffs, but I don't see them top 3 again. It won't be nearly as bad as this season.

Indeed. Without Pacioretty for a full season, another year of Alzner in the top 4 and no top 6 centers or top 4 LDs and we could be looking at top 1. Not to mention an improved Buffalo team (which 12 of our 71 points came from)

Last edited:

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Don't forget Florida who have Ekblad, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Barkov, Trocheck, Matheson.. all of which are better than players we can slot in the same area.

We really need to get good young assets from Pacioretty, Weber, and Price and Petry and Byron.

top six forwards:
Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Scherbak, Zabina, Drouin (5)
missing: top center prospect

Bottom six:
Danault, Lehkonen, Hudon, Carr, Deslauriers, DLR (6)
don't need major trade or draft to improve this area (+ are dime a dozen on waiver wire/ufa/cheap trade)

top 4 dmen:
Mete, Juulsen (2)
missing: 2 more young top 4 dmen

Bottom pair:
Reilly, Lernout (2)
don't need major trade or draft to improve this area (+ are dime a dozen on waiver wire/ufa/cheap trade)

Goal:
young future number 1 goalie: missing
backup: Lindgren (1)

Trading Pacioretty, Price, Weber, and Petry and Byron could give us the assets (draft picks, young prospects), plus help us tank, to build a young core based on the young players we already have: 1 (or 2) top centers, 2 top top dmen, and a top goalie prospect. We'd be good in 2 - 3 years. In the meantime we could sing UFA vets to mentor the kids.

Last edited:

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
For dmen, I could see Fleury and Brook end up top 4 defenseman.

As for goalie, I consider Primeau a top goalie prospect.

You're right. I will edit that part from top prospect to top tier young talent. To be a part of the core, a player have proven they're legit at the NHL level. Imo, Scherbak, Zadina, Juulsen, and Mete will do this, unless we get very unlucky. Primeau I'm not sure about

habs73

Jul 29, 2006
The habs have 9 picks in the 1st 4 rounds of the draft this year, the only other teams that have a similar stockpile of draft picks are Detroit and the Rangers. The Rangers have 7 picks in the 1st 3 rounds this year, 3 1sts!

If the Habs would rebuild as I believe they should, it would be a great opportunity to stockpile draft picks for next years draft and beyond. Not to mention the possible trade of Pacioretty to gain more assets, it really could be a great chance to build a powerhouse down the road.

I think we should be in tank mode for the next two years..

Reactions: mariolemieux66

Omar

Oct 10, 2017

Injuries? This team was near the bottom before the injuries happened. Everyone knew this team was short in pre-season and I find it impossible that we’ll fill all the holes we need to in one summer when the GM has clearly said trades are hard and you only fill these holes in the draft. If he was going to miraculously do all this in one summer, don’t you think he would have been more successful in doing what needed to be done the last few years?

Not only do we have to replace Radulov and Markov, but we have to fill the holes we needed to LAST year and never did before losing those two.

Nothing short of all top FAs saying they want to play in Montreal for pennies on the dollar to fit the cap would save next season. You have to redo half the defense and both centers in the top 6 for an organization that has few prospects to trade and not many players of a lot of trade value on the big team.

If he does it, I’ll buy all the merchandise in the Habs store, pay double for season tickets and spend $100 in concessions every home game.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Injuries? This team was near the bottom before the injuries happened. Everyone knew this team was short in pre-season and I find it impossible that we’ll fill all the holes we need to in one summer when the GM has clearly said trades are hard and you only fill these holes in the draft. If he was going to miraculously do all this in one summer, don’t you think he would have been more successful in doing what needed to be done the last few years?

Not only do we have to replace Radulov and Markov, but we have to fill the holes we needed to LAST year and never did before losing those two.

Nothing short of all top FAs saying they want to play in Montreal for pennies on the dollar to fit the cap would save next season. You have to redo half the defense and both centers in the top 6 for an organization that has few prospects to trade and not many players of a lot of trade value on the big team.

If he does it, I’ll buy all the merchandise in the Habs store, pay double for season tickets and spend $100 in concessions every home game.
My point was Weber was playing on one leg and Price was not himself. Also, There was no opportunity for them to dig themselves out of the hole because the injuries kept mounting and they ended up with an ahl roster. Yes, they lack depth and have holes to fill. However, a full season with Weber and Price back to form, along with some new coaching staff and not as many injuries WILL mean more points. Maybe not a playoff team, but as I said, they won’t fall far enough again to get a top 3 pick again. If you think they’ll get the same points as this season with a healthy roster, you’re crazy. It may not be many more, but it’ll be more for sure.

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
My point was Weber was playing on one leg and Price was not himself. Also, There was no opportunity for them to dig themselves out of the hole because the injuries kept mounting and they ended up with an ahl roster. Yes, they lack depth and have holes to fill. However, a full season with Weber and Price back to form, along with some new coaching staff and not as many injuries WILL mean more points. Maybe not a playoff team, but as I said, they won’t fall far enough again to get a top 3 pick again. If you think they’ll get the same points as this season with a healthy roster, you’re crazy. It may not be many more, but it’ll be more for sure.

You’ll be surprised. We took the majority of our points against Buffalo, who themselves get better. Boston, Tampa and Florida will also get better. These are the teams we play the most. We may get 5-7 more points but we’re looking at a lottery pick again.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

I don't think the Atlantic is going to get any easier. Tampa and Boston aren't losing much this off-season. Toronto will lose some depth, but they can fill most holes internally and have money they can spend to improve. Florida almost made the play-offs and have a solid prospect pool to call on. Buffalo has Dahlin and rich owners. Ottawa has some good peices and if they can keep their pick, will have a lot of incentive to compete next season.

Its not just about how the Canadiens may improve next season. Its about what their competition will do as well. And the Division and Conference don't look like they're going to get easier.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad