Golf: The Official Ryder Cup Thread

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Aberg acquitting himself very nicely at Wentworth. I'm seeing on bet365 that they've now got Ludwig at +2500 to win the Masters next year... I'm hoping that's an error??
Well, he's got to qualify first.. OWGR top-50 looking likely by January 1st though, maybe already on Monday.

Judging by what I've seen this summer nothing is stopping him from top-10. A little inconsistent when it comes to scrambling and putting maybe, but might just be the small sample. No doubt he can pitch and putt, too.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Elvis P

Pretzel Logic
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
DJ said he'd be on the Ryder Cup team if he was a PGA golfer. There's no way. He's 110th in the world.

The European automatic qualifier system is crazy. Fleetwood is 14th in the world, and he wasn't automatic.

• Haha
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think most would agree he's the 'worst' player at Ryder Cup but still, three spots from the European list is not much especially since McIlroy and Rahm led the way. Says a bit about the state of the European tour I guess. Many including me wanted Meronk, but he's also played a full season and still collected just a little more than 1/3 of Rory's points. Not much to show on the big stage.

I still like the bottom half of this European squad a lot, much more than many other years. Quite frankly Rory's form is more of an issue right now. Åberg's emergance is huge for the team.
That’s a fair point. I would make it six world slots, and try to find some approximate computation with that for how to weight European Tour success. I think that European Tour success has to matter, but it shouldn’t be that there’s automatic spots anymore for best European Tour success.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
DJ said he'd be on the Ryder Cup team if he was a PGA golfer. There's no way. He's 110th in the world.

The European automatic qualifier system is crazy. Fleetwood is 14th in the world, and he wasn't automatic.
To be fair, he’s so far down because he’s on LIV. He’s had a bad year, but so has a number of PGA Tour golfers that got captains picks. I don’t think he would’ve qualified, but he probably would’ve been a captains pick if he never went to LIV. And in an alternate scenario where he doesn’t go to LIV, he might be more motivated to take his golf more seriously this year.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
7 European Ryder Cuppers finished inside the top 10 this week at Wentworth, including Aberg who fumbled the bag hard today. Gotta be feeling good about their chances in Rome.

Also, early prediction for a breakout next season: Min Woo Lee.

Reactions: Elvis P

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
looking forward to this just not the time it starts lol 2:30am my time friday oh well guess iwatch the replays during the day lol

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think about 15.5-12.5 USA. It’ll be close, but you can’t throw guys like Big Shot Bob and Nicolai Hojgaard out there and expect to beat a team with everyone ranked in the top 25. For all the talk Ludvig gets, he’s barely ranked in the top 100. Wouldn’t have been in contention to make the USA team. Neither would guys like Straka or Lowry.

Elvis P

Pretzel Logic
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
14.5 Europe even though Tiger and Phil being gone is a huge advantage for the US.

Last edited:

Elvis P

Pretzel Logic
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I’m changing to 15.5-12.5 Europe.
Welcome to the light side of the Force. 14.5 Europe for me. I've got groceries, I work at home, I've got a full bathroom 12 feet from my main tv, and my golf traditions are going to every Masters since 2017 and taking every Ryder Cup Friday off work since 2014. I'm ready for Feats of Strength! 💪

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I think about 15.5-12.5 USA. It’ll be close, but you can’t throw guys like Big Shot Bob and Nicolai Hojgaard out there and expect to beat a team with everyone ranked in the top 25. For all the talk Ludvig gets, he’s barely ranked in the top 100. Wouldn’t have been in contention to make the USA team. Neither would guys like Straka or Lowry.
I wouldn't judge a fearless young player like Nicolai beforehand, who is a winner on this course aswell. Datagolf ranks him alongside the likes of Thomas, Lowry, Rose, Harman already. Not a player I would throw out in foursomes and I doubt he will be, but chasing birdies and eagles in the fourballs he definitely can(one of the players than can toy with short par-4s). Åberg har gotten the rookie headlines but Nicolai is two years younger and a super talent in his own right.

Datagolf gives edge to USA's depth, but not nearly as much as the OWGR does. Only guy standing out way behind the rest is Bob. But Bob is also a winner on this course, so could be worse..

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Interesting foursomes to start, nothing too noteworthy for Europe(Lowry/Straka pairing maybe a little) but not quite what I anticipated for USA.

Game 1: 1UP Europe
Game 2: 3&2 Europe
Game 3: 4&3 USA
Game 4: A/S

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
USA is leaving their three most accomplished golfers on the bench for the first session. Interesting strategy.
No kidding when they need to get off to a winning start, if Europe wins the 1st match or matches overall the US could go down already, since it will be hard to win in that atmosphere.

As of right now I think this will be really close.

Elvis P

Pretzel Logic
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
1695948196310.png

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Scheffler is #1 though, even if it is a soft 1 and Spieth hasn't won in awhile.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad