Golf: The Official Ryder Cup Thread

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Just going off of world rankings, currently the Internationals could field a stronger 12 man roster than Europe can - that's how bad it's gotten for them.

And there isn't much coming down the pipeline either. The Americans left as many 25 and under players from the top 100 of the OWGR off their team as the Euros have in total. Hovland is just about it in terms of elite young prospects, and the core of the team isn't good enough to make up for that. Rahm has obviously surpassed expectations and Rory will be great for another 15 years, but apart from him you've got Fleetwood and Fitzpatrick who have plateaued or maybe even regressed plus Hatton who I don't think has another gear in him beyond what we've seen already. All three of them were supposed to be core guys, but it hasn't happened yet. So whereas for the past decade the core of the team has been Rory, Sergio, Rose, Stenson, Westwood, and Poulter, now you're looking at Rahm, Rory, and Hovland for the next five or so Ryder Cups. And that's assuming Hovland does become as good as I think he will, which is never a given.

Or, what could've happened is that the Americans all came in this week in great form while the Euros didn't, or it was just the perfect course fit for the Americans compared to the Euros (the inverse of 2018). The teams are both going to look very different in two years anyway, since that's what always happens.

This is what I said after the last Ryder Cup... it looks like the last paragraph was closest to the truth. I was wrong on those three Englishmen who've all regained form and played mostly well this week. Aberg asserted himself as an elite prospect and Hojgaard, while he seems pretty raw, might have staying power. I thought Aberg was actually pretty disappointing this week and his record overrates his contribution, but you'd have to think he'll be a part of this team for a long time going forward. Just need a bit more intensity out of him.

As for the Americans... some of it hinges on whether LIV players are able to qualify for the next Cup. A healthy Bryson needs to be at Bethpage. They were also missing Zalatoris, who should be there too, assuming he stays healthy once he returns to full health. We'll see on Theegala, I'm not big on his game as it stands now but he's getting better. I wonder if Gordon Sargent could be there. USA should have plenty of good options as they always do, but like this week, it all depends on whether their best players play like their best players. Cantlay stepped up but Scottie and Xander were total no-shows, and while the JT/Spieth pairing continues to bring a lot of good energy and vibes, their actual play was terrible. Spieth's driving stats this week were appalling. Figure your shit out, bruh.

Obviously there will be a ton of narratives on why the USA can't hack it in Europe but I think the one with the most credence is that they really should get over here and play a few tournaments beforehand.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Typical pro USA take. LaCava's antics were incredibly juvenile and have no part in any pro tournament let alone the Ryder Cup. If Johnson had any cojones at all he would have suspended him for today.
Pro USA? I literally said I thought Europe would win, and I was half a point from predicting the final score.

You can’t explain what he did wrong. You’ve written a bunch of meaningless words into sentences without explaining what he did wrong. Get back to me when you want to answer that very simple question of what he did wrong.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The Americans don’t seem to know how to play in the alternate shot either. Europe got 7 of the 8 points. Good move by Donald to put it back in early sessions. The four ball (better ball) was much closer but this competition was over on Friday.

Still can’t get over putting Rickie so late on Sunday. If the US did come back, they were betting on one of the biggest choke artists in the sport to pull through? Zach Johnson as expected led a clown show.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Pro USA? I literally said I thought Europe would win, and I was half a point from predicting the final score.

You can’t explain what he did wrong. You’ve written a bunch of meaningless words into sentences without explaining what he did wrong. Get back to me when you want to answer that very simple question of what he did wrong.
From Golf Digest:
When McIlroy, unbeaten in his previous three matches, and his caddie, Harry Diamond, asked LaCava to move, LaCava moved back and then took a few steps toward a crouching McIlroy. LaCava appeared to jaw at McIlroy and then gestured toward him with a dismissive wave.
After LaCava finally made his way to the edge of the green, he was confronted by Lowry and Justin Rose. NBC broadcaster John Wood, a former caddie, reported that LaCava basically told him he wanted to enjoy a celebration after not having much to cheer about over the first 16 matches.

And go watch the video of his actions. What in the hell is a caddie doing gesturing and jawing at players?

Reactions: Canes

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
From Golf Digest:
When McIlroy, unbeaten in his previous three matches, and his caddie, Harry Diamond, asked LaCava to move, LaCava moved back and then took a few steps toward a crouching McIlroy. LaCava appeared to jaw at McIlroy and then gestured toward him with a dismissive wave.
After LaCava finally made his way to the edge of the green, he was confronted by Lowry and Justin Rose. NBC broadcaster John Wood, a former caddie, reported that LaCava basically told him he wanted to enjoy a celebration after not having much to cheer about over the first 16 matches.

And go watch the video of his actions. What in the hell is a caddie doing gesturing and jawing at players?
Well, it begs the question how it started. He was celebrating. Did Rory react to that or did LaCava say/do something that was out of line?

I’m still not sure what LaCava did wrong. Yeah, he got into a fight with Rory, but the circumstances matter. He doesn’t need to stand in the firing line because he celebrated a putt. What happened after that? That’s the key question.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Well, it begs the question how it started. He was celebrating. Did Rory react to that or did LaCava say/do something that was out of line?

I’m still not sure what LaCava did wrong. Yeah, he got into a fight with Rory, but the circumstances matter. He doesn’t need to stand in the firing line because he celebrated a putt. What happened after that? That’s the key question.
This is a f***ing abhorrent take and you are so far wrong based on your hate of Rory it is unbelievable.

Rory had a putt to tie the match, and a caddie, a f***ing caddie was standing beside him holding him up by celebrating and jawing with the crowd. After being asked to move the caddie continued to jaw at Rory and interfere with the match.

Caddies have no business ever getting involved with the other team. They are not there to effect the other teams play they are there to support their player. It was juvenile and completely unprofessional by Lacava and basically universally agreed upon that he acted unprofessionally.

Rory was the best player at this Ryder Cup. 4-1, clutch all week and delivered when needed. The Europeans have 3 of the top 4 players in the world right now and Rory/Rahm/Hovland delivered when guys like Scottie/Schauffele/Koepka faded.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

I don't think players should be paid but cameras in the locker room are dumb.

That's the kind of intrusion that should be compensated for in some way. If this is all supposed to be a non-profit venture with profits from Netflix included then their should be some consideration for the competitive environment.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
NBC needs an intervention. Their golf coverage has become unwatchable. There were 16 golfers on the course for most of these sessions and they were going like an hour showing 1 or 2 shots for some of them.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
(It'll never happen but) If auto picks were eliminated for the next European Ryder Cup in four years, Homa is the only US golfer I'd bring back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad