TSN: The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread - PART XII

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Congrats to the dudes at LockedonSens. 1000 episodes during a pandemic and an endless rebuild they done well - must listen now for Sens fans
I find the Ottawa podcasts so bland since the sens have been out of it in feb. Just same old rehash of where Tarasenko is going and Coming in Hot still shitting all over Branny any chance they get talking about the defense

I know a few people got turned away from LockedOn since they started having Martian on more. Especially with him tweeting that Chychrun doesnt like Ottawa or something which was just poor taste

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
People who are 70 or older are not all ranters! Some are but then there are many ranters under age 70 too.
no Dude. It wa snot about ranting. It was more about his voice. Our voice can pin our age fairly accurately. As can some hesitation in speech and so on.

When I listened to Irish Tommy, everything about him, sounded like a 70 plus.

that is where the comment came from.

I am the world's worst ranter and I am 60. And I was ranting way worse when I was 20.

Reactions: Cosmix

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
I find the Ottawa podcasts so bland since the sens have been out of it in feb. Just same old rehash of where Tarasenko is going and Coming in Hot still shitting all over Branny any chance they get talking about the defense

I know a few people got turned away from LockedOn since they started having Martian on more. Especially with him tweeting that Chychrun doesnt like Ottawa or something which was just poor taste
Lol. The way Pilsy the Potato went off about the return for Tarasenko. He barely batted an eyelash over DJ Dorion the last 3 years. It's basicaly Bruce with a podcast.

Reactions: HSF

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
no Dude. It wa snot about ranting. It was more about his voice. Our voice can pin our age fairly accurately. As can some hesitation in speech and so on.

When I listened to Irish Tommy, everything about him, sounded like a 70 plus.

that is where the comment came from.

I am the world's worst ranter and I am 60. And I was ranting way worse when I was 20.
Ya definitely ranted more when younger.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

Yeah they should shy away from those clock bait rumours - those dudes have been positive for so long to get clicks from weird rumours doesn’t seem like it’s on brand for them

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

I have a hard time listening to those guys. Just seems like a couple fans who think their opinions matter more then they do. And absolutely awful voices for radio/podcasts, just horrendously grating. It's like nails on a chalkboard.

Reactions: HSF

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
I just listened to Dan Patrick interviewing Mike Krzyzewski. The old coach is 77.. his speech was slow, whit was not what it once was.

there was no need to leave us with this image and sound bite.... We need to keep older people protected and their legacy (VIPs or the COMMON PERSON) in tact.

the last 10 days has had:
Dave the voice Schreiber.. almost 80.. It was hard to listen to.
ex baseball Commissioner Fay Vincent 84.. it was hard to listen to
Coach K.. 77.. hard to listen to.

Nancy Reagan was a very smart women. Once former President Ronald Reagan aged and became less responsive, no one had access to him.. So, our last images are of him as President and reasonably able... No one saw former PM Brian Mulroney in later life. First Lady Mila is a smart woman.

The same applies to injured or sick people.. Michael Schumacher's family does not allow anyone to come within a mile of him.. So, our images of him is the star Driver winning championships and not a 50 plus year old in a very bad state.

I always cringe when some 75 plus year old is being interviewed, or on TV/radio in a more extended role... Some are great. CNN has John Dean.. 85 and is still terrific.. Not everyone is John Dean.

Some goes for your parents and grandparents folks.. safe guard their legacies, image and dignity...Make sure no elderly loved one is ever embarrassed or injured.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
I just listened to Dan Patrick interviewing Mike Krzyzewski. The old coach is 77.. his speech was slow, whit was not what it once was.

there was no need to leave us with this image and sound bite.... We need to keep older people protected and their legacy (VIPs or the COMMON PERSON) in tact.

the last 10 days has had:
Dave the voice Schreiber.. almost 80.. It was hard to listen to.
ex baseball Commissioner Fay Vincent 84.. it was hard to listen to
Coach K.. 77.. hard to listen to.

Nancy Reagan was a very smart women. Once former President Ronald Reagan aged and became less responsive, no one had access to him.. So, our last images are of him as President and reasonably able... No one saw former PM Brian Mulroney in later life. First Lady Mila is a smart woman.

The same applies to injured or sick people.. Michael Schumacher's family does not allow anyone to come within a mile of him.. So, our images of him is the star Driver winning championships and not a 50 plus year old in a very bad state.

I always cringe when some 75 plus year old is being interviewed, or on TV/radio in a more extended role... Some are great. CNN has John Dean.. 85 and is still terrific.. Not everyone is John Dean.

Some goes for your parents and grandparents folks.. safe guard their legacies, image and dignity...Make sure no elderly loved one is ever embarrassed or injured.
[mod edit]

And your point is well taken, by the way.

As legacy media goes by the wayside and more youthful mediums expand, I'd imagine we naturally will have less access to the elderly.

Last edited by a moderator:

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Hate how 1200 consistently holds water for Sens management

They always says it's a great trade, beautiful return ect.

They need to be more critical of Sens management. Noticed they're only critical of Pierre Dorion once he left the organization, *** but while he was the main guy in charge** they Never called for his job, should be fired for missing the playoffs 6 years in a row. But now that he's not part of the Org they're constantly jabbing him.

Same for Return of Tarasenko

Holding water for Steve Staios " he had no other option"

"Did the best he could "

It's Okay to be critical.
I hate this about Yorkie too. Feel like now its easy for them to point out system/structure flaws and poor GM moves now

Once Eugene passed, TSN 1200 has become much more responsible and much more balanced in their reporting on/of the Sens.

Remember: Eugene threatened media guys. He allegedly used Ukrainian hackers (or some Eastern European hackers) to infiltrate another organization that criticized him.

In general, Eugene was a person you did not cross. And so TSN1200 had personnel to protect and team access to protect.

Per Ian Mendez. He wrote it in his article. The Sens had frozen him out.. This was Eugene.

From roughly 2010 to 2022, Ottawa media had to walk a fine line and watch itself.

It is different today, they are much freerier to comment. If you listen to the show from 6 AM to 8. It is much harder and harsher on the team.

From 8 to 10.. They go soft again. But that is more to do with young people listening. They go soft so that young fans are not constantly being bombarded by negative imagery and negative messaging. Young fans hero worship and do not want to be beaten down by overly negative commentary This is not from me, it is from JR who said it on air and from any of a 1000 different sources of papers on youth and youth psychology.

And beyond youth, there is societal health. Negative imagery can have a bad affect. It can injure human psyche. That is why, media needs to be "honest and truthful", all the while being "hopeful and positive".

There is no longer Water Carrying. What there is not? A need to overly rant and rave and create an overly negative environment.

I do not like JR. But the reality is, he has done a good job of creating balance.

Toady was unique. People need to listen to the Ben Maller show on FOX at 5 am. He addressed a media issues that I found profound.
Dorion was no better

I think people are starting to realize he just wasn't a good GM or a good leader

Reactions: lancepitlick

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
[mod edit]
[mod edit]

Anyhow, back to radio. I find myself listening to an increasing amount of non-Senators related content + analysis during the commute.

Senators podcasts that feature insiders are usually late to the punch on content, and podcasts without insiders are generally uninspiring.

At least TSN1200 clips interesting insider content into 'podcast' format after the fact, but that negates the need to tune in live aside from game time if I'm on the road.

Of all personalities, I find Bobby Ryan (seemingly reluctantly, which might be his schtick) to be the most interesting talking head, and can see him outgrowing the Ottawa niche as an analyst if he wants to. He seems to bring more energy and chemistry to his spots with the Empty Netters guys than Yorkie and Wally.

I also appreciate the angle Methot brings to TV and in guest spots on podcasts. His start with Wally was great as well, and I enjoy how he pushes back on the more emotional portion of the fanbase given his experience and no fluff perspective.

All this to say, my preferences have evolved in that I don't care for the opinions of non-players and brass when breaking down on or off ice news. Give me access to current and former players and organizational employees and I'll give you my attention.

Last edited by a moderator:

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Does desjardins insurance not understand that a bad advertisement played over and over and over and over again can do more damage than good?

They’re in my annoying as all hell column now. Along with Spence diamonds(I will never shop there because of their radio ads. Not that I would have anyway).
And as I type this desjardins plays again second time this break.

redbrick98

Jun 6, 2023
Came across this on Reddit

But why doesn't the station spin itself off from Bell once the contract is up in 26' and go back to a locally owned station like the old days ... TEAM 1200

Not sure the logistics and dynamics but if they could somehow manage to unfold it in that fashion: it'd be great to keep this Sens coverage going past 2026!

License / Sign the next contract with the Sens, as Bell will likely want to exit this avenue

Instead of sitting around for the inevitable day, the people at or in and around the station right should try to be Proactive and spin it off , if possible? Be cool to see the station continues!

Last edited:
Reactions: Stylizer1

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

But why doesn't the station spin itself off from Bell once the contract is up in 26' and go back to a locally owned station like the old days ... TEAM 1200

Not sure the logistics and dynamics but if they could somehow manage to unfold it in that fashion: it'd be great to keep this Sens coverage going past 2026!

License / Sign the next contract with the Sens, as Bell will likely want to exit this avenue

Instead of sitting around for the inevitable day, the people at or in and around the station right should try to be Proactive and spin it off , if possible? Be cool to see the station continues!
A spin off independent station would not have the Sens rights. Honestly, it’s much easier to produce a morning drive live cast and then an afternoon drive live cast.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

who wants to bleed money?

4 - 8 hours shifts per day (DJs)
2 - Directors 40/wk
3 - 8 hours shifts per day (technical)
2 - sales and marketing 40/week

Do you think they could sell over $1M in advertising per year?

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Merge with 580. They already do the 67s games. Wouldn't be that hard to add in a 1-2 hour afternoon Sens/hockey/sports program and Sens game coverage to the 580 lineup.

Reactions: DrEasy

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
who wants to bleed money?

4 - 8 hours shifts per day (DJs)
2 - Directors 40/wk
3 - 8 hours shifts per day (technical)
2 - sales and marketing 40/week

Do you think they could sell over $1M in advertising per year?

Ach,

How can a small town like Cornwall have 3 stations, employee some 25 people combined and survive? (I honestly don't know if all 3 are still operating at the present). Granted, Civic, Provincial and Federal dollars subsidize.

So here is Ottawa, 1.1 Million. An area that is about 100 Km. So another 100,000 inhabitants. Making the net population 1.2 million.

1 sports station.. Why does it not survive? Why does it not garner 50-60 K of audience? That is a mere 4-5% of the net population, 8-9% of the adult population. It is incredible that the listenership for radio has so plummeted.

20 K fans attend Sens games (fans, workers, staff).. 22 K attend Redblacks (10-15 are common to Sens and them, 7 - 12 are unique). 6-7 at PWHL (1-2 unique). 6-7 at Atlético (1-2 unique). 3-4 at Blackjacks (1-2 unique). 1-2 at U sports (1 unique). 2-3 attend 'Other" (1 unique).

That is almost 40 K of fans willing to drop serious coin on sports. Suggesting 40-80 K of serious enough fans to be into sports. Yet less than 20 or 30 K listen to sports radio !!!! And add the "casual fan", you should be at 80-100 K.

How do 20 K people plan their day around a Sens game, yet do not turn their radios to TSN?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
The last 10 mins, before 8am this morning, on TSN 1200, was almost verbatim, my “take” on why has our rookie GM waited so long (Dec. 18th) to bring in a Head Coach…..

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
Guys,

Cone of Silence on injuries.

There is no need to discuss injuries. Either of present day and now injuries, or of something in a player's past.

We got the wool pulled over our eyes on, Leclaire and injured leg, on Cheechoo and his injuries and so on!

The less that the outside world knows the better. We need to be able to trade these guys! We need to talk them up, not devalue them.

If a player so much as breaks every bone in his body, from our end, he has a paper cut.

We don't need it known that some 18 year old had 2 surgeries. We have to trade him at 28 and need that info buried.

If anyone on here is linked to the club, tell your Staios, Andlauer, et all. Cone of silence on the media and a gag order on all employees and associates of the club. PULL A MELNYK..THREATEN

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
Guys,

Cone of Silence on injuries.

There is no need to discuss injuries. Either of present day and now injuries, or of something in a player's past.

We got the wool pulled over our eyes on, Leclaire and injured leg, on Cheechoo and his injuries and so on!

The less that the outside world knows the better. We need to be able to trade these guys! We need to talk them up, not devalue them.

If a player so much as breaks every bone in his body, from our end, he has a paper cut.

We don't need it known that some 18 year old had 2 surgeries. We have to trade him at 28 and need that info buried.

If anyone on here is linked to the club, tell your Staios, Andlauer, et all. Cone of silence on the media and a gag order on all employees and associates of the club. PULL A MELNYK..THREATEN

I'm assuming this is related to Chabot getting wrist surgery, discussed on the radio today? Hate to be the one to break it to you, but teams acquiring players review their medical records. Anyone trading for Chabot will want to have a look at his medical history. There's no way to conceal that from other teams, regardless of whether or not it gets out to fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad