The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread - Mod Warning Post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Well from everything I've read and he said I don't think being in the NHL/ hockey especially after he left Washington was good for him on a personal level and it cost him his marriage. Plus teams are always looking for the next "Wonder Kid" so guessing his time to get back in the league has passed. Look at Pierre and how hard he keeps trying to get back in the league and can't. I don't see Simmer staying at TSN1200, I think he'll move onto TSN TV or doing CTV mornings some day.

When\If he does leave, I'd like to see AJ have a shot a more regular show but I know he prefers play-by-play.

I think that had to do with infidelity.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Its pretty sad when Dean Roberts, the sports update guy, has the only listenable segments in the mornings. As bad as TGOR used to be, its getting much worse.

- Way too many contests where they actually bring the qualifier on the air, why?? No one wants to hear random qualifier, no one needs to hear random qualifier
- More commercials than any radio show in the history of radio
- Simmer at 7 has become even more of a joke where he gets on his soapbox and reads his tweets from the following day - what happened to them actually talking about the previous night's games??
- Having a 10 minute segment with a guy who has his own show on the same station is really a joke
- The Simpsons clips???? OK guys, the Simpsons aren't as cool as they used to be
- Ottawa Sooners talk (why???) no one cares
- Only NFL talk is about the Cowboys, where they don't even talk football, its mostly just ribbing Mendes and Versage.

Love this thread....and I know that they are reading....I love sports, so listening to TGOR and the Drive coming in and going home is like a drug. Very addictive cause the whole station is ridiculous.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Mendes knows as a host he is suppose to facilitate the interview while Simmer wants to become the focus of it. He always has a story about himself to relate to almost every interview or story the talk about on the show.

and when he asks a question of an interviewee he always makes sure to include so much background information on his view, if not the complete answer he wants to hear, that the "expert" is left with little to add but agree.

High School journalism teaches you not to do that.

And Mendes is not the only one to do that.

And the unending contests and oath taking are just complete trime wasters.

I can hear the laughter in the studio when they manage to make a whole segment about nothing but silly innuendo - sucked in the listeners again.

IMO

I think that had to do with infidelity.

Oh, if that's the case its even more a reason he needs to stop bringing up his divorce and how his wife took him for all his money. Maybe he deserved it. Either way, the jokes about it are getting as old as his Washington Capital stories.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I gave up trying to listen to 1200 this morning.

Turn it on this morning: PRESTON HARDWAAARE
*turn it off*

Turn it on an hour ago: NOBODY DEALS... LIKE DELAWRI!!!
*turn it off*

Turn it on just after 10am: oh good In the Box is starting. Oh wait no they aren't, they're going to commercial a few minutes after they get on the air.
(this is a recurring theme with them just blaming TGOR for going late... that's a garbage excuse when the 2 shows are on the same station in the same building).

Turn it on just now: YUP YUP GOODIE GOODIE YUP YUP GOBBLE
*turn it off*

Just can't deal with it today.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

*turn it off*

*turn it off*

Turn it on just after 10am: oh good In the Box is starting. Oh wait no they aren't, they're going to commercial a few minutes after they get on the air.
(this is a recurring theme with them just blaming TGOR for going late... that's a garbage excuse when the 2 shows are on the same station in the same building).

*turn it off*

Damn radio station. Having commercials in order to make a profit.

The audacity.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Damn radio station. Having commercials in order to make a profit.

The audacity.

I appreciate your sarcasm, however it's well known that 1200 has an obscene amount of commercials, and I'm giving an anecdote from my morning.

I've also been a loyal listener since 1200's inception over 15 years ago, and even I'm now getting to the point where I can't deal with the immense amount of breaks.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I appreciate your sarcasm, however it's well known that 1200 has an obscene amount of commercials, and I'm giving an anecdote from my morning.

I've also been a loyal listener since 1200's inception over 15 years ago, and even I'm now getting to the point where I can't deal with the immense amount of breaks.

But they all do it, though, just listen to the FAN590, TSN690 in Montreal, I mean, it is just the way it is. I believe it is usually 15 minutes radio, commercial and so on.

freddy61

Selfie
Jun 6, 2013
Up a tree
How about the 3-5 minutes of rambling sounds pretending to be music which overpowers the conversation when they go on too long before a break. Why don't they just play that in the hosts earpiece. We don't need to hear that when we are trying to listen to what is being said.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
How about the 3-5 minutes of rambling sounds pretending to be music which overpowers the conversation when they go on too long before a break. Why don't they just play that in the hosts earpiece. We don't need to hear that when we are trying to listen to what is being said.

The hosts are usually cued frequently by the producers when it's time to throw to commercial. When the bed of music is started it's usually low and gives the host time to sign off. The higher the volume gets, the longer it's taking the host and the more the producer is saying "COME ON GUYS, LET'S GO ALREADY." Also, the hosts don't usually have earpieces in the sense you're thinking. This isn't a TV production.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010

*turn it off*

*turn it off*

*turn it off*

It's 'YUM YUM GOODIE GOODIE YUM YUM GOBBLE'. Because, you know, there's only one thing in the whole wide world that eats itself. Your car.

That ad is amazing, by the way. It's so intrusive to listen to that it becomes ingrained within your subconscious.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
It's 'YUM YUM GOODIE GOODIE YUM YUM GOBBLE'. Because, you know, there's only one thing in the whole wide world that eats itself. Your car.

That ad is amazing, by the way. It's so intrusive to listen to that it becomes ingrained within your subconscious.

Ahh yes, my bad on that one. I should have known this. :laugh:

freddy61

Selfie
Jun 6, 2013
Up a tree
The hosts are usually cued frequently by the producers when it's time to throw to commercial. When the bed of music is started it's usually low and gives the host time to sign off. The higher the volume gets, the longer it's taking the host and the more the producer is saying "COME ON GUYS, LET'S GO ALREADY." Also, the hosts don't usually have earpieces in the sense you're thinking. This isn't a TV production.

I wasn't implying that it's a small earpiece like on tv. The hosts use large padded headphone sets. They take them off during commercials and put them back on when the segment starts. I've seen radio productions close on. But that's not the point. It would be easy for the producer to send the "music" so only the hosts can hear it. Why bug the listeners with that nonsense. Not everyone is sitting in a quiet room while listening to the radio it's sometimes hard enough to tune out outside noise and still hear the hosts without having to hear manufactured noise from the station's producer.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Well from everything I've read and he said I don't think being in the NHL/ hockey especially after he left Washington was good for him on a personal level and it cost him his marriage. Plus teams are always looking for the next "Wonder Kid" so guessing his time to get back in the league has passed. Look at Pierre and how hard he keeps trying to get back in the league and can't. I don't see Simmer staying at TSN1200, I think he'll move onto TSN TV or doing CTV mornings some day.

When\If he does leave, I'd like to see AJ have a shot a more regular show but I know he prefers play-by-play.

Pierre is a bit of a unique case. He really acted like a first grade jerk and burned a lot of bridges in his time as coach/GM.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
But they all do it, though, just listen to the FAN590, TSN690 in Montreal, I mean, it is just the way it is. I believe it is usually 15 minutes radio, commercial and so on.

I listened to Leafs Lunch today to check this out. They talked straight from 1:00 to 1:30, the only commercial was for Ray Ferraro's ligament medication.

I've listened to Marinaro (sp?) as well as they go for a good 20-25 minutes of talk between commercials.

There is way, way, way too much fluff on TSN1200. We don't need to hear contestants on the air when they're the 25th caller. And Simmer is getting worse. I tuned in at 2:00 p.m. yesterday and all I heard was "giggle giggle giggle giggle Dallas Cowboys giggle giggle giggle Mendes tries to steer the ship giggle giggle giggle* I mean...who is going to hire this guy?

Its pretty sad when Dean Roberts, the sports update guy, has the only listenable segments in the mornings. As bad as TGOR used to be, its getting much worse.

- Way too many contests where they actually bring the qualifier on the air, why?? No one wants to hear random qualifier, no one needs to hear random qualifier
- More commercials than any radio show in the history of radio
- Simmer at 7 has become even more of a joke where he gets on his soapbox and reads his tweets from the following day - what happened to them actually talking about the previous night's games??
- Having a 10 minute segment with a guy who has his own show on the same station is really a joke
- The Simpsons clips???? OK guys, the Simpsons aren't as cool as they used to be
- Ottawa Sooners talk (why???) no one cares
- Only NFL talk is about the Cowboys, where they don't even talk football, its mostly just ribbing Mendes and Versage.

Love this thread....and I know that they are reading....I love sports, so listening to TGOR and the Drive coming in and going home is like a drug. Very addictive cause the whole station is ridiculous.

:yo::yo::handclap::handclap:

Great post! It is addicting but I've weaned myself off of it. Went cold turkey. Tune in to the Montreal and Toronto and Winnipeg ones and the French ones at night. I actually get...wait for it...sports takes! I give The Drive 5 minutes to impress me. If I hear Simmer going on about whatever and giggling, I switch. If I hear YAP YAP GOODIE YAP YAP GOBBLE I switch.

Morning show is only listenable when McGuire is on.
Really, TSN1200 should just stop airing so much stuff and just have a feed from Montreal/Toronto/bring Jim Rome back or at least dump Simmer at 7 completely. He talked about dancing the other day...what a waste of airspace that guy is.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
So, I really quick example of how TSN1200, specifically TGOR works to end the 6:00 hour and begin the 7:00 hour

Commercial Break at 6:55 to 7:00
7:00-7:03 - News
7:03-7:10 - Dean Roberts Update
7:10-7:13 - More commercials

TGOR back on the air 7:12: "Welcome back, welcome to it, Faux Friday....."

7:13-7:15 - discussion with the 25th caller
7:15-7:20 - ANOTHER COMMERCIAL BREAK
7:20-7:30 - Simmer's segment
7:30-7:35 - ANOTHER COMMERCIAL BREAK
7:35-7:40 - Sports Update
7:40-7:45 - 60 second shootout
7:42 - 7:48 ANOTHER COMMERCIAL BREAK
7:55 Commercial

Not sure what happens after that, pretty sure not a whole lot. I am obviously making up the times, but I am fairly close to accurate. So, basically in their busiest time frame, when the most listeners would be tuning in on their way to work, other than Dean Roberts, they have roughly max 17 minutes of "sports talk". 10 of those minutes is with Simmer where 5 of those minutes are him reading his tweets, talking about his buddies, pino, giggling, etc. The non-Simmer segment where they have an opportunity to talk sports, they choose to discuss apples instead.

What boggles my mind is that the "TSN1200 defenders" think this is normal...(sarcastic post above about how TSN690 is the same)??? Is it??? I get it, commercials make money BUT, if you could create a quality radio station, the audience would be there. More listeners create more profit and less need for advertising.

Right now, the audience is tuning out and none of the hosts seem to care.

Last edited:

IMO

Ratings

Just curious anyone see any recent ratings of tsn1200 in general and for the individual shows? Interested to see where they are comparably. Also wonder if Mendes hosting is higher rating then when Dave Gross was there?

Alfieghetti

inflamed
Jul 29, 2009
comparison-recent-ratings.png

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
So, I really quick example of how TSN1200, specifically TGOR works to end the 6:00 hour and begin the 7:00 hour

What boggles my mind is that the "TSN1200 defenders" think this is normal...(sarcastic post above about how TSN690 is the same)??? Is it??? I get it, commercials make money BUT, if you could create a quality radio station, the audience would be there. More listeners create more profit and less need for advertising.

This could be a dumb question re: the bolded ... I'm not in the radio business, so please forgive me. But how do "more listeners create more profit" without adverising?

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Morning show is only listenable when McGuire is on.

Am I the only guy who finds Pierre's segment both annoying and boring now? From his pseudo-intellectual vocabulary that allows him to babble without ever really saying anything, to his name dropping, to his wishy washy takes, to his faux "great guy" persona, to his implying that he was actually an important part of the Penguins Stanley cup victories 20 years ago, to his obviously false claims that he's seen every single NHL prospect play in junior or college... I find myself wishing they'd fill that slot with somebody else.

And from today's show, after he gave dozey answers thru the first 5 minutes or so they brought on a caller:

CALLER : Hey Pierre! I'm a big NY Rangers fan! And my question is how are things going for Derek Stepan? Thanks!

PIERRE (snarky 12 year old girl tone): Thanks! Thanks for watching the games! Derek Stepan isn't playing! He is injured.

JR : Yeah, Pierre, I think the caller is asking how Stepan's recovery is going.

PIERRE : Oh, oh! Well he has a broken leg....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig