The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread - Mod Warning Post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perjong

Oct 1, 2013
Are they still doing sports updates every 15 minutes? Do they not realize that it's a huge waste of time? They don't need to regurgitate the same boring sports "news" every 15 minutes. Nothing changed from 15 minutes ago, or even an hour ago, or even last night. The time they waste on that repetitive crap for some entertaining off the rails conversation.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Are they still doing sports updates every 15 minutes? Do they not realize that it's a huge waste of time? They don't need to regurgitate the same boring sports "news" every 15 minutes. Nothing changed from 15 minutes ago, or even an hour ago, or even last night. The time they waste on that repetitive crap for some entertaining off the rails conversation.

Ya, but they seem to come at random times now. It used to be every 20 minutes. Agreed on the waste of time, especially playing audio of something when it gets played during the segment intro 3 minutes later.

I think The Drive is the show that has it "together" the most, in terms of hosts, chemistry, timing of commercials, and overall production value. I very much enjoy listening daily. In the Box is a hot mess lately, though.

I heard Brennan harp on EK again this morning on TGOR. How he gets on the radio, let alone guest HOST the show, is beyond me.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I'm not going to lie. I'll be pretty excited for the 'old guard' to be laid to rest (mostly Garrioch and Brennan) when their days come...of course since they still have a job after everything they've written/done and the quality of their work means that time isn't imminent, unfortunately.

Perjong

Oct 1, 2013
Years ago it was every 15 minutes. That was there thing: "Sports new every 15 minutes or when sports new breaks". Every half hour is more than enough, especially since most of the time it's just a recording of the first new break earlier in the morning.

I don't get to listen to In the Box. Well, I could, but during the day I listen to old TGOR podcasts. But when I have listened to Steve Lloyd and Jason York in whatever iteration their shows were, I generally enjoyed it. But I am not someone who listens to sports radio for the sports talk, so anytime something goes off topic, that is when I get interested. And all the re-branding and corporate changes have killed most of that.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Not as much radio related but a somewhat humerous argument (not the topic but more the johnson measuring) the other night between Dean and the Puck Daddy guy erupted on twitter. The debate was over the paramedic tweet from the Detroit game and Dean apparently not following it up.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Ya, but they seem to come at random times now. It used to be every 20 minutes. Agreed on the waste of time, especially playing audio of something when it gets played during the segment intro 3 minutes later.

I think The Drive is the show that has it "together" the most, in terms of hosts, chemistry, timing of commercials, and overall production value. I very much enjoy listening daily. In the Box is a hot mess lately, though.

I heard Brennan harp on EK again this morning on TGOR. How he gets on the radio, let alone guest HOST the show, is beyond me.

Most people don't listen to the radio all day long. Most people don't even listen to one of the shows in its entirety. The majority of people tuning are doing so during their drives to and from work. That's why you get sports updates every 20 minutes, that's why they rehash topics over the day and replay interviews.

It makes sense.

Perjong

Oct 1, 2013
But in this day and age, they don't need to repeat the sports updates. Everything is readily available online and in newspapers. I am sure that people that have a 10 minute drive would rather listen to the hosts talking than getting a sports update that they already read about or will read about at work.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
But in this day and age, they don't need to repeat the sports updates. Everything is readily available online and in newspapers. I am sure that people that have a 10 minute drive would rather listen to the hosts talking than getting a sports update that they already read about or will read about at work.

Disagree. I first heard about the Stevie Johnson to SF trade on TSN1200, and my first thought wasn't "meh, I'll read about it later." It was, "oh, wow. Sure glad I heard that."

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Disagree. I first heard about the Stevie Johnson to SF trade on TSN1200, and my first thought wasn't "meh, I'll read about it later." It was, "oh, wow. Sure glad I heard that."

I think the main issue is that major news (trades, a court ruling, etc) breaks quite infrequently during the course of a regular day, so most of the time, it is indeed just constant repetition. I'll concede that perhaps the updates are a necessary evil.

Usually though, the biggest news that breaks throughout the day ends up being who is starting in goal that night for Ottawa.

IMO

Ian Mendes

Ha, I finally got the answer to my own question. I didn't know that Ian Mendes was doing to postgame shows on Sens web page. Makes since now that he goes to practices and doesn't do the tsn 1200 post game.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
if you're not listening to the sherry bassin interview on 1200 now, i recommend listening to it later from the 1200 site.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
if you're not listening to the sherry bassin interview on 1200 now, i recommend listening to it later from the 1200 site.

I just caught the end of that... what I gathered from that 45 seconds is that he is a senile old man confusing Simmer for some kid. "Shawn Simpson could play tic tac toe with the puck" ...what?

Better listen to the whole thing....

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
I just caught the end of that... what I gathered from that 45 seconds is that he is a senile old man confusing Simmer for some kid. "Shawn Simpson could play tic tac toe with the puck" ...what?

Better listen to the whole thing....

Always found Bassin to be smug and conceded when he was with the Oshawa Generals. I guess he didn't like all those multiple playoff losses to Killer back in the day! :laugh:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I just hope whoever was doing the postgame show of the Vancouver game isn't doing it again.

Holy crap, talk about William Shatner syndrome. And now.......let's talk about......the last play.......in the second..........period. We can all see..............how it fell....................apart...........

Holy crap, dude! Whoever that was couldn't string together more than 3-4 words without a pregnant pause. It was awful. I listened just long enough to catch the final score at work and couldn't take it any longer and shut it off. Brutal. Those kind of pregnant pauses work well when pushing a point, but must be used very sparingly. Overdoing it a la Jim Rome just makes for baaaaaaaaaaad radio.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Uh-oh. Simmer was in quite the mood this morning. Looks like his favorite whipping boys will keep getting whipped all afternoon.

Also, when did TSN1200 stop talking about all of the other games in the league?? Even the days when the Sens aren't playing, all hockey talk still centres around the Sens, which is normal, but do we really need to hear Simmer dog on Mike and Ryan in the morning AND all afternoon??

The only non-Sens hockey talk generally revolves around questionable hits, or the Leafs. That's pretty much it. Simmer at 7 used to, at the very least, talk about a few of the games from the previous night. Now all we hear is Simmer's soapbox rants, which we hear all afternoon, no need to hear it again in the morning.

Sensfanatic

Nov 8, 2014
Simmer's take on the Sens is bang on for the most part. He, like many others, recognize that we are winning games despite being outplayed. He realizes this can't continue for much longer and I totally agree with him. I also agree with him that the major factor is lack of overall team speed.
I also share his frustration when he says that the team could be much better with a few strategic changes.

While Simmer can be quite silly at times, and I don't agree with him on the issue of Bobby Ryan, his analysis is generally quite good and I think we're lucky to have him in Ottawa.

bonehead

May 27, 2002
Visit site
Simmer's take on the Sens is bang on for the most part. He, like many others, recognize that we are winning games despite being outplayed. He realizes this can't continue for much longer and I totally agree with him. I also agree with him that the major factor is lack of overall team speed.
I also share his frustration when he says that the team could be much better with a few strategic changes.

While Simmer can be quite silly at times, and I don't agree with him on the issue of Bobby Ryan, his analysis is generally quite good and I think we're lucky to have him in Ottawa.

I agree with this. Simmer is really the only one in the Ottawa media to say what everyone here sees - team is slow, team is young, but it's the veterans holding us back.

Heard Dean Brown yesterday afternoon talking about potential lineup changes (after that horrible effort in Vancouver). He thought a change would be good - shake things up - but his first three options to sit were Lazar, Stone and Hoffman (!!!). He thankfully dismissed that idea but went on to say "I'm not sure who you sit after that". It's comical how much non-analysis we get from these supposed informed insiders and why Simmer is full value.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Dean Brown is useless when it comes to actual Sens discussion.
I swear he has learned nothing in his 20 years of calling hockey games.

I dont like him as a play by play guy, but some do and thats cool - but i dont know how anyone can defend his hockey "insights"
He's never met a veteran who's a$$ he didnt want french kiss.

the next interesting thing he says on the radio will be the first thing - and dont worry,if you miss it he'll repeat it 10 more times.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Last year right up until the season was half over,Simmer was saying with great assurance that Montreal was very weak and would soon regress. I dont think he's ever been right on his pronouncements about the next GM's or coaches whenever there is an opening although he always proclaims his opinion as fact.Seems like he is wrong more often than right.

It seems as though earlier in his career he had formed an opinion of Ryan and wants to be proved right. Bobby is off to a slow start so that hasn't helped.

His idea of having Greening and Condra replace Neil and Smith was interesting though. Neil is losing his ice time but for certain games like tomorrow with Calgary the Sens will want him in the lineup. But I think its nearing the time that Neil should take an occasional turn in the press box, not because he isn't trying but just because he has lost a step.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad