The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Maybe I misunderstood, but I think Pierre was more discussing the fact that had Pittsburgh scored early in the game on their power plays, instead of hitting the post, that the game would have had a different feel. He discussed how the crowd would be more involved, and that Ottawa would not have had the momentum from killing 3 penalties early in the game. Ottawa would have also been playing from behind which could have changed parts of the game as well.

It was easy to misunderstand, as I think he started out talking about the Kessel crossbar in the third and then he switched and talked about the post early in the first.

One thing I understand though -- Pierre's a jackass.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Morning shows are always like that. Most people don't want to dive into x and o's right out of the gate when they wake up. They talk Sens almost the entire time but in a more generic, playful or cheerful way.

I like that TGOR is the way it is. Maybe it's just me, but I hardly think so.

Ian and Simmer in the afternoons go more into details and get you primed with the necessary info or discussions. They seem to get the better guests and do get into more detailed discussions than TGOR.

There is only so much they can talk Sens in a 12 hour period day after day. Each show will obviously do things differently for that reason.

I get you probably can't listen to all their shows, but over the course of the day, they basically touch on every single topic they could. It would get very boring if they all had the same formula.

I do agree with what you are saying, but I do think that when your team is in the ECF, your station should be all Sens all the time. Getting to this point in the playoffs isn't something that happens every year.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Maybe I misunderstood, but I think Pierre was more discussing the fact that had Pittsburgh scored early in the game on their power plays, instead of hitting the post, that the game would have had a different feel. He discussed how the crowd would be more involved, and that Ottawa would not have had the momentum from killing 3 penalties early in the game. Ottawa would have also been playing from behind which could have changed parts of the game as well.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda ... in the real world we deal with what really did happen as opposed to what would have, could have or should have happened & what really happened was that the Ottawa Senators beat McGuire's favourite [mod].

Last edited by a moderator:

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Oh Pierre :shakehead

I think its time for TGOR to have a new 8:00 hockey guy.

Any suggestions??

What a bizarre take, that the Sens played better in game 2 than game 1. Completely disagree.

Also, I feel like JR and Steve are brushing off Pierre's dinner offering... kinda rude TBH, given how much time and effort he puts into calling the show every day. You are professionals, you go to dinner with your colleague.

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
What a bizarre take, that the Sens played better in game 2 than game 1. Completely disagree.

Also, I feel like JR and Steve are brushing off Pierre's dinner offering... kinda rude TBH, given how much time and effort he puts into calling the show every day. You are professionals, you go to dinner with your colleague.

I heard it at the time. I didn't really pay attention to the follow up.

At the time, I heard it as a bit tongue in cheek about getting a hall pass from the family, or having enough 'credits' to be able to go out.

Not a brush off, and really I don't want them making those plans on the air.

On the Senators having a better game last night - my only guess is he was responding to how the Senators were able to keep a hungry Penguins team to one goal and that was better than shutting down a clearly disinterested Penguins team in game 1.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I heard it at the time. I didn't really pay attention to the follow up.

At the time, I heard it as a bit tongue in cheek about getting a hall pass from the family, or having enough 'credits' to be able to go out.

Not a brush off, and really I don't want them making those plans on the air.

On the Senators having a better game last night - my only guess is he was responding to how the Senators were able to keep a hungry Penguins team to one goal and that was better than shutting down a clearly disinterested Penguins team in game 1.

I only brought the dinner thing up because this is the second straight day he extended the invite.

SenatorsHockey

Sweet hockey body
Jan 6, 2009
Ottawa
The same Don Brennan who predicted that the Penguins would sweep the Sens?

That guy?

... yeah. I'm sure the city is hanging on his every word. :laugh:

On the pre-game show prior to game 1, I'm pretty sure he said Fleury was going to lay a stinker and get pulled in favour of Matt Murray. Immediately after finishing, the other guys started calling him out since he predicted a Pens sweep. He was basically contradicting his own prediction since both outcomes weren't likely to happen in the same scenario :laugh:

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
On the pre-game show prior to game 1, I'm pretty sure he said Fleury was going to lay a stinker and get pulled in favour of Matt Murray. Immediately after finishing, the other guys started calling him out since he predicted a Pens sweep. He was basically contradicting his own prediction since both outcomes weren't likely to happen in the same scenario :laugh:

This guy is a regular contributor to your local sports radio station everyone. Just goes to show you how much hard work goes into finding quality guests.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
This guy is a regular contributor to your local sports radio station everyone. Just goes to show you how much hard work goes into finding quality guests.

It's not hard to find things to discuss its simply just egos. Go onto the front page of the HFBoards and look at the threads and any of those topics carry more interest to the average Ottawa fan than Don Brennan. He's a joke and the only reason he has a job is because we have no other sports writers. If we had 10 writers Brennan wouldn't be employed anymore because no one would read his stuff. His bashing of Andy lost many and then his constant "I love the sens but they'll lose" and then "I only picked the other team for fun, it was all a joke"

He's a knob.

Same with Ian, I feel for him trying to find topics but cmon dude, we have more interesting discussions on this thing than half of the stuff he talks about.

Want interesting topics?

Cody Ceci is a big topic that the fans would discuss
Colin White not playing
Smith being hurt or the fly by
Boucher not forechecking enough
Burrows sucking ass
Expansion draft

These are just the main topics on this Ottawa Senators forum. Go to the main page and there are even more interesting topics.

Hell I would love to see more debates from HF'ers on the radio for fun too, not to brag but we bring tons of varying perspectives that is way better thant he cliché stuff you get on TSN1200.

Unfortunately they'll only discuss the topics that the SENS are ok with. Burrows trade that sucks makes Dioron look bad. Smith playing hurt shouldn't be discussed because the team wont talk. etc....

anyway I digress.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Whitey's breakdown of the Sens' system this morning was spectacular! Two full segments on what they are doing/supposed to be doing in each zone. Where each player goes and how it works.

It was great and should not only be required listening for every single member on this board but for every hockey fan. I get tired of reading or hearing from folks that don't have the slightest idea how hockey systems work. Much of the fault lies with the TV analysts not being able to describe it but not this morning.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Whitey's breakdown of the Sens' system this morning was spectacular! Two full segments on what they are doing/supposed to be doing in each zone. Where each player goes and how it works.

He's really come into his own on radio recently. I agree that he's been great. It's enough to tempt me back from TSN690 when he's on. It's an awkward time of day, which is the only downside.

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
Disappointed in Pierre this morning. I thought the take would be that with the Sens having the most quality scoring chances in the first period, if they would have scored a goal - say Dzingle on the 2 on 1 for example - the Pens would have been chasing and it would have changed the complexion of the game.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009

It was great and should not only be required listening for every single member on this board but for every hockey fan. I get tired of reading or hearing from folks that don't have the slightest idea how hockey systems work. Much of the fault lies with the TV analysts not being able to describe it but not this morning.

what segment?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

If anyone has a Team 1200 link, I'd love to hear it.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

Engraziel!

L5T0xPj.gif

tsn1200lady

Apr 6, 2015
Ya fair enough.
God forbid the ORLEANS ONLINE community news site does a story on a local boy's eventual success and settling back into Ottawa after a tumultuous journey. It's not like he is going to lay out his whole past life for a part-time community writer. He discussed it before, there's no need to dive back into the painful past.

Because it's what's they call these days "Fake News" for a fake person. I get you worship the man, but he's become a narcissist elitist. I almost felt sorry for him when I read Mendes article but not now. There is nothing humble about the man, it's all about him and how great he thinks he is and he talks down to everyone. I actually use to like him the first couple years, and thought he'd be an interesting person to have a drink with. However, not now, of course not that Simmer would lower himself to him to have drinks with a lowly listener. Unlike Ian who has graciously offered to have a drink with a number of people on here, Simmer would never. Simmer only associates with people of certain status, if you're not among Ottawa's wealthy, powerful or beautiful forget it. He's taken over JR's ivory tower and needs to be knocked off. :handclap:

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
Because it's what's they call these days "Fake News" for a fake person. I get you worship the man, but he's become a narcissist elitist. I almost felt sorry for him when I read Mendes article but not now. There is nothing humble about the man, it's all about him and how great he thinks he is and he talks down to everyone. I actually use to like him the first couple years, and thought he'd be an interesting person to have a drink with. However, not now, of course not that Simmer would lower himself to him to have drinks with a lowly listener. Unlike Ian who has graciously offered to have a drink with a number of people on here, Simmer would never. Simmer only associates with people of certain status, if you're not among Ottawa's wealthy, powerful or beautiful forget it. He's taken over JR's ivory tower and needs to be knocked off. :handclap:

Do you know the guy or something? I get a radio host not being to ones particular taste, but the vendetta you seem to have against Simmer borders between bizarre and creepy.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Do you know the guy or something? I get a radio host not being to ones particular taste, but the vendetta you seem to have against Simmer borders between bizarre and creepy.

Maybe she went out with him and he never called her. She does seem obsessed with the guy.

ianmendes

Dec 15, 2016
It's not hard to find things to discuss its simply just egos. Go onto the front page of the HFBoards and look at the threads and any of those topics carry more interest to the average Ottawa fan than Don Brennan. He's a joke and the only reason he has a job is because we have no other sports writers. If we had 10 writers Brennan wouldn't be employed anymore because no one would read his stuff. His bashing of Andy lost many and then his constant "I love the sens but they'll lose" and then "I only picked the other team for fun, it was all a joke"

He's a knob.

Same with Ian, I feel for him trying to find topics but cmon dude, we have more interesting discussions on this thing than half of the stuff he talks about.

Want interesting topics?

Cody Ceci is a big topic that the fans would discuss
Colin White not playing
Smith being hurt or the fly by
Boucher not forechecking enough
Burrows sucking ass
Expansion draft

These are just the main topics on this Ottawa Senators forum. Go to the main page and there are even more interesting topics.

Hell I would love to see more debates from HF'ers on the radio for fun too, not to brag but we bring tons of varying perspectives that is way better thant he cliché stuff you get on TSN1200.

Unfortunately they'll only discuss the topics that the SENS are ok with. Burrows trade that sucks makes Dioron look bad. Smith playing hurt shouldn't be discussed because the team wont talk. etc....

anyway I digress.

First of all, if you want to engage in a thoughtful and progressive discussion, calling me a knob -- or inferring that I'm a knob -- isn't a great start.

But anyway, rest assured that I do check various online forums for story ideas and to get a temperature on topics for Sens fans. This includes, but is not limited to: HF Boards, Twitter, Facebook, and Reddit. I will sometimes scour the comment sections on Sens articles online too to get a handle on the fan base. Combined with the thousands of texts/e-mails we get into the station on a weekly basis, it paints a fairly accurate picture of what Sens fans are interested in talking about.

Also, this post is the perfect launching point for me to bring up something that I've wanted to chat about for a while on this forum. I've seen a lot of comments on this site saying, "Hey - Mendes needs to be less sensitive and learn that not everybody is going to like him."

But I want to flip that script for just a moment and ask this question to you listeners: If I'm supposed to deal with 25 per cent of people not liking me, could I then ask you to accept that you may not like 25 per cent of my show?

My point is, if you come into my show looking to be pleased 100 per cent of the time, you are going to be disappointed every single time. So if you can accept that you will be entertained/happy with 75 per cent of my show, I think it will allow for a much better listening experience.

I think an issue that many listeners have is that they want to be pleased/entertained 100 per cent of the time. So I'm simply asking you to change your expectation level to something more reasonable - like 75 per cent - and see where it goes.

And as I mentioned, if you're going to play the 'Hey - not everyone is going to like you Mendes' card, then I think it's only fair for me to play this one.

Thanks again for everybody who listens to our station and is engaged enough to try and invoke a positive change. But that only happens when it's a two-way discussion -- and not a one-way process. If you're willing to change some of your listening habits, then I'm willing to be more flexible too.

And as always, the personal e-mail to reach me at is: [email protected]

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

She has 134 posts on HF, and ALL of them are on the 4 radio threads. Not one damned post about the Ottawa Senators.....

Creepy is right.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002

this!
i couldnt believe someone was actually breaking down the/a system with actual information.
its so...un hockey like
i mean listen to any colour guy etc NOBODY ever actually where breakdowns happen & whose responsible in context of a system. They just redescribe the play you're watching with your own eyes, or give you a "there it is a bing, bang, bong aaaaand back of the net"

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
She has 134 posts on HF, and ALL of them are on the 4 radio threads. Not one damned post about the Ottawa Senators.....

Well her name isn't 'cbc_radio_one_lady', so I guess we shouldn't be surprised.

But I want to flip that script for just a moment and ask this question to you listeners: If I'm supposed to deal with 25 per cent of people not liking me, could I then ask you to accept that you may not like 25 per cent of my show?
And as I mentioned, if you're going to play the 'Hey - not everyone is going to like you Mendes' card, then I think it's only fair for me to play this one.

It's fair but not sure how relevant it is in the end. People are either going to be motivated to listen to your show or not. If people take you up on your deal what is the end goal, that they don't discuss the 25% of the show that they don't like? When people talk about segments that they don't like, there's not really any indication of what percentage of the show that they like or don't like. Presumably there's enough that they are still listening. There are more than a few posts on here of people specifically coming to tell people about segments that they enjoyed and are worth listening to.

I would not be as blunt as the person you were responding to, but there are a lot of times when I flip over and there is what I'd describe as a fluff piece. Yesterday, it was some MLB pitcher who was talking to people on the street who presumably didn't know who he was. I didn't last too long before switching back to my regular listen (similar to when there was a long segment about the Edmonton bathroom situation). On the other hand, Pierre Lebrun was on the show as a guest in another couple of segments and when I hear Pierre, my radio is not changing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad