Status
Not open for further replies.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
New thread.

8399526_orig.png

Last posts from old thread:

Donny is just an intentional idiot that says nonsense for attention.

So TSN1200 gives Brennan a platform to say Neil deserves to be in the Hockey Hall of Fame, and *we're* the ass clowns?

As much as many on here say TSN 1200 sugarcoats everything about the Sens and Simmer has no real depth, Simmer and Mendes are having a very frank and real conversation about the orgs moves the last few years, pushes and pulls of why, and where everything is at right now.

Oh it's getting better forsure. Simmer and Ian are legit for that when it comes to dissecting the Org.

Always room for improvement tho. Steve Lloyd and Told White severely lack in this area. And even JR today was extremely hesitant to even remotely criticize Senators Management directly for hideous Bobby Ryan trade ...instead you could hear in his voice he didn't want to talk about it as it concerns Sens brass and their blunders

ChelFan31

Mar 22, 2016
Great show today on the Drive on TSN 1200. Ian and Shawn really brought it.

If anyone gets a chance, The Drive Hour 1 especially in the second half is pure GOLD and extremely rare occurrence of the mainstream Ottawa 'hush hush dont blame Senators Management' media we normally get from the Gord Wilsons, Dean Browns, Bruce Garriochs, Todd Whites, Steve Lloyds, JRs of the world . They go into great detail of the state of the Ottawa Senators franchise.

Great work Ian & Shawn. I hope Senators Management doesn't get to you guys, and force you guys to discontinue this TRUE and pure Fact real assessment of the state of the Ottawa Senators going forward. I know they've been known in the past [particularly Bryan Murray] to not allow Shawn Simpson to do interviews with the GM, for the sole reason that he was being critical of the Bobby Ryan trade. This is exactly what this city is lacking and needs. We get enough of the sugar coating from everyone else, thank you for providing something refreshing to listen to.

Last edited:

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
Yup. Really enjoyed the last 15 mins of the first hour of The Drive today. Good work, Ian and Shawn.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004

If anyone gets a chance, The Drive Hour 1 especially in the second half is pure GOLD and extremely rare occurrence of the mainstream Ottawa 'hush hush dont blame Senators Management' media we normally get from the Gord Wilsons, Dean Browns, Bruce Garriochs, Todd Whites, Steve Lloyds, JRs of the world . They go into great detail of the state of the Ottawa Senators franchise.

Great work Ian & Shawn. I hope Senators Management doesn't get to you guys, and force you guys to discontinue this TRUE and pure Fact real assessment of the state of the Ottawa Senators going forward. I know they've been known in the past [particularly Bryan Murray] to not allow Shawn Simpson to do interviews with the GM, for the sole reason that he was being critical of the Bobby Ryan trade. This is exactly what this city is lacking and needs. We get enough of the sugar coating from everyone else, thank you for providing something refreshing to listen to.

I enjoyed this oasis of dialogue and insight. Its a step and I do applaud the initiative. Much better than "which player I want to attend Guns and Roses with", including all of the diatribe asides...Today I felt I was listening to something substantial and worthy. I did not listen beyond the first hour.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
I'm going to agree that it was refreshing. However...Simmer in a post-game said that a Rangers source said they weren't happy with Ziggy, and now he's saying he's a better player than Brassard. So the inconsistency on Simmer's part is a little jarring. However, effort counts for something and at least they are honest about where the team stands. I'll listen a lot more if they keep this up.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

This is great news, Simmer has a ton to say, I feel he basically speaks with a muzzle on. Here they have a huge insider who speaks like an aMercian and they won't let him speak his mind, and all he's talking about is exactly what most people see on ththe ice, just bizarre. I can see them landing Simmer, thinking how great it'll be for insider talk, and then after his first 5 minutes on the radio they tell him to tone it down, be nicer.. Simmer is loved because he delivered an Indy voice on Ryan, since then he's taken his medicine, been a good boy. Sugar coating is the best way to describe Ottawa sports media. they have to kiss the ring every time they say something.

Scanlan today wrote and article about Ottawa fans sports mentality, it begins and ends with references to Toronto, very Ottawa - what could be more Ottawa then reading an article about Ottawa sports history that sings the praises on Brendan Shanahan?

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Ian is obviously listening to what people want with regard to making the broadcast more interesting.
The lines were open for callers and it was good to hear the fan feedback. Rational and respectful opinions! Great fodder for more discussion. Should be a regular part of future programming even if it is just a few segments.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
I'm going to agree that it was refreshing. However...Simmer in a post-game said that a Rangers source said they weren't happy with Ziggy, and now he's saying he's a better player than Brassard. So the inconsistency on Simmer's part is a little jarring. However, effort counts for something and at least they are honest about where the team stands. I'll listen a lot more if they keep this up.

One is from a source, the other is his personal opinion as I read it.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Ian is obviously listening to what people want with regard to making the broadcast more interesting.
The lines were open for callers and it was good to hear the fan feedback. Rational and respectful opinions! Great fodder for more discussion. Should be a regular part of future programming even if it is just a few segments.
Exactly. Having callers helps bring some spontaneity to the show. They should be asking listeners for opinions and actually have an old fashioned conversation where ideas can be exchanged. Reading texts and email's are fine to show what some are thinking but actually having people speak their mind I find more appealing.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Exactly. Having callers helps bring some spontaneity to the show. They should be asking listeners for opinions and actually have an old fashioned conversation where ideas can be exchanged. Reading texts and email's are fine to show what some are thinking but actually having people speak their mind I find more appealing.

I love this. Fridays they should bring in Micheala for an hour and let her and Simmer go at about hockey from callers or write ins. An insider versus a true fan, just good dynamics at play here.

Then we go to Simmer down and his best eggnog story.

Oh back in the day, get this bad boy up and running, hey? Hey? Hey? Little sour cream on that bad boy, hot peppers, love me my Gabriel's pizza.

Last edited by a moderator:

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I love this. Fridays they should bring in Micheala for an hour and let her and Simmer go at about hockey from callers or write ins. An insider versus a true fan, just good dynamics at play here.

Then we go to Simmer down and his best eggnog story.

Oh back in the day, get this bad boy up and running, hey? Hey? Hey? Little sour cream on that bad boy, hot peppers, love me my Gabriel's pizza.

In fairness, that all sounds delicious.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa

I suppose it depends on the callers being intelligent, following the game, understanding Ottawa's current situation etc... Yesterday there were very few callers who I would categorize fitting into the above criteria.

I used to laugh when Jim Rome would make the statement that "more of me and less of you" makes for better radio, I have a hard time disagreeing.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I suppose it depends on the callers being intelligent, following the game, understanding Ottawa's current situation etc... Yesterday there were very few callers who I would categorize fitting into the above criteria.

I used to laugh when Jim Rome would make the statement that "more of me and less of you" makes for better radio, I have a hard time disagreeing.
Half the callers after games are drunk. Not too many calling in on day time radio.

If Jim Rome worked for TSN 1200 I would agree too. :)

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Has anyone at TSN1200 tried to start a campaign to get Sens fans to try and vote Chris Neil into the All Star game? He's not going to get any league awards (and no Don Brennan, he won't make the HHoF) and his number shouldn't be retired, but getting to an ASG would be a good way to honour him. In the past they had those Commissioner's Selections (the way Brad Marsh made it, I believe) as a way to recognise players like Neil. 1000 games as an enforcer/physical player with no suspensions is a pretty noteworthy event.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Going to be interesting tomorrow the reaction of Ottawa sports media to the Vlasic and Hoffman incidents.

You know what the reaction of the local sports media would be if we were the Leafs or Habs? Their media would go full court press on Vlasic, crying about how he was trying to take Karlsson's head off and comparing it to McSorley, giving radio interviews both locally and on San Jose radio, and everytime Hoffman gets brought up, they would yell loudly and deflect deflect deflect back to the Vlasic spear to the face. It would be unending until they got the NHL to cave and suspend Vlasic just to get the "violent NHL" out of the news cycle. If you remember the Subban-Stone incident, you can understand their tactics, and quite frankly, it works.

However, do you think guys like Mendes, Brennan, Garrioch would do that sort of thing? Nope, watching how they have acted in their careers covering the Sens, they will probably try to act neutral, unbias and politically correct, trying not to rock the boat too much. They'll say stuff like, "well, we don't have any good camera angles of the Vlasic incident, we don't know if it was an accident. Vlasic is a good guy, he probably didn't mean to do it." Then, they will have a radio interview with San Jose media guy, and let the guy completely derail the interview to only talk about how Hoffman tried to end the career of good ole former '67 Logan Couture.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The main reason the Senators get screwed in terms of the ratio for suspensions for and against has everything to do with the local sports media in Ottawa refusing to have the back of the Senators unlike every other sports journalist of other NHL teams in the NHL. No one else will do it, and the NHL won't be forced into acting unless they is a big enough outcry that it gets into the news cycle. Unfortunately, it won't happen because most of the local sports media aren't even fans of the team, and those who are, are too busy trying to cover their butts as to not burn any bridges into bigger opportunities (ie. a promotion to Toronto since all the national outlets are based there). Go on, prove me wrong Ian Mendes. Of course, I'm willing to bet you do exactly what I just outlined in the above paragraph, and then later make a smug comment during the radio show, or your twitter about those ignorant HF posters.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Going to be interesting tomorrow the reaction of Ottawa sports media to the Vlasic and Hoffman incidents.

You know what the reaction of the local sports media would be if we were the Leafs or Habs? Their media would go full court press on Vlasic, crying about how he was trying to take Karlsson's head off and comparing it to McSorley, giving radio interviews both locally and on San Jose radio, and everytime Hoffman gets brought up, they would yell loudly and deflect deflect deflect back to the Vlasic spear to the face. It would be unending until they got the NHL to cave and suspend Vlasic just to get the "violent NHL" out of the news cycle. If you remember the Subban-Stone incident, you can understand their tactics, and quite frankly, it works.

However, do you think guys like Mendes, Brennan, Garrioch would do that sort of thing? Nope, watching how they have acted in their careers covering the Sens, they will probably try to act neutral, unbias and politically correct, trying not to rock the boat too much. They'll say stuff like, "well, we don't have any good camera angles of the Vlasic incident, we don't know if it was an accident. Vlasic is a good guy, he probably didn't mean to do it." Then, they will have a radio interview with San Jose media guy, and let the guy completely derail the interview to only talk about how Hoffman tried to end the career of good ole former '67 Logan Couture.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The main reason the Senators get screwed in terms of the ratio for suspensions for and against has everything to do with the local sports media in Ottawa refusing to have the back of the Senators unlike every other sports journalist of other NHL teams in the NHL. No one else will do it, and the NHL won't be forced into acting unless they is a big enough outcry that it gets into the news cycle. Unfortunately, it won't happen because most of the local sports media aren't even fans of the team, and those who are, are too busy trying to cover their butts as to not burn any bridges into bigger opportunities (ie. a promotion to Toronto since all the national outlets are based there). Go on, prove me wrong Ian Mendes. Of course, I'm willing to bet you do exactly what I just outlined in the above paragraph, and then later make a smug comment during the radio show, or your twitter about those ignorant HF posters.

While I agree with a lot written here especially the one that nobody that covers the team is actually a fan of them/grew up cheering for them (which will hopefully change once we get some younger voices going locally) like most other franchises would have, I am not sure I would be all that thrilled listening to extreme homer's all the time.

I am certain my own bias plays into it but It seems opponents often get away with major infractions against us...the Vlasic play and Lazar taking a blatant hit to the head come immediately to mind, both should have been 5 and a game imo....yet notta!

ChelFan31

Mar 22, 2016
While I agree with a lot written here especially the one that nobody that covers the team is actually a fan of them/grew up cheering for them (which will hopefully change once we get some younger voices going locally) like most other franchises would have, I am not sure I would be all that thrilled listening to extreme homer's all the time.

I am certain my own bias plays into it but It seems opponents often get away with major infractions against us...the Vlasic play and Lazar taking a blatant hit to the head come immediately to mind, both should have been 5 and a game imo....yet notta!

We already have enough of this with Todd White, Steve Lloyds, Dean Brown, Gord Wilson, Bruce Garrioch

We need more Shawn Simpsons where they have no ties to the Senators organization and are willing to criticize them for what they are. Objectivity unlike the names above isn't an issue with Shawn Simpson. Mendes is a constant Pro as well. Him and Shawn have that ability to detach themselves and provides objective viewpoints unlike some of the other people on the station.

If they could ever get a Tony Marinaro from MTL to come work for 1200, that would be unreal. Imagine the trio of Mendes, Simpson, and Marinaro ...would be killer.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
We already have enough of this with Todd White, Steve Lloyds, Dean Brown, Gord Wilson, Bruce Garrioch

We need more Shawn Simpsons where they have no ties to the Senators organization and are willing to criticize them for what they are. Objectivity unlike the names above isn't an issue with Shawn Simpson. Mendes is a constant Pro as well. Him and Shawn have that ability to detach themselves and provides objective viewpoints unlike some of the other people on the station.

If they could ever get a Tony Marinaro from MTL to come work for 1200, that would be unreal. Imagine the trio of Mendes, Simpson, and Marinaro ...would be killer.

Oh my god, he is the worst Habs homer ever. He doesn't just drink the Hab koolaid, he literally swims in it.

He is bullish, but, that can be good. I remember 1200 had him on during the last Habs playoff matchup, and our own hosts had no backbone and didn't really stand up for our team (especially regarding the Subban/Stone incident).

ChelFan31

Mar 22, 2016
Oh my god, he is the worst Habs homer ever. He doesn't just drink the Hab koolaid, he literally swims in it.

Yeah but he also isn't afraid to call things out for what they truly are.Like him or not, the guy takes direct shots at Habs Front Office on a public platform....When was the last time you heard a Brown, Gordie Wilson, Bruce Garrioch, Lloyd, Whitey take a direct shot at Senators Management ... it never happens.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary

It has nothing to do with criticizing the organization and their moves.

It's about protecting the teams players when they get cheap shot. You know why opposition players get away with more dirty play against the Sens than any other team? Because the local sports media refuses to call out and continually bring it up and harp on it like every other local media of teams around the league. The NHL won't care unless they are embarrassed to act on it in the mainstream media that hears the story about violence in the NHL.

Have you guys listened to 1200 today? They did exactly what I said they would do in my last post. You think that would have happened in Montreal radio if we were the Habs? Nope, and that's why they draw more suspensions and get less.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
It has nothing to do with criticizing the organization and their moves.

It's about protecting the teams players when they get cheap shot. You know why opposition players get away with more dirty play against the Sens than any other team? Because the local sports media refuses to call out and continually bring it up and harp on it like every other local media of teams around the league. The NHL won't care unless they are embarrassed to act on it in the mainstream media that hears the story about violence in the NHL.

Have you guys listened to 1200 today? They did exactly what I said they would do in my last post. You think that would have happened in Montreal radio if we were the Habs? Nope, and that's why they draw more suspensions and get less.

What annoyed me about the Pierre segment this morning is that he has such a strong opinion on the Hoffman incident, but simply says "oh well I didn't see the Vlasic spear" and leaves it at that.

Just because one incident doesn't have fifteen 4K quality angles covering it doesn't make it any less relevant.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Yeah but he also isn't afraid to call things out for what they truly are.Like him or not, the guy takes direct shots at Habs Front Office on a public platform....When was the last time you heard a Brown, Gordie Wilson, Bruce Garrioch, Lloyd, Whitey take a direct shot at Senators Management ... it never happens.

Marinaro has turned. Last year around February or so, with the Habs in the depths of their bizarre polar vortex of a season, he backed of Therrien and Bergevin. He also started to pick at PK and by the time the trade went down he was basically a management mouthpiece. To this date he and Nilan will call out Subban at any opportunity.

Marinaro is a classic hack - the JT the Brick of Montreal radio. Takes lots of calls, picks the low hanging fruit off Twitter to lampoon. He even joined HF Boards to advocate for himself which is a lame move.

As for the Montreal media advocating, most of them expected no suspension for the Kruger hit on Shaw. They seemed evenly split between it should never be a penalty and it isn't a penalty but will should be/will be in the future.

Mitch Melnick in Montreal has no problems calling out coaching/management. When Bergevin does his mandatory interviews (about twice a year) he just arrogantly dismisses difficult questions. Just the other night Melnick was saying Therrien doesn't get OT - starting the 3 on 3 with Weber and Mitchell. He had a guy from 690 ask Therrien about his philosophy which led to another condescending non-answer answer.

I've said this before, but I don't get why media companies pay $$ to the teams and then *****foot around them. Especially with radio rights - they are becoming less and less valuable, and have limited appeal to non-sports stations. If a rightsholder like 1200 pisses off the Sens what do they really lose -boring player interviews and PR interviews with coaches and management who revels nothing.

When Tony Kornheiser had his show in DC he never interviewed players or coaches - because they have so little to say.

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
Has anyone at TSN1200 tried to start a campaign to get Sens fans to try and vote Chris Neil into the All Star game? He's not going to get any league awards (and no Don Brennan, he won't make the HHoF) and his number shouldn't be retired, but getting to an ASG would be a good way to honour him. In the past they had those Commissioner's Selections (the way Brad Marsh made it, I believe) as a way to recognise players like Neil. 1000 games as an enforcer/physical player with no suspensions is a pretty noteworthy event.

Man, he got the red carpet treatment last night with a video tribute, painting, silver puck/stick and a podium so he could address his family and the fans. He's been honoured.

And I'm sure the people in LA don't want to pay to see Neil play and frankly, I'd rather see someone more deserving get the nod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad