The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Weird comment to make. For that game Ottawa was clearly the better team. Yes, they hit three posts to our two, but they were by no means the best team or deserving of winning that game. Ottawa owes its win to an effective gameplan that was executed flawlessly and to the ability to also change tactics successfully after the Pittsburgh goal. Other than a bad bounce that led to Kessel's bar, we had the better of the play in the last 5 minutes and OT after Pitt tied it.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Maybe the 60 second shootout can take a break for a week or two

No.

I play along every day in the shower :laugh:

This isn't a real gripe, but Pierre said Ottawa owes its win to the posts that Pittsburgh hit. Counting up posts is something the losing team always does, but Ottawa outplayed Pittsburgh soundly 5-on-5. I got the sense he's still seeing the game through his NBC goggles.

Yep, he seems to be unconsciously biased to Pittsburgh, hanging around that team so much. To his credit, he called Ottawa a darkhorse team since the beginning of the playoffs, but calling the Game 1 win divine intervention is a bit ridiculous.

Pierre and the rest of the world seem to forget that Ottawa hit quite 2 or 3 posts too, but you know, no one on TGOR will mention that to him.

Actually, JR did mention the Sens' posts as a counterpoint, seeming a bit skeptical on Pierre's take. Credit to JR. But Pierre just brushed him off, said a Pittsburgh goal would have changed the profile of the game. Of course it would, but he didn't seem to give Ottawa any credit to be able to score.

Ya Chez, if you're gonna complain, at least complain about facts and not something you made up or chose to omit. They explicitly countered Pierre's remark with Ottawa hitting just as many, but Pierre brushed it off talking about the timing of the first post. Then the guys spent a segment discussing it afterwards as well.

Pierre segment here: http://www.tsn.ca/radio/ottawa-1200...ion-that-the-sens-play-boring-hockey-1.751864

Kessel post remark and rebuttal from Steve @ 1:15

Last edited:

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Ya Chez, if you're gonna complain, at least complain about facts and not something you made up or chose to omit. They explicitly countered Pierre's remark with Ottawa hitting just as many, but Pierre brushed it off talking about the timing of the first post. Then the guys spent a segment discussing it afterwards as well.

Alright, fair enough, Sorry, I was no longer listening, I was no longer in my car.

FYI, I didn't make it up, I "assumed" based on 10 years of listening to them talk to Pierre.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Alright, fair enough. Sorry, I was no longer listening.

FYI, I didn't make it up, I assumed based on 10 years of listening to them talk to Pierre.

Maybe you should think about easing up on the incessant criticism if you're not listening and just assuming things.

And fwiw, Steve countered Pierre's take immediately after Pierre said it.

THIS is my point. Instead of actually getting proper analysis from someone who can actually bring it, TGIR takes the lazy way out and brings on Brennan. Another "tune out" moment for their listeners.

Yep I agree with you re: Brennan.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Pierre has sentimental ties to Pitt from the Bowman era when Bowman handed him an Asst coaching position. You have to filter everything Pierre says. Constantly name drops and if you didn't know better you would actually think he has some hockey credentials based on Pierre's interpretation of his head coaching and managerial expertise.
There is a reason why he was never a head coach in the nhl since the Hartford days and also why he has never secured a GM position after numerous interviews. Pierre has found his niche for better or worse as a hockey analyst. I get the impression he is even on the outer outer edge in media circles as well. IMO... Pierre is a legend in his own mind.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
OK, gotcha. Read my post about the 7-8 hour, thats my biggest criticism.

Ya fair enough.

http://orleansonline.ca/pages/N2017051201.htm

What a fluff peace, guess Simmer changing the narrative of his past. Must be the new Simmer schitz. Or maybe the other was more bs for dramatic effect

God forbid the ORLEANS ONLINE community news site does a story on a local boy's eventual success and settling back into Ottawa after a tumultuous journey. It's not like he is going to lay out his whole past life for a part-time community writer. He discussed it before, there's no need to dive back into the painful past.

How the hell did you even find this? You must be actively looking him up.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
They explicitly countered Pierre's remark with Ottawa hitting just as many, but Pierre brushed it off talking about the timing of the first post. Then the guys spent a segment discussing it afterwards as well.

That sounds like scintillating radio, I'm sorry I missed it!

They brought on Don Brennan for his expertise opinion on game 1.

He was on CBC Radio One this morning too with Shyla. It's almost impossible to avoid that guy. He didn't say anything dumb, but didn't really add much.

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
I'm an avid Pierre Mcguire listener, been listening every day to only his portion of TGOR for the past 5 years. There have been some weird takes from him, but most of the time he's on point. Today was embarrassing though. It's one thing to say that Pittsburgh may have forced the sens to play a different game if the puck went in at the start of the game but he sounded like an absolute ********** loser fan by opening that the sens won because of few posts and divine intervention. Really? **** you pierre. He goes onto say that we would be having a different conversation if kessel didn't hit the post near the end of the game...I'm sorry, we would have the same conversation if Brasard doesn't hit the post and makes it a 2 goal game, or if ryan scores earlier instead of hitting the post...oh how about the disallowed goal where the refs 'meant' to blow the whistle earlier?

That had to be the most obnoxious take from Pierre but I'm not surprised either because he clearly loves the penguins, has for many years. To make it all about 'luck'....seriously **** you pierre mcguire I"m so freaking angry that a respected member of the media found this to be the main reason of victory. Above all else, I was so disappointed that little to no credit was given to the team. Sure he said some good things about Ottawa but why would I believe any of that since it was all just luck and penguins made it easy on the PP?

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
One thing that has characterized the Senators is that they don't get rattled or bothered when team scores first - they stick to the game plan and don't get caught up in chasing the scoreboard. After it was 1-1 they showed they can push back.

He isn't wrong that the game would have been different if the Pens scored, but it does not follow that the outcome would have been.

bornNraised Sens

Apr 8, 2014
Maybe I misunderstood, but I think Pierre was more discussing the fact that had Pittsburgh scored early in the game on their power plays, instead of hitting the post, that the game would have had a different feel. He discussed how the crowd would be more involved, and that Ottawa would not have had the momentum from killing 3 penalties early in the game. Ottawa would have also been playing from behind which could have changed parts of the game as well.

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
Maybe I misunderstood, but I think Pierre was more discussing the fact that had Pittsburgh scored early in the game on their power plays, instead of hitting the post, that the game would have had a different feel. He discussed how the crowd would be more involved, and that Ottawa would not have had the momentum from killing 3 penalties early in the game. Ottawa would have also been playing from behind which could have changed parts of the game as well.

He starts off by saying divine intervention was the reason for the sens victory and then goes on to reference specifically Phil Kessel hitting the post after the penguins tied the game. When pushed back by the hosts that the sens hit a couple posts as well, he responded by saying 'well if they score early on, then the sens have to change their gameplan and can't trap' or something to that extent.

This game of 'what-if' is asinine, particularly in this case because the sens could also reference some 'divine intervention' moments for the penguins.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
The same Don Brennan who predicted that the Penguins would sweep the Sens?

That guy?

... yeah. I'm sure the city is hanging on his every word. :laugh:

Not sure why they even bring him on as a guest. Why not bring in someone better? He's just a waste of air time.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Are you surprised that the guys on TGOR don't go above and beyond to get better guests??

Fair enough. It's the ECF however, one would expect a more knowledgeable hockey person to provide some input. Should probably lower my expectations moving forward.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Fair enough. It's the ECF however, one would expect a more knowledgeable hockey person to provide some input. Should probably lower my expectations moving forward.

Absolutely, that was my beef this morning. For a whole hour of the show they devoted two whole segments to contests instead of talking about our hockey team that just so happens to be in the Final 4 of the Stanley Cup playoffs. I could understand if the contests involved Sens tickets or Sens gear, but for us to hear from the guy who won a driving lawnmower...not exactly captivating radio, I mean, good for the guy that won, but really, do we need his reaction?

Then they bring Brennan on.....

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Absolutely, that was my beef this morning. For a whole hour of the show they devoted two whole segments to contests instead of talking about our hockey team that just so happens to be in the Final 4 of the Stanley Cup playoffs. I could understand if the contests involved Sens tickets or Sens gear, but for us to hear from the guy who won a driving lawnmower...not exactly captivating radio, I mean, good for the guy that won, but really, do we need his reaction?

Then they bring Brennan on.....

Morning shows are always like that. Most people don't want to dive into x and o's right out of the gate when they wake up. They talk Sens almost the entire time but in a more generic, playful or cheerful way.

I like that TGOR is the way it is. Maybe it's just me, but I hardly think so.

Ian and Simmer in the afternoons go more into details and get you primed with the necessary info or discussions. They seem to get the better guests and do get into more detailed discussions than TGOR.

There is only so much they can talk Sens in a 12 hour period day after day. Each show will obviously do things differently for that reason.

I get you probably can't listen to all their shows, but over the course of the day, they basically touch on every single topic they could. It would get very boring if they all had the same formula.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad