The Official Memorial Cup Thread

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Best team in the CHL has won! Quelle saison des Sea Dogs! For once, the Q is represented by a great team and has proven that we are still a great league. Jonathan Huberdeau = top 2 pick!!!!

Seanconn*

DeSerres probably should have got the MVP... but oh well.

I wonder if people will stop calling Saint John: St. John's now. or realize that it's in New Brunswick... not nova scotia or newfoundland :laugh

... probably not. :(

4thliner*

Saint John Sea Dogs 2010-11, what a phenomenal team!

77 wins in 91 games...

And Huberdeau wins MVP, well deserved! I think he just played his last junior game...

I definitely agree, I am more confident in him playing in the NHL next year than I was Skinner this time last year.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Good year for New Brunswick.

V-Reds national CIS champs.

Sea Dogs national CHL champs.

Sean Couturier near the top of this year's draft.

dream catcher

Apr 12, 2010
I definitely agree, I am more confident in him playing in the NHL next year than I was Skinner this time last year.

hmm, next year he will be 18 for the whole hockey season. seems a bit too young to play with the big boys, especially when he needs to get a bit stronger.

AugustBurnsRed*

Glad Despres/Saint Johns could win it.

I think Huberdeau cemented his spot as a top 3 pick.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crispy Crust

Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Watched a lot of Mississauga's games at the hershey this year and this team was a thrill to watch. Its tough to see them lose but they have nothing to be ashamed of. Man Huberdeau is a real special player.

NHL Fanatic

Oct 4, 2010
GTA
DeSerres probably should have got the MVP... but oh well.

I wonder if people will stop calling Saint John: St. John's now. or realize that it's in New Brunswick... not nova scotia or newfoundland :laugh

... probably not. :(

That was a really good Memorial Cup finals. Congrats to the Sea Dogs they deserved it and they were the best team all year. I too agree that DeSerres was more deserving of the MVP he stood on his head all game. It sucks to see Mississauga lose two crucial games towards the latter half of the season but overall they had a good year.

marty26

Apr 7, 2011
I also think Jurco will rise in the draft after his performance at the memorial cup.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
Tough loss for the Majors, battled all year no reason to hang their heads

As for SeaDogs, damn there good and will be exciting following them next year

Huberdeau is a real special player and deserves top 2 status

Thanks to every volunteer and member that had a hand in making this tournament something I will remember forever.

Great tournament and a great year

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
It was a fantastic tournament, and the final game was everything you could hope for in a championship game. Great goaltending (how DeSerres didn't get the MVP is beyond me - he was the difference), great defensive plays, great offensive plays, good hitting, and fast paced from start to finish.

Congrats to the Sea Dogs on a heck of a year. The Q powers that be are likely not thrilled that it was a Maritime team winning, but it's great to see.

RandR

May 15, 2011
I highly doubt the Q will care at all if it was a Maritime team winning. It is still one of their own and about half of the players are Quebecois anyway. It is only the 8th time the Q has won it, and if Saint John had been from any other league they would have been overwhelming favourites going in.

As a Gatineau Olympiques fan, this looks good on them too. In a 6-game Q final with Saint John, they won 2, lost 2 in double-overtime and only lost 2 in regulation. Actually beat them twice on Saint John home ice in regulation, something nobody did in the regular season. Saint John lost only 1 other player game that mattered.

I feel real fortunate to have seen this Saint John team live a few times. Huberdeau has potential to be a star in the NHL and at least a couple others amongst Despres, Gelinas, Galiev, Beaulieau, Phillips and Jurco will likely make it to the NHL too.

DeSerres should have been MVP though. Aside from him, after Galiev and Jurco starred in the first 2 games of this tournament, this game I thought the stars were Phillips and Beaulieau. Huberdeau was never the first star in any game, but the guy is a treat to watch and he made the big plays in the biggest games.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
congrats to Saint John, really happy a team of the Maritimes finally won the Memorial Cup. Kudos to all 3 other teams, I thought it was a very entertaining tournament with 4 very good teams.

Also glad Huberdeau had his coming out party there, great player who just needed some exposure.

GM17*

Phillips played awesome, first healthy game since the Q playoffs probably.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad