The Official Memorial Cup Thread

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Just making sure, since I can't find anything definitive on this...is DeSerres the property of any NHL team?

I realize he's a non-prospect at this point, but he seems like a decent pickup for teams lacking goaltending depth.
He was drafted by the Flyers but wasn't signed, so he's not property of any NHL team.

Maybe he'll get a look from an NHL organization but I assume if he wants to play professionally, he'll most likely sign with an ECHL or maybe even a CHL team.

nowayguy

Maybe Next Year
May 31, 2009
Majors seem content to give this game away. Pelly is going to get an earful from Cameron.

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
strong with the crosscheck? yeah ok. :help:

Just because the crowd boos and the opposition leads 2-0, doesn`t mean the refs are calling bad penalties. The Majors would benefit from their coach telling them to calm down right now..

Watch again. Smith-Pelley knocked him over with his left hand.

Mississauga is taking too many penalties, but the refs are getting too involved in this game once again.

Vikke

ViktorAllvin twitter
Feb 22, 2004
Västervik, Sweden
twitter.com
The Sea Dogs are stacked with talent. What are the chances they'll be back next season? With the amount of 18 year olds, you gotta figure they'll be a true contender in a year, too.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
He was drafted by the Flyers but wasn't signed, so he's not property of any NHL team.

Maybe he'll get a look from an NHL organization but I assume if he wants to play professionally, he'll most likely sign with an ECHL or maybe even a CHL team.

Thanks. That's what I figured, and it seems kinda odd he wasn't drafted upon re-entry. My impression (I don't know much about him as a prospect) was that the Flyers didn't sign him to an ELC mainly because they've stumbled upon quite a bit of goaltending depth.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
The Sea Dogs are stacked with talent. What are the chances they'll be back next season? With the amount of 18 year olds, you gotta figure they'll be a true contender in a year, too.

Galiev and MacAulay will likely be back
I can't imagine Huberdeau, Phillips, Jurco, Oke, Tesink...etc. making the jump. Maybe Beaulieu, but only if the team that drafts him really has need.
Corbeil will likely be back

Despres, Kirkpatrick, Anthony, Gelinas, DeSerres will all be moving on.

Jayevs

Formerly avsman
Jul 29, 2010
i dont get to watch the seadogs all that often, and ive heard people say that phillips rides huberdeaus coatail, but from what ive seen this game im super impressed hes been playing a kesler-esque game in my opinion

QcS

Sep 13, 2003
au Québec!
Visit site
Watch again. Smith-Pelley knocked him over with his left hand.

Mississauga is taking too many penalties, but the refs are getting too involved in this game once again.

I watched it again and it was a crosscheck penalty.

As for the refs being too involved, they wouldn`t need to be if the Majors were more disciplined. I didn`t grow up ever being a Don Cherry disciple and his Pejorative Slured thinking that refs should ''let them play''. That`s anti-hockey. Refs need to call penalties when they happen.

Mississauga are still in the game. But they need discipline.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Thanks. That's what I figured, and it seems kinda odd he wasn't drafted upon re-entry. My impression (I don't know much about him as a prospect) was that the Flyers didn't sign him to an ELC mainly because they've stumbled upon quite a bit of goaltending depth.
I don't think I'm very good at scouting goalies, but he just seems a little unorthodox and not very technically sound.
His legs look to be his biggest asset as they seem to be pretty long for a 6'1'' goalie and they are quick.

I haven't really followed him and don't know much about him as a prospect either, but Flyers fans apparently didn't even consider him a legitimate prospect.

Vikke

ViktorAllvin twitter
Feb 22, 2004
Västervik, Sweden
twitter.com
I don't think I'm very good at scouting goalies, but he just seems a little unorthodox and not very technically sound.
His legs look to be his biggest asset as they seem to be pretty long for a 6'1'' goalie and they are quick.

I haven't really followed him and don't know much about him as a prospect either, but Flyers fans apparently didn't even consider him a legitimate prospect.

That's correct. I don't think anyone actually believes he'll come close to being an NHL goalie. He might end up a decent AHL starter, perhaps.

Roulin

Mar 21, 2007
Montreal
Doesn't seem like the Huberdeau-Phillips line is getting all that much ice time... I'm only getting audio, so please correct me if I'm wrong. I had been assuming they get Kane-Gagner London Knights type ice time. Is anyone familiar with what the usual distribution has been for the Sea Dogs?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Is De Serres the first goalie ever to play for two different teams for two different leagues in the Cup Final?

Danish Pastry

this is dream!
Jan 3, 2009
Copenhagen
are you saying you`d prefer if the ref didn`t call that?

it was more its annoying watching powerplay hockey in big games... have no problem with the calls players need to step up and play hockey not this crap... refs have to call what they see i have no problem with that my problem is with the players...

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00