The official Loui Eriksson thread (aka the official Tyler Seguin thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
I've voiced this concern multiple times as well. Too many similar players on this line for my liking.

How about too many similar players in the lineup? A team of all two way player is not enough. Look at game six against Chicago, eventually the goal scorers came through for the Hawks.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
How about too many similar players in the lineup? A team of all two way player is not enough. Look at game six against Chicago, eventually the goal scorers came through for the Hawks.

Amen to that. You need a mix of all types and I think the problem is that the front office and coach have fallen in love with having too many of the same type of players to a fault. That's one of the big reasons I was unhappy with the Seguin trade when it happened. Not that I disliked Eriksson, but that his skill set was redundant to what they had in spades already. If they were going to flip Seguin, I wanted to get back an elite type of offensive player (or prospect with that skill set) instead.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
Amen to that. You need a mix of all types and I think the problem is that the front office and coach have fallen in love with having too many of the same type of players to a fault. That's one of the big reasons I was unhappy with the Seguin trade when it happened. Not that I disliked Eriksson, but that his skill set was redundant to what they had in spades already. If they were going to flip Seguin, I wanted to get back an elite type of offensive player (or prospect with that skill set) instead.

Eh, in the end it was really the dissimilar guys who didn't produce last year in the postseason, whether they be 1 way offensive players (Seguin, Jagr) or primarily defensive (Kelly, Peverley)

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Eh, in the end it was really the dissimilar guys who didn't produce last year in the postseason, whether they be 1 way offensive players (Seguin, Jagr) or primarily defensive (Kelly, Peverley)

In fairness, you could have put Gretzky in his prime with Peverley and Chris "The Black Hole of Offense" Kelly, and he wouldn't have produced either...:laugh:

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

Agreed. So many "elite" offensive talents become neutralized in the playoffs when physical play ramps up and teams focus more on matchups. Chicago's talent eventually won out because a few of their high-end players, like Kane, are just that good. Seguin wasn't, isn't, and may never be that good, so it's not like losing him is likely to kill us.

We're bemoaning the loss of Seguin like we lost a gamebreaker. We didn't. We lost a guy who was supposed to be a gamebreaker but wasn't.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
Agreed. So many "elite" offensive talents become neutralized in the playoffs when physical play ramps up and teams focus more on matchups. Chicago's talent eventually won out because a few of their high-end players, like Kane, are just that good. Seguin wasn't, isn't, and may never be that good, so it's not like losing him is likely to kill us.

We're bemoaning the loss of Seguin like we lost a gamebreaker. We didn't. We lost a guy who was supposed to be a gamebreaker but wasn't.

I think for me it's a matter of lengthening your scoring. I'll take 9 two way threats in the playoffs every day of the week. The issue was last year and is this year that we're not rolling out 9 two way threats. Jagr needed to be hidden. Two of our third liners signed extensions and immediately became incompetent at the offensive end of the ice. What happens in the playoffs is that you need the type of game that you can be rolled out there in any situation, and you need to be able to produce against mainly top 4 defenders. There are no throwaway games against Winnipeg where you get to abuse the Mark Stuarts of the world because the coach is managing his top pairing.

What happened in the Chicago series was two fold, our top offensive guys like Bergeron and Horton got hurt, and our top D pairing never looked the same after 3OT game 1. It was less the Blackhawks stepping up and more the Bruins stepping down.

member 96824

Seguin not so hot lately eh.

That'll put points on our board:help:

Loui-Soderberg-Smith. That's the line I want to see, they mesh so well on the PP...give them a run at even strength. It's december, we're playoff bound barring a major injury to Tuukka. Might as well try some combos

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
Forwards please shoot more! Stop trying to make the perfect play.
I would love to see this lineup atleast once this year
17-46-21
18-37-12
63-51-34
20-23-11
Marchand was god awful at times last night. Subban made him look like a little *****, which he is.
Switch Marchand and Smith when either Smith cools down or Marchand gets back to reality.

As far as Eriksson is concered, he looked soft against the Habs. Man that was hard to watch

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
That'll put points on our board:help:

Loui-Soderberg-Smith. That's the line I want to see, they mesh so well on the PP...give them a run at even strength. It's december, we're playoff bound barring a major injury to Tuukka. Might as well try some combos

Who plays RW2? Kelly? Yuck.

Honestly, I think we're overcomplicating things. Get the guy producing like a 4th liner the past two seasons off the 3rd line. Go from there.

member 96824

Who plays RW2? Kelly? Yuck.

Honestly, I think we're overcomplicating things. Get the guy producing like a 4th liner the past two seasons off the 3rd line. Go from there.

Oh yeah...that's where the Cammallari trade comes in :sarcasm:

Honestly...with the way Bergeron and Marchand have been playing, put Kelly on their line, call it the third line shutdown group.

or trade for Cammallari

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Oh yeah...that's where the Cammallari trade comes in :sarcasm:

Honestly...with the way Bergeron and Marchand have been playing, put Kelly on their line, call it the third line shutdown group.

or trade for Cammallari

Feels like overreaching to me.

This is still the best team in the East. You can't convince me otherwise. The regular season is a warmup for these guys whether we like that as fans or not. If you want CJ to mix up the lines a bit more then I guess that's fine, but I can't expend much energy worrying about the slow starts on some of our offensive players when we're still at the top of the league in PPG. I'd wait another 1-2 months before worrying about moving guys out or in.

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
In that one game, sure. Would you rather be disappointed in December and wonder what he'll bring when it matters, or KNOW that he'll bring nothing when it matters?

I like that mentality. But one was 20 yrs old and quite immature but had some years to mature and learn, despite our impatience. One is 28 so what we see is what we get, for the most part.
I'm in no way writing Eriksson off, one game isn't everything, but his game is coming along at a snails pace(skates like one too!:sarcasm:). He plays a different style but he was pretty soft on the puck last night. When the going gets tough lets hope he improves.
Man I hope Joe Morrow is good

Last edited:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Because Seguin and Jagr (whom I would argue about being offensively elite) had a terrible playoffs, that means the team should refrain from trying to have any skill players? Last time I checked, Patrick Kane is offensively elite and he had no problem putting up points in the playoffs.

member 96824

Feels like overreaching to me.

This is still the best team in the East. You can't convince me otherwise. The regular season is a warmup for these guys whether we like that as fans or not. If you want CJ to mix up the lines a bit more then I guess that's fine, but I can't expend much energy worrying about the slow starts on some of our offensive players when we're still at the top of the league in PPG. I'd wait another 1-2 months before worrying about moving guys out or in.

You'd wait another 1 or 2 months to make a lineup change?

Claude?

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Lucic-Krejci-Iginla
Marchand-Bergeron-Smith
Eriksson-Kelly-Soderberg
Paille-Campbell-Thornton

Give Eriksson a Swede and his natural position. I know there might be issues of Soderberg playing on the right side, but it's something worth trying for a few games. I want Eriksson to be given everything he needs to get going, because it's really important that he does.

I don't like the idea of splitting the Krejci line up. I'm not against trying something different for a game or something to ignite a spark, but they've already proven this year that they can be dominant. It should definitely be a goal to have them play together for the remainder of the season.

member 96824

Because Seguin and Jagr (whom I would argue about being offensively elite) had a terrible playoffs, that means the team should refrain from trying to have any skill players? Last time I checked, Patrick Kane is offensively elite and he had no problem putting up points in the playoffs.

How quickly we forget that arguably the most offensive first skilled guys we've had in years(Savard) and a soft offense only winger(Kessel) were among the leaders in getting the Bruins relevant again.

Savard, Kessel, Bergeron, Krejci, Lucic, Chara, Thomas.

I would say that is the list that lead the Bruins back to a spot they wanted to be, and not an afterthought for the city of Boston. 3 of those guys were offense only guys at the time. One was pretty much dead as far as hockey goes, one a goalie.

But yeah...skilled guys, YUCK.

Plus, Seguin could very well be a gamebreaker in his career...I don't expect him to shoot 1% in the playoffs for the rest of his career.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
Lucic-Krejci-Iginla
Marchand-Bergeron-Smith
Eriksson-Kelly-Soderberg
Paille-Campbell-Thornton

Give Eriksson a Swede and his natural position. I know there might be issues of Soderberg playing on the right side, but it's something worth trying for a few games. I want Eriksson to be given everything he needs to get going, because it's really important that he does.

I don't like the idea of splitting the Krejci line up. I'm not against trying something different for a game or something to ignite a spark, but they've already proven this year that they can be dominant. It should definitely be a goal to have them play together for the remainder of the season.

So you're giving him Chris Kelly?

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

But I didn't say that. In fact, I noted that Chicago's elite talents stepped up. What I said was Seguin isn't one of those guys. Or at least, he hasn't been, and Boston's desire to move him shows they probably feel he won't be.

I'd love to add another of those players. I'd argue we have one in Krejci, who is a playoff stud and damn close to an elite skill player, and I'd love to find another one like him. As you said (and I'll paraphrase so feel free to correct me), you didn't dislike the trade as much as you disliked the return. You wanted an elite offensive talent, and I'm going to assume you wanted one without character issues and one who could help in the playoffs. I'd argue it's hard to get one back when you didn't offer one up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad