The official Loui Eriksson thread (aka the official Tyler Seguin thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
Seguin is a better partier then Eriksson AIAEC

seguin-marchand-foxwoods-4.png

Hall-Gaglardi_0318bus007.JPG

Ya plus Loui is clearly in the process of a dive. So soft.

Last edited:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Currently lirling. Well done.

I think a great Behind the B episode would be all the Bruins front office walking up to a shoe box and dropping paper in it. After all are done Chiarelli picks it up leaves the room. He comes back 5 minutes later and announces we have lost the Seguin trade.

Killer B

Honey Badger don't care
Aug 28, 2008
Wisconsin
Eriksson has played well below his normal level this season. I don't know how that's even debatable. Seguin was moved because the team no longer felt he was going to continue to develop here. Nothing more needs to be said as to why the trade happened, IMO.

What is still debatable is whether they got enough in return for him, and if the skill set Eriksson brings is too similar to a number of players they already had on the roster. That's the one thing people don't want to talk about. How many good but not great, two way players does one team really need? Can a team with no dynamic scorers actually succeed? If they had an elite offensive player last year in the finals, would that have made a difference? Seems to me, that having to rely on the defense to score goals finally caught up to them, right when it mattered most. Watching them this year, it appears they're right back doing it again.

Some very good points LSC...

The "scoring by committee" worked pretty well on '11 and we're gonna have to hope it works again, because it doesn't appear that Chia, Cam & Claude (C3) will change what has been working for them.

Sea Bass Neely

Jun 6, 2013
Rhode Island
Agreed on both counts. Part of me wouldn't mind seeing Marchand down on the 3rd line for a bit and putting Soderberg with Eriksson, see if the 2 countrymen can get a bit of chemistry going together. That line would pretty much instantly be the highest hockey-IQ line in the league.

I thought about that too... Brad seemed to be turning a corner against Tampa but he had a terrible game against the Blue Jackets. I still don't know what to make of him this season.

Soderberg strikes me as the kind of player who, if given a reasonable opportunity to prove it, could demonstrate that he is a 2nd line (or maybe even 1st line) talent but only if he is playing with 1st and/or 2nd liners.

Carl's physical play is not overwhelming but has been something of a treat, he is definitely not soft. And so far he has shown he is one of the best passers on the team, some of his passes are so creative that his teammates aren't even ready to field them.

At some point, i would also like to see Soderberg get a little burn with the 2nd line and let Marchand play with Smith and Kelly (or Spooner?).

You never know, sometimes fellow countrymen can find chemistry and sometimes that has to do with language barriers too. I agree with those who think Eriksson would be a better fit playing with Krejci and Lucic... but that KIL line is just too hot to break up right now.

If they cool down, then putting Iggy with Bergy and Loui with Krejci would give the B's an interesting look worth experimenting with. But since there is no way Julien does (or should) break up that KIL line, the Soderberg-to-2nd line is a way to shake things up a bit without breaking up our best line.

I feel like Kelly is actually holding both Soderberg and Smith back, and i also agree with many who consider Marchy-Bergy-Loui to be somewhat redundant and not the best matching of skill-sets.

I could be wrong, but i see Soderberg playing at an even higher level than he is now if he's put alongside Bergeron. The Yeti would bring more size and physicality to that 2nd line... and he and Loui/Bergy might bounce off each other well.

For a guy who is half-blind in one eye, the Yeti is showing himself to be one of the best passers on the team. Great vision... great forechecking too.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I love his game. Strong and smart with the puck. Both he and Soderberg will be a huge source of stability and strength that the second and third lines have been lacking for, just about, ever.

I think Soderberg is going to have a great second half.He seems so close to breaking out.I wonder if fatigue will be a concern with him in the second half?I assume he isn't used to playing as many games in Sweden as he will this year.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Some very good points LSC...

The "scoring by committee" worked pretty well on '11 and we're gonna have to hope it works again, because it doesn't appear that Chia, Cam & Claude (C3) will change what has been working for them.

It did work in 11, and that may be part of the reluctance to have a guy like that (IE a one dimensional elite offensive type of player) here, whether it's a positive or negative. Was the 11 win a fluke, or is the FO on to something here? You can point to the return to the finals last years as proof they're on to something, but they came up short against a team that had a mix of good two way players and elite scoring. To me, that means the opposite can be argued, if you chose to do so.

Either way, is the team as it's constituted today better suited to win it all? I personally don't know. I think there are a lot of big questions about the makeup of the team and of the new guys on the roster this year. If they had rolled into this season with the same guys, I think I'd feel better because I had a track record to refer back to. With Loui, Smith, Iginla, Soda, and the newly injected youth on the back end, it's hard to gauge.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
It did work in 11, and that may be part of the reluctance to have a guy like that (IE a one dimensional elite offensive type of player) here, whether it's a positive or negative. Was the 11 win a fluke, or is the FO on to something here? You can point to the return to the finals last years as proof they're on to something, but they came up short against a team that had a mix of good two way players and elite scoring. To me, that means the opposite can be argued, if you chose to do so.

Either way, is the team as it's constituted today better suited to win it all? I personally don't know. I think there are a lot of big questions about the makeup of the team and of the new guys on the roster this year. If they had rolled into this season with the same guys, I think I'd feel better because I had a track record to refer back to. With Loui, Smith, Iginla, Soda, and the newly injected youth on the back end, it's hard to gauge.

The biggest question mark for me is whether Iginla can replicate Horton's contributions, I love the way he is playing now but I loved what Horton brought in the playoffs. I am not too concerned about Loui as long as Bergeron and Marchand are on their games and surely Soda is going to bring more to the table than Peverley did.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
The biggest question mark for me is whether Iginla can replicate Horton's contributions, I love the way he is playing now but I loved what Horton brought in the playoffs. I am not too concerned about Loui as long as Bergeron and Marchand are on their games and surely Soda is going to bring more to the table than Peverley did.

Yep. You just don't know. Horton come playoffs was a beast. Hard to expect that from anyone that replaces him. Especially a 35 year old guy on the backside of his career. In terms of the other stuff, you hope and expect, but again, you don't know.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
"I want to create this Eriksson thread and not have anyone talk about Seguin in it so I'm going to put 'official Seguin thread' in the title... and then complain if anyone mentions Seguin in it"

logic.png

as if there was a real chance that a Loui thread wouldn't end up being about Seguin...

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Yep. You just don't know. Horton come playoffs was a beast. Hard to expect that from anyone that replaces him. Especially a 35 year old guy on the backside of his career. In terms of the other stuff, you hope and expect, but again, you don't know.

Iginla should be able to replicate Horton and Nate did zip on the Chicago series- as for Eriksson against Seguin, that 1 goal in 24 games might be tough. As long as Loui doesn't pull a Seguin-like matador job in game 6 on that PP that led to a Hawks shortie and life I'm fine with 1 goal in two dozen games. I don't expect the Calgary Tomato Cans on the playoff schedule.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Iginla should be able to replicate Horton and Nate did zip on the Chicago series- as for Eriksson against Seguin, that 1 goal in 24 games might be tough. As long as Loui doesn't pull a Seguin-like matador job in game 6 on that PP that led to a Hawks shortie and life I'm fine with 1 goal in two dozen games. I don't expect the Calgary Tomato Cans on the playoff schedule.

Sure, but you're talking about what you're hoping for. You can't definitively say because you don't know.

More importantly, weren't all the Loui fans here saying how he was better than Seguin at this point? So saying all he has to do now is be on par with a guy who underachieved in the playoffs is suddenly acceptable? I don't want people to keep the status quo because that wasn't good enough to win last year. I want improvement.

I also don't understand how this concept that you can't win with Seguin came about. Last time I checked, his name is on the cup, no? So clearly they were able to be successful with him at one point.

Sea Bass Neely

Jun 6, 2013
Rhode Island

I think there is every reason for optimism. Lucic looks like a man possessed playing opposite Iggy... they dominate puck possession as well as any line in the league.

At this point, the KIL line is looking superior (as a unit) than the LKH line was last year... and every bit as good as when LKH was at its peak. I really do think part of why Horton was so effective in the playoffs is because of the number of regular season games that he appeared to have "taken off"... Horty mailed it in for some regular season games.

That's just a theory of why he seemed so much more effective in the playoffs. I guess the same could be said for his linemates, but to a lesser extent IMO. Horton coasted for long stretches during regular season games.

Iggy is visibly putting in so much effort, which is great (and is yielding results), but i DO also wonder if he may be gassed come playoff time. Let's hope he is doing everything he can to stay well-conditioned.

After all, Big Z is carrying around a much bigger body, plays more minutes, and is even older than Iggy is. But come playoff time he has plenty in the tank, you can't just go by age... although age is always a factor.

Ultimately i think Iggy can smell a deep Cup run on this quality B's squad and having been stuck in Calgary all those years, this is the kind of opportunity he has waited for his ENTIRE CAREER... he is now within reach of a possible Stanley Cup (the ultimate goal). That will keep him motivated and focused IMO, or at least i hope.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
Who the hell does Loui Eriksson think he is? I mean it looks like a grown man - and an NHL player to boot - is scoring goals against a bunch of kids. Trade the bum!

Isn't that what Seguin did last night that has everyone crowing about him?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I think there is every reason for optimism. Lucic looks like a man possessed playing opposite Iggy... they dominate puck possession as well as any line in the league.

At this point, the KIL line is looking superior (as a unit) than the LKH line was last year... and every bit as good as when LKH was at its peak. I really do think part of why Horton was so effective in the playoffs is because of the number of regular season games that he appeared to have "taken off"... Horty mailed it in for some regular season games.

That's just a theory of why he seemed so much more effective in the playoffs. I guess the same could be said for his linemates, but to a lesser extent IMO. Horton coasted for long stretches during regular season games.

Iggy is visibly putting in so much effort, which is great (and is yielding results), but i DO also wonder if he may be gassed come playoff time. Let's hope he is doing everything he can to stay well-conditioned.

After all, Big Z is carrying around a much bigger body, plays more minutes, and is even older than Iggy is. But come playoff time he has plenty in the tank, you can't just go by age... although age is always a factor.

Ultimately i think Iggy can smell a deep Cup run on this quality B's squad and having been stuck in Calgary all those years, this is the kind of opportunity he has waited for his ENTIRE CAREER... he is now within reach of a possible Stanley Cup (the ultimate goal). That will keep him motivated and focused IMO, or at least i hope.

You're absolutely correct. The team is in a great spot, and has a solid core of key players. Lots to be excited about right now. How it all shakes out will be interesting to watch. If they show a continued lack of scoring, does PC go out and get someone at the deadline? Do they stand pat and coast through the regular season and then flip the switch in the playoffs? Can Iginla keep up his pace through the full year and through the playoffs? Can PB, BM, and LE get it together and gel? There have been a lot of growing pains early, and they're still in great position. If they figure it all out, they could be a very scary team to play come playoffs.

Killer B

Honey Badger don't care
Aug 28, 2008
Wisconsin

One things for sure, we have a pretty darn good record and I think the B's have only played one good complete 60 minute game (down in Tampa).

It stands to reason that as the 2nd, 3rd and 4th lines really start clicking (and scoring with some consistency), things can only get better, right? I certainly hope that's the case...

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Oh no. My life is over. How will I ever find the will to go on if you don't want to discuss things with me...:laugh:

For the record, my general rule of thumb is that if I'm arguing on the same side of a point as you, I must be either drunk, or have fallen and hit my head. :laugh:

Eriksson has played well below his normal level this season. I don't know how that's even debatable. Seguin was moved because the team no longer felt he was going to continue to develop here. Nothing more needs to be said as to why the trade happened, IMO.

What is still debatable is whether they got enough in return for him, and if the skill set Eriksson brings is too similar to a number of players they already had on the roster. That's the one thing people don't want to talk about. How many good but not great, two way players does one team really need? Can a team with no dynamic scorers actually succeed? If they had an elite offensive player last year in the finals, would that have made a difference? Seems to me, that having to rely on the defense to score goals finally caught up to them, right when it mattered most. Watching them this year, it appears they're right back doing it again.

2nd best record in the East with the best goal differential, so really what's wrong with how they're winning games this year? Marchand-Bergeron-Eriksson will only get better offensively too, unless all three at ages of 25, 28 and 28 are just gonna drastically fall off from their career averages. Once they get going the Bruins will be the best defensive team in the League with a pretty strong offense (even without them producing, Boston is 11th in goals per game).

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
Like Segs as a player and watch some Dallas games to see how he's doing, was easy to predict he and Jamie Benn would go on a tear.

I think Eriksson still has a lot to show us however and looking forward to him getting rolling as the season goes on.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
You're absolutely correct. The team is in a great spot, and has a solid core of key players. Lots to be excited about right now. How it all shakes out will be interesting to watch. If they show a continued lack of scoring, does PC go out and get someone at the deadline? Do they stand pat and coast through the regular season and then flip the switch in the playoffs? Can Iginla keep up his pace through the full year and through the playoffs? Can PB, BM, and LE get it together and gel? There have been a lot of growing pains early, and they're still in great position. If they figure it all out, they could be a very scary team to play come playoffs.

All they need in the playoffs is health, they have that and there's no reason they don't go deep.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

You seem to be the HF Seguin Guardian-at-the-Gate so I can tell you I would love to see him get 50. It would be so entertaining. It's just to bad guys like Thornton and Seguin leave and immediately turn or appear to turn in epic performances. One thing I will guarantee though is if Seguin goes for 50 he will tweet or say something somewhere about Boston that will make him if not public enemy number 1 at Bruins games in the conversation. The rejection by Chia, Cam, and Benning with scathing comments from Behind the B, and the crowd jeers will bring his emotions to the surface and he will say or write something not well received. Kessel shut his mouth overall, Seguin I don't see doing this especially if he is with his Chicago hat wearing buddy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad