The official Loui Eriksson thread (aka the official Tyler Seguin thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orrthebest

May 25, 2012
Additionally, they are tops in the league at 1.72GA/G. Maybe they sacrificed some offense for better team defense?

Not sure how we sacrificed offense when our goals per game has gone from 2.65 to 2.78 this year. Both our offense and defense are better.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Not sure how they improved this with Eriksson. The Bergeron line has always been this team strongest, rarely being on the ice for a goal regardless of who's on it. The Krejci line has spent far less time in their own zone this year and have a solid plus/minus this year... I don't think Iggy is the difference there.

So are you saying that Loui is not a better defensive player than Seguin? Not sure where you are going with this?

Just because the B's second line was one of the best in the league defensively with Seguin on it, doesn't mean they can't be better in that category with LE. Pure speculation, but one could even go so far as to say that if the three current 2nd liners start "clicking", that line could be better offensively than with Seguin because Marchand and Bergy could devote more time to transition and less worrying about covering for Seguin defensively?

Sea Bass Neely

Jun 6, 2013
Rhode Island
Do you even notice Eriksson on the ice?..He seems softer then baby poop, just my $.02

If Eriksson is "baby poop" than Seguin is choleric diarrhea.

Notice Eriksson is starting to make things happen by jousting with opposing D-men in the dirty areas that Seguin rarely bothers venturing to. And while Loui's goal was good, it was NOT a kicking motion, it is obvious that he swung his skate at that angle on purpose... and the result??

Bruins on the board. Call it luck all you want, smart players make their own luck.

Even if Loui never even used his stick to shoot the puck, i consider Eriksson's goal to be less "lucky" than Thornton's awful-angle shot that only found the back of the net complements of a fluke deflection off an opponent's stick.

And even if he doesn't throw his body around like a Lucic, he has an incredible knack for stealing the puck right off opponents' sticks without having to use his body. Very good defensively with his stick, and can win puck battles.

Oh, and since he's returned from that concussion (during which the Bruins had a losing record), the B's PK has been the best in the league with 26 straight kills.

But i guess haters gonna hate :shakehead

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Do you even notice Eriksson on the ice?..He seems softer then baby poop, just my $.02

So someone who is constantly along the boards and always in front of the net is baby poop.

I don't even want to know what that makes everyone else on the team besides Lucic, Chara, and Iginla...

Spoked-B

Nov 3, 2005
Southern NH
Not sure how they improved this with Eriksson. The Bergeron line has always been this team strongest, rarely being on the ice for a goal regardless of who's on it. The Krejci line has spent far less time in their own zone this year and have a solid plus/minus this year... I don't think Iggy is the difference there.

Iggy has absolutely been the difference on that line. He's worlds better defensively than Horton, and his consistent and second to none. He may not have the speed he used to, he's still the fastest guy on his line and the hardest worker. That's something you couldn't say about Horton (until the playoffs, where his effort was much more consistent). As for Eriksson, I truly believe when they've gotten more used to each other, that line will be as dominant as they were w/ Seguin. You can see how Bergeron/Marchand still favor getting the puck to each other, rather than getting Loui involved, and he's content as just getting them the puck and trying to stay out of the way. When they figure out that he's got the best shot on the line, and he's willing to be selfish about taking it, I think you'll see them be as dominant as our first line has been.

Not sure how we sacrificed offense when our goals per game has gone from 2.65 to 2.78 this year. Both our offense and defense are better.

True. I was going more by the idea that Seguin=offense, Loui=defense because it seems the pro-Segs crowd think his high-end offense is sorely missed. Last year he had a down year, and we were at 2.65, while the year before, his "breakout" year (for us), our GF/G was 3.17. So even if you subscribe to the idea that he's only getting better offensively, and so would our offense, Loui/Smith has made up for it by contributing to a team defense that's letting in less than 2 a game!

So are you saying that Loui is not a better defensive player than Seguin? Not sure where you are going with this?

Just because the B's second line was one of the best in the league defensively with Seguin on it, doesn't mean they can't be better in that category with LE. Pure speculation, but one could even go so far as to say that if the three current 2nd liners start "clicking", that line could be better offensively than with Seguin because Marchand and Bergy could devote more time to transition and less worrying about covering for Seguin defensively?

And everyone seems to be forgetting Smith, who is a "slight" :)sarcasm:) improvement to Peverly's/C Bourque's/Caron's contribution to the 3rd line last year.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Seguin is what the Bruins claimed they wanted for years, elite high offensive talent. They get their nose in a twist because he is a kid and then flip him. And this salary cap stuff is BS. 1.25 difference per year is why they "had" to move him. Nonsense. Seguin rubbing the Bruins nose in it from afar. But Eriksson is a two way guy right?

Wait, you believe the Bruins front office traded Seguin because "they get their nose in a twist because he is a kid"? Really?

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
So someone who is constantly along the boards and always in front of the net is baby poop.

I don't even want to know what that makes everyone else on the team besides Lucic, Chara, and Iginla...

Loui does so many little things that the casual viewer won't pick up on. Even that play last night to adjust his body while being locked up to get his skate on the puck was a play that not every guy has the awareness to pull off. To say pfft went off his skate is selling it way short.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Team plus/minus of +18, tied for third with San Jose, behind only Anaheim (+24) and Colorado (+19). Next best East team is Tampa, at +9.

The Bruins would rather play solid defense with balanced scoring, but crashing the net and getting tips and rebounds isn't as thrilling as end-to-end rushes and constant odd-man breaks.

False equivalency. You can be sound defensively and still have elite offensive talent.

The Bruins had solid defense and balanced scoring the last three years with Seguin.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
False equivalency. You can be sound defensively and still have elite offensive talent.

The Bruins had solid defense and balanced scoring the last three years with Seguin.

22-23 months ago(ish) the Bruins were on pace to set a new goal differential record beating the Red wings of 95-96(+144.) So I agree.

Sea Bass Neely

Jun 6, 2013
Rhode Island

I think the larger point is that AS A TEAM, the Bruins are even better defensively AND offensively (statistically) than they were last year.

I am/was on record as thinking Chia pulled the trigger too soon on Seguin, but what is done is done. I am rooting for the new guys... and yes i say guys because we got more than just Eriksson in the deal.

A lot of variables go into trades like this. If the B's win the Cup in the next couple years then the trade worked out for us... and it can also work for Dallas too.

Those are the best kinds of trades, both teams get what they're looking for. Besides, Loui is just warming up and getting acclimated to the system. Not to mention he just came off a concussion.

It's worth mentioning that the B's are a top team right now at 12-5-1, and had a losing record with Eriksson out of the lineup. Coincidence?? Maybe... but probably not.

Not to mention since the NJ debacle, the PK has been lights out since Loui returned. 26 straight... most of which featured Loui on the top unit. Pretty impressive.

The best part is, we've yet to see the best from the main return piece in the trade. Time will tell, but he's got more up his sleeve. That goal he scored against Columbus was no fluke, that was great awareness and body positioning at work.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Where's that lack of scoring coming from? As of now, only two teams in the playoffs in the East score more than the Bruins (TB and Wsh). The Bruins are also 11th in the NHL with 7 of the 10 teams ahead of them from the West.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm?fetchKey=20142ALLSAAAll&sort=avgGoalsPerGame&viewName=summary

If they have a lack of scoring, than 19 other have too... Top-10 in scoring ain't enough for you? What wouldn't be considered a lack of scoring to you? Top-5? Top-3? 1st?

From the offense. I've been consistent in this thread and the last one saying I don't think you can continually count on your defense to score at the pace they've been scoring. At some point, you need your offense (other than the first line) to actually contribute on a regular basis.

Central Scrutinizer

Lord of Song
Jan 6, 2010
montreal
Every time i see Smith skate with the puck i think of Seguin. They have a very similar skating style.

Looking at Fraser's stats and he has 37(77)& 33(61gp)goal seasons in the AHL, this year he has 11in 13games. Maybe more to this trade than just Eriksson and Smith( who looks like he will be a solid top 6 fwd)

mattbnh

Apr 26, 2004
New Hampster
Loui does so many little things that the casual viewer won't pick up on. Even that play last night to adjust his body while being locked up to get his skate on the puck was a play that not every guy has the awareness to pull off. To say pfft went off his skate is selling it way short.

And that move is kinda the least of it. Loui is a kind of 'sneaky pete' in a good way - not splashly but does a lot of 'little' things that make a big difference. He fits the Bruins possession game better than Seguin. The comparison with Bergie is the knack he has for dispossessing opponents, and his work on the PK that uses that knack. He is nowhere near as explosive as TS, but neither is he a one-trick-pony. I think in the long run he will be a better Bruin, but not a better NHL star than Tyler.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Every time i see Smith skate with the puck i think of Seguin. They have a very similar skating style.

Looking at Fraser's stats and he has 37(77)& 33(61gp)goal seasons in the AHL, this year he has 11in 13games. Maybe more to this trade than just Eriksson and Smith( who looks like he will be a solid top 6 fwd)

AHL goals rarely translate to the NHL. It's great that Fraser is lighting it up in the A, but at the end of the day, it's pretty much meaningless.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Nothing personal, but that is a HUGE reach, IMO. He tried to spin around to see the play, and the deflection was nothing more than a random occurrence. If you're suggesting he anticipated the shot coming and angled his leg to be in position for a deflection, then I have to say you're working very hard to see the positives in what has been an underwhelming start to his career in Boston.

Central Scrutinizer

Lord of Song
Jan 6, 2010
montreal
AHL goals rarely translate to the NHL. It's great that Fraser is lighting it up in the A, but at the end of the day, it's pretty much meaningless.
Not always. Fraser is not a 30 year old career minor league player. He is in his 3rd professional year. Not too many players play in the Nhl without spending time in the minors.

Point is the kid is young and can score, he is 6'2 210 and will drop the gloves when needed. Not saying he will be a surefire Nhl player.....but may turn out to be one.

Caron,Knight,Koko are not lighting it up.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
Funny stuff. He has had 2 shots bounce off him, and he is suddenly being compared to Andreychuk and Esposito.

can you point out where exactly I said that? I was pointing out that there are different types of skills not everyone has to be a flashy speedster to score goals and pointed out some of the best goal scorers ever that fit the mold. where exactly did I comepare Louie to two of the best ever?

Please show me I bet you can't

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
Jack and Brick pumping Loui hard in the first of the Ottawa game "smart player" and "slow foot speed but lets wait till he is comfortable." :laugh:

This is getting good!

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I really liked Seguin, although he used to frustrate me to no end when he would slump. He is a terrific player and he's going to do great in Dallas. But I'm happy with the trade. I understand why it was necessary and I think Chiarelli made a bold but well thought out move. I like the players we got and I think they make the team better. In one of the many threads about this trade someone made a comment along the lines of "losing the best player in the trade doesn't mean you lose if you make the team better for it". I think that sums this trade up to a T. Seguin was the best player in the trade but Boston is a 4 line team that emphasizes 2 way playing. The guys they got fit the system more than Seguin. And with the money we saved we were able to keep most of the team intact and sign Iggy. When you play as a team and have all the lines contributing you don't need a 30/40 goal scorer to win games and it makes you incredibly hard to defend against with every line being a legitimate threat. That's what I love about this team, they truly play as a team. Boston has had success with this and I would be shocked if it didn't continue. I just don't see Boston being the type of team where high offensive players like Seguin and Kessel will work long term. I think more guys will rise to the occasion and become better players overall if they feel they are needed to score rather than depending on an offensive firepower.

People's obsession with this trade and all Boston's trades really is pretty amusing. Boston is not afraid to make bold moves if they feel it will improve the team and they've had proven success with it. People are literally foaming at the mouth for Boston to be burned by one of these trades. I guess when your own team isn't having much success you have a lot more time to invest convincing yourself that everyone else is gonna fail too. You're never going to be able to reason with these people, they're only going to see what they want to see. People are still arguing over the Kessel trade ffs. Come on now.

kytem2

Nov 18, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
can you point out where exactly I said that? I was pointing out that there are different types of skills not everyone has to be a flashy speedster to score goals and pointed out some of the best goal scorers ever that fit the mold. where exactly did I comepare Louie to two of the best ever?

Please show me I bet you can't

What ???? Here is your exact post:

"That is a talent. some of the best goal scorers ever to play didn't have pure skill in skating but made a living standing still. Dave Andreychuk, Phil Espo even Rex are a few that come to mind."

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
What ???? Here is your exact post:

"That is a talent. some of the best goal scorers ever to play didn't have pure skill in skating but made a living standing still. Dave Andreychuk, Phil Espo even Rex are a few that come to mind."

yes that is my quote stating that standing in front of the net is a skill and some of the best goal scorers in the game did that and didn't have the flash or speed. where did I say Louie was on par with those guys? your are showing nothing.

THE ARS*

The very fact that the Bruins are 12-5-1 at this juncture (including a span of games WITHOUT Loui in the lineup in which the team went 2-3-0) says that at the very least the trade is working out just fine thus far...

No.

It just means the Bruins are good. Just like they were last year with Tyler Seguin.

Whereas, last year, with Loui Erikson, the Stars were bad.

See how that works?

Ya boy may have actually scored a legitimate goal tonight.:handclap:

Let's see how it goes, but he still looks invisible to me. I know you guys want to believe everything the Bruins do is right, but we traded two of the best scorers in the game and ended up with this guy on the second line?

THE ARS*

yes that is my quote stating that standing in front of the net is a skill and some of the best goal scorers in the game did that and didn't have the flash or speed. where did I say Louie was on par with those guys? your are showing nothing.

Jesus saves.

Espo scores on the rebound.:D

I remember, boss.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
No.

It just means the Bruins are good. Just like they were last year with Tyler Seguin.

Whereas, last year, with Loui Erikson, the Stars were bad.

See how that works?

Ya boy may have actually scored a legitimate goal tonight.:handclap:

Let's see how it goes, but he still looks invisible to me. I know you guys want to believe everything the Bruins do is right, but we traded two of the best scorers in the game and ended up with this guy on the second line?

If you want to go that route, the Bruins didn't trade Seguin and Kessel for Eriksson. The original trade was:

Kessel for

- First-round draft pick (Seguin)
- Second-round draft pick (Knight)
- First-round draft pick (Hamilton)

(plus cap space)

Then,

Seguin (and Peverley, and Button) for

- Eriksson
- Smith
- Morrow
- Fraser

(plus cap space)

The first trade gave Toronto a very good goal scorer, and helped the Bruins win a Stanley Cup. Good for both teams, though I'd give an advantage to Boston for the hardware. I like Dougie too, and I think I'll like him even more in a few years.

The second trade is way, WAY too early to judge, though it could certainly work out to be another win/win. Dallas gets a good goal-scorer, Boston gets depth, an all-star wing (yes, I know, he hasn't LIT IT UP yet in Boston), and, important but often overlooked, room to re-sign guys such as Rask and Bergeron.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad