The Official Jonathan Drouin Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
We all know Stamkos and Drouin on the same line is gonna happen sooner or later. Stammer is a righty who usually hangs around on the left side of the ice in order to receive passes on his forehand. Drouin is a left wing though (and shooting left). Will Jo have to move to right wing eventually for this duo to be as effective as possible?

Cool. We have even less centers.... xD

Again, I don't think speculating at this point is worthwhile... Stamkos could be traded for all we know... :naughty:

But IMO if Drouin is playing with Stamkos, then Marty probably isn't.

GojuLeaf

May 3, 2010
curious as to why TB fans think they took Drouin over Jones especially when Defence and not offence is the teams major issue?

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
We all know Stamkos and Drouin on the same line is gonna happen sooner or later. Stammer is a righty who usually hangs around on the left side of the ice in order to receive passes on his forehand. Drouin is a left wing though (and shooting left). Will Jo have to move to right wing eventually for this duo to be as effective as possible?

On the PP, Drouin regularly plays on the right side, but from what I remember, it's not as frequent on normal shifts. From the games and highlights I've watched, Drouin's just spectacular at one time passes (passing in general) and knows where everyone is on the ice without even looking.

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
curious as to why TB fans think they took Drouin over Jones especially when Defence and not offence is the teams major issue?

We got the best D available in the draft. An unstoppable offense. 6.5 GPG. :laugh:

Seriously, Yzerman and company have been fond of Drouin and believed that he could be the best player in the entire draft. Perhaps Yzerman took a risk and thought maybe they could steal a defenseman later or maybe he believes he can sign a FA or execute a trade.

But he took Drouin over Jones because Drouin was higher on the draft board for them.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Jones will be ready in 3-4 years while Drouin will be able to help this team now. We have tons of cap space now to address the defense. Also, Marty isn't getting any younger. And the fact that he fell from #1 to #4 is telling me that the GMs saw or know something. Jones acting like a sulky teenager when he wasn't selected that early doesn't help his case either (I know... the last one is sticking at trifles).

TL;DR: Drouin was the BPA.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008

Simple. We took we who thought was BPA. Some teams didn't even have Jones ranked that high, not to mention that two other teams ahead of us in need of an upgrade to their defense also passed on him.

It's also more difficult to find dynamic, franchise type forwards outside of the first round than it is to find high quality defensemen in later rounds.

Last edited:

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Was so happy when FL drafted Barkov. Knew we were going to either get Jones or Drouin. Happy SY felt the same way I did in thinking we couldnt pass up Drouin if he fell to us. Hes just too good to pass up. That off the charts skill and selflessness is going to look amazing next to Stamkos. Its going to fill up the Forum. He will make the team this fall too. I dont see them taking their time with him. Hes ready.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club

Mainly because you're not going to get an impact defenseman, even if you throw him into the lineup, for 2-3 years. Defense can be shored up in free agency, and Drouin is a special player.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
I'm convinced we got the best player in the draft. Not that I don't think Mac is an excellent player but is he as good without Drouin?

His rookie season in the Q as a 16 year old says yes ;).

I think MacK and Drouin were the best two players going into this draft and also have the highest ceilings. Jones' ceiling is obviously very high, but going into the draft his stock fell a bit, so he is a close 3rd imo.

LateNightOilerFan

Oct 18, 2008
Nova Scotia
A big "woohoo" from Halifax! Pumped to see Jo go to the Lightning, as the west coast/Preds/Panthers didn't seem as inviting. Get to see him on TV more now that you guys have moved into the Leafs/Habs division, and I hope to get down to Tampa this year to see him play.

And does he ever look good in that jersey ;) I hope to buy one this year, and #27 seems to be his if he wants it.

You guys know what you're getting, so enjoy your Marty st. Louis 2.0, congrats and good luck to Jo!

I'll echo this comment as a fellow Haligonian just outside of Cole Harbour! I was away for the draft but following along on Twitter and was so happy to see Jo get picked by the Bolts! Very excited to see how he transitions to the NHL and I too would love to get to Tampa in the next couple years to see him play. Became a fan of the Bolts when Roli played, happy I will still have a connection to the team!

c_robio

Feb 3, 2006
I'm convinced we got the best player in the draft. Not that I don't think Mac is an excellent player but is he as good without Drouin?

His game didn't really change with or without Drouin. He's a guy that you give him the puck and he's gonna drive to the net whether on the rush or from the boards. It's extremely effective because of his speed/acceleration and his surprising strength despite not being the biggest guy. A lot of people say he plays like he's over 200 pounds and I definitely agree. This and the fact that he's a center is why he is ranked higher imo

On Hockey Talent alone Drouin is the top dog. He has that ability to quickly read and utilize where everyone is on the ice. His stickhandling and passing is just so precise that he'll make you pay for any space you give him or his teammates

Last edited:

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
Anyone watch the video on the Lightning website after he got picked? Said "Obviously" at the start of every single question. Just dish those pucks to Stamkos, little one. You can say whatever the hell you want.

Pointerspoint

socktaper
Mar 23, 2013
Lake County
I rewatched the pick, the poor kid looked soooo nervous when Stevie Y was walking up to the podium. I didn't notice this yesterday because I was nervous. Also noticed the two family members next to him on either side were both wearing blue and white. :nod:

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://tbo.com/bolts-drouin-seemed-...130702/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
A preteen Jonathan Drouin skated onto the ice one summer at a small arena outside Montreal, wanting to play with the big kids from the Lac St. Louis Lions, the local AAA Midget team.

Alex Killorn, like most teenagers, raised an eyebrow at the sight.

"Even though it was just summer hockey, we looked at him like, 'Who was this kid?' '' Killorn recalled recently of the first time he met Drouin, the Lightning's first-round pick in Sunday's NHL entry draft.
"He proved himself pretty quickly," said Killorn, 23, a 2007 third-round draft pick of the Lightning who just completed his rookie year with Tampa Bay. "He was confident when he played and he didn't care. He was so skilled he would go through guys, so we treated him as one of us."
"He always had good hands and stuff, but you never know when they're that young how good he can be," Killorn said. "But he kept getting better and better until last summer when I saw him I was like, 'Holy (cow), this kid could go really high in the draft.'

"He's just progressed tremendously."
"He's probably ready to step up and make an impact just because of his skill," Killorn said. "He knows how to use his body. He's not the biggest player, but he knows how to use his frame. He's really strong on his feet and I think the way he has trained the last few years has helped him out.

"He'll be a great player in the NHL for sure."

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I rewatched the pick, the poor kid looked soooo nervous when Stevie Y was walking up to the podium. I didn't notice this yesterday because I was nervous. Also noticed the two family members next to him on either side were both wearing blue and white. :nod:
So his sister/girlfriend/the lady on the right was rooting for Dallas to pick him?

TBLightningFan

Apr 20, 2004
Tampa
I like the pick and cant wait to see what he brings to the table. While this team is in a down period... I must say that at least this time it is much more pleasant and the potential is just awesome.

It almost feels like the early 2000's where all we need is for our players to grow and fill in a few missing pieces. The NHL squad may still have its holes, but you cannot deny that SY hasn't done exactly what he has promised and the organization gets better and better regardless of the outcome in the standings.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Anyone watch the video on the Lightning website after he got picked? Said "Obviously" at the start of every single question. Just dish those pucks to Stamkos, little one. You can say whatever the hell you want.

Using 'obviously' in the right tone and context says to me that he's got his ego in check. Overusing it says to me it's to a point of insecurity. Given what I knew about him before, that seems to line up.

I wouldn't expect him to be a guy who comes into camp who thinks he's hot **** and got a top spot locked down already.

Drouin was wearing a white shirt with a blue tie as well.

Last edited:

TASA

Jun 19, 2007
Digby, NS
Just saw on TSN, The Top 10 plays by Canadians. I'm guessing it was for this year so far and Drouin was #1 with "The Shift". As soon as I know which number he will be wearing next year I will be ordering my jersey. Plus the fact the Mooseheads are my home QMJHL team I can wear it to the Metro Center. Think I'm gonna see a whole lot more Lightning and Avalanche jerseys next year.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Just saw on TSN, The Top 10 plays by Canadians. I'm guessing it was for this year so far and Drouin was #1 with "The Shift". As soon as I know which number he will be wearing next year I will be ordering my jersey. Plus the fact the Mooseheads are my home QMJHL team I can wear it to the Metro Center. Think I'm gonna see a whole lot more Lightning and Avalanche jerseys next year.
Can't argue with him being selected #1.

As for his number: #27 isn't taken by anybody so far and since Andreychuk's #25 was given to Carle I doubt the team wouldn't allow Drouin to wear Taylor's #27.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008

I already jumped the gun prior to the draft and ordered my Drouin #27 Bolts home jersey...still waiting to see if I got the number right :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad