The Official "Isle's Draft Position" Thread Pt 1: (13-6-0), Bah Hambug

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
I didn't watch the game last night, but the Isles have looked solid. I doubt it was a total fluke, but tonight will be interesting. I think the Pens take it but regardless, Isles have to be happy with at least getting two from that back to back.

The Penguins should feel fortunate to have escaped the game with a point.. A few of them probably said so in the media..

But, that was a failure on our part.

I'm predicting the crowd at NVMC will be fired up like it was a playoff game, JT comes out flying, and we win the game in regulation. By three goals.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
The Penguins should feel fortunate to have escaped the game with a point.. A few of them probably said so in the media..

I'm predicting the crowd at NVMC will be fired up like it was a playoff game, JT comes out flying, and we win the game in regulation. By three goals.

The two games they've played in Pittsburgh have felt like playoff games. Exciting hockey, and a lot of scoring.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I watched the game. Until the OT, when the pens double shifted the Crosby-Malkin combo, they were badly out played by the Isles. Our goaltending was horrendous, which gave the pens a point as a gift.

Crosby was of the scoresheet but still dangerous all night. Their third line was also pretty good.

JT looked like he was in a coma, and Brock Nelson was kind of meh.

Strome was unreal, all over the ice and dominating on some shifts.

Honestly,I would not be shocked if he finished the season as our scoring leader, if JT does not snap out of it.

Laugh if you must, but I predict sixty points for Strome

Considering JT has 18 pts in 19 games and he's allegedly not playing well yet, I think he's a pretty safe bet to go well past 60 pts if he stays healthy.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
I didn't watch the game last night, but the Isles have looked solid. I doubt it was a total fluke, but tonight will be interesting. I think the Pens take it but regardless, Isles have to be happy with at least getting two from that back to back.

I don't know. Tonight it's our starter against their backup, opposite of last night. Isles are a much improved home team. They have the best road record in the league since December to now but couldn't get it together at home last season. Different story this year.

Isles beat the Pens without JT, Okposo, Nielsen and Nelson not getting a point. Times are changing and this is a very deep team.

It got nasty last night. Bortuzzo head butted Martin as he was losing the fight, several big hits, the Boychuk play late wasn't as bad as Pens fans are crying about.Tonight should be fun!

Clock

May 13, 2006
Insane turnaround in one year. Taking the Pens out twice, two nights in a row... dayum.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Well, they now that they are for real I wish them the best. We are still getting a great prospect regardless of where those picks end up.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Insane turnaround in one year. Taking the Pens out twice, two nights in a row... dayum.

This is the first year I can remember since 2005/6 that we had a payroll that was above league min(we always found ways to pay well below the actual cap min with weird bonuses that weren't reached). That extra cash basically buys you a 2nd pairing on defense as opposed to Donovan/Strait on the third pair

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006

But what do I know?

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
The Isles will be coming back down to earth. They can't sustain this, same with St. Louis, historically the data says so.

Thatguystevie

Jan 26, 2014
The Isles will be coming back down to earth. They can't sustain this, same with St. Louis, historically the data says so.

They are pretty deep though. It's entirely possible that the players that have been hot and carrying the team go cold and others pick up the production and keep things rolling.

The isles and st. Louis are built a little differently too. Kind of a stretch to say the islanders will lose because another team did.

Clock

May 13, 2006

But when you consider the fact that a Buffalo pro sports team would potentially benefit from them doing x, x*-1 tends to happen. Gotta adjust for that.

ZeroPT*

Early on I'm the year beat case scenario for me was a pick between 8-12. I still think it can happen but I think we're looking at a 12-20 pick. Which still could land you a really really good prospect.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
They are pretty deep though. It's entirely possible that the players that have been hot and carrying the team go cold and others pick up the production and keep things rolling.

The isles and st. Louis are built a little differently too. Kind of a stretch to say the islanders will lose because another team did.

I think it all comes down to injuries. The wrong player gets injured all of a sudden you can go on a bad streak. it should be pointed out a couple years ago when the Islanders made the playoffs they were relatively injury free, last year was the opposite. All that being said I do think the Islanders have better depth then the previous 2 years

I think the Islanders biggest achilles heal in terms of injury will be defense. As it stands now when we have a healthy 6 man unit we are ok, but one or 2 of those guys go down then we have to go to the reserves and unless Reinhart or Pulock are ready to step up that might hurt(as it stands now Strait and Donovan our the teams reserves)

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
The two games they've played in Pittsburgh have felt like playoff games. Exciting hockey, and a lot of scoring.

Are we talking winning playoff hockey? Or are we talking bad defense /bad goaltending playoff hockey that sends a team out in the early rounds? What the Pens have been known for lately.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010

Depth means nothing, literally, the historical data for modern day NHL seasons says they cannot sustain this. Look at their record. 14-6, that's in 25% of the season roughly. So, your telling me the Islanders are going to go 56-24 or so? 112 points from a team that was just in the bottom 5 the year before? Come on man, they are just starting the harder part of their schedule, lost 5 in a row before this last short winning streak started. The season will only get more difficult as competition tightens up as well. I don't see them as a 100+ point team, sorry, historical data says so.

But when you consider the fact that a Buffalo pro sports team would potentially benefit from them doing x, x*-1 tends to happen. Gotta adjust for that.

lol, while I agree Clock, Murphy's law does seem to apply to Buffalo sports franchises, I'm sure come Feb. we'll be looking at the Islanders, and the Blues records for that matter, with a little more ease of mind.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Depth means nothing, literally, the historical data for modern day NHL seasons says they cannot sustain this. Look at their record. 14-6, that's in 25% of the season roughly. So, your telling me the Islanders are going to go 56-24 or so? 112 points from a team that was just in the bottom 5 the year before? Come on man, they are just starting the harder part of their schedule, lost 5 in a row before this last short winning streak started. The season will only get more difficult as competition tightens up as well. I don't see them as a 100+ point team, sorry, historical data says so.

Historical data means poop because historical data tells me they had a team that had the lowest payroll in the NHL, which included a goalie making 4.5M that was constantly injured and a bunch of guys with bonuses in contracts that they were never going to reach to get over that hump(don't even get me started how they used Yashin's buyout to save cash for 2 seasons).

Current data tells me while they still bottom 10 in the league for payroll they only 7M from cap Max and not included in that value is that 4.5M goalie or weird ass bonuses that won't be paid out.

Current data also tells me alot of the guys on the roster are either on their first or second contract and are making much less then they would be if they on their next contract

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Historical data means poop because historical data tells me they had a team that had the lowest payroll in the NHL, which included a goalie making 4.5M that was constantly injured and a bunch of guys with bonuses in contracts that they were never going to reach to get over that hump(don't even get me started how they used Yashin's buyout to save cash for 2 seasons).

Current data tells me while they still bottom 10 in the league for payroll they only 7M from cap Max and not included in that value is that 4.5M goalie or weird ass bonuses that won't be paid out.

Current data also tells me alot of the guys on the roster are either on their first or second contract and are making much less then they would be if they on their next contract

The payroll has 0 to do with their current state of affairs, it doesn't affect the short nor long term prognosis of a 100+ point season from a bottom 5 team.

Please, point to me where another team has done so historically, I'd like to know.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
The payroll has 0 to do with their current state of affairs, it doesn't affect the short nor long term prognosis of a 100+ point season from a bottom 5 team.

As I pointed out above all the extra cash means instead of Strait and Donovan as our third pairing, we now have Boychuk and Leddy(which moves Visnovsky and Hickey down to 3rd pairing).

While not common for a bottom 5 team to turn it around and become a 100 point team(or a team that is somewhat close) it's not out of the question. Montreal did it a few years ago(or at least if you prorated the strike short season they would have). LA Kings did it after a few bad season in 2010. Philly went from 56 to 95 in 2007/08 while the Washington Capitals went from 70 to 94 points the same year

Didn't Colorado do it last year?

Another good example(infact probably one of the better examples for a team you might want to compare the Islanders with), Hell you could count Tampa as well from 2013

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad