Not open for further replies.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Man, that's just wrong.

:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

Listen, I don't want anything career threatening. Just some conveniently timed injuries at the wrong time to the wrong players that derail the season.

Maybe a bout of flu during an extended home stretch that takes out half the team. Or a twisted ankle or four to everyone on the top line.

Just anything to make our pick higher than doesn't do long term damage to the player beyond this season.

Is that too much to ask?

Clock

May 13, 2006
Man, that's just wrong.

:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

Listen, I don't want anything career threatening. Just some conveniently timed injuries at the wrong time to the wrong players that derail the season.

Maybe a bout of flu during an extended home stretch that takes out half the team. Or a twisted ankle or four to everyone on the top line.

Just anything to make our pick higher than doesn't do long term damage to the player beyond this season.

Is that too much to ask?

What's wrong? I think you are taking what he said out of context. At least I hope so..

Nah...I've been calling Tanya Harding and Jeff Gilooly, should hear back from them soon...

Though I think it's evident that you're not actually wishing for injuries here, Doak, I'll take this opportunity to remind everyone not to wish for injuries and to take care even if being sarcastic. We've had to get rid of a few of these, but nothing recent.

Likewise, Isles fans, I again strongly recommend you skip this thread if you find yourself taking it too seriously (e.g., someone who remarks that they wish a whole team gets the flu is seriously hoping for an epidemic, or that bringing up an injury or acknowledging that injuries happen = wishing injuries). As much as I regret that some of you are getting so wound up about this thread, we're not willing to delete it or outlaw humor based on that.

Thanks.

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
****, the Isles are going to win the Stanley Cup and we won't be getting a first rounder.

wait

We get a first rounder no matter what.

Wooohooo

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
Wishing for injuries reflects badly on us all.

If, say, John Tavares were to miss a game to witness the beautiful miracle that is childbirth, though, then I'd happily wish that enriching lifelong gift on him. Brock Nelson probably can impregnate a woman with merely a glance, so we probably can count on a couple weeks of paternity break for him coming up. Who can say no to more happy little Islander babies?

Clock

May 13, 2006
****, the Isles are going to win the Stanley Cup and we won't be getting a first rounder.

wait

We get a first rounder no matter what.

Wooohooo

That's about it.

My favorite two misconceptions of this season so far are:
1. Buffalo is going to be crushed when they don't get McDavid
2. Buffalo is going to be crushed when all three of its first round picks aren't lottery-quality.

Anyhow, stiff competition for the Isles on Friday and Saturday with the Pens. Should be two exciting games there.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011

If, say, John Tavares were to miss a game to witness the beautiful miracle that is childbirth, though, then I'd happily wish that enriching lifelong gift on him. Brock Nelson probably can impregnate a woman with merely a glance, so we probably can count on a couple weeks of paternity break for him coming up. Who can say no to more happy little Islander babies?

Here's wishing the Islanders top 6 a month of happy weddings to attend! Here's hoping Halak enjoys a spiritual enlightenment in Rishikesh! Here's to their blueline getting so high they can't stop giggling for a year!

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

Way I look at it is injuries are part of the game so it's bound to happen at some point. If the shoe was reversed I wouldn't be actively cheering for a guys get injured but I wouldn't be to upset if they missed a decent portion of games due to some non career threatening injury

In terms of injuries this season i think Islander depth is much better then previous season. I don't think an injury to the forwards will hurt the team much(even if Tavares gets injured it will just be a chance for Strome or Nelson to step up), Goaltending might hurt a bit if it's Halak but even then I think they might be able to get by there. Defense though I like our top 6 guys but once one of those guys gets injured I see a big dropoff. It should be noted when we had the minislump Hamonic was out for a few games, I don't think that was a coincidence. I do think the loss of Hamonic of Boychuk will hurt more then others getting injured though(ie those our only 2 "tough" guys on the backend)

If, say, John Tavares were to miss a game to witness the beautiful miracle that is childbirth, though, then I'd happily wish that enriching lifelong gift on him.

And if he happened to father 20 kids in the past 9 months all the better right. lol

Last edited:

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
I'm heading back down to Leyte so will be sure to employ a local witch
doctor to boil the Isle's team calendar in pig fat to ensure a season full of bad tidings. I also have a balikibayan box coming from a friend in St Louis with their calendar to double down on our chances.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
Way I look at it is injuries are part of the game so it's bound to happen at some point. If the shoe was reversed I wouldn't be actively cheering for a guys get injured but I wouldn't be to upset if they missed a decent portion of games due to some non career threatening injury

In terms of injuries this season i think Islander depth is much better then previous season. I don't think an injury to the forwards will hurt the team much(even if Tavares gets injured it will just be a chance for Strome or Nelson to step up), Goaltending might hurt a bit if it's Halak but even then I think they might be able to get by there. Defense though I like our top 6 guys but once one of those guys gets injured I see a big dropoff. It should be noted when we had the minislump Hamonic was out for a few games, I don't think that was a coincidence. I do think the loss of Hamonic of Boychuk will hurt more then others getting injured though(ie those our only 2 "tough" guys on the backend)

And if he happened to father 20 kids in the past 9 months all the better right. lol

Other teams can have serious injuries too. While we are fantasizing about JT missing games, imagine what happens to Pitt if Crosby goes down or Montreal if Price and/or Subban goes down. If that happens, then the Isles would have a shot at finishing in the top two or three in the conference.

I'd actually argue that the Isles are less vulnerable in that regard. JT clearly has come back to form yet since his knee injury, and the Isles are still filling the net.

Isles don't have the high end talent of a team like Pitt, but they do have about as much DEPTH as any team in the league (note again the distinction between depth and talent).

I still think a lot of you damn Sabres fans deserve credit for the wicked sense of humor during a hard season....

BossyMVP

Die SABRES die
Jun 27, 2011
Long Island
I have no problems with you guys hoping for injuries. I understand you want a high pick. To me this is a fun thread. But I still hate your fans, not the team. But good luck with the draft picks. Here's a couple things...some already brought up by one of your fans that seems really in tune with the islanders.

1) If we have injuries, we have back-ups. No one can replace JT but other than that, with Grabner coming back and a couple good ones in the minors, we won't fall off a cliff with an injury...forward or D-man.

2) Our goalies have been average. And we are 12-6.

3) Our worst month is November. We're 5-2. Our best month is March. TBD.

4) If we play .500 for the rest of the way, we end up with 88 points and out of the top 10. I think we play slightly over that and make the playoffs. That's a pick out of the top 15.

OT. Hope everyone there is safe from the snow. That is some crazy and sad stuff going on over there. Be safe.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
Between 2008 and 2014 we had two first round selections in three drafts. In 2008 we drafted Myers at 12 and Ennis at 26. In 2012 we selected Grigorenko at 12 and Girgensons at 14. In 2013 we selected Ristolainen at 8 and Zadorov at 16. This year we have upped the ante to three in the first round. There's no guarantee that Murray will hit on any of the upcoming selections however a mid to even late first round pick is better than no first round pick at all and certainly gives the team the potential to greatly improve its future roster. Even if the Isles make it to the playoffs or, heaven forbid, manage to win a round or two it's not the end of the world. It may not be what we envisioned last year when the trade occurred but it's still a first round pick with the ability to add a talented player.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
3) Our worst month is November. We're 5-2. Our best month is March. TBD

Much easier winning in march when nothing is on the line(although we did have a great finish to the strike shortened season). I would also add we usually have a great mid December to mid January after we complete suck in November, so if we can continue that good Mid December streak without stinking up the room in November we should be in good position

All that being said the fact we have a good November record is the first of many tests of will they or won't they this team revert back to old habits. I know in the back of my head when we lost a few games at the end of October, I was like oh oh here we go again

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
The Isles showed last year they can do fine without JT, and they had much less offensive depth then than they now do...they did awfully well down the stretch without him there...the injury that will kill them will be either Boychuk, Leddy, Hamonic, or Halak going down for a long time.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Other teams can have serious injuries too. While we are fantasizing about JT missing games, imagine what happens to Pitt if Crosby goes down or Montreal if Price and/or Subban goes down. If that happens, then the Isles would have a shot at finishing in the top two or three in the conference.

I'd actually argue that the Isles are less vulnerable in that regard. JT clearly has come back to form yet since his knee injury, and the Isles are still filling the net.

Isles don't have the high end talent of a team like Pitt, but they do have about as much DEPTH as any team in the league (note again the distinction between depth and talent).

I still think a lot of you damn Sabres fans deserve credit for the wicked sense of humor during a hard season....
Yeah, this is why the Sabres are going to beat the Isles three times and let the rest of the Metro walk all over them. Dropped points only for the Isles please. ;) :sarcasm:

In all seriousness, I'm curious to see how the Isles handle this next stretch of divisional games, as they're nearing 20 GP now and are firmly planted in the playoff picture. If the Isles manage to win three or four of their six consecutive divisional games here, then they'll maintain their divisional standing into December. Meanwhile, winning more should raise some eyebrows here, as we're not rooting for the Isles (or Blues) to be a division winner nor conference finalist (15-26 vs 23-30 pick). We'd prefer there to be a slide here, muddying the Metro teams behind the Pens together, clinging to that chance of extra lottery odds, let alone the obviously better pick.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Nice! I have been waiting for this thread! Never fear my friends I have ensured the Islanders tank this year by selecting Tavares in my fantasy league, he's bound to have the worst season of his career. We should also start a Blues tank page, they're most likely headed to the playoffs, but they are in a very tough Central.

Ironically Tavares is having a poor year (for him) and yet the Isles are off to their best start in 30 years. Too perfect.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011

Yeah, and both Tavares and Nelson, being awestruck by those, shall I say spiritual experiences, decide to join an obscure religious group that forbids them to play on Saturdays and Sundays (don't laugh at this, btw., there was an actual case like that centered around a Swiss soccer player)

The fact that said religious group also endorses polygamy furthermore convinces the entire Isles blueline to equally join the sect, which leaves the team without their two offensive stars and an NHL defense on one third of their game nights, the result being them falling out of contention, ultimately resulting in them winning the lottery.

Exactly one minute after the end of the draft, Tavares and Co. go back to normal and go on to win the cup the following season.

So there you go, everybody happy.

Clock

May 13, 2006
Pens played like crap all night minus OT, should be a much better game tonight. Sid in a 'mini slump.'

I didn't watch the game last night, but the Isles have looked solid. I doubt it was a total fluke, but tonight will be interesting. I think the Pens take it but regardless, Isles have to be happy with at least getting two from that back to back.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
I didn't watch the game last night, but the Isles have looked solid. I doubt it was a total fluke, but tonight will be interesting. I think the Pens take it but regardless, Isles have to be happy with at least getting two from that back to back.

I watched the game. Until the OT, when the pens double shifted the Crosby-Malkin combo, they were badly out played by the Isles. Our goaltending was horrendous, which gave the pens a point as a gift.

Crosby was of the scoresheet but still dangerous all night. Their third line was also pretty good.

JT looked like he was in a coma, and Brock Nelson was kind of meh.

Strome was unreal, all over the ice and dominating on some shifts.

Honestly,I would not be shocked if he finished the season as our scoring leader, if JT does not snap out of it.

Laugh if you must, but I predict sixty points for Strome.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I watched the game. Until the OT, when the pens double shifted the Crosby-Malkin combo, they were badly out played by the Isles. Our goaltending was horrendous, which gave the pens a point as a gift.

Crosby was of the scoresheet but still dangerous all night. Their third line was also pretty good.

JT looked like he was in a coma, and Brock Nelson was kind of meh.

Strome was unreal, all over the ice and dominating on some shifts.

Honestly,I would not be shocked if he finished the season as our scoring leader, if JT does not snap out of it.

Laugh if you must, but I predict sixty points for Strome.

No laughter here. Love Strome. Him and Brock are tremendous building blocks for a sick second line behind Tavares and Okposo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad