The Official "Isle's Draft Position" Thread Pt 1: (13-6-0), Bah Hambug

Status
Not open for further replies.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
maybe, could be sooner or later too

but the isles aren't the avs, and judging this team with significant changes based on past teams isn't that sound

i expected a low playoff berth and still do tbh

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
but the isles aren't the avs, and judging this team with significant changes based on past teams isn't that sound

It was just a response to:

Please, point to me where another team has done so historically, I'd like to know.

We basically found 4 examples of it happening since 2007(plus 2 others that made significant improvements to make the playoffs, although not breaking 100 points)

All that being said I do agree judging the Islanders on the basis of any other team in history is faulty logic(because all had different circumstances), and that goes to static80 as well

Clock

May 13, 2006
Enough with the attacks. Isles fans are welcome to post here and provide their input about their team as long as it isn't trolling / flamebaitish. I appreciate reading a lot of the feedback from the fans who are watching them every game.

But please note, Isles fans, that obviously (obviously) does not include sarcastic posts cheering on Buffalo, especially in this thread. You can cheer for the Sabres to get a worse draft pick via wining on your own forum, not here.

Thatguystevie

Jan 26, 2014
Depth means nothing, literally, the historical data for modern day NHL seasons says they cannot sustain this. Look at their record. 14-6, that's in 25% of the season roughly. So, your telling me the Islanders are going to go 56-24 or so? 112 points from a team that was just in the bottom 5 the year before? Come on man, they are just starting the harder part of their schedule, lost 5 in a row before this last short winning streak started. The season will only get more difficult as competition tightens up as well. I don't see them as a 100+ point team, sorry, historical data says so.

lol, while I agree Clock, Murphy's law does seem to apply to Buffalo sports franchises, I'm sure come Feb. we'll be looking at the Islanders, and the Blues records for that matter, with a little more ease of mind.

It's kind of silly to predict their finish this year based on last year. They added seven new roster players this off season. That's about a quarter of the entire team. Most of those moves Addressed the isles needs very well too. I mean, would you have said they were a lock to be a bubble team last year because they made the playoffs the year before? Of course not, so it doesn't make sense to say they won't make it this year because they didn't last year. Especially when you take into account all the moves they made.

Also, their schedule has been pretty difficult so far with a home/home with Tampa and Pittsburgh and A west coast trip where they beat all of the conferences top teams with a few games against the easts best teams sprinkled in(which they won). It's obviously not going to get any easier but if you're implying it was a cake walk that's simply not true. They've played and beaten most of the top teams in the league already with their new roster.

They also haven't lost 5 in a row yet this season. Not sure what you're talking about. They did have a 3 game losing streak though.

The only thin the islanders need to be worried about are significant injuries to their starting goaltender and top-pairing d-men. But I'd argue that's true for every team.

They won't keep up this amazing pace their at(tavares and Okposo probably will) but I think if Nelson goes cold Nielsen, Grabner, strome, and the others will be able to keep them afloat. They'll obviously slump at some point, there's no avoiding that, every team does it. I just really doubt it'll be the collapse most buffalo fans are hoping for.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
We are the problem. Buffalo luck. Delete the thread and forget the Isles. Isles will win the cup if we keep rooting against them.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
If they stay healthy, I would expect the isles to be a good bit better in the second half than the first. They broke in a slew of new players, youngsters, and had a few guys coming back from major injuries. I think that was the main reason for some of the early season issues.

A very positive sign for the Isles is that JT was JT last night, and his like de Haan are returning to full speed.

Of course, injuries are the wildcard. But, the Isles do have depth.

I think they make a run at the division.

The historical analysis I see as irrelevant because the current situation was created by $. All that young talent is there because snow has no money to sign players and had to build through the draft. Likewise, the call is also the reason they landed all those vets. Unique cocktail of economic forces, fairly unprecedented.

Today's fun thought for you guys: most of the better players the isles have right now were drafted in the exact slots you guys will likely pick.

There is no reason the Isles and Blues picks can't be turned into a Brock Nelson. All up to your scouts.

ZeroPT*

If they stay healthy, I would expect the isles to be a good bit better in the second half than the first. They broke in a slew of new players, youngsters, and had a few guys coming back from major injuries. I think that was the main reason for some of the early season issues.

A very positive sign for the Isles is that JT was JT last night, and his like de Haan are returning to full speed.

Of course, injuries are the wildcard. But, the Isles do have depth.

I think they make a run at the division.

The historical analysis I see as irrelevant because the current situation was created by $. All that young talent is there because snow has no money to sign players and had to build through the draft. Likewise, the call is also the reason they landed all those vets. Unique cocktail of economic forces, fairly unprecedented.

Today's fun thought for you guys: most of the better players the isles have right now were drafted in the exact slots you guys will likely pick.

There is no reason the Isles and Blues picks can't be turned into a Brock Nelson. All up to your scouts.
100% right again, Darth.

Zemgus Girgensons was a 14th overall pick
Nikita Zadorov was a 16th overall pick

I'm confident that Murray ad co. can find some solid players.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
One thing I wasn't expecting was the emergence of the Isles "kids" .. I expected them to struggle more than they have... and I certainly didn't expect all of them to to be playing so well. WHile I think the additions of Grabovski , Kulemin, Boychuck and Ledy would improve them from last year I feel it is the play of Nelson, Strome and Lee that will determine if they are a playoff team or not. So far the kids are passing the test.

ZeroPT*

I got laughed at by a few here for trying to trade a 2nd for Leddy.

Glad to see I was right about him

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
maybe, could be sooner or later too

i expected a low playoff berth and still do tbh

This was my point. The Avalanche aren't a good example to be honest, a great deal lined up for them to reach that 112 point mark. But, in all fairness, I should have specified denoted systematic flaws with the comparison of the 2, I brought that one on myself by not doing so. Touche' to those that responded with the Avs as an example, although, once again, I don't see those same dynamics within the Islanders scenario.

What I do see with the Isles is a weak front end schedule, they are just now entering a tougher stretch of their schedule and are riding the streak in to it, that, in my opinion, won't last. And furthermore, there is going to be a tightening of competition as the season heads to the half way point and teams tighten up even further.

I can see them making the playoffs however, I was adamant at the beginning of the off season they wouldn't, but my hats off to what they've done to address some real problems they've had.

I see the Isles as definite contenders in a year or so, they are putting it together.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
Depth means nothing, literally, the historical data for modern day NHL seasons says they cannot sustain this. Look at their record. 14-6, that's in 25% of the season roughly. So, your telling me the Islanders are going to go 56-24 or so? 112 points from a team that was just in the bottom 5 the year before? Come on man, they are just starting the harder part of their schedule, lost 5 in a row before this last short winning streak started. The season will only get more difficult as competition tightens up as well. I don't see them as a 100+ point team, sorry, historical data says so.

lol, while I agree Clock, Murphy's law does seem to apply to Buffalo sports franchises, I'm sure come Feb. we'll be looking at the Islanders, and the Blues records for that matter, with a little more ease of mind.

1) Obviously they won't win 14 out of every 20 games. But they also surely won't go another 20 games with no loser points.

2) When did we lose 5 in a row this season? We won our first 4, lost 2, won 2, lost 3, and have been 8-1 since then.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
1) Obviously they won't win 14 out of every 20 games. But they also surely won't go another 20 games with no loser points.

2) When did we lose 5 in a row this season? We won our first 4, lost 2, won 2, lost 3, and have been 8-1 since then.

I thought it was 5 in a row, my mistake.
And yes, that is true, as I posted above, the Islanders are a season off from becoming true contenders, but they should make the playoffs this year. Once again, good for them for putting it together, it really did surprise myself.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
One thing I wasn't expecting was the emergence of the Isles "kids" .. I expected them to struggle more than they have... and I certainly didn't expect all of them to to be playing so well. WHile I think the additions of Grabovski , Kulemin, Boychuck and Ledy would improve them from last year I feel it is the play of Nelson, Strome and Lee that will determine if they are a playoff team or not. So far the kids are passing the test.

This is my biggest hope for the Sabres to turn it around quick. We have a number of young guys coming in next year. But several of them are going to be in their early twenties, not teenagers. Strome and Nelson were always more reliable to me because of that. They had full ahl or a mix of ahl and nhl seasons under their belt. I have high hopes for Grigorenko Armia McCabe and Psysk next year.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
This was my point. The Avalanche aren't a good example to be honest, a great deal lined up for them to reach that 112 point mark. But, in all fairness, I should have specified denoted systematic flaws with the comparison of the 2, I brought that one on myself by not doing so. Touche' to those that responded with the Avs as an example, although, once again, I don't see those same dynamics within the Islanders scenario.

What I do see with the Isles is a weak front end schedule, they are just now entering a tougher stretch of their schedule and are riding the streak in to it, that, in my opinion, won't last. And furthermore, there is going to be a tightening of competition as the season heads to the half way point and teams tighten up even further.

I can see them making the playoffs however, I was adamant at the beginning of the off season they wouldn't, but my hats off to what they've done to address some real problems they've had.

I see the Isles as definite contenders in a year or so, they are putting it together.

This will be my last post here but wanted to address this point. Have you really looked at the Isles early schedule?

They beat both SC finalists, the Rangers and Kings. Beat Boston, Ducks, Sharks, destroyed the Avalanche 6-0 after they beat us 5-0 two weeks earlier, beat Tampa Bay 5-2 after losing 5-2 to them the night before (gotta love how they answer back), and just swept the Penguins (who were 13-3) in a home and home taking 6 points out of 8 in two back to backs against two of the best teams in the league.

And that was a weak front end schedule? Outside of Carolina, they haven't played any other bottom feeders. It took a dozen games for 7 new players to gel together, but now that players know their roles, they're thriving.

Clock, be good and enjoy the season.

I'm out and leave you guys to it.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Let's all be friends:

If anything, the one good thing you guys can take out of the Isles success this year is that you can be a good team with ONE franchise player(Tavares X McDavid or Eichel). Plus a handful of high-end young forwards(Strome, Nelson, Lee, eventually MDC and JHS X Reinhart, Girgensons, Grigorenko, Armia + whoever you draft with the NYI and STL picks). Plus a solid foundation of good young D(de Haan, Hamonic, Leddy, Reinhart, Pulock X Ristolainen, Zadorov, Myers, McCabe, Pysyk).

Eventually you add some outside pieces, like a Halak, Clutterbuck, Grabo, Kulemin and Boychuk - and you go on your run. You guys are set up pretty well, regardless of whether you have one top-3 pick or two.

We are not so different, you and I.

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
Let's all be friends:

If anything, the one good thing you guys can take out of the Isles success this year is that you can be a good team with ONE franchise player(Tavares X McDavid or Eichel). Plus a handful of high-end young forwards(Strome, Nelson, Lee, eventually MDC and JHS X Reinhart, Girgensons, Grigorenko, Armia + whoever you draft with the NYI and STL picks). Plus a solid foundation of good young D(de Haan, Hamonic, Leddy, Reinhart, Pulock X Ristolainen, Zadorov, Myers, McCabe, Pysyk).

Eventually you add some outside pieces, like a Halak, Clutterbuck, Grabo, Kulemin and Boychuk - and you go on your run. You guys are set up pretty well, regardless of whether you have one top-3 pick or two.

But I want another top 3 pick!! :cry:

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
WHO DOESN'T??

BTW, we almost had that once. 1st overall pick and the 5th overall. We walked away with Rick DiPietro and Raffi Torres....

...be careful what you wish for, I guess.

Lol true. But I'm pretty sure #1 overall this year has a pretty good shot at being better than Dipietro ;)

Clock

May 13, 2006
Let's all be friends:

Absolutely. It's an unfortunate misconception that failing to get three top ten picks -> massive failure for the rebuild. In a vacuum, the Sabres already have a good cupboard, never mind what they're going to stock it with with this coming draft.

If the Isles draft 30th and the Blues draft 29th, the Sabres are still going to have a great pick unless they tear it up and even then, oh damn. The team is already coming together and some of the hottest pieces to the rebuild won't even be on the team yet. Still have three first round picks.

The Isles and the Blues picks are really just a measure of how big the cherry on top is going to be (understanding a good prospect pool is absolutely no guarantee of future success).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad