The Official Horrible Trade Proposals Thread: Part 3, Still Drinking...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
If we got Pulj, do we put him with Aho then?

Ferland - Aho - Pulj
TT - Nylander - Svechnikov

That would be nice if it worked out
What in the wide wide world of sports make you think that he is ready for that role with Aho? I know he looked great before the draft, but he has shown no ability to think the game at a speed necessary to be successful in the NHL. I hope the kid turns it around, and I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on him if cheap enough, but I'd stick him in Charlotte for the full year before I gave him one shift next to Aho in place of TT.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Leaf fans are all like "Pesce is an average #4 D"

LOL. why do I bother looking at this garbage when I know what nonsense it always becomes.

While we do have some that seem to have that mentality, we do have quiet a few people salivating at the chance of adding Pesce.

The majority of our board seem good with Brett Pesce + Nic Roy or Julien Gauthier.

Then there’s people who think we should get Necas and Pesce which is ridiculous IMO.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I think your concerns are unwarranted. If Nylander gets $7.5M, or $8M, or whatever, that will set the bar for Aho.

Amplifying this, why are we *at all* concerned about money? We have the lowest payroll in the league. There is very little chance that we have "cap issues" down the road as long as the cap keeps rising. Maybe we can wait to worry about the next big contract for Necas and Svechnikov until they have combined for more than three NHL goals. IMO, the last thing any Canes fan should be worried about is how we're going to pay our stars. Lets get a few of them first, then worry about how to pay them.

It would be hilarious if we got Nylander for Faulk + 2nd

I actually came here to post about the possibility of Faulk's good play reviving interest in him. I personally don't have an issue trading Pesce for Nylander, but if we can get Nylander without giving up Pesce, that would be a nice bonus. I get what everyone's saying about Pesce's value, but we simply *have* to trade a RD right now. If we accept that Hamilton is our No. 1, and TvR is our No. 3, and that McKeown is around for depth and Fox is possibly coming fast, that leaves one open position (second-pair RD) for Faulk and Pesce. One of them has to go from a purely asset management point of view. I'd rather trade Faulk than Pesce, but given that one would replace the other on defense, I'd rather receive Nylander than Saad (i.e. Nylander/Faulk > Saad/Pesce).

Lebrun stated recently that dubas and nylanders agent are still far apart on negotiations and that there is some tension now. If this is the case how does Toronto have any leverage in a deal to be made. Their options are trade him or let him sit out the whole year and it doesn't get any better next year with the other 2 of 3 needing new contracts. Shouldn't they be taking the best offer they can get? I'm just confused as to why we give up the top 4 d-man a low dollar long term deal for the guy with no contract(this is if we are not trading for him w/ pre-negotiated contract). IDK maybe im wrong but i just dont see how TOR can demand certain payers in a trade because we could just be like "nah we'll keep em and Nylander can just sit the rest of the year".

Because there are 29 teams in the NHL that are *not* the Canes or the Leafs. If we hold fast on offering 50 cents on the dollar for Nylander, the Leafs can turn to any of those 29 teams and get 75 cents on the dollar. In a big league, the team trading a star *always* has leverage, even if he's holding out, injured or overpaid. Nylander is *not* going to sit out the season. He's either going to get signed by Toronto or traded by Toronto. If we want him, we're still going to have to outbid every other team in the league.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
As long as our goalies are still Darling and Mrazek, I am opposed to any deal including Slavin or Pesce. Even if we added Nylander, we'd go from losing every game 3-2 to losing every game 5-4

And I'll go so far as to say I'm so opposed to it I'd much rather do something like Faulk + 2019 1st + 2019 2nd (Buffalo) for Nylander, and still be prepared to add a prospect, if need be.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Because there are 29 teams in the NHL that are *not* the Canes or the Leafs. If we hold fast on offering 50 cents on the dollar for Nylander, the Leafs can turn to any of those 29 teams and get 75 cents on the dollar. In a big league, the team trading a star *always* has leverage, even if he's holding out, injured or overpaid. Nylander is *not* going to sit out the season. He's either going to get signed by Toronto or traded by Toronto. If we want him, we're still going to have to outbid every other team in the league.
While true, there are quite a few teams that don't have the cap space for him, and then there are handfuls of teams that don't likely have the right type of assets to acquire him (either in strength of prospects or roster players). We are probably one of the few teams that has both cap space and solid assets available to trade. We still have to outbid other teams, but it's not 29, probably closer to 10 (and that 's not getting into if they're going to pull a Caps and refuse to trade in the same division)

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
As long as our goalies are still Darling and Mrazek, I am opposed to any deal including Slavin or Pesce. Even if we added Nylander, we'd go from losing every game 3-2 to losing every game 5-4

And I'll go so far as to say I'm so opposed to it I'd much rather do something like Faulk + 2019 1st + 2019 2nd (Buffalo) for Nylander, and still be prepared to add a prospect, if need be.

Grouping Slavin and Pesce together to make a bad point is disingenuous. Slavin isn't going anywhere. First of all, he's a LD, and we don't have depth there. Secondly, he's better than Pesce, and I suspect you know that. You grouped them together because your point doesn't work for Pesce, only Slavin.

Not to mention the fact that trading either of them is *not* going to cost us two goals a game. Your argument is purely based on passion and not at all on the facts as they currently stand.

And, speaking only about Pesce, you don't think you're overrating him just a bit saying that you'd rather have him than Faulk, two picks in the top 40 in next years draft *and* a prospect? If we were offered Justin Braun, No. 15 overall, No. 40 overall and a player in the AHL for Pesce, I would hope we'd take it before we even asked a scout.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
While true, there are quite a few teams that don't have the cap space for him, and then there are handfuls of teams that don't likely have the right type of assets to acquire him (either in strength of prospects or roster players). We are probably one of the few teams that has both cap space and solid assets available to trade. We still have to outbid other teams, but it's not 29, probably closer to 10 (and that 's not getting into if they're going to pull a Caps and refuse to trade in the same division)

Only takes 1 to keep us from getting our guy.

JCLA

Feb 23, 2017
Pesce is a good player but he is in no way untouchable when it could upgrade our offense. It'll hurt not having him but we have a dire need for more offense. It is much easier for us to fill the hole left by Pesce then it would be to find somebody from within that can put up the points like Nylander can.

Pesce is that perfect piece for us to move to upgrade the O how it needs to be upgraded where he is a very solid player on a very good contract.

Hurt to lose? Yes. Untouchable? No.

With how we need to improve our offense, it is not going to feel good with what we have to give up. But it is necessary.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Only takes 1 to keep us from getting our guy.

Only reason to send pesce is if the leafs allow teams to negotiate with nylander, and nylander reaches an agreement with multiple teams simultaneously, creating a bidding war.

But that's very unlikely to happen. Because if the leafs do that, but nylander accords with only one team, his value is shot. If teams have a chance to work put who they're bidding against, they can adjust accordingly.

This is partly why rfa holdouts get a slightly better package than what you'd get in an offer sheet.

2019 1st, jake bean, buff 2019 2nd. Most is swap out bean for 2020 1st. If they say no, cest la vie.

If/when nylander is traded, it'll be fast, and possibly without warning. This is why the canes putatively keep calling.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Grouping Slavin and Pesce together to make a bad point is disingenuous. Slavin isn't going anywhere. First of all, he's a LD, and we don't have depth there. Secondly, he's better than Pesce, and I suspect you know that. You grouped them together because your point doesn't work for Pesce, only Slavin.

Not to mention the fact that trading either of them is *not* going to cost us two goals a game. Your argument is purely based on passion and not at all on the facts as they currently stand.

And, speaking only about Pesce, you don't think you're overrating him just a bit saying that you'd rather have him than Faulk, two picks in the top 40 in next years draft *and* a prospect? If we were offered Justin Braun, No. 15 overall, No. 40 overall and a player in the AHL for Pesce, I would hope we'd take it before we even asked a scout.
Yeah, you can use whatever descriptors you want to try and discredit my comment, but it still won't help. If you don't think that trading away one of our best defensive defensemen will negatively impact our horrible goaltending situation, I don't know what to tell ya.

Slavin is better than Pesce. Everyone accepts that. Pesce is still incredibly valuable to this team not only for his quality of play, but also because he has an incredibly team friendly contract for the quality of minutes he plays. Slavin shuts down the opponent's top line. Pesce helps shut down the rest. Both are vitally important to this team, especially given just who is in net for us any given night. I think its foolish to say Pesce is expendable just because we want a little more scoring up front.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

If you think we are going to continue losing, why would you rather give up our 1st in a package than just one guy? If we are going to lose no matter what action we take for Nylander, you by all means keep your 1st round pick otherwise we are 2019's Ottawa Senators.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
If you think we are going to continue losing, why would you rather give up our 1st in a package than just one guy? If we are going to lose no matter what action we take for Nylander, you by all means keep your 1st round pick otherwise we are 2019's Ottawa Senators.
I think Nylander in Faulk out will actually help our on-ice play, and our core will be to the point where I'd be willing to sacrifice our 1st this year to move forward. Nylander for Pesce would be one of those 'fill one hole by creating another' situations where we would still need to solve goalie before our current team would be ok.

That is, I have more faith in the defense if we were trying to backfill Faulk rather than Pesce.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad