The Official Horrible Trade Proposals Thread: Part 3, Still Drinking...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Unless someone like Adam Fox or Luke Martin is ready to instantly take Brett Pesces spot, I'm very iffy on making that deal. That's one I feel like we would regret in the long run.

This is how I lean. I would absolutely love to have Nylander but his contract would seriously hurt with Aho, Turbo, and Ferland needing to be signed next year. We would also really be missing Pesce's value contract when Necas and Svech are due for raises.

And that's not even factoring in what Pesce actually brings to the team.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Unless someone like Adam Fox or Luke Martin is ready to instantly take Brett Pesces spot, I'm very iffy on making that deal. That's one I feel like we would regret in the long run.
I think we regret a one to one deal of Pesce for Nylander, let alone one where we give up so many other assets. I think Matthews carries him more than we give credit. Look at how productive Kapanen has become just by playing on his wing. Pesce for Nylander could end up being a Hall for Larsson, where Nylander is the Larsson.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
I think we regret a one to one deal of Pesce for Nylander, let alone one where we give up so many other assets. I think Matthews carries him more than we give credit. Look at how productive Kapanen has become just by playing on his wing. Pesce for Nylander could end up being a Hall for Larsson, where Nylander is the Larsson.

Absolutely. Only way I even begin to consider the trade is 1-for-1; if anyone needs to add it's TML. Reading through the trade rumor thread about Pesce it's clear most haven't watched him play at all.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
But would you prefer to have Nylander at 7+x5 or Ferland at 4.5x5?

Does Ferland only get $4.5 million after finishing the year with 60+ points playing a physical game? Maybe chemistry eventually breaks but as long as Ferland is with Aho he is going to be accumulating points.

I’d like both personally. I’m intrigued by how good Nylander can eventually be and $7 million is a pretty low bar for Aho.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Does Ferland only get $4.5 million after finishing the year with 60+ points playing a physical game? Maybe chemistry eventually breaks but as long as Ferland is with Aho he is going to be accumulating points.
Well, he was with Monahan and Gaudreau but there's no evidence that he's more than 40 pts winger with physical game. I'd love to keep Ferland for next few years though, he's what we lack as a presence but i'm not sure i want to give long contract to TT. I'd replace Turbo with Nylander easily. Ferland-Aho-Nylander is legit first line, then you have two of the best prospect in Necas/Svech for more support to that line. I don't see why we couldn't afford Nylander contract. We should move Rask in the summer, Faulk is not long term answer here, so we could afford Aho and Nylander.

Ferland may be better fit but he's not better player. We need world class talent more than anything.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Doubtful, and yeah if he doesn't come down to earth a decent bit probably add another million to that contract. Still, 5.5 for Ferland (assuming 50+ point season) vs 7+ for Nylander. I dunno I'd still take the Ferland deal with what he does to free up Aho-Turbo to do their thing and contribute to it. There's still questions on if Nylander can be the guy to drive his line. We know Ferland's not that guy but we do know he's a damn good glue guy.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I prefer to have Nylander in next five year than Ferland lol.
I think almost any sane hockey fan would, but that's not really the decision. It's more like Nylander at 7-8 long term - Pesce vs. Ferland at 5-6 long term + Pesce.

Prospects Adam Fox, Luke Martin, Roland McKeown etc to me are backup plans for Hamilton/Faulk/TVR leaving, not Pesce. After Aho, Slavin, and Svechnikov, Pesce is the next guy I'd hate to lose most.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Anyone wonder if the braintrust makes another run at Saad for Faulk? Saad might be able to mesh well with Necas. With Saad being a healthy extra, you’d have to think CHI may no longer balk. Who knows though, Saad at his current level for $6M a year kinda makes one iffy...

He is brutal and scores sort of like Ferland, correct? if so yes please.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Ferland may be better fit but he's not better player. We need world class talent more than anything.

Then Teravainen needs to stay. Here is the list of players born since 1980 who have 25 or more points in the U20 World Championships: Alexander Nylander, Jordan Schroeder, Jordan Eberle, Evgeny Kuznetsov, Nikita Filatov, Brayden Schenn, Henrik Sedin, Teuvo Teravainen, Alexander Ovechkin, Daniel Sedin, Evgeni Malkin, Ryan Ellis.

If you take out 1990 birth year (Schroeder, Eberle, Filatov--the tournament must have had no defense for a couple years), the list is truly "world-class talent." Nothing against Ferland, but TT is the much better offensive player.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Nylander at 7x5.

Not me. We need jam and grit more than a finesse guy who may not be a good fit here.

Our C need is a *this year need* and not a long-term need.

There's no way Aho is going back to the wing. Staal's not going anywhere. Moving Necas to the wing in any permanent sense is a repeat of that thing with Lindholm where everyone but "overrated hockey genius Bill Peters" knew his game was better suited to the pivot and misutilization ultimately probably hurt his development as much as being rushed to the NHL.

We have our C answers in-house. I know patience isn't in vogue...but please let us not f*** up our future by moving valuable pieces to bring in a shiny new toy that doesn't help us all that much past the next two years.

If we need a top-9 C amd more offensive firepower to improve this year, go hunting for a quality late-career vet (cheaper) who can contribute now and retire when the kids develop more.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
As much i like Nylander, i don't want to trade Pesce. I guess will happen though. Dundon probably want big splash.
Like some other people have pointed out, I would probably do Nylander for Pesce (and even add like some Leaf fans insist on) if Nylander was more proven at center AND if Aho didn't emerge as center. But he's not proven at center and Aho is emerging as a top line center. He's probably not worth what he is asking long term as a winger, and even if he played center, a budget team most likely can't afford 20+ million dollars for 3 centers.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Not me. We need jam and grit more than a finesse guy who may not be a good fit here.

Our C need is a *this year need* and not a long-term need.

There's no way Aho is going back to the wing. Staal's not going anywhere. Moving Necas to the wing in any permanent sense is a repeat of that thing with Lindholm where everyone but "overrated hockey genius Bill Peters" knew his game was better suited to the pivot and misutilization ultimately probably hurt his development as much as being rushed to the NHL.

We have our C answers in-house. I know patience isn't in vogue...but please let us not **** up our future by moving valuable pieces to bring in a shiny new toy that doesn't help us all that much past the next two years.

If we need a top-9 C amd more offensive firepower to improve this year, go hunting for a quality late-career vet (cheaper) who can contribute now and retire when the kids develop more.

I don't view it as Nylander as a C. I'd take him for 7x5 at wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad