Music: The Official Hip-Hop Thread: Part VIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
Trey way the best thing to yell at strangers while drunk. It's the new kumbaya.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Em's on track to sell over 400k first week with Kamikaze. No hype or promos, coming off his worst album ever (imo). So much for being irrelevant today.

Reactions: YNWA14

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Why is it surprising that the most famous white rapper of all time is still selling when G-Eazy is doing numbers nowadays?

This is the era Dre prophesized. If SSLP dropped today it would go platinum off streams in a day.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Why is it surprising that the most famous white rapper of all time is still selling when G-Eazy is doing numbers nowadays?

This is the era Dre prophesized. If SSLP dropped today it would go platinum off streams in a day.
people were convinced he was irrelevant and done after Revival, not to mention they thought he cut off a large chunk of his fan base when he "drew the line in the sand."

officially 411k sales, 250k pure (second only to Astroworld this year), 71st biggest first week in hip-hop of all time. All that with no hype whatsoever. Over 140k than Revival did, which had pop features, marketing, hype, radio songs, etc... insane.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Em's on track to sell over 400k first week with Kamikaze. No hype or promos, coming off his worst album ever (imo). So much for being irrelevant today.

Eh, he's pretty irrelevant. According to the RIAA, The Eagles' Their Greatest Hits: 1971-1975 recently passed Thriller as the best selling record of all time, having sold more than 9 million units in the last 12 years. Has more to do with record-buying demographics than actual current influence. Eminem's career bonanza was more than 15 years ago, and much of his core fanbase is probably closer to (or older than) 40 than they are to 18 or 20. Different generations consume differently.

Not even the best today can do what he does when he’s manipulating words and rhyming like he does in that track.

Maybe, he does rap quite fast and occasionally stuffs some double entendres in there. There's bad rappers capable of rapping very fast (MGK, Yelawolf) and there's good rappers capable of rapping very fast and smart (Kendrick, Gibbs) who just don't really flex those muscles often. It's a skill, it's just not really a well-loved sound these days. Eminem just kinda points it out more with the way he shout-emphasizes all his alliterations and rhymes.

He's technically a very good rapper, I'm not saying otherwise, but his persona always turned a ton of people off and it hasn't evolved that much, and "lots of words fast" isn't really ~the wave~.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
His persona is part of what makes him so popular. He's also a throwback to before people were always trying to please everyone.

Claiming his explosion with Kamikaze is down to consumption is lazy. Music is mostly consumed in the same ways for all artists today.

This album sold like crazy because it's great. It surprised people and the content has people on the edge of their seats waiting for more to see how this beef with the industry progresses.

Also he's right about most of the stuff he said in it.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Still love the fact people think 69 legitimately thinks he could handle Em. He knows himself he couldn't, but it's just the fact he said he'd go at Em that gets people so upset, and this is why I love 69. 69 literally made fun of his own song Fefe and wondered how the **** anyone liked it from what he was saying. Dude is a master troll and a master at knowing what works best. He's not here for BARS or lyricism.
The fact that you think being a troll equates to tolerable hip hop music is the sad thing.

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
New 6ix9ine sounds like a revamped Computers. Excited for it to drop.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Is "I Love It" vs. "Rack City" a thing for similarities between the two songs? Jumped out at me immediately but I can't find much on it online.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Wow, Em's interview with Sway (part 1) he says he thinks Encore is better than Relapse and when he went back to listen to Relapse he lost his mind at how many accents he was using and didn't realize how many he was using at the time.

That sucks, he's underrating his own album when it's legit his most underrated album imo. I mean... I get it with the accents, but the lyricism and flows and word manipulation on that album were crazy. I could have done without Crack A Bottle and Insane, but for the most part I really liked Relapse. More so than Recovery.

oh man part 2 looking nuts... touches on Budden and MGK... give me part 2 right now

Last edited:
Reactions: Mach85

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Wow, Em's interview with Sway (part 1) he says he thinks Encore is better than Relapse and when he went back to listen to Relapse he lost his mind at how many accents he was using and didn't realize how many he was using at the time.

That sucks, he's underrating his own album when it's legit his most underrated album imo. I mean... I get it with the accents, but the lyricism and flows and word manipulation on that album were crazy. I could have done without Crack A Bottle and Insane, but for the most part I really liked Relapse. More so than Recovery.

oh man part 2 looking nuts... touches on Budden and MGK... give me part 2 right now
I agree that Relapse is better than Encore (I put Relapse just below the big three), but if the leak hadn't happened Encore would look VERY different. Em decided to record replacement tracks over like a weekend while f***ed up, which brought us the likes of My First Single and Big Weenie. Meanwhile, Love You More, We As Americans, and Ricky Ticky Tock were relegated to bonus tracks. Let's take out the replacement tracks and put in the leaked ones, which leaves us with this tracklist (skits excluded):

Evil Deeds
Never Enough
Yellow Brick Road
Like Toy Soldiers
Mosh
We As Americans
Rain Man
Just Lose It
Ass Like That (leaving this one in because I'm not sure if it was one of the later recorded ones or not)
Ricky Ticky Tock
Love You More
Spend Some Time
Mockingbird
Crazy in Love
One Shot 2 Shot" (featuring D12)
Encore / Curtains Down

That's actually pretty solid, even if I still prefer Relapse.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
yeah I know that stuff, Encore has classics on there that show you what direction it was going in until the leaks and his last minute recordings (I think it was literally a few hours before they had to get the album in) and he was high out of his mind. I think I remember him telling the story of being f***ed up, in a hotel room and writing and recording that shit in a rush within the span of a few hours. It was awful.

The classics on there tho... Like Toy Soldiers, Yellow Brick Road... god damn. We As Americans on there would have been amazing, I liked Mosh and was okay with Evil Deeds (they're not classics). I haven't gone back and listened to anything else in a long ass time. Oh yeah Mockingbird was also nice.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Also, I think someone or something is trying to kill Post Malone or something. How many incidents are we going to chalk up as “bad luck” for him. This is bordering on creepy now.

-Been in an emergency plane landing
- Been in a car crash.
- Lost a good friend (Mac).
- Been the target of a home invasion.

I’m not one for conspiracy theories but this is getting weird.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
yeah I know that stuff, Encore has classics on there that show you what direction it was going in until the leaks and his last minute recordings (I think it was literally a few hours before they had to get the album in) and he was high out of his mind. I think I remember him telling the story of being ****ed up, in a hotel room and writing and recording that **** in a rush within the span of a few hours. It was awful.

The classics on there tho... Like Toy Soldiers, Yellow Brick Road... god damn. We As Americans on there would have been amazing, I liked Mosh and was okay with Evil Deeds (they're not classics). I haven't gone back and listened to anything else in a long ass time. Oh yeah Mockingbird was also nice.
It's funny because since Kamikaze came out I went back and relistened to all of his albums, made a 'best of' list and I also gave Revival a chance.

A few things I learned were interesting.

1) Kamikaze actually rates pretty highly for me against his old stuff. It might even be my 2nd favourite album after The Eminem Show for its pure listenability (I know that's not a word).

2) Revival is better than given credit for (I guess you could argue that about a bunch of his albums). He touches on it in the interview but I really think what people expected and the different sound turned a lot of people off initially (myself included). Going back and listening to it though it has some really good tracks; I can't help but think in 5-10 years Untouchable will be looked on in a much more favourable light, it's a really powerful song.

3) He needs to do some more features because he does so, so well on them.

4) Em's evolution as a rapper is actually crazy. I can't wait for part 2 of the interview.

Just for fun here's what I came up with personally.

1 - The Eminem Show
2 - The Marshall Mathers LP
3 - Encore
4 - Kamikaze
5 - The Slim Shady LP
6 - The Marshall Mathers LP 2
7 - Recovery
8 - Revival
9 - Infinite
10 - Relapse

Revival could go up for me. The more I listen to it the more I like it. Keep in mind I don't think that he has a bad album; I like them all. This is just how I like them in order now for content and how easy they are to listen to.

Reactions: Mach85

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
It's funny because since Kamikaze came out I went back and relistened to all of his albums, made a 'best of' list and I also gave Revival a chance.

A few things I learned were interesting.

1) Kamikaze actually rates pretty highly for me against his old stuff. It might even be my 2nd favourite album after The Eminem Show for its pure listenability (I know that's not a word).

2) Revival is better than given credit for (I guess you could argue that about a bunch of his albums). He touches on it in the interview but I really think what people expected and the different sound turned a lot of people off initially (myself included). Going back and listening to it though it has some really good tracks; I can't help but think in 5-10 years Untouchable will be looked on in a much more favourable light, it's a really powerful song.

3) He needs to do some more features because he does so, so well on them.

4) Em's evolution as a rapper is actually crazy. I can't wait for part 2 of the interview.

Just for fun here's what I came up with personally.

1 - The Eminem Show
2 - The Marshall Mathers LP
3 - Encore
4 - Kamikaze
5 - The Slim Shady LP
6 - The Marshall Mathers LP 2
7 - Recovery
8 - Revival
9 - Infinite
10 - Relapse

Revival could go up for me. The more I listen to it the more I like it. Keep in mind I don't think that he has a bad album; I like them all. This is just how I like them in order now for content and how easy they are to listen to.

This is my list, and I'm not gonna include Infinite just because it was before the Slim Shady persona and when he'd honed what he'd wanted to be as a rapper (although it's a solid album in retrospect).

1a- The Eminem Show
1b - MMLP
I can go either way on these two, but TES is IMO the era when his flow was at its peak (his stuff on Devil's Night and the 8 Mile soundtrack was Eminem at his absolute best, for that matter). He handled most of the production himself here, and it was an intensely personal album. Even the cut song, Stimulate, would have been one of the best songs on the album.
3 - SSLP
4 - Relapse
5 - MMLP2
6 - Kamikaze
7 - Recovery
8 - Encore
9 - Revival (I liked this more than others. It was far from his best and was his most flawed album, reflected by its ranking, but when it gets called "trash" it's total hyperbole)

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
yeah I know that stuff, Encore has classics on there that show you what direction it was going in until the leaks and his last minute recordings (I think it was literally a few hours before they had to get the album in) and he was high out of his mind. I think I remember him telling the story of being ****ed up, in a hotel room and writing and recording that **** in a rush within the span of a few hours. It was awful.

I like Spend Some Time too and Encore/Curtains Down too. Like Toy Soldiers is one my favorite Em songs.

1. The Eminem Show
2. Marshall Mathers LP
3. Marshall Mathers LP 2
4. Slim Shady LP
5. Encore
6. Recovery
7. Kamikaze
8. Relapse
9. Revival

Not including Infinite. I love the title track but don't think I ever actually sat down and listened to the whole album.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
part 2 of the Em interview was real good.

Em legit saying his feelings were hurt when the first Slaughterhouse album didn't do well is crazy to me considering I was so used to him not giving a damn up until this whole Revival backlash and now this interview where he's being super, super real. It's honestly really cool to see and listen to this Em though.

LOL at Em going off on MGK claiming that Em blocked MGK from blowing up, Em straight up said he doesn't give a damn about MGK or his career lmao. Em straight up acknowledges that there's instances where he feels like he has to respond to someone, but considering how people claim Em is irrelevant, every time he responds to someone he makes them even bigger. Em on "Rap Devil": "It's not bad... for him. It has some good lines." lol

oh f*** there's a part 3. And Em said Dre didn't want a song out cause Em apparently went too far, which Em even acknowledges. wtf is that track I need it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad