OT: The Official HF Bolts Stanley Cup Thread - Get your Cup Avatars here! (Post #65)

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
What level of subsidiarity is appropriate? At what level do we determine when to start caring about other people? NHL? Local? State? CDC?

If the NHL has rules in place that extend beyond the bubble, then they can act. It could open the league up to liability, and threaten their business, so I do think they have an argument.

The time from the guys leaving the bubble to the start of free agency is less than a 14-day quarantine. There will be NHL teams signing guys with COVID on Oct 9th.

It's time to get out the house bud. We aren't on lockdown anymore, you're allowed to go out in public and interact with other people. Not sure how going to a celebration means you don't care about other people?

How could the NHL impose any rules on players when they leave the bubble? The bubble is done its not a thing anymore, the NHL has no control over the players anymore. How are they liable for what happens in the real world? Players are most likely not doing any in person meetings prior to free agency so there will be no contact with them. If a team signs a player with Covid what does that matter?

Reactions: Shoresy Snipes

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
It's time to get out the house bud. We aren't on lockdown anymore, you're allowed to go out in public and interact with other people. Not sure how going to a celebration means you don't care about other people?

How could the NHL impose any rules on players when they leave the bubble? The bubble is done its not a thing anymore, the NHL has no control over the players anymore. How are they liable for what happens in the real world? Players are most likely not doing any in person meetings prior to free agency so there will be no contact with them. If a team signs a player with Covid what does that matter?
If the NHL decides it's a thing, it's a thing. These guys are under contract to NHL teams, and they need the machinery working in order to start next season on time. This time exists. The NHL is a business and would theoretically be able to intervene on its teams and players actions.

Long term effects of COVID are showing themselves to be a real concern, and teams have no idea what grab bag of issues a guy could have now. COVID isn't less serious of a virus.

As for caring, if the teams and league don't, then whose burden is it to acknowledge other people exist? If we're going with 'the NHL is a business and should act without empathy or human remorse', then having a potential team sanctioned superspreader event, goaded on by its players, can't be making the legal department feel good.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
If the NHL decides it's a thing, it's a thing. These guys are under contract to NHL teams, and they need the machinery working in order to start next season on time. This time exists. The NHL is a business and would theoretically be able to intervene on its teams and players actions.

Long term effects of COVID are showing themselves to be a real concern, and teams have no idea what grab bag of issues a guy could have now. COVID isn't less serious of a virus.

As for caring, if the teams and league don't, then whose burden is it to acknowledge other people exist? If we're going with 'the NHL is a business and should act without empathy or human remorse', then having a potential team sanctioned superspreader event, goaded on by its players, can't be making the legal department feel good.

The NHL can't decide how you live your life. A lot of players live in Europe and they're having a second wave. Are they not allowed to go home because they may get Covid there?

If people are so concerned about getting Covid then don't go to the "superspreader" event. If you went to this event then don't go visit your grandma the next couple of days. It's common sense, the NHL shouldn't have to concern themselves what people do with their everyday lives. There could be more people with Covid at the local grocery store then were at the celebration. Should the NHL send its legal team to the Publix Kucherov buys his groceries from and make sure all the employees and customers don't have Covid?

Do you live in Florida? There's football games going on with thousands of fans in the stands. There's softball, soccer and baseball tournaments all over the state with large gatherings of kids and adults. The theme parks aren't as busy as usual but still thousands packed in there every day. I'm not sure what you think is going on and what the NHL can do about it but this thing isn't really a thing here.

Reactions: Shoresy Snipes

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
tenor.gif
Someday, when Webster creates a dictionary of visuals, this will be the definition of "steroids."

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
The NHL can't decide how you live your life. A lot of players live in Europe and they're having a second wave. Are they not allowed to go home because they may get Covid there?

If people are so concerned about getting Covid then don't go to the "superspreader" event. If you went to this event then don't go visit your grandma the next couple of days. It's common sense, the NHL shouldn't have to concern themselves what people do with their everyday lives. There could be more people with Covid at the local grocery store then were at the celebration. Should the NHL send its legal team to the Publix Kucherov buys his groceries from and make sure all the employees and customers don't have Covid?

Do you live in Florida? There's football games going on with thousands of fans in the stands. There's softball, soccer and baseball tournaments all over the state with large gatherings of kids and adults. The theme parks aren't as busy as usual but still thousands packed in there every day. I'm not sure what you think is going on and what the NHL can do about it but this thing isn't really a thing here.
I live in Florida. People are undisciplined or don't care and are fed conflicting information constantly.

Publix and Walmart have mask policies, even if there's no local policy. That would normally be a level of subsidiarity for those counties & states, just turned over to corporations. The decision is getting made somewhere. It's just a matter of figuring out what level of the hierarchy is most appropriate.

I think league/corporate level.

Reactions: Major4Boarding

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
In today's Tampa Bay Times sports section

EjfMWwEXgAYGuxB

EjfMYkDXgAAIzXN

EjfMZ_YXkAEebnN

I haven't been able to find anything in Canada :(

No good pics in the news paper, no magazines with the boys on the cover... its a shame.

Hoping SI at least does a cover or something, they did one for Washington and the Blues...

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
I haven't been able to find anything in Canada :(

No good pics in the news paper, no magazines with the boys on the cover... its a shame.

Hoping SI at least does a cover or something, they did one for Washington and the Blues...
I feel like Stammer holding the cup on the front page on all of Toronto's most popular newspapers wouldn't go over too well haha.

For those living in Tampa, I'd definitely grab one now while you can and get it framed. It'll be a cool thing to look back on years from now.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I feel like Stammer holding the cup on the front page on all of Toronto's most popular newspapers wouldn't go over too well haha.

For those living in Tampa, I'd definitely grab one now while you can and get it framed. It'll be a cool thing to look back on years from now.
To remember a time when they had physical newspapers.

Because the cup ain't leaving.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
One week ago tonight we won, still brings a big smile to my face and I still haven't stopped sending photos to my buddies who are not Tampa fans :laugh:

All in good fun

Reactions: Peacefool

Peacefool

Nov 15, 2019
One week ago tonight we won, still brings a big smile to my face and I still haven't stopped sending photos to my buddies who are not Tampa fans :laugh:

All in good fun
I still haven't come back to real world on Internet. I mean normally,I read some news,some politic forums trying to catch up what's going on in the world and countries,now,all week it was basically only Tampas hfboard here and looking for some YouTube videos of us winning games and cup and celebrating. I still have those chills on my skin. On Friday ill be back home so I will get hammered and rematch celebrations and last 4 minutes of game 6 in SCF :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad