Vote for your favorite

• Total voters

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I love those uni's

It's a f***ing travesty we don't wear those. They'd be arguably the nicest kits in the league. The ones they currently wear suck through and through. The Flames, Kings, Caps, Coyotes, and Ducks all need to go back to their older jerseys because all of their current ones are trash.

D3435wJXsAIxXhE.jpg

32db03a9703565cfdc700b09418208db--la-kings-hockey-old-king.jpg

ap_66f737967692f30a6f0f6a70670002a7.jpg

636677941098316323-AP-MIGHTY-DUCKS-AVALANCHE.JPG

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Disagreed 100% about the jerseys. Caps alternates are super boring. Mediocre throwbacks to an era of Capitals hockey where the team did nothing noteworthy. I'd much rather the team have an actual alternate jersey. And in no world should those alternates replace the main sweaters.

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
It's a ****ing travesty we don't wear those. They'd be arguably the nicest kits in the league. The ones they currently wear suck through and through. The Flames, Kings, Caps, Coyotes, and Ducks all need to go back to their older jerseys

Strongly agree!! It doesn't matter a whiff the Caps had rough years (that's on the NHL for setting them up to fail with the poor Expansion Draft) - in fact the simple reality the Caps survived means that original design should be embraced with the highest level of pride (are you listening Ted?).

Many Original Six teams had very bad years and never abandoned their heritage for some focused-grouped design.

Tradition is very important in hockey (here in London, Ontario and also in DC)- wearing the classics like many teams do keeps that lineage (Flyers and Islanders get that very well, and Blues are close - Kings and Canucks need to get it and go back to their originals too).

We can have the thirds for the creative ones (rotate the Stadium Series, the current, the screaming eagle, and even new designs!). You do realize that the original home white "with too many stars" is based off Montreal's classic white? Very close, and the red is the inverse.

I will also add, in case Ted is listening, they need to do the throwbacks correctly - they should have the logo letters individual larger and sewn on directly. Also, they need to tweak the yoke on the Adidas template - its too wide. The Adidas template was altered for the Flyers shoulder/arm stripe, which is properly narrow. Can be done with the Caps - don't cheap out - do it right!!

The League or Adidas wanted the Blackhawks to use a twill crest instead of the more costly and labour intensive chain-stiched classic with the change to Adidas to save cost. The Hawks said no, do it right. Caps should too.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
The Weagle might be the greatest thing in sports sleeve history and instead of building a 3rd jersey around it many want to ditch it completely

Reactions: Hivemind

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
The nice thing about rotating a bunch of 3rds is you can make everyone who likes the later designs happy too. They could make a killing selling proper original-spec throwbacks and then a range of 3rd's always available. I, of course, would only buy the Made In Canada on-ice-quality ones, not the fake "Authentics" from Indonesia.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Disagreed 100% about the jerseys. Caps alternates are super boring. Mediocre throwbacks to an era of Capitals hockey where the team did nothing noteworthy. I'd much rather the team have an actual alternate jersey. And in no world should those alternates replace the main sweaters.

What in the world do you like about the current jerseys over the alternate jerseys? The ones they have now are dreadful.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
The throw back red sweaters are awesome and the best look we have ever had. What we have now are much better than those awful flying eagle things. Although the home whites could use an adjustment, I don’t want to see an overall change.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

capsdom86

May 28, 2015
Agree, the 3rd jerseys are the best (I have two , ovechkin and oshie) but the regulars will forever be associated with winning the cup so don't ever want to change those either!

And may the gold (or copper) and black stay banished forever

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
What in the world do you like about the current jerseys over the alternate jerseys? The ones they have now are dreadful.
The Weagle is awesome. The current jerseys aren't loaded with a bunch of random stars down the sleeves (or more importantly the pants legs). The shade of blue doesn't clash as obnoxiously (two primary colors!?! hard thumbs down). The piping looks great. And the current road whites are the best in the league.

The 70s jerseys look like awful 70s jerseys. The current jerseys took that general aesthetic and updated it to not be filled with terrible 70s jersey features.

That being said, I would like the retro jerseys more if they got rid of the pants. The pants are f***ing hideous.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
The Weagle is awesome. The current jerseys aren't loaded with a bunch of random stars down the sleeves (or more importantly the pants legs). The shade of blue doesn't clash as obnoxiously (two primary colors!?! hard thumbs down). The piping looks great. And the current road whites are the best in the league.

The 70s jerseys look like awful 70s jerseys. The current jerseys took that general aesthetic and updated it to not be filled with terrible 70s jersey features.

That being said, I would like the retro jerseys more if they got rid of the pants. The pants are ****ing hideous.

Finally someone else points out how great their current road whites are! 100% prefer them to any other jersey in team history.

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
The stars everywhere are among the worst elements of 70s designs. Just tacky.

Hivemind, you are portraying yourself as not well informed of the history NHL jersey aesthetics. "Stars everywhere" and word logos are as deep in original jersey history as the Habs "C" logo, the Leaf and others. To say its from the 70's is just wrong. Sit tight a moment...

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I don't care if that's part of NHL history (nor did I say it wasn't). Stars everywhere is ugly. It's like something a 6 year old would draw for a jersey.

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
I don't care if that's part of NHL history (nor did I say it wasn't). Stars everywhere is ugly. It's like something a 6 year old would draw for a jersey.

You are entitled to not like them, but please don't make false proclamations about their aesthetic origin, and respect that lots of people like them.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
You are entitled to not like them, but please don't make false proclamations about their aesthetic origin, and respect that lots of people like them.
??

It's a 70's jersey. It originates in the 70s. Just because there are other jerseys that have stars on them or use the colors of the US flag doesn't mean those aesthetics are generally from an earlier time. Calling it a 70s aesthetic isn't a "false proclamation," because (well) the jersey was made in the 1970s and generally fit with the style of jerseys being worn across all sports in the 1970s. Bold primary colors and horizontal stripes were to the 70s as gradient jerseys were to the 90s and black jerseys were to the early 2000s.

And it's a conversation. People can have differing views. Talking about how I think the jerseys are ugly is no different than others talking about how they dislike the current jerseys.

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
??

It's a 70's jersey. It originates in the 70s.

And it's a conversation. People can have differing views. Talking about how I think the jerseys are ugly is no different than others talking about how they dislike the current jerseys.

Yes, its is a good discussion. I get your point that it comes out of a period with some pretty tacky aesthetics and on some level seems share some of that (I would suggest the font is the most 70s part), but I'm hoping everyone sees the connection to designs that are are older and generally considered classic.

And everyone is free to like whichever ones they prefer. Go Caps!!

Reactions: Hivemind

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
As much as I love our road whites, it does amaze me that in the era of color TVs we've stuck with the color/white convention for as long as we have. Sweden has the right idea with Yellow & Blue jerseys (just wear whichever doesn't match your opponent). Surprised we haven't seen more push for allowing colored road jerseys yet.

edit; Although I suppose you have to avoid the issues with color blindness that the NFL's color rush game had. LOOK: Bills-Jets game is complete torture for color-blind people

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad