The Official Caps Uni Thread

Vote for your favorite

• Total voters

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The old jerseys for many teams had a "f*** you, this is hockey" charm to them. The entire idea was to be big, bold, thematic, colorful, and easily identifiable from a distance. There is a certain Joie de vivre spirit to them, especially in the 70s when fashion was basically anything goes. It was fun, and the violence that came with it made it ironic and special.

Modern unis/kits in general are more geared toward "what can I get an edgy teenager or casual fan to actually buy and wear and not feel like a tool in a room full of people wearing NBA/NFL gear?" They're usually safe, sterile, and fairly conservative in design. Remember when every sports team had to develop a black jersey so musicians would put them in videos, and people would wear them in public again? The modern jersey just adds a bit of color and traditional team identity to that marketing mission.

But let's be honest. We're talking about bearded men on ice skates fighting over a black chunk of rubber while calling each other shit like "Chicken Parm" and "___y".

It's hockey, not a job interview.

Give me the retro look any day.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Love the Stadium Series jersey and the other mock-ups you posted are great, but I thought jerseys with stars on them look like they've been designed by 6-year olds? :sarcasm:

I wish the Blue mock-ups didn't have the sleeve stars, that's for sure. I think the stars on the tan mock-up are done tastefully (a very intentional and subtle nod to the DC flag, similar to the three stars in the Capitals logo). I think throwing stars willy-nilly all over the sweater and pants is what looks like a 6 year-old. 3 stars vs 24 stars is a pretty big difference.

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
Gotta say I love the original jerseys best. Hated the late 90s ones. Current sets Im pretty neutral on.

Original was the uni when I became a fan. Also love that they wore them during the season they won the cup.

Also who cares about having 2 primary colors together? It's USA colors fitting a theme in the nations Capital. Not that I'm over the top patriotic but it makes perfect sense. Same with the Bullets/Wiz and Nats

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

RVACapsFan

May 31, 2018
I like everything about the current unis except for the font of the numbers...always thought it was kind of cheesy and doesn’t mesh with the rest of the uniform. Definitely not opposed to wearing the throwbacks with the stars several times a year though. Would also like to see the white away throwbacks brought back some as well.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Jefferson

May 20, 2018
Am I the only one who thought the Retro Whites looked best with the red helmets? That was cool I thought while it lasted

kcmaop

Apr 29, 2009
I know there is plenty of history with the wordmark, but, compared to the Weagle, it sucks. So many feel the Weagle is among the best logos in all of sport. Why won't they ever use it as their main logo on their jersey?

member 303789

Glad the Weagle is in the family. Maybe an alternate sweater some day, maybe.

Reactions: kcmaop

Foots

ALL OURS
May 5, 2018
I prefer the wordmark logo on the jersey instead of the weagle. Something about it just works.

Reactions: Corby78

Grudy0

Mar 16, 2011
Maryland
I think back to last year's All-Star game.

The Rangers had their shield on their jersey. I'd think if the Caps had the Weagle that may have literally been the highest selling of the All-Star jerseys last season.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
The Weagle is an ideal secondary logo, but I'm not sure how it would look as a crest logo. Color me skeptical on that one. It's like the old Colorado Avalanche yeti foot. Perfect for the shoulders.

I like the weagle, but it’s not the original. And now it’s not what we wore when we won the cup.’ Third jersey sure.
Huh? They were wearing standard road whites when they won the Cup, with the Weagle right there on the shoulder.

cut.jpg

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
The Weagle is an ideal secondary logo, but I'm not sure how it would look as a crest logo. Color me skeptical on that one. It's like the old Colorado Avalanche yeti foot. Perfect for the shoulders.

Huh? They were wearing standard road whites when they won the Cup, with the Weagle right there on the shoulder.

cut.jpg

The weagle was not the main logo on their chest. The question was not should it be in their shoulder, but the main logo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad