THE OFFICIAL BUYOUT THREAD: Bourque or Kaberle?

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com
well here's how I see it:

Let's assume Subban gets 5 mil, that would put us @ 69,3 for this season.

Now comes next summer, unless we've traded him away, we'll have no other choice than to buyout Gomer, which I think we both agree, so that would put us @ 62 mil, BUT we'll need to replace him. Gally probably makes the team then. Now, does his bonus count on the cap or do teams still have the cushion? Because without the cushion, that's 3,2 you have to add, and that's without Desharnais's new contract. So we would be at 64,4 with DD to sign and the cap will be 64,3.

See what I mean?

For all intent and purposes, we can't really judge on the first half the AHL season for players like Tinordi and Gallagher. Both might be ready next year to make the jump.

We also have a few UFAs who we might replace with rookies a minimal salaries.
Armstrong
Nokelainen
Bouillon
Weber (RFA)
Budaj

That could make a little extra room.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Armstrong
Nokelainen
Bouillon
Weber (RFA)
Budaj

The sooner Bouillon and Armstrong are no longer Habs the happier I will be.

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
Armstrong
Nokelainen
Bouillon
Weber (RFA)
Budaj

You have to get roster players to replace them, who will also be in the .5-1.5M range like they are the amount of space gained is minimal.

I'm pretty sure the bonus cushion remains so Galchenyuk is going to be effectively a .9M dollar player on the cap next year even if he's technically a ~3M cap player.

Compliance buyouts means the Habs will likely have all the space they need for current players but they won't be in a position to add significant salary until summer 2014.

It would be nice if Bourque bounces back to a facsimile of what he once was, but I fear he may not be even an NHL calibre player in 2 years. His decline over the past 2 seasons has been steep.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
The sooner Bouillon and Armstrong are no longer Habs the happier I will be.
That said - and echoed - I remember them at their peaks... just imagining... well, dreaming in technicolore... if we got those guys throwing what weight they have around with their peak efficacity... it would amplify fun factor for the team, for sure.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Touche. Been a while since I've studied the Hab cap hit thoroughly. I can't see Desharnais demanding too much but of course, Subban makes the cap unknown right now. It seems Bourque is the better option given contract length and less attractive alternatives to slot in for Kaberle right now.

I think DD can ask for something like 3-4 mill if he puts up 35-45 pts this season, to go with good numbers last year. With 60 points he was 56th in the league tied with Corey Perry and Milan Michalek. If he can prove that he has consistency(yes I know 2 years isn't a great sample). Because he is RFA, I will say it will be closer to 3, but if can be even better this year, who knows.

DD's cap hit shouldn't be shrugged off.

Last edited:

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
I think you are forgetting that Desharnais has arbitration rights and he's a UFA in the summer of 2014. He'll easily be a 4 M player in 2013-14 if he posts something similar to his 0.74 PPG of 2011-12. Maybe even 4.5 M. And on a long-term deal, he'll be in position to ask 5M+. Look at the hilarious contract Grabovski signed last winter.

Which is why the Habs absolutely need to evaluate what he can do with some other wingers to see if he's this good or a product of Pacioretty and Cole. And also why I fully expect a trade of Plekanec or Desharnais within the next 12-18 months, you can't have 2 C's making that type of $ when neither is a #1 C and you have a stud center prospect who'll be ready at some point.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I think you are forgetting that Desharnais has arbitration rights and he's a UFA in the summer of 2014. He'll easily be a 4 M player in 2013-14 if he posts something similar to his 0.74 PPG of 2011-12. Maybe even 4.5 M. And on a long-term deal, he'll be in position to ask 5M+. Look at the hilarious contract Grabovski signed last winter.

Which is why the Habs absolutely need to evaluate what he can do with some other wingers to see if he's this good or a product of Pacioretty and Cole. And also why I fully expect a trade of Plekanec or Desharnais within the next 12-18 months, you can't have 2 C's making that type of $ when neither is a #1 C and you have a stud center prospect who'll be ready at some point.

Good centers are usually not hard to trade. It's too early to talk about trading Plekanec or Desharnais for Galchenyuk(or Eller).

DD will surely get a nice raise probably 2 years and 7-8 mil

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
SJ could be potential traders. They have 3 injured D. Could be interesting to send them Kaberle depending on the return and his performances.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Why?

Both guys can bring solid contributions and make peanuts(cap wise). Bouillon was #5 on a team that finished top 5 overall, I'm sure he can help on defense.

I agree, and will give the argument for Colby Armstrong...

Here's a guy who has something to prove, because he's pissed off the Leafs didn't want him back and he probably signed with the Habs to be able to stick it down their throats early and often. He's got decent offensive upside, is responsible defensively and is known as a dirty checker.

Colby, just like Prust really, is something we haven't had in a while, in his case I think a comparison with Steve Begin might be fitting?

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I still think Doug Wilson would've been the best GM for the Habs. Molson should've nabbed him.

Was he available? I had no idea. If so, he would have been awesome. I do like Bergy, though his choice in Therrien is something I'll have to grow to like.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
Gomez.

Even on a terrible season Bourque still scored 17 goals.

If he's bought out he'll be signed asap. Whichever team does get him will laugh at us.

People wanting to buy Bourque out after a bad half season here where most of the team sucked just proves how fickle fans really are.

Kaberle can be dealt to a team who needs to get over the cap. Plus he ****ing suck defensively.

This.

He could end up being our 2nd or 3rd leading goal scorer and last year will be forgotten given he wasn't the root of our demise. It's not that he doesn't have the talent and the "will" thing is an iffy thing to throw around. It's not fun not being able to score goals so if he gets a good start, he could end up being one of Gauthier's good moves. (Of which I think he made more than people give him credit for.)

Q. Wasn't Gionta gone from the Pleky-Bourque-X line for an extended period? Could make a big difference.

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
This.

He could end up being our 2nd or 3rd leading goal scorer and last year will be forgotten given he wasn't the root of our demise. It's not that he doesn't have the talent and the "will" thing is an iffy thing to throw around. It's not fun not being able to score goals so if he gets a good start, he could end up being one of Gauthier's good moves. (Of which I think he made more than people give him credit for.)

Q. Wasn't Gionta gone from the Pleky-Bourque-X line for an extended period? Could make a big difference.

It wasn't just a bad 38 games in MTL. If it was that, hey no problem.

Its that he was likewise terrible in CGY for the first half of the season and that in 10-11 he was scoring plenty of goals but there was a strong tendency for everyone he played with to get worse when he was on the ice. His team on ice goals for per hour (ES) is well in the bottom quartile of the league for both seasons, which is a really bad sign for a supposed scoring winger who had pretty decent centers each year.

The thought of 3 more years with a guy in a heavy downward spiral should concern everyone.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Why?

Both guys can bring solid contributions and make peanuts(cap wise). Bouillon was #5 on a team that finished top 5 overall, I'm sure he can help on defense.

Bouillon is a cycle killer. Watch. Every time he gets the puck at the point he will throw a weak wrist shot to the net which will be gloved and held for a face-off.

Armstrong is just a cheap shot artist. Don't want them on my team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad