THE OFFICIAL BUYOUT THREAD: Bourque or Kaberle?

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
At this rate, kaberle will be bought out long before Bourque. Bourque has been trying very hard since game 1 and has created a few opportunities, one of them leading to a goal today and getting an assist. I think if he keeps this pace, he'll be creating more trouble for opposition while score way more. While I know Bork has the stats in previous seasons to back up he has the skills. Hopefully, Therrien manages to keep him motivated year long and to improve his performances.

As for Kaberle... Things just seem to be getting worse and worse. Being on top pairing and on first PP wave, to bottom pairing and no PP, to bottom with limited time and causing turnovers. If things keep going this way, I can easily see Bergie telling him to sit at home to buy him out, unless he trades Kabs.

So far the performances and surprise between these two players have been entirely polar opposites.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Honestly at this point I think Weber should be given a chance over Kaberle (of course while PK is still out). Weber's shot would be a welcome addition to the second PP wave.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
At the worst Bourque will still be able to chip in the odd goal and help kill penalties, which isn't THAT bad for $3.33 million... Kaberle needs to GTFO this team ASAP. I tried to support him last year but he's beyond pathetic this year, at least Therrien has had the balls to reduce his icetime unlike our coaches last year. Really hoping Therrien benches him for Weber until Subban gets signed.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
I'd compliance buyout Bourque and regular buyout Kaberle if they can't be dealt.

Max cap hit for buying out both in this manner:
2013-14 1.25
2014-15 1.50

That leads to the following cap savings
2013-14 6.3 mil
2014-15 1.83 mil
2015-16 2.33 mil

Last edited:

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Kaberle just doesn't belong here, I really hope Bergevin can trade him but if he can't he needs to go this summer. It's really painful watching him play

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Kaberle is just awful. No defense, no offense. He's a waste of skin right now. He should just retire at this point.

Bourque on the other hand has shown a lot more drive in the first 3 games and creates a lot of space and havoc for Gio and Pleks. Like what I'm seeing so far and has a very manageble cap hit. Can't see him being bought out when he could easily be traded for some assets rather than being paid to leave. Doesn't make sense to buy him out.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Kaberle is just awful. No defense, no offense. He's a waste of skin right now. He should just retire at this point.

Bourque on the other hand has shown a lot more drive in the first 3 games and creates a lot of space and havoc for Gio and Pleks. Like what I'm seeing so far and has a very manageble cap hit. Can't see him being bought out when he could easily be traded for some assets rather than being paid to leave. Doesn't make sense to buy him out.

What people forget is last year we had a depleted lineup and when he got here Gio pretty much got hurt and missed the rest of the season. Makes a big difference the lineup wasn't healthy and strong and I think a little too much was asked from Rene

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
I think we should buy-out Price. Trade Galchenyuk and Subban for Hal Gill and trade Plekanec for Wade Redden, then we would see if MT is a good coach.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

Exagerate much?

He hasn't been great defensively but hasn't been on the ice for any goals either. He moves the puck well and is a good point man on the PP. I'd rather have him here than not here at this point. If we sign PK then him or Weber(preferably Kaberle) become expendable.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Exagerate much?

He hasn't been great defensively but hasn't been on the ice for any goals either. He moves the puck well and is a good point man on the PP. I'd rather have him here than not here at this point. If we sign PK then him or Weber(preferably Kaberle) become expendable.

No exaggeration at all, since last year you seem to be the only person who likes Kaberle and don't bring his point total again cause it doesn't reflect on his horrible play

And I still don't think he will be easy to move

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Diaz/Weber/Kaberle are similar type player. We don't need Kaberle at that price, now that we have seen what Diaz is capable of doing

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Bourque and Kaberle are both kinda "just there" for me so far... but that's better than last year for both, actually. Still lots of time to evaluate. Bourque has been hurt and not playing before this, so maybe it's a better sign for him if he's still "just there" than it would be for Kaberle. Just in terms of the rest of the roster, personnel-wise, once Subban signs it would seem obvious that we'll have far less need of Kaberle than of Bourque, though.

So I'd say Kaberle is winning the "race to compliance buyout" rather handily thus far.

But that said, with the magnitude of Markov's bounceback thus far, and Diaz's progression, Bouillon's decency, a return of Subban... it would be a nice dream to actually be able to trade Kaberle, and then keep the compliance buyout slot open for further flexibility this off-season. Whether we ultimately use it or not... just nice to have the option.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
No exaggeration at all, since last year you seem to be the only person who likes Kaberle and don't bring his point total again cause it doesn't reflect on his horrible play

And I still don't think he will be easy to move

Funny how he is played horrible yet he hasn't been on the ice for a goal against in 3 games. So being on the ice for 47 minutes so far he has not seen a goal go into his net despite being "horrible". :shakehead

He may or may not be easy to move, his 13-14 cap hit is a bigger issue than his play with the cap dropping.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Bourque and Kaberle are both kinda "just there" for me so far... but that's better than last year for both, actually. Still lots of time to evaluate. Bourque has been hurt and not playing before this, so maybe it's a better sign for him if he's still "just there" than it would be for Kaberle. Just in terms of the rest of the roster, personnel-wise, once Subban signs it would seem obvious that we'll have far less need of Kaberle than of Bourque, though.

So I'd say Kaberle is winning the "race to compliance buyout" rather handily thus far.

But that said, with the magnitude of Markov's bounceback thus far, and Diaz's progression, Bouillon's decency, a return of Subban... it would be a nice dream to actually be able to trade Kaberle, and then keep the compliance buyout slot open for further flexibility this off-season. Whether we ultimately use it or not... just nice to have the option.

If they can trade Kaberle instead of a buyout, they can keep the buyout for July 2014 in case they need it.

I don't see buyout Bourque the way he is playing and with his cap hit. Plus we don't have any top 9 guys other than Gallagher and Galchenyuk ready to take his spot. Maybe LeBlanc in Sept or later in the year if he can get back on track and finish strong. Not hard to find room for a 6'2" winger who can score 20+ and has a very reasonable cap hit(3.3 mil).

fufonzo

Feb 28, 2004
Funny how he is played horrible yet he hasn't been on the ice for a goal against in 3 games. So being on the ice for 47 minutes so far he has not seen a goal go into his net despite being "horrible". :shakehead

He may or may not be easy to move, his 13-14 cap hit is a bigger issue than his play with the cap dropping.
Is Kaberle paid too much, yes.

However, he has been more than adequate thus far and does have great vision. He did have one bad giveaway last game, but otherwise, he's bee fairly solid.

I'd mich rather have him on the second PP wave than Bouillon or Gorges (honestly, I'd take him in the lineup before Bouillon, especially if we're down a goal or two)

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Is Kaberle paid too much, yes.

However, he has been more than adequate thus far and does have great vision. He did have one bad giveaway last game, but otherwise, he's bee fairly solid.

I'd mich rather have him on the second PP wave than Bouillon or Gorges (honestly, I'd take him in the lineup before Bouillon, especially if we're down a goal or two)

Agreed. Kaberle will always be overpaid, but he hasn't been nearly as hideous as some people here want to believe. For the most part, in fact, he's been pretty good. In any event his decent defensive depth a team that can use it.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Agreed. Kaberle will always be overpaid, but he hasn't been nearly as hideous as some people here want to believe. For the most part, in fact, he's been pretty good. In any event his decent defensive depth a team that can use it.
He hasn't been hideous, for sure, I wouldn't say "pretty good" either, though. He has been... adequate. But if we get Subban back and have 8D again, I'd cheerfully trade his adequacy away if it meant saving his cap hit/buyout money for better use/contingency use. There's no real argument to be made for keeping him past this season, anyway, barring some disastrous (knock wood) event with Markov again.

There ought to be teams that can use him at some point this year. They all have buyout opportunities too if they don't like what he's going to get paid next year. There will be attrition... it would be nice if that helped us out for a change, instead of what we normally have faced in recent years.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Exagerate much?

Umm you just made my point of why we should buy him out.

24Cups

Aug 2, 2005

I see it the same way. Not stellar defensively, but hardly MAB.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
He hasn't been hideous, for sure, I wouldn't say "pretty good" either, though. He has been... adequate. But if we get Subban back and have 8D again, I'd cheerfully trade his adequacy away if it meant saving his cap hit/buyout money for better use/contingency use. There's no real argument to be made for keeping him past this season, anyway, barring some disastrous (knock wood) event with Markov again.

There ought to be teams that can use him at some point this year. They all have buyout opportunities too if they don't like what he's going to get paid next year. There will be attrition... it would be nice if that helped us out for a change, instead of what we normally have faced in recent years.

Yeah if we're talking about the off-season (and we probably are, since it's the buyout thread) then, assuming everything is peachy with Subban's contract, Markov's knee and Emelin and Diaz's development, then I'd get rid of him. But less due to his play (presuming he maintains this level) and more due to there not being a spot for him.

But I agree, if he continues to play like he has so far this year, a trade might not be out of the realm of possibility, even if it's only a late pick. Teams are always looking for veteran D who can move the puck.

BobbyFischer*

We're gonna need a guy like Bourque when the playoffs comes around.... trust me.

Kaberle sucks. He... sucks. He is the softest player in the NHL. I hate him. His offensive game is crap now too. Defensively he is crap too. =[

Whenever there is a big turnover in our own zone, most likely, it is from #22. FACT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad