The Official 2016 WJC Thread | 2 (CAN: Virtanen, USA: Boeser)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
If you don't get that your plan is far fetched, there is no helping you. Drafting NHL all stars? Benning has participated in 2 drafts so far and no one is even proven yet. The Virtanen pick was ill advised and trading away Forsling for a guy we subsequently ended up giving away for free is only a part of the reason why he has been at best mediocre at his job.

Keep calm, hah! It sounds like you're basing your composure on nothing but contingencies that are neither likely or probable.

Benning drafted Forsling. No credit for that? Look at that 2014 draft the top 5 picks are looking like they might be NHL players. However everyone concentrates of the 7th round pick (Stewart).

coastal_nuck

Jun 28, 2006
Benning drafted Forsling. No credit for that? Look at that 2014 draft the top 5 picks are looking like they might be NHL players. However everyone concentrates of the 7th round pick (Stewart).

Oh I totally think he should get credit for that. But he eliminated that good foresight by trading him for effectively nothing. That also shows his ability and hit and then miss massively because he didn't think highly enough of Forsling to keep him.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Oh I totally think he should get credit for that. But he eliminated that good foresight by trading him for effectively nothing. That also shows his ability and hit and then miss massively because he didn't think highly enough of Forsling to keep him.

I think it shows more of a lack of pro scouting. Clendening was yet another AHL stud who wasn't transitioning well to the pro game.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.

The fact that he traded away Forsling so quickly despite being an apparent stud makes me think that he wasn't the one behind the Forsling pick at all

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
The fact that he traded away Forsling so quickly despite being an apparent stud makes me think that he wasn't the one behind the Forsling pick at all

Not to mention it was in his first draft as the Canucks GM. It's much more likely that he picked the first round guys, and then fell back on the scouting staff for the later picks. It's not like Benning knows every single player in the draft.

Gillis did the same thing, didn't he? Overrode the scouting staff to take Hodgson instead of Beech, but then mostly let the scouts run the draft for the rest of the draft.

I think the interesting pick was Tryamkin, as Gillis was against drafting Russians, so he's 100% a player we wouldn't have had with Gillis at the helm.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Not to mention it was in his first draft as the Canucks GM. It's much more likely that he picked the first round guys, and then fell back on the scouting staff for the later picks. It's not like Benning knows every single player in the draft.

Gillis did the same thing, didn't he? Overrode the scouting staff to take Hodgson instead of Beech, but then mostly let the scouts run the draft for the rest of the draft.

I think the interesting pick was Tryamkin, as Gillis was against drafting Russians, so he's 100% a player we wouldn't have had with Gillis at the helm.

I dont know if Gillis was 100% against drafting Russians but I dont blame him considering Russia was bouyed by high oil and gas prices and could support the insanity of the KHL.

Now that Russias economy is in trouble it will be interesting to see if we get more Russians coming over and more Russians being drafted.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Re-watched the highlights from 2011 Gold Medal WJC game. That was some Russian team eh? Tarasenko-Kuznetsov-Panarin line was absolutely lethal.

I was very upset with the way Canada collapsed, but man...in hindsight...you respect how good that Russian top line was.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Yup. Clinging on to the faintest glimmer of hope.

He's an average amateur scout and a terrible every-other-aspect-of-being-a-GM.

If Bennings an average scout and drafter what do you all the other GMs in Canucks history?

Name a Canucks GM that had two opening drafts better than Benning :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad