The Official 2016 Summer Olympics Thread

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Maybe Athletico are more committed to letting Correa shine as much as possible to build on his greater hype in case someone comes in with a re****ed bid?

WOuldn't make sense as he's their future ala Kun. With a ban looming and they already have a war chest thanks to China, they have no reason to sell him.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Lo celso might not go either. :laugh:

Still taking hits, wonder how many will last fro the "official" list.

SchwenningerWildWing

Aug 23, 2006
Germany
Looks like it is not easy for Germany to put together a team for Rio. Announcment of the nominations is delayed until tomorrow. Only 4 names so far went public. It looks like the two Benders, Lars and Sven and Nils Petersen from Freiburg will be the three overage players. That alone is a sign that Germany has problems to convince teams to let players go to Rio. Original plan from German managment and Coach Hrubesch was to play without overagers, but there are just not enough options. The fourth name that went public is Julian Brandt. Rest of the team is totally unknown at this point.
Also the team will only have three practices together before they fly to Rio and no practice games before the tourney starts.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Looks like it is not easy for Germany to put together a team for Rio. Announcment of the nominations is delayed until tomorrow. Only 4 names so far went public. It looks like the two Benders, Lars and Sven and Nils Petersen from Freiburg will be the three overage players. That alone is a sign that Germany has problems to convince teams to let players go to Rio. Original plan from German managment and Coach Hrubesch was to play without overagers, but there are just not enough options. The fourth name that went public is Julian Brandt. Rest of the team is totally unknown at this point.
Also the team will only have three practices together before they fly to Rio and no practice games before the tourney starts.

Good, it's not just Argentina.:laugh: Although, I was looking forward to seeing the young stars play.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Many of the Euro sides are having problems selecting a squad, just read a quote from Portugal's coach saying that 24 of the 35 man provisional squad cannot go to Rio for various reasons (not released by their clubs, participated at Euros, denied call-up) so they are scrambling just to find extra bodies to bring. What hurts Portugal is their top three clubs are also refusing to release many first team players

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
I'll be cheering really hard for the USA.

Oh wait, no I won't. Smooth move, Klinsi/Herzilein.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Many of the Euro sides are having problems selecting a squad, just read a quote from Portugal's coach saying that 24 of the 35 man provisional squad cannot go to Rio for various reasons (not released by their clubs, participated at Euros, denied call-up) so they are scrambling just to find extra bodies to bring. What hurts Portugal is their top three clubs are also refusing to release many first team players

Ya just came here to post this.

Sending a complete wreck of a team right now, maybe C/D team at the U21 level.

SchwenningerWildWing

Aug 23, 2006
Germany
And Sven Bender hurt himself yesterday in a friendly that Dortmund played. I'm really interested what team Germany will manage to put together. I can see players that are not even in the top 18 of their Bundesliga roster and which could possibly play join this team. For example a guy like Julian Korb from my team Moenchengladbach

Just Win

Nov 3, 2008
Stuttgart
And Sven Bender hurt himself yesterday in a friendly that Dortmund played. I'm really interested what team Germany will manage to put together. I can see players that are not even in the top 18 of their Bundesliga roster and which could possibly play join this team. For example a guy like Julian Korb from my team Moenchengladbach

Gladbach isn't sending anyone because of CL qualification. Neither is Hertha because of EL quali. Ajax doesn't want to make Younes available, Cologne only is willing to send Horn but neither of Heintz/Bitencourt. A lot of players that could have been on the team changed clubs over the summer and therefore are also not available (Karius, Volland, DaCosta, Özuntali, Werner). Löw also didn't exactly help either by nominating Tah, Rüdiger, Weigl, Kimmich and Sane. Add some injured players like Stendera and now apparently Sven Bender and you have a giant cluster****.

That is around 20 players not available to Hrubesch and somehow he has to nominate 18 players out of a list with 35 that was submitted in early January.

SchwenningerWildWing

Aug 23, 2006
Germany
German Olympic Roster

Goal:

Timo Horn ,1. FC Köln
Jannik Huth, 1. FSV Mainz 05

Defense:

Robert Bauer, FC Ingolstadt
Matthias Ginter, Borussia Dortmund
Lukas Klostermann, RB Leipzig
Philipp Max, FC Augsburg
Niklas Süle, 1899 Hoffenheim
Jeremy Toljan, 1899 Hoffenheim

Midfield:

Lars Bender, Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Sven Bender, Borussia Dortmund
Julian Brandt, Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Max Christiansen, FC Ingolstadt
Serge Gnabry, Arsenal London
Leon Goretzka, FC Schalke 04
Max Meyer, FC Schalke 04
Grischa Prömel, Karlsruher SC

Attack:

Nils Petersen, SC Freiburg
Davie Selke, RB Leipzig

Standby:

Leonardo Bittencourt, 1. FC Köln
Christian Günter, SC Freiburg
Sebastian Kerk, SC Freiburg
Eric Oelschlägel, Werder Bremen

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Looking at the final roster, I'd like to see:

Selke/Peterson - Brandt
Meyer
Goretzka - L.Bender
Christensen/Promel/Bauer
Bauer/Max/Toljan - Sule - Sven - Klostermann/Ginter

Or

Selke/Peterson
Meyer
Brandt/Max/Toljan - Goretzka - L.Bender - Brandt/Gnabry
Sule - Sven - Ginter/Klostermann/Bauer​

Expecting:

Selke/Peterson
Brandt - Meyer - Gnabry
Goretzka - L.Bender

...at best:

Brandt - Selke/Peterson - Meyer
Goretzka - L.Bender
Christensen/Promel/Bauer
Bauer/Max/Toljan - Sule - Sven - Klostermann/Ginter​

Tutu to

Jan 19, 2013
Toronto
Looking at the final roster, I'd like to see:

Selke/Peterson - Brandt
Meyer
Goretzka - L.Bender
Christensen/Promel/Bauer

Or

Selke/Peterson
Meyer
Brandt/Max/Toljan - Goretzka - L.Bender - Brandt/Gnabry
Sule - Sven - Ginter/Klostermann/Bauer​

Expecting:

Selke/Peterson
Brandt - Meyer - Gnabry
Goretzka - L.Bender

...at best:

Brandt - Selke/Peterson - Meyer
Goretzka - L.Bender
Christensen/Promel/Bauer
Bauer/Max/Toljan - Sule - Sven - Klostermann/Ginter​
rosebud??

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Argentina playing Colombia in a friendly for the Olympics... game starts a 8. Westham target Calleri is starting.

Just finished watching the game.

Liked what I saw from Gomez, he looked lively attacked from the flank well.

Calleri/Lo Celso were disappointing the latter was anonymous. Rarely got on the ball. As for Calleri, he was downright terrible. Missed a sitter that would make Higuain blush and a penalty to boot. I guess he'll be starting in the 2018 WC final against Germany.

Last edited:

gnr25

May 22, 2008
Ottawa
Beckie scores for Canada 20 seconds in. Then Zadorsky is sent off in the 19th minute as the last defender back. A defender, Quinn, has replaced Tancredi. Canada will have to play smart the rest of the game with their 1-0 lead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad