Prospect Info: The Official 2014 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
From his quote, I'm not too sure he cares about burning bridges with Hockey Canada.

They have already been burnt. They were burnt at or after the Under 17's. He is just adding fuel to a fire now thinking about himself and "How dare Hockey Canada".

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
They have already been burnt. They were burnt at or after the Under 17's. He is just adding fuel to a fire now thinking about himself and "How dare Hockey Canada".

Oh I agree, I'm just saying the attitude issues are overblown. Tons of players that were cut by HC said the exact same things.

A lot of successful pro athletes have a "me-first" attitude.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
I absolutely shudder at the thought of Ho Sang right now.

Well I'm biased, I haven't seen him this year but starting from minor midget I don't know if there has been more a selfish player I've seen.

Julez1212

Jul 24, 2010
Kitchener
From everything that I've heard about this years draft class, it seems to be quite weaker than normal. Anyone want to guess why BMurr is going after a first round pic this year? (Besides just the fact that we currently don't have one)

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
From everything that I've heard about this years draft class, it seems to be quite weaker than normal. Anyone want to guess why BMurr is going after a first round pic this year? (Besides just the fact that we currently don't have one)
07 was to be a weak draft as well, which is to say that any draft can ultimately have good players. If Murray wants a draft pick, then it's because he wants a player that his staff has identified.

Karlsson2Turris*

Does anyone think there's a chance Murray will draft Ho-Sang if he's available at #40? We don't really need to select character players like Lazar and we haven't had a top-end skill prospect in our system since Karlsson.

King Karlsson

Gersei Chongar
Sep 30, 2011
Does anyone think there's a chance Murray will draft Ho-Sang if he's available at #40? We don't really need to select character players like Lazar and we haven't had a top-end skill prospect in our system since Karlsson.

Literally guarantee we pick him if he drops to #40

BPA by far, even though I do think he has some attitude issues

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

I highly doubt it. We certainly could use a skilled player more than a role player (I.E Jim O'Brien), but Murray and Dorian don't like guys like Ho-Sang. I wouldn't be surprised if the Sens were one of the Many teams who have been reported to have Ho-Sang on their DO NOT DRAFT list. There will be guys like Cornel, Hawryluk, and others left with skill whom I'm sure Murray and Dorian would prefer.

Ahnotamoose

May 31, 2011
Montreal
Senschirp posted this on Twitter, figured I'd throw it up since I don't see it posted on here yet.

http://video.senators.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=626293&catid=1196

First guy they discuss sounds a lot like Ho-Sang, they also talk about a guy who played up in Quebec near the end and say he's selfish and it isn't something they want in the organization, so anybody hoping we draft Ho-Sang if he's available at #40 will be disappointed.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Senschirp posted this on Twitter, figured I'd throw it up since I don't see it posted on here yet.

First guy they discuss sounds a lot like Ho-Sang, they also talk about a guy who played up in Quebec near the end and say he's selfish and it isn't something they want in the organization, so anybody hoping we draft Ho-Sang if he's available at #40 will be disappointed.

Ya it sounds like they are thinking the way I thought they would. They know Ho-Sang may be talented and play, but they want nothing to do with him regardless.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Oh I agree, I'm just saying the attitude issues are overblown. Tons of players that were cut by HC said the exact same things.

A lot of successful pro athletes have a "me-first" attitude.

Agreed.

I mean, let's look at the WJC teams HC has put together the last few years. There have been quite a few "political" selections on every team. Lots of less talented guys who just happen to have a coach on the roster or be part of an organization with stronger ties to HC than others.

And every year you have at least one kid hint at the very same thing.

To me, Ho Sang sounds almost identical to PK Subban. If he can bring that kind of swagger to a team, while also being part of a strong organization that can pull in the reigns and channel that swagger, there's a good chance you'll have a star in a few years.

My biggest problem, is that Ottawa and our locker room isn't strong enough and doesn't have the culture to steer this kid the right way. A team like Boston or Detroit could turn Ho Sang into a superstar though.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Agreed.

I mean, let's look at the WJC teams HC has put together the last few years. There have been quite a few "political" selections on every team. Lots of less talented guys who just happen to have a coach on the roster or be part of an organization with stronger ties to HC than others.

And every year you have at least one kid hint at the very same thing.

To me, Ho Sang sounds almost identical to PK Subban. If he can bring that kind of swagger to a team, while also being part of a strong organization that can pull in the reigns and channel that swagger, there's a good chance you'll have a star in a few years.

My biggest problem, is that Ottawa and our locker room isn't strong enough and doesn't have the culture to steer this kid the right way. A team like Boston or Detroit could turn Ho Sang into a superstar though.

P.K was/is loved by Hockey Canada. Ho-Sang wasn't cut, he was black-listed, as he has been by numerous NHL teams. This is nothing like Couture or someone else not making it. It is the same as Kyle Beach being black listed because of his attitude.

If he is drafted by the Sens I will be extremely happy, because that means the Sens don't think his attitude will be a problem. He has all world talent. He clearly has an awful, awful attitude that is more than small "maturity" things if there are a number of professional teams who have gone on record saying they won't draft him if he is there in the 7th. He's on their "don't draft list".

Getzlaf had supposed attitude problems his draft year. That's why he fell. He wasn't on anyone's "don't draft list".

SaltyPete

May 7, 2014
Ho-Sang or DeAngelo

If both players with the biggest apparent attitude issues (Ho-Sang and DeAngelo) were available at 40 who do you guys choose?

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Using how Pilgore described it, Ho sang is "dont draft crazy" and DeAngelo is "drop a few spots attitude".

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
If both players with the biggest apparent attitude issues (Ho-Sang and DeAngelo) were available at 40 who do you guys choose?

That's a tough one. People can learn and adapt and change....but you need to have a strong organization with a strong culture and locker room to get any potential problems under control and modified. I'm not sure if our team has that.

If we had the culture or inner strength or a Detroit or Boston, then I'd take Ho Sang in a second.

You look at the ultra cocky guys around the league...guys like a Scremp, Kadri, Subban, both the Kanes, etc....they act like Ho Sang, but there's one important difference. They know the effect those cocky words have when talking to media and the like, and they know how to market themselves. Ho Sang obviously doesn't. That is a key difference.

Years ago, a lot of teams didn't really care for former 67 Grant Marshall. They thought he wasn't intelligent enough to be a pro. Turns out, the kid was pretty smart but had a learning disorder. He had to see drills happen before he really 'got it.' He ended up having a nice pro career.

I see the same thing with Ho Sang. Not necessarily a learning disorder, but socially he sees things a different way. He doesn't understand the nuances of human behavior as well and doesn't understand how his words and actions affect perception and acceptance. Once he gets with the right crowd and environment, and learns a few things, I think he has the potential to figure it out.

SaltyPete

May 7, 2014
That's a tough one. People can learn and adapt and change....but you need to have a strong organization with a strong culture and locker room to get any potential problems under control and modified. I'm not sure if our team has that.

If we had the culture or inner strength or a Detroit or Boston, then I'd take Ho Sang in a second.

You look at the ultra cocky guys around the league...guys like a Scremp, Kadri, Subban, both the Kanes, etc....they act like Ho Sang, but there's one important difference. They know the effect those cocky words have when talking to media and the like, and they know how to market themselves. Ho Sang obviously doesn't. That is a key difference.

Years ago, a lot of teams didn't really care for former 67 Grant Marshall. They thought he wasn't intelligent enough to be a pro. Turns out, the kid was pretty smart but had a learning disorder. He had to see drills happen before he really 'got it.' He ended up having a nice pro career.

I see the same thing with Ho Sang. Not necessarily a learning disorder, but socially he sees things a different way. He doesn't understand the nuances of human behavior as well and doesn't understand how his words and actions affect perception and acceptance. Once he gets with the right crowd and environment, and learns a few things, I think he has the potential to figure it out.

I always got the sense that Ho-Sang did understand how people would react to what he said but just didn't care. I have a certain amount of respect for people who speak their minds like he does, although it can get o be a little too much after a while.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA

Flyers fan here but interesting video.

Wonder if they're talking about Daniel Audette, when they're discussing the Q player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad