Prospect Info: The Official 2014 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

senility

May 23, 2005
07 was to be a weak draft as well, which is to say that any draft can ultimately have good players. If Murray wants a draft pick, then it's because he wants a player that his staff has identified.

This has to be right. Assuming the rumours are accurate about St. Louis and Anaheim being the front runners, the pick is likely to be either 21 or 24. There must be a kid they are confident they can get in that range who they like a lot, but who they don't think will still be on the board at 40. The Lemieux kid maybe? Come to think of it, I believe Dorion did say something in a recent radio interview about really liking 13 or 14 guys, but thinking it was quite possible they could get one of their guys quite a bit later than the 13th or 14th pick.

burf

Mar 27, 2012
I absolutely shudder at the thought of Ho Sang right now.

Well I'm biased, I haven't seen him this year but starting from minor midget I don't know if there has been more a selfish player I've seen.

On the other hand,

x7iWGvNl.png

Hemmer Time

May 4, 2014
Is Roland McKeown a guy of interest if we have either the Blues or Ducks 1st rounder?

Good two-way d-man with a good shot, has size, excellent skating and very smart player. I'm not sure he would drop that low, but if he did I would want him. He shoots right unfortunately, but otherwise I'd love the guy.

Maybe a guy like Travis Sanheim too.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Is Roland McKeown a guy of interest if we have either the Blues or Ducks 1st rounder?

Good two-way d-man with a good shot, has size, excellent skating and very smart player. I'm not sure he would drop that low, but if he did I would want him. He shoots right unfortunately, but otherwise I'd love the guy.

I wouldn't be surprised to see McKeown make it to the second round. Sanheim is much, much more appealing but will almost assuredly be gone. He is this drafts huge late riser.

2XPRO31

Jul 13, 2007

I watched a few Fronts games last year and would be thrilled if we got Mckeown

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
After watching Murray's impromptu presser/media availability thing today, I'm 193% certain we will not be taking Ho-Sang.

Here's the clip, the part about drafting preferences starts at 08:30

"We want character"

"There are occasions when you take "talent only", basically the best player from a skill point of view... but from my point of view, we want people who work hard, play hard, good people, guys who want to be on your team on a nightly basis, and when the game is over you know they've given you 100%. If you get that kind of character in the organization, more often than not you're going to win."

Of course, it depends on how Murray sees Ho-Sang... but considering the rap Ho-Sang has on him right now, doesn't sound like Murray's going all-in on his skill.

Last edited:

thesensguy

Apr 5, 2014
Ottawa,Ontario
Your draft list

If you were the general manager of the Ottawa senators how would your draft list go? Try to think about position of need and best player available. Mine goes as follows:

1. Sam Bennett
2.Sam Reinhart
3. Leon Draisaitl
4.Aaron Ekblad
5. Michael Dal Colle
6. Nick Ritchie
7. Nikolaj Ehlers
8. Haydn Fleury
9. Kasperi Kapanen
10. Jake Virtanen

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
  1. Reinhart
  2. Bennett
  3. Ehlers
  4. Draisaitl
  5. Nylander
  6. Dal Colle
  7. Ekblad
  8. Fabbri
  9. Fleury
  10. Ritchie
  11. Perlini
  12. Virtanen
  13. Larkin
  14. Fiala
  15. Honka
  16. Milano
  17. DeAngelo
  18. Kapanen
  19. McCann
  20. Sanheim
  21. Tuch
  22. Berbashev
  23. McKeown
  24. Vrana
  25. Scherbak
  26. Pastrnak
  27. Bleackley
  28. Kempe
  29. Goldobin
  30. Schmaltz
  31. MacInnis
  32. Cornel
  33. Donato
  34. Quenneville
  35. Nedeljkovic
  36. Masin
  37. Karlsson
  38. Audette
  39. Pollock
  40. Thomas

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
  1. Reinhart
  2. Bennett
  3. Ehlers
  4. Draisaitl
  5. Nylander
  6. Dal Colle
  7. Ekblad
  8. Fabbri
  9. Fleury
  10. Ritchie
  11. Perlini
  12. Virtanen
  13. Larkin
  14. Fiala
  15. Honka
  16. Milano
  17. DeAngelo
  18. Kapanen
  19. McCann
  20. Sanheim
  21. Tuch
  22. Berbashev
  23. McKeown
  24. Vrana
  25. Scherbak
  26. Pastrnak
  27. Bleackley
  28. Kempe
  29. Goldobin
  30. Schmaltz
  31. MacInnis
  32. Cornel
  33. Donato
  34. Quenneville
  35. Nedeljkovic
  36. Masin
  37. Karlsson
  38. Audette
  39. Pollock
  40. Thomas

Seriously?

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Seriously?

Yes. He's not a good skater and isn't smart in the defensive zone. I also think his physical maturity makes him look better than his actual talent level.

I see his upside as 2nd pairing dman that gets a load of PP time and doesn't have that safeness of a top 3 pick.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Yes. He's not a good skater and isn't smart in the defensive zone. I also think his physical maturity makes him look better than his actual talent level.

I see his upside as 2nd pairing dman that gets a load of PP time and doesn't have that safeness of a top 3 pick.

He is a 6-4 D, who just won Offensive, and Defensive D of the year in the OHL. Not sure where you get the not smart in the defensive zone from.

thesensguy

Apr 5, 2014
Ottawa,Ontario
Who do you believe has the highest bust probability? For me it has to be Nylander, in my opinion he will either be a legit first line winger or a skilled 3rd liner like Benoit Pouliouit

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Who do you believe has the highest bust probability? For me it has to be Nylander, in my opinion he will either be a legit first line winger or a skilled 3rd liner like Benoit Pouliouit

It feels like there's a lot of potential busts this year. There seem to be a lot of small guys (not just height, but small frames), and a lot of kids with skating issues (although, looking at scouting reports for other years, that seems to be a common trend as a main flaw with a ton of Canadian kids).

Seems to be an unusually high number of kids that also have the "character issues" label to them, as well. I wonder if it might be the start of a different 'trend' or stage in hockey. The kids coming into the draft nowadays are treated more like pros than ever before...and from an earlier age. You read stories about kids as young as 10 with agents/advisors, getting massage therapy, playing on these ultra expensive touring teams (with charter buses and the whole shebang), having their own fitness trainers and nutritionists, and even those expensive hockey schools (like the new one out east of Ottawa). Plus these kids have spent most of their hockey-watching lives seeing 4th line scrubs get nearly a million bucks a year with the crazy skyrocketing salaries. All that stuff put together from such an early age (and the massive financial investment nowadays) has to be doing something to the wiring in these kids' heads quite a bit.

Agreed. I don't think he's as good as the hype. Has a decent chance of being a #4D in the NHL. But, I do think he'll be taken in the top 3.

thesensguy

Apr 5, 2014
Ottawa,Ontario
It feels like there's a lot of potential busts this year. There seem to be a lot of small guys (not just height, but small frames), and a lot of kids with skating issues (although, looking at scouting reports for other years, that seems to be a common trend as a main flaw with a ton of Canadian kids).

Seems to be an unusually high number of kids that also have the "character issues" label to them, as well. I wonder if it might be the start of a different 'trend' or stage in hockey. The kids coming into the draft nowadays are treated more like pros than ever before...and from an earlier age. You read stories about kids as young as 10 with agents/advisors, getting massage therapy, playing on these ultra expensive touring teams (with charter buses and the whole shebang), having their own fitness trainers and nutritionists, and even those expensive hockey schools (like the new one out east of Ottawa). Plus these kids have spent most of their hockey-watching lives seeing 4th line scrubs get nearly a million bucks a year with the crazy skyrocketing salaries. All that stuff put together from such an early age (and the massive financial investment nowadays) has to be doing something to the wiring in these kids' heads quite a bit.

Agreed. I don't think he's as good as the hype. Has a decent chance of being a #4D in the NHL. But, I do think he'll be taken in the top 3.

OK #4D is definetly pushing it. I can see him become a good #2 for sure, but he needs to work on his speed. I have seen him both live and on tape and boy is he slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad