The Official 2014 (Annual) Habs Board Mock Draft (Done!)

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
2014 Pittsburgh Draft
24. Nikolay Goldobin
115. Richard Nejezchleb
149. Julien Pelletier
175. Andreas Soderberg
205. Simon Kindschi

Goldobin - 27 to SJS (-3)
Nejezchleb - 122 to NYR (-7)
Pelletier - 107 to CLB (+42)
Soderberg - 148 to CHI (+27)
Kindschi - ND

I think this is my best one yet. Should have gone Walcott with the 205th, who was the other guy I was considering, he went in the 5th lol.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
:sens

Ottawa Senators Draft Summary

40. Travis Sanheim (D)
70. Linus Soderstrom (G)
100. Michael Amadio (F)
190. Chris Wilkie (F)

I dunno. I feel like I did quite a bit with not so much. Happy with the quality of player though, that's for sure.

Update:
Sanheim: 17th (+23)
Soderstrom: 95th (-25)
Amadio: 90th (+10)
Wilkie: ND (-infinity)

Surprised Soderstrom dropped under so many other goalies, actually. Not as surprised that Wilkie wasn't picked, but will be surprised if he doesn't end up on an NHL roster quicker than a lot of guys from the bottom half of the draft. Sanheim and Amadio were always going to be my "gems", anyway. :)

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
14. Adrian Kempe: went 29th to LA Kings (-15).
45th: Ryan Donato: went 56th to Boston Bruins (-11).
75th: Jake Walman: went 82nd to St. Louis Blues (-7).
105th: Beau Starrett: went 88th to Chicago Blackhawks (+17).
119th: Matheson Iacopelli: went 83rd to Chicago Blackhawks (+36)
135th: Logan Halladay: went undrafted (-75).
154th: Nick Wolff: went undrafted (-56).
165th: Max Willman: went 121st to Buffalo Sabres (+44).
195th: Michael Prapavessis: went 105th to the Dallas Stars (+90).

I got Prapavessis right as a pick, just got him 3 rounds later than Dallas did in the real draft.
Halladay and Wolff were my only no drafts and I think it comes from lack of exposure for Halladay, we may see him drafted his second time around as we do with a lot more goalies these days.

Other than my two left undrafted, I didn't miss spots of players too badly.. Kempe, Donato and Walman were all picked later than I got them but weren't too too far off of where I selected them in the draft.

Starrett, Iacopelli and Willman were all players who went higher than I got them and that helped my overall ranking.

Think I ended up doing pretty well for Dallas and we'll see in 5 years how right or wrong I was.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
:ducks:ducks:ducks

Ducks draft summary:
10. Kevin Fiala, F (went #11, +1)
28. Roland McKeown, D (went #50, +22)
38. Brayden Point, F (went #79, +41)
59. Dysin Mayo, D (went #133, +74)
89. Nelson Nogier, D (went #101, +12)
123. Scott Savage, D (undrafted)
209. C.J. Yakimowicz, F (went #172, -37)

Dunno what that adds up to. I was thinking all along that Point was too much of a reach with that pick, but I'd have been pretty satisfied with this as my draft, at the spots I took those guys at, even after seeing how things turned out in the real NHL draft. Savage didn't get picked, but of course should have. :) I still like my draft better than most NHL teams' drafts. I think I'm better than all those scouts and my picks will prove them all wrong. Go HFDucks. :)
:GWC:

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
:ducks:ducks:ducks

Ducks draft summary:
10. Kevin Fiala, F (went #11, +1)
28. Roland McKeown, D (went #50, +22)
38. Brayden Point, F (went #79, +41)
59. Dysin Mayo, D (went #133, +74)
89. Nelson Nogier, D (went #101, +12)
123. Scott Savage, D (undrafted)
209. C.J. Yakimowicz, F (went #172, -37)

Dunno what that adds up to. I was thinking all along that Point was too much of a reach with that pick, but I'd have been pretty satisfied with this as my draft, at the spots I took those guys at, even after seeing how things turned out in the real NHL draft. Savage didn't get picked, but of course should have. :) I still like my draft better than most NHL teams' drafts. I think I'm better than all those scouts and my picks will prove them all wrong. Go HFDucks. :)
:GWC:

Numbers wise, pretty great draft for you!

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I think one of us has read the numbers wrong, then... :laugh:

Just that people interpret the + and the - differently. Is it + when they go higher or lower than our picks? We should probably use the positive when it looks great for us even if in reality....they were picked later hence the + (am I really giving explanations on this? :laugh:)

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Just that people interpret the + and the - differently. Is it + when they go higher or lower than our picks? We should probably use the positive when it looks great for us even if in reality....they were picked later hence the + (am I really giving explanations on this? :laugh:)

Do you really think it's better to pick a guy earlier than he went in real life?? Because that's what we're talking about here. Not much challenge in picking a good 7th rounder in the 1st round, lol. How much bonus do you get for using the 1st overall pick to choose an undrafted player?? :laugh:

I've always considered it better to find the guys who slipped the farthest through the cracks. For example, I'm pretty happy with getting the 17th overall draft pick (Sanheim) with my 40th overall mock pick. I consider that a +23.

Can't believe I'm explaining this. ;)

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Do you really think it's better to pick a guy earlier than he went in real life?? Because that's what we're talking about here. Not much challenge in picking a good 7th rounder in the 1st round, lol. How much bonus do you get for using the 1st overall pick to choose an undrafted player?? :laugh:

I've always considered it better to find the guys who slipped the farthest through the cracks. For example, I'm pretty happy with getting the 17th overall draft pick (Sanheim) with my 40th overall mock pick. I consider that a +23.

Can't believe I'm explaining this. ;)

See, I wasn't even looking at that scenario. I'm just saying that if we pick a guy 15th that went 40th, some will write -25, while some will write +25 (both for the same reasons, he went 25 spots after I said he was going to be picked but interpret the +/- differently. But you are totally right. For the fun of that exercice, it is better to pick a guy late that goes sooner. As picking a guy too soon means that you've missed on the real value. So you are right. But if we take Blind Guardian example, I think that if we would have wanted to calculate a total, it would be my understanding that we should use pluses when it's in our favor, and minuses when it's not. Which he's not doing....but I also can understand why. He chose Mayo 59, went 133 but he writes + 74, probably a reason why Overlords say "good job". So I understand that he was actually picked 74 spots after...but we should probably write -74 instead....Anyway....

By the way, the whole "I can't believe" wasn't a shot at you....I was just actually laughing at myself that I took the time to explain something like that. Like I make it sound so official and it's not really that big of a deal.....But that's me....sometimes. (Nobody needs to add "Not sometimes....all the time".)

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
:sharks

All done for The Sharks

25. John Quenneville
55. Alex Nedeljkovic
56. Joshua Jacobs
86. Brett Lernout
139. Christian Dvorak
176. Ryan Rehill

Looks like I had a pretty good draft

John Quenneville went 30th
Alex Nedeljkovic went 37th
Joshua Jacobs went 41st
Brett Lernout went 73rd
Christian Dvorak went 58th
Ryan Rehill went 131st

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003

Joshua Jacobs went 41st
Brett Lernout went 73rd
Ryan Rehill went 131st

We have a winner! Good job.

MarkovtoSubban

Mar 11, 2009
Toronto
16- Kasperi Kapanen, LW, KalPa FEL went 22 to PIT (-6)

47- Chase DeLeo, C, Portland WHL went 99 to WPG (-52)

63- Austin Poganski, RW, Tri-City, USHL went 110 to STL ( -47)

77- Shane Eiserman, LW, Dubuque, USHL went 100 to OTT ( -23)

107-Dominic Turgeon, C, Portland, WHL went 63 to DET (+44)

197- Ryan Mantha, D, Indiana, USHL went 104 to NYR (+93)

My math isn't that good...but I think I broke even!

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax

Joshua Jacobs went 41st
Brett Lernout went 73rd
Ryan Rehill went 131st

Harder to go too wrong with 4 picks in the first 3 rounds. ;) But yeah, you killed this one.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
For me;

Drafted
Nikita Scherbak (26th) +0
Brett Pollock (45th) -12
Brycen Martin (74th) -17
Elvis Merzlikins (76th) +48
Dylan Sadowy (81st) +6

Undrafted
Mads Eller
Aston Sautner
Colby Cave
Danny Moynihan

Blues real picks (keep in mind all of their picks ended up being higher)
Robby Fabbri
Ivan Barbashev
Maxim Letunov
Jake Wallman
Austin Poganski
Jaedon Descheneau
Chandler Yakimowicz
Samuel Blais
Dwyer Tschantz

I'm still confident in my undrafted players as well. I refuse to call this draft a poor one until I see what the bottom four can do after junior.

I definitely see Cave and Sautner as good chances to make the NHL.

Eller's speed gives him every chance to make the NHL and Moynihan can prove a lot this season when he actually gets a Top-6 role.

In the NHL draft, I saw a lot of teams taking chances in the later rounds on players who didn't show a lot. I'd rather take a chance on a couple guys who developed a year later and have them under my control.

Last edited:

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
You guys are really impressive in your knowledge of prospects. You should make it into more of a competition in the future.

To make the success of every set of picks quantifiable, I like what WTK does with his NDs: just posit that the player would be picked in round 8: i.e. position 271, and do the math from that standpoint for NDs.

Also, if you weight these equally, it isn't a real test of your hockey knowledge, because the likelihood of success of the guys coming out of the last few rounds is a lot less than the early rounds. You should penalize an ND a lot less in round 6 or 7 than in round 1 or 2, in other words. Although, I suppose, giving ND position 271 does exactly that. A lot less painful to have an ND at 270 than 30 then.

You can come up with more complicated weighting systems, but simplicity would be key for broad buy-in. One of you Java whizzes could implement something like this, or perhaps suggest to HFboards to put together such an implementation.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
11. Haydn Fleury 7 +4
42. John MacLeod 57 -15
46. Dominik Masin 35 +11
72. Jonas Johansson 61 +11
102. Noah Rod 53 +49
117. Brent Moran 115 +2
132. Alex Schoenborn 72 +60
162. Jacob Busch ND
192. Patrick Sanvido 195 -3

Seven players taken in the top four rounds....six in the top 72.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
11. Haydn Fleury 7 +4
42. John MacLeod 57 -15
46. Dominik Masin 35 +11
72. Jonas Johansson 61 +11
102. Noah Rod 53 +49
117. Brent Moran 115 +2
132. Alex Schoenborn 72 +60
162. Jacob Busch ND
192. Patrick Sanvido 195 -3

Seven players taken in the top four rounds....six in the top 72.

Awesome draft Grant. One of the best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad