Tribute The Official “Bring Back Jack” Thread

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Lol he hates the leafs
I think you’re confusing the outright devotion to your team that many of the media gives you vs a guy that is only 99% a Leaf homer . ;) We are thrilled when a media member, even our own local guys, are even 25% pro Oilers.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
I never realized how my personal reactions are so tied in with the commentators call until Singh completely missed calling Draisaitl's goal early in the game. There was a good 1 to 1.5 seconds after the goal was scored before Singh called it a goal, and I know that it was a hard shot that went under Quick and I personally didn't see it go in on TV, but that is what the commentators are there for, they're in the building, they're supposed to see that go in and make the call. If he didn't see it go in, I would rather him call the goal, then backtrack, and make some comment like "what a save by Quick!, everyone in the building thought it was in!" if quick had made the save, rather then just sitting on dead on while a goal is scored.

I know this may seem like a petty gripe, but it really truly affected my own reaction to the goal. Good play by play guys have the ability to raise the emotional investment of fans by using inflection and tone, and that is something Sigh just does not have the ability to do. Love him or hate him but Jack gets a person going with knowing when to inject emotion into his voice.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I honestly don't have an issue with Singh. He states the play by play very simply and keeps to the what's going on. I also like Jack quite a bit with his peculiar affectations to phrases, but he easily drifts from the point. I can see why Sportsnet would rather have him than Jack for the playoffs. Jack is probably a better fit in the regular season.

Marty McSurly

May 9, 2018
I never realized how my personal reactions are so tied in with the commentators call until Singh completely missed calling Draisaitl's goal early in the game. There was a good 1 to 1.5 seconds after the goal was scored before Singh called it a goal, and I know that it was a hard shot that went under Quick and I personally didn't see it go in on TV, but that is what the commentators are there for, they're in the building, they're supposed to see that go in and make the call. If he didn't see it go in, I would rather him call the goal, then backtrack, and make some comment like "what a save by Quick!, everyone in the building thought it was in!" if quick had made the save, rather then just sitting on dead on while a goal is scored.

I know this may seem like a petty gripe, but it really truly affected my own reaction to the goal. Good play by play guys have the ability to raise the emotional investment of fans by using inflection and tone, and that is something Sigh just does not have the ability to do. Love him or hate him but Jack gets a person going with knowing when to inject emotion into his voice.

Randy Hahn on TBS also missed that goal. He was more excited about the penalty being called that he completely missed that the puck went in.

Not sure where these guys are broadcasting from, if they have an obstructed view, but it's funny that both play-by-play guys missed the same goal. (and Randy Hahn is a veteran pbp guy)

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
FWIW, Sharks announcer Randy Hahn calling the game on TBS. More subdued since it's a neutral game, but definitely one of my favorite guys.

Hearing him butcher Pulju’s name all game was painful (Poohooyarvi).

Randy Hahn on TBS also missed that goal. He was more excited about the penalty being called that he completely missed that the puck went in.

Not sure where these guys are broadcasting from, if they have an obstructed view, but it's funny that both play-by-play guys missed the same goal. (and Randy Hahn is a veteran pbp guy)

Ya it’s not really fair to blame Singh on that one. Everyone missed it

Reactions: Marty McSurly

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
Hearing him butcher Pulju’s name all game was painful (Poohooyarvi).

Ya it’s not really fair to blame Singh on that one. Everyone missed it
Kinda is though, the view they have from the press box is quite different from the view we have at home. I would understand it if they were still broadcasting remotely and have the same view as the people at home, but they're in the building, neither broadcaster should miss that.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

You're a bit hard on Singh on that goal. He just needed to see their arms go up, then hug, and then go by the bench for high fives, just to be absolutely certain before making the call.:D

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Singh is competent. That is all. I'd say his read of the game is still off, getting excited at the wrong time, noting shot passes as shooting wide, little things like that. But overall he can get the job done.

The thing is, Jack is much better still and the majority of Oilers fans like him more and would prefer his calls. Better accuracy, better vocabulary, better insights, deeper understanding of the team, and way better emotion. It just seems illogical to me that Rogers, who's job is to give the Fans the best presentation they can muster, choose to give us a subpar one. Not that big of a deal at the end of the day, but just another reason to dislike Rogers amongst many others.

Agreed with all except the bolded - Jack'sa great PBP guy, but he butchers the English language relentlessly.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Muckhan Singh is getting better. I’d still prefer Jack but he’s been pretty good.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Honestly Singh has been bringing a lot more energy and actually seems to get excited about some of the Oilers plays. I thought he was flat out good last night.

Having said that, Jack Michaels absolutely deserves a game. There should be a push to Sportsnet to schedule Jack for a game in round 2 because they are likely going through that process now.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Muckhan Singh is getting better. I’d still prefer Jack but he’s been pretty good.

Honestly Singh has been bringing a lot more energy and actually seems to get excited about some of the Oilers plays. I thought he was flat out good last night.

Having said that, Jack Michaels absolutely deserves a game. There should be a push to Sportsnet to schedule Jack for a game in round 2 because they are likely going through that process now.
I've actually found the last couple games flatter because of him. I think he had a sore throat or something that helped him earlier in the series but now he is back to his monotone.

Jack at his worst is >>> Singh at his best.

Reactions: harpoon

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
If Jack wanted to put his thesaurus away, take a Language Art class, stop screaming, and call actual PBP, he can come back. I don't like Singh but he's not ruining my game experience, I don't even hear him. Jack just screams at me.

Reactions: oilers'72

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
You know, i fully support jack on tv. It just means the more talented radio broadcaster cam moon gets to call the game. Nothing against Singh but Jack n boob make a travesty of the ched broadcast. A preventable crime...

Cam Moon is the best of the three. Decent Dub goalie and a guy that put in the time and miles building up his play-by-play calling on the junior loop. Both experiences and deep understanding of the game enable him to call the game and build into a crescendo calling it at appropriate moments. Michaels drifts into a bit of a used car salesman vibe with weird asides in the middle of his play calling - more limited in this tv broadcast work - but clearly a bad habit gleaned having been hired by and stapled with a commentator with midget hockey level experience and an egoist mentality that bleeds into all his on-air work as a paid PR staffer of the Oilers organization. Less is more with Michaels and when he can control his urges to ramble he has good vocal range and can build excitement for big moments in a game.

Singh is a work-in-progress and a pretty compelling personal story of pursuing his dream despite a lot of barriers (the article link provided in this thread is well worth the read). His play calling experience is unfolding at the highest level of competition and largest, most sophisticated audiences unlike the overwhelming majority like Moon and Michaels that had to toil for years in lesser years. Singh is adapting his call to the broader audience from Punjabi HNIC and he is finding his footing. He's improving a ton imo and has been solid in this series. His vocal range is somewhat limited which challenges with some of the peak play calling of the other two. Kind of reminds me of a young Dave Randorf when he joined HNIC with flat, more monotone range in play calling but who's grown into a very solid play by play guy.

Singh's calling has been just fine in this series. His journey to get here is pretty remarkable.

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Cam Moon is the best of the three. Decent Dub goalie and a guy that put in the time and miles building up his play-by-play calling on the junior loop. Both experiences and deep understanding of the game enable him to call the game and build into a crescendo calling it at appropriate moments. Michaels drifts into a bit of a used car salesman vibe with weird asides in the middle of his play calling - more limited in this tv broadcast work - but clearly a bad habit gleaned having been hired by and stapled with a commentator with midget hockey level experience and an egoist mentality that bleeds into all his on-air work as a paid PR staffer of the Oilers organization. Less is more with Michaels and when he can control his urges to ramble he has good vocal range and can build excitement for big moments in a game.

Singh is a work-in-progress and a pretty compelling personal story of pursuing his dream despite a lot of barriers (the article link provided in this thread is well worth the read). His play calling experience is unfolding at the highest level of competition and largest, most sophisticated audiences unlike the overwhelming majority like Moon and Michaels that had to toil for years in lesser years. Singh is adapting his call to the broader audience from Punjabi HNIC and he is finding his footing. He's improving a ton imo and has been solid in this series. His vocal range is somewhat limited which challenges with some of the peak play calling of the other two. Kind of reminds me of a young Dave Randorf when he joined HNIC with flat, more monotone range in play calling but who's grown into a very solid play by play guy.

Singh's calling has been just fine in this series. His journey to get here is pretty remarkable.
I agree he is getting a bit better (I think someone may have given him some advice/ a talking to, and to his credit, he's taken it). I realize he's had a remarkable and inspirational journey to get to this point, and is to be commended, but let's not let that narrative take precedence over the main issue of where we are now and how he is in a position at the very highest level of his profession, and certain expectations need to be met. Canadian hockey fan audiences are a highly sophisticated group, believe it or not, and expect a certain level of nuances and cues to their listening appetites. Broadcasters like Foster Hewitt (and his son Bill), Danny Gallivan and others set the standard, and others have followed with success (like our own Rod Phillips). If Singh can somehow find his way to refining his craft, he may have a chance to have a long career.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I agree he is getting a bit better (I think someone may have given him some advice/ a talking to, and to his credit, he's taken it). I realize he's had a remarkable and inspirational journey to get to this point, and is to be commended, but let's not let that narrative take precedence over the main issue of where we are now and how he is in a position at the very highest level of his profession, and certain expectations need to be met. Canadian hockey fan audiences are a highly sophisticated group, believe it or not, and expect a certain level of nuances and cues to their listening appetites. Broadcasters like Foster Hewitt (and his son Bill), Danny Gallivan and others set the standard, and others have followed with success (like our own Rod Phillips). If Singh can somehow find his way to refining his craft, he may have a chance to have a long career.

Fair post and comments. The function of play calling and commentating is subjective. The names you mention are legends of a time and era when we got mainly one broadcast game filtered through Central Canada and different than the billion dollar big business where every game is widely broadcast. The Canadian market seems to be in transition with some of its old guard retiring (Hughson), poached to U.S. broadcasters (Randorf, Miller), the elite experienced group seems to be thinning out somewhat, so some new blood is needed and with differing cultural considerations than yesteryear new doors are being opened.

I think Singh has been fine. I feel there has been improvement. Seems to work well with Debrusk. Watching a game though I take my cues moreso from what I see and less what I hear (unless I'm pulled out of watching by a bizarre personal anecdote of a 1984 U.S. college football game or the like).

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
You know what's funny?

Twitch streamers became widely popular playing videogames, largely cuz they recreated the same atmosphere and vibe as getting blitzed with your college dorm'mates, eating pizza, while playing hours of Goldeneye on a Friday after South Park.

I wonder what it would feel like if the games were commentated by hilarious and charismatic fans, who were drunk and overreactive.

I mean Rod Phillips commentated the games with that kind of verve. Like I was listening to a dude who was genuinely having the time of his life. At his best, he was by far the most enjoyable. Listening to him reminds me so much of watching at the BP's on Whyte with my mates and a few pitchers and a plate of shitty wings, while having the time of our lives.

As a visible minority, I'd much rather have THAT than having more representation. Cassie Campbell has the personality of a wet sock, and Singh commentates the games like he just doesn't want to be there, and sounds artificially forced. Cuthberg and Millen could be replaced by a monotone live-reading bot, and I wouldn't even know the difference.

Last edited:

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
While Singh still is slow making calls and is quite flat, he has improved by leaps and bounds. Michaels can go of on tangents but his excitement makes games more enjoyable. All in all I still wish Moon called the games.

Last edited:

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
It’s amazing the kind of crap broadcast people are willing to put up with. Been watching TNT and it’s night and day. No cute back stories, just professionalism and a panel of guys who know what they are talking about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad