Tribute The Official “Bring Back Jack” Thread

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Since the Rogers Sportsnet broadcast schedule was released a couple of days ago, OVER THREE THOUSAND Edmonton fans have put their names on the dotted line for the WWW.CHANGE.ORG/BRINGBACKJACK Petition.

I’m creating this thread so that we can have a space to engage and discuss strategy moving forward to give the petition a chance at making a difference. I hope that any HF Oilers fans that have been frustrated with Rogers Sportsnet during their exclusive broadcasting deal will take a second to contribute their thoughts here. I intend to post an update to the CHANGE petition shortly to thank signatories and refocus the Petition. Many awesome people have been tweeting, posting, and discussing the petition online and frankly having these discussions publicly is probably more impactful than the petition itself. TWEET @ SPORTS/EDMONTON MEDIA If you can spare a minute!

Here is a list of actions/info so far:

- Over 3000 Signatures​
- Dozens of POSITIVE comments on CHANGE about Jack, NO Negative Comments About Others​
- Tweeted directly @ many Edmonton sports media and some national (SpittinChiclets, Sportsnet, TSN)​
- Tweeted directly @ several Sportsnet producers located via LinkedIn​
- Posted on OilersNation comments​
- Posted on HfBoards​
- Posted on Reddit/EdmontonOilers​
- Filled out Global News local news reporting form​
So How have people responded? HUGE Majority support Jack Michaels over any others. Have encountered 2 or 3 people who prefer another broadcaster.​
How have Edmonton Sports Media responded? COWARDLY. Most have ignored, some have indicated that they FEAR being associated with sexist/racist types that they believe have been attacking the non-Jack broadcasters online. I have not seen much/any of this as it relates to the petition but almost ALL of the Sports Media have completely disregarded on this basis so far. Sportsnet producers have also been quiet as expected, but I always assumed it would take a lot more than 3,000 to get to them.​
My only suggestions from here are this:​
- PLEASE be positive and optimistic. There is no point in cynicism here. There is NO VALUE in negative comments about other broadcasters and if anyone is doing this it is scaring off possible supporters.​
- Let’s focus on a DIRECT & ACTIONABLE ASK. We will NOT ask Sportsnet to take any games away from anyone. We will simply ask that they give Jack Michaels be allowed to call a game that is as yet unscheduled. I don’t think game 7 broadcasters have been announced and there is always the 2nd round. This makes acting much easier if Sportsnet did decide to play ball.​
- If we are going to increase the petition numbers meaningfully from this point, we will need people/media with more followers to get on board and retweet. If we want to keep building momentum, this is the most important aspect to take care of and it is something that we can ALL do if we have the time. Please post twitter users, news accounts, or other suggestions for individuals/organizations that we can collectively @tweet or otherwise influence to sign and signal boost. If you are the type to call in to radio shows or have other ideas on how to amplify the signal, please share Here!​

Anyways, this has nothing to do with me personally, and I’ve been going around using my individual accounts to help push the word around (might not be ideal?) Maybe we should create a #BRINGBACKJACK and help get this more distributed. Other people have honestly done more and better job of getting the word out than I have, and I hope that will continue! This belongs to Oilers fans and everyone who took the time to sign the petition. It is the 2nd most signatures for any CHANGE petition related to the Edmonton Oilers Already. (1st is renaming the community rink for Joey Moss)
BELIEVE that fans/customers have power over corporations. If we can finally break through to Sportsnet on this small CHANGE, maybe they will start to take our views into consideration in the future.​

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I don't care who calls the games, Jack isn't going to make things better if we lose.

If you're not going to watch because Jack isn't calling the game I feel sorry for you.

Reactions: Mr Positive

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Its 2022. The media just has to say any opposition to anything is racist or sexist. End of argument, easy way out of the argument. The petition will not do anything on its own unless it can get to the point that they fear they are going to actually lose viewership/$ unfortunately.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
I don't care who calls the games, Jack isn't going to make things better if we lose.

If you're not going to watch because Jack isn't calling the game I feel sorry for you.

Yeah people are pretty disturbed if they're hockey fans and placing this much importance in who's calling the game.

Let's not kid ourselves we know the real reason we have a petition for play by play for the first time in NHL history.
Post automatically merged:

Since the Rogers Sportsnet broadcast schedule was released a couple of days ago, OVER THREE THOUSAND Edmonton fans have put their names on the dotted line for the WWW.CHANGE.ORG/BRINGBACKJACK Petition.

Here is a list of actions/info so far:

- Over 3000 Signatures​
- Dozens of POSITIVE comments on CHANGE about Jack, NO Negative Comments About Others​
- Tweeted directly @ many Edmonton sports media and some national (SpittinChiclets, Sportsnet, TSN)​
- Tweeted directly @ several Sportsnet producers located via LinkedIn​
- Posted on OilersNation comments​
- Posted on HfBoards​
- Posted on Reddit/EdmontonOilers​
- Filled out Global News local news reporting form​

Holy cringe. It's play by play.

Reactions: PBandJ

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
We're there 200 viral petitions that the activists setup for him? Really? Even 1?

The ignorance that you’ve chosen to display publicly here is frankly astounding. Take a look in the mirror. The one thing I asked was that we focus on optimism and positivity and your narcissistic illiberal ass had to come in here and try to make yourself feel superior to thousands of Edmontonians who just want to support a great broadcaster who has busted his ass for hundreds of regular season games with no reward come playoff time. He is the most entertaining broadcaster we’ve had since maybe Ray Ferraro and its really such a mystery to you why we want to support him? No. You know better, but you think that you can come in here and satisfy your thirst for self-aggrandizement by belittling others. Go enjoy the smell of your own farts somewhere else.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
The ignorance that you’ve chosen to display publicly here is frankly astounding. Take a look in the mirror. The one thing I asked was that we focus on optimism and positivity and your narcissistic illiberal ass had to come in here and try to make yourself feel superior to thousands of Edmontonians who just want to support a great broadcaster who has busted his ass for hundreds of regular season games with no reward come playoff time. He is the most entertaining broadcaster we’ve had since maybe Ray Ferraro and its really such a mystery to you why we want to support him? No. You know better, but you think that you can come in here and satisfy your thirst for self-aggrandizement by belittling others. Go enjoy the smell of your own farts somewhere else.

It's a simple question Mr positivity which radiates with your response.

There are 16 teams playing. Do the other 15 have their "ideal" play by play guy? Lol only the Oilers don't?

Please direct me to the Flames petition. Or the leafs Sportsnet tweet about play by play change.

Can you do that Mr positivity? Of course not. Like I said we all know perfectly well why this is an isolated incident.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
I signed it. I don't love Jack, but emotionless Singh in the playoffs is a travesty

Yeah people are pretty disturbed if they're hockey fans and placing this much importance in who's calling the game.

Let's not kid ourselves we know the real reason we have a petition for play by play for the first time in NHL history.

Cmon now. Singh is constantly behind the play, has very little emotion or build up in his voice and just isn't great at the job.

Nice of you to try and blanket everyone as a racist as if you know the race of everyone who posts here.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
It's a simple question Mr positivity which radiates with your response.

There are 16 teams playing. Do the other 15 have their "ideal" play by play guy? Lol only the Oilers don't?

Please direct me to the Flames petition. Or the leafs Sportsnet tweet about play by play change.

Can you do that Mr positivity? Of course not. Like I said we all know perfectly well why this is an isolated incident.

The flames regional broadcaster Rick Ball was allowed to continue for the playoffs, that is more than we have asked for Jack Michaels. They also let Cassie loose to go do American broadcasts of LAK/EDM.

The Leafs get the most veteran, experienced, professional broadcast team available to CBC/Sportsnet, including an Edmonton Oilers dynasty player.

The Oilers are the only Canadian team that is being treated differently. So yes, you are completely wrong, but I suspect you already knew that.

Practically, the only thing you “know perfectly well” if you have read this far, is that you are a complete ignoramus.

This is not an isolated incident, in fact there have been multiple petitions in past years about Sportsnet decisions impacting the Oilers broadcast. They do not take the views of the fanbase into account when making decisions. They do treat Montreal and Toronto differently.

So once again, other than derailing this thread and making yourself look like a complete jackass, do you have any business here? I hope your mother doesn’t know The type of person you’ve become.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
The flames regional broadcaster Rick Ball was allowed to continue for the playoffs, that is more than we have asked for Jack Michaels. They also let Cassie loose to go do American broadcasts of LAK/EDM.

The Leafs get the most veteran, experienced, professional broadcast team available to CBC/Sportsnet, including an Edmonton Oilers dynasty player.

The Oilers are the only Canadian team that is being treated differently. So yes, you are completely wrong, but I suspect you already knew that.

Practically, the only thing you “know perfectly well” if you have read this far, is that you are a complete ignoramus.

This is not an isolated incident, in fact there have been multiple petitions in past years about Sportsnet decisions impacting the Oilers broadcast. They do not take the views of the fanbase into account when making decisions. They do treat Montreal and Toronto differently.

So once again, other than derailing this thread and making yourself look like a complete jackass, do you have any business here? I hope your mother doesn’t know The type of person you’ve become.

Whoa Mr positivity what on earth has happened? Gee I'm so shocked you have become so verbally unhinged with comprehensive list of changing the Oilers play by play.

I said there are 16 team and I've never seen in history a petition and a viral movement to change the play by play in the NHL. Once again you've gone on some silly tangent when I've asked a simple question show me one time there has been a petition to change the NHL play by play for any playoff team. I'm opening this to 16 teams in literally any season this century. You have easily 100s for a sample size.

Can you provide one? Of course not.

I signed it. I don't love Jack, but emotionless Singh in the playoffs is a travesty

Cmon now. Singh is constantly behind the play, has very little emotion or build up in his voice and just isn't great at the job.

Nice of you to try and blanket everyone as a racist as if you know the race of everyone who posts here.

I'm not a fan of singh at all. I don't really lose sleep over who calls the games and if you asked me absolutely I prefer micheals.

What's hilarious is the outrage we have like op noted where he has been up day and night trying to impact change. Lol he claims this is about positivity for Jack and gets hyper aggressive if you ask why this has never happened before in the playoffs.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Whoa Mr positivity what on earth has happened? Gee I'm so shocked you have become so verbally unhinged with comprehensive list of changing the Oilers play by play.

I said there are 16 team and I've never seen in history a petition and a viral movement to change the play by play in the NHL. Once again you've gone on some silly tangent when I've asked a simple question show me one time there has been a petition to change the NHL play by play for any playoff team. I'm opening this to 16 teams in literally any season this century. You have easily 100s for a sample size.

Can you provide one? Of course not.

I literally mentioned that there have been multiple petitions about Oilers broadcasters alone. There was one about Jack Michaels last Season. You’re also pretending to be illiterate now? Looks good on you.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
I literally mentioned that there have been multiple petitions about Oilers broadcasters alone. There was one about Jack Michaels last Season. You’re also pretending to be illiterate now? Looks good on you.

You're outright making things up now. Show where there was a petition last playoffs 2021 Edmonton Winnipeg or any playoffs for any team.

I don't debate there is a collective meltdown anytime Singh or Cassie calls a regular season game here. Didn't always result in a petition but I've never seen a single playoff petition for any change micheals or anyone else.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007

Some people think Harnaryan is bad luck because we got swept the last time he called the games. Some hockey players are superstitious like that. But there are some people that believe Jack has the good mojo. I have seen a lot of different reasons why people want Jack calling the games, MOST of them positive.

Reactions: oilers'72

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Some people think Harnaryan is bad luck because we got swept the last time he called the games. Some hockey players are superstitious like that. But there are some people that believe Jack has the good mojo. I have seen a lot of different reasons why people want Jack calling the games, MOST of them positive.
There’s nothing stopping you from using the radio.

Reactions: redgrant

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Lol you're silly little petition isn't going to change anything. The broadcast team has already been selected and you're getting Singh like it or not.
The staff for broadcasts have only been announced for the first few games. There will be a 2nd round. We are only asking for Jack to get 1 game in the playoffs. Its not impossible. Many of the signatories do like Singh. This isn’t about him. It’s about Jack. Also, you should work on ”you’re” spelling and punctuation, your cynicism, and your putrid attitude. Have a nice day!

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
The staff for broadcasts have only been announced for the first few games. There will be a 2nd round. We are only asking for Jack to get 1 game in the playoffs. Its not impossible. Many of the signatories do like Singh. This isn’t about him. It’s about Jack. Also, you should work on ”you’re” spelling and punctuation, your cynicism, and your putrid attitude. Have a nice day!

[MOD]

Are you unable to address this without getting hyper defensive and resorting to ad hominem attacks?

He raises a valid point as you still have the radio.

Ok you got your petition and you still do have a radio option available. It's going to be very interesting to see a "new" petition next round and going forward to show "it wasn't about singh at all".

Have a nice day!

Last edited by a moderator:

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Are you unable to address this without getting hyper defensive and resorting to ad hominem attacks?

He raises a valid point as you still have the radio.

Ok you got your petition and you still do have a radio option available. It's going to be very interesting to see a "new" petition next round and going forward to show "it wasn't about singh at all".

Have a nice day!

How is that a valid point? It has nothing to do with what we’re talking about. Its deflecting the issue. We can always pirate the games from LAK feed. We can always attend the games in person in the owners suite and eat caviar and drink champagne with Darryl Katz. How does that address the issue of Rogers Sportsnet imposing broadcast changes on the Edmonton market and unjustly removing one of the best broadcasters in the business from his role? How about Cam? He is bumped off the radio calls now as a run-on effect. You’ve been wrong about literally everything you’ve said in this thread and confronted with your incomprehension and false claims you double down again and again. There’s no need to continue.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
How is that a valid point? It has nothing to do with what we’re talking about. Its deflecting the issue. We can always pirate the games from LAK feed. We can always attend the games in person in the owners suite and eat caviar and drink champagne with Darryl Katz. How does that address the issue of Rogers Sportsnet imposing broadcast changes on the Edmonton market and unjustly removing one of the best broadcasters in the business from his role? How about Cam? He is bumped off the radio calls now as a run-on effect. You’ve been wrong about literally everything you’ve said in this thread and confronted with your incomprehension and false claims you double down again and again. There’s no need to continue.

I haven't been wrong about anything you're just getting hyper defensive once again seeing that your petition which is only going to have people angry singh is calling is not representative of all fans like you see here.

So now the issue is no longer you can't access micheals? You perceive turning on your radio and watching the game on tv the equivalent of "eating caviar with Katz".

Since this is all about Jack you still have an option. I don't know how legally listening to the radio and watching on TV is anything like pirating games on the LA feed. Why would you need to pirate those games? Lol because singh is calling?

Your new point of attack is "oh no Cam Moon though". It's funny you're so worried about Cam Moon and insist Singh shouldn't be working.

Go ahead have your petition I'm sure Sportsnet is going to tell you that you still have a Micheals option.

It's not rocket science turn on the tv press mute turn on the radio.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad