Tribute The Official “Bring Back Jack” Thread

Biltmore

Next Year...
Oct 22, 2015
Can't stand Jack when he tries to put his "Big Boy Voice" on after some action and his non-stop filler info is enuf to have me working the Mute Button constantly. I'll take Singh any day.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
I was not one way or another about Michaels on radio but the guy is great on TV. His tangential stories are way more tolerable because I can still see the game. 6/10 radio but an easy 9.5 on TV. We have no excitement from Singh and he's pretty bland.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Can't stand Jack when he tries to put his "Big Boy Voice" on after some action and his non-stop filler info is enuf to have me working the Mute Button constantly. I'll take Singh any day.
I'm very happy to see a game in which 8 goals are being scored and 7 of them are actually called. With Michaels in realtime it would be the embarassment of talking about a movie while the goal is scored, telling a *joke*, cackling at his own banter, and basically doing anything other than calling the play. At least last night we wouldn't be hearing him "That puck stayed out" on dozens of our shots.

What is it with Debrusk btw when he's not with Michaels. Its like he turns into Remenda. The Oilers won 8-2 and Debrusk was talking about dark clouds all night. What is wrong with him?

Reactions: ZJuice

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Mediocre again tonight. Yes it was a blowout but that hat trick non-call was a travesty.
the hat trick non-call was a learning moment for him. I mentioned how lame it was in the GDT. Overall Singh was good IMHO but it was like he didn't want to interrupt Debrusk's story. In the future Singh's got to just yell over DeBrusk like he isn't there and not worry about being polite.

Reactions: ZJuice

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
the hat trick non-call was a learning moment for him. I mentioned how lame it was in the GDT. Overall Singh was good IMHO but it was like he didn't want to interrupt Debrusk's story. In the future Singh's got to just yell over DeBrusk like he isn't there and not worry about being polite.
Debrusk was really off. Like I mentioned. Like something is wrong with him. It was strange. It was as if he didn't even like seeing a successful Oilers club like this and maybe comparing it to what his playing, and playing days are like. He's a nice man, and self deprecating a lot, but he seemed to have trouble last night with the Oilers having such success. He kept trying to throw shade over it. "oilers better be careful here" "Kings are really coming"

ffs that the Broadcast, the Oilers broadcast actually did the Miracle on Manchester segment before the 3rd period. What kind of asshat thing is that to do? I could see the Kings broadcast doing that. Why would the Oilers broadcast be spewing worst possible negativity? We're used to the broadcasts being bad, then they get worse.

Kinibo

Apr 11, 2013
Debrusk was really off. Like I mentioned. Like something is wrong with him. It was strange. It was as if he didn't even like seeing a successful Oilers club like this and maybe comparing it to what his playing, and playing days are like. He's a nice man, and self deprecating a lot, but he seemed to have trouble last night with the Oilers having such success. He kept trying to throw shade over it. "oilers better be careful here" "Kings are really coming"

ffs that the Broadcast, the Oilers broadcast actually did the Miracle on Manchester segment before the 3rd period. What kind of asshat thing is that to do? I could see the Kings broadcast doing that. Why would the Oilers broadcast be spewing worst possible negativity? We're used to the broadcasts being bad, then they get worse.
I’ve been wondering if all the regional broadcast teams have been told to tone down the homerism during the playoffs. Would make sense if they’re all being televised nationally, but i don’t know.

I really don’t care for Louie as a colour man and I can’t say I fully understand his popularity. I can’t remember when he’s ever said anything that I didn’t already know. Great guy I’m sure, but it’s like he came to the job with about six canned catchphrases (shooting mentality, nose for the net, stay in the fight, etc.) and just repeats them for every broadcast. You could almost record his commentary for one game and overlay it on to the next, and never be able to tell the difference.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
the hat trick non-call was a learning moment for him. I mentioned how lame it was in the GDT
‘Learning moments’ in the SC Playoffs? OK then.

ffs that the Broadcast, the Oilers broadcast actually did the Miracle on Manchester segment before the 3rd period. What kind of asshat thing
The Kings crew did it as well. They also had a nice intermission panel with knowledgeable folks making reasonable comments. Nice to see Anson Carter. Always liked him. Their play by play was homer-ish, but professional and followed the rhythm of the game. They also gave the Oilers plenty of credit. I did not have to see Hrudey, Gene or Singh. I’m never watching another Oilers ‘home’ broadcast again. f*** em.

Last edited:

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Don't see the point in replacing Singh with Micheals. Going from monotonous, dull commentary to dull commentary punctuated with words randomly being shouted is a side grade at best.

Debrusk is absolutely terrible, and makes anyone who works with him sound worse by proxy and he is a noticeable drag on both Singh/Micheals. Can't make any noise about dissatisfaction in his work though, or Sportsnet will take it as an excuse to inflict torture on a larger portion of the population with Cassie Campbell.

What we should do though, is setup a petition to replace Scott Oake with Gene Principle. He's significantly more entertaining, and despite his penchant for goofy dad jokes and puns; he is somehow significantly less cringe when interviewing players and doing small segments.

Reactions: oilers'72

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
‘Learning moments’ in the SC Playoffs? OK then.

The Kings crew did it as well. They also had a nice intermission panel with knowledgeable folks making reasonable comments. Nice to see Anson Carter. Always liked him. Their play by play was homer-ish, but professional and followed the rhythm of the game. They also gave the Oilers plenty of credit. I did not have to see Hrudey, Gene or Singh. I’m never watching another Oilers ‘home’ broadcast again. f*** em.

Anson Carter was a good addition here and seemed to like playing here. He's grown into a good broadcaster. I saw that panel in a couple of the games in the AV's series. I think its a similar panel. Gretz, Carter and others.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

I don’t want the PBP guy or color guy to be over the top homers, but just enough that you know they are the home team crew. Wasn’t offended at all my Louie’s comments. I thought the Kings effort was outstanding last night, likely as well as they can play, so a few nice words about their play was fine. Singh was behind the play too much, especially on a few of his goal calls. But heck, we won 8-2, I’m not gonna be too critical of anything or anybody, don’t sweat the small stuff sort of thing.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don’t want the PBP guy or color guy to be over the top homers, but just enough that you know they are the home team crew. Wasn’t offended at all my Louie’s comments. I thought the Kings effort was outstanding last night, likely as well as they can play, so a few nice words about their play was fine. Singh was behind the play too much, especially on a few of his goal calls. But heck, we won 8-2, I’m not gonna be too critical of anything or anybody, don’t sweat the small stuff sort of thing.
Nah, it didn't bother me at all. Just pointing out that when Debrusk isn't with Michaels he turns into critical Remenda. He was spotting dark clouds all night in an 8-2W. I thought that was really odd. Kings have their own broadcast. It isn't like this was a Canadian broadcast of two Canadian clubs and a need to be impartial.

Reactions: bellagiobob

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Nah, it didn't bother me at all. Just pointing out that when Debrusk isn't with Michaels he turns into critical Remenda. He was spotting dark clouds all night in an 8-2W. I thought that was really odd. Kings have their own broadcast. It isn't like this was a Canadian broadcast of two Canadian clubs and a need to be impartial.
Louie is just more comfortable with Jack, they make a great pair. The chemistry between Singh and Louie really hasn’t improved from day 1 of their tenure. I think Louie might try too hard when he is with Singh, like a player does when covering for a teammates deficiency, he gets away a bit from his own game. With Jack, Louie has a limited amount of time to talk. ;) With Singh, much more dead air space that needs to be filled.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

I know what you mean but I’m glad we have a guy learning on the job on the biggest stage when we could have someone (not even necessarily Jack) who matches the energy of the game. Singh’s calls last night were suitable to junior AAA, and even then…

At first I thought i was mistaken that it was a hat trick or something - there was no realization from him that it was for some time.

Guy was zoned out, regardless of Louie’s banter. Amateur hour clown show. Glad I don’t pay for Sportsnet anymore. Maybe more people would pay if they upped the production quality (not just pbp choices, but production, service, analysis - get rid of McLean for ex)

Reactions: harpoon

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
I know what you mean but I’m glad we have a guy learning on the job on the biggest stage when we could have someone (not even necessarily Jack) who matches the energy of the game. Singh’s calls last night were suitable to junior AAA, and even then…

Guy was zoned out, regardless of Louie’s banter. Amateur hour clown show. Glad I don’t pay for Sportsnet anymore. Maybe more people would pay if they upped the production quality (not just pbp choices, but production, service, analysis - get rid of McLean for ex)
I watch on Shaw satellite so don't stream the game and have the option of the LA feed, otherwise I likely would give it a try. We are fortunate that he doesn't do the vibrato thing anymore though.

Anyway, what's the petition at?

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
I watch on Shaw satellite so don't stream the game and have the option of the LA feed, otherwise I likely would give it a try. We are fortunate that he doesn't do the vibrato thing anymore though.

Anyway, what's the petition at?
Now that he stopped that vibrato shit I am completely fine watching the SN broadcast. Only time I notice is when exciting stuff is happening and I don’t hear talking.. just silence/waiting.

And wtf is with Debrusk? He had many words for the refs before the playoffs started and now he sounds depressed. Missing Michaels? :(

It’s at 3,621. Pretty sure it’s on its final legs

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
The flames regional broadcaster Rick Ball was allowed to continue for the playoffs, that is more than we have asked for Jack Michaels. They also let Cassie loose to go do American broadcasts of LAK/EDM.

The Leafs get the most veteran, experienced, professional broadcast team available to CBC/Sportsnet, including an Edmonton Oilers dynasty player.

The Oilers are the only Canadian team that is being treated differently. So yes, you are completely wrong, but I suspect you already knew that.

Practically, the only thing you “know perfectly well” if you have read this far, is that you are a complete ignoramus.

This is not an isolated incident, in fact there have been multiple petitions in past years about Sportsnet decisions impacting the Oilers broadcast. They do not take the views of the fanbase into account when making decisions. They do treat Montreal and Toronto differently.

So once again, other than derailing this thread and making yourself look like a complete jackass, do you have any business here? I hope your mother doesn’t know The type of person you’ve become.
Yes, they cared so much about the feeling of leaf fans we had to deal with Jim freakin Hughson who hates the team gleefully cheer for the opposition every game, not to mention Craig Simpson who also openly hates Toronto.
Give your head a shake.

• Haha

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Yes, they cared so much about the feeling of leaf fans we had to deal with Jim freakin Hughson who hates the team gleefully cheer for the opposition every game, not to mention Craig Simpson who also openly hates Toronto.
Give your head a shake.
Simmer gave up his Oiler card years ago and is quite comfy in his Leaf PJ’s. He doesn’t even try to hide his Leaf bias.

Reactions: oilers'72 and TB12

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Jack is fine until he decides to start screaming, then it gets super annoying. A calmer Jack is great. lol.

Singh is just atrocious in every single way. There's not one great quality he has when calling a game. How he even is in the business is beyond me. He's bad at his job. Plain and simple.

Reactions: harpoon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad