OT: The Off Topic Thread - Mod Warning Post #474

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Mittens*

I bet they are the ones that can't spell loadies correctly.

18k3v1ua5q246gif.gif

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
What a rendition of "smelly cat" last night at Staples by Taylor Swift and Lisa Kudrow.

RP is hiding under Swift's tour bus just like "Sideshow Bob" in the Simpsons.

www.memrise.com_zpsca8s1bva.jpg

Jason Squirties

Apr 15, 2014
Try telling the families of that reporter and that cameraman that it's an "absurdly small percentage of the population (that) abuses their rights to own a weapon." Don't think your little speech would go over very well with them at all.

My little speech? I'm sorry that facts have a tendency to upset you.

Jeff18

Nov 12, 2014
My little speech? I'm sorry that facts have a tendency to upset you.

Those weren't facts though. They are your opinion.

What is a fact is that we have the greatest number of mass shootings in any developed country. Without our somewhat satisfactory education system, we are basically the same as those **** countries in the middle east. In fact the only time where you really hear of other mass shootings outside of the U.S. is when ISIS kills school children and blows up their buildings.

Jason Squirties

Apr 15, 2014
Those weren't facts though. They are your opinion.

What is a fact is that we have the greatest number of mass shootings in any developed country. Without our somewhat satisfactory education system, we are basically the same as those **** countries in the middle east. In fact the only time where you really hear of other mass shootings outside of the U.S. is when ISIS kills school children and blows up their buildings.

I'm not sure why you're now introducing mass shootings when it had nothing to do with the subject at hand that we were discussing.

Either way, what you have decided to add to this convo about that has been rebutted

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...-obama-correct-mass-killings-dont-happen-oth/

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I'm not sure why you're now introducing mass shootings when it had nothing to do with the subject at hand that we were discussing.

Either way, what you have decided to add to this convo about that has been rebutted

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...-obama-correct-mass-killings-dont-happen-oth/

Schildkraut and Elsass shared the summary information from their database with PolitiFact. Here’s their table:

The chart does show that the United States has more mass shootings -- and more people cumulatively killed or injured -- than the other 10 nations combined, partly because it has a much bigger population than all but China.

Can't quote the chart for some reason but if the writer would have taken 10 minutes and a calculator he could have determined that the combined population of the other countries he listed (besides China) is 396,862,917, or 78 million people more than the listed population of the United States. Yet those other countries, all nine of them, have combined for 19 shootings, 174 dead and 177 wounded. The US has 133 shootings, leaving 487 dead and 505 wounded.

The US doesn't have more shooting because it has a higher population.

Seems like the article is picking at Obama for saying shootings don't happen elsewhere, which, if he said that, is just wrong. Of course they happen elsewhere and they likely always will unfortunately as we will likely never find a way to identify and treat every person whose path leads this way.

If the article would just focus on that, fine. To imply that the rate of mass shootings is at all comparable to other western developed countries is just erroneous. Even Mexico, where economic conditions are poor for many and rampant gang and drug problems exist had one of the best rates on that chart.

Calculating it this way shows the United States in the upper half of the list of 11 countries, ranking higher than Australia, Canada, China, England, France, Germany and Mexico.

Still, the U.S. doesn’t rank No. 1. At 0.15 mass shooting fatalities per 100,000 people, the U.S. had a lower rate than Norway (1.3 per 100,000), Finland (0.34 per 100,000) and Switzerland (1.7 per 100,000).

The sole reason the US isn't number one by a landslide is because those states from Norway and Finland were from one incident and Switzerland had two. It could be argued that the rates of dead/wounded in those attacks were more due to the countries lack of preparedness for such an attack -due to not having to face such a situation before- than anything else. Look at Columbine. No one was prepared for that. These days there is far more protocol in place and awareness of the issue that allows people to react in a manner to help reduce the likelihood of a similar situation, as was displayed yesterday: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ff-with-police-in-west-virginia-10472659.html

Ron*

Not really. You quoted an article that declared the USA to be no. 1 in large countries in frequent mass shootings.

Perhaps you should read the articles before you link them.

Jason Squirties

Apr 15, 2014
Not really. You quoted an article that declared the USA to be no. 1 in large countries in frequent mass shootings.

Perhaps you should read the articles before you link them.

Perhaps, you might want to read it again.

Jason Squirties

Apr 15, 2014
Can't quote the chart for some reason but if the writer would have taken 10 minutes and a calculator he could have determined that the combined population of the other countries he listed (besides China) is 396,862,917, or 78 million people more than the listed population of the United States. Yet those other countries, all nine of them, have combined for 19 shootings, 174 dead and 177 wounded. The US has 133 shootings, leaving 487 dead and 505 wounded.

The US doesn't have more shooting because it has a higher population.

Seems like the article is picking at Obama for saying shootings don't happen elsewhere, which, if he said that, is just wrong. Of course they happen elsewhere and they likely always will unfortunately as we will likely never find a way to identify and treat every person whose path leads this way.

If the article would just focus on that, fine. To imply that the rate of mass shootings is at all comparable to other western developed countries is just erroneous. Even Mexico, where economic conditions are poor for many and rampant gang and drug problems exist had one of the best rates on that chart.

The sole reason the US isn't number one by a landslide is because those states from Norway and Finland were from one incident and Switzerland had two. It could be argued that the rates of dead/wounded in those attacks were more due to the countries lack of preparedness for such an attack -due to not having to face such a situation before- than anything else. Look at Columbine. No one was prepared for that. These days there is far more protocol in place and awareness of the issue that allows people to react in a manner to help reduce the likelihood of a similar situation, as was displayed yesterday: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ff-with-police-in-west-virginia-10472659.html
that's one way to look at it but that's certainly a different tune than "In fact the only time where you really hear of other mass shootings outside of the U.S. is when ISIS kills school children and blows up their buildings." which you were saying earlier.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
that's one way to look at it but that's certainly a different tune than "In fact the only time where you really hear of other mass shootings outside of the U.S. is when ISIS kills school children and blows up their buildings." which you were saying earlier.

Show me where I said anything remotely close to that. I'd love to see this post.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
As I said in the comment you quoted and got me mixed up with Jeff on apparently, I did make it very clear this does and will happen elsewhere

It's not that it happens elsewhere, it's the rate to which it happens that is the reason so many are calling on the US to follow suit in relating to gun control laws, or to at least start down the path towards gun control measures.

I think the issue really lies with the political system in the states. Money seems to talk far more in the US than in the other countries listed and lobbying efforts from massive organizations like the NRA put money in the pockets of politicians and also pressure on them to not step on their toes. Take the money out of Washington.

Captain Mittens*

Forgive me, I've confused you with Jeff. It could have had something to do with the av.

I tell them apart by reminding myself that kingsfan is a way better gangsta rapper than Jeff. He is the shizzle fo nizzle.

But if it comes to tacos, Jeff esta los cuatro jinetes.

Jeff18

Nov 12, 2014

I'm not saying I agree with Obama, I have never said what he said. What I said in the previous post is an example that there are shootings elsewhere so giving me that article is not really relevant. It also proved me correct that we have the most incidents of mass shootings so I don't really get how I have been "rebutted". Like Ron said, read the entire article to the end.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I had a teacher over a decade ago that got it. They gave her a video of the procedure (its like 10 mins total if that). Just watching it had me squirming in my seat. If I got it, I'd be afraid that I'd yank my head right when it started cutting.

Ha! I was thinking the same thing. Also the skill have not having a million tattoos can't be to hard to train...And how does a beard cause any problems? Outside of the fact that you need a bike rack for all the fixies.

When you aspire to work in the financial markets, appearance is extremely important. When you look like you haven't showered in two months, and have tattoo's everywhere that it's distracting, and a beard that's not neat, and ragged, that causes problems.

Captain Mittens*

When you aspire to work in the financial markets, appearance is extremely important. When you look like you haven't showered in two months, and have tattoo's everywhere that it's distracting, and a beard that's not neat, and ragged, that causes problems.
That is one thing I don't like about my job. I have to shave every damn day and come to work in suits and casual Friday is a polo shirt. Meanwhile at the IT company next door, they all look like drunk surfers.

Jason Squirties

Apr 15, 2014
I'm not saying I agree with Obama, I have never said what he said. What I said in the previous post is an example that there are shootings elsewhere so giving me that article is not really relevant. It also proved me correct that we have the most incidents of mass shootings so I don't really get how I have been "rebutted". Like Ron said, read the entire article to the end.
The statement remains, you brought mass shootings into a discussion that wasn't about mass shootings that you said "in fact" don't happen anywhere else besides ISIS controlled areas.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
As I said in the comment you quoted and got me mixed up with Jeff on apparently, I did make it very clear this does and will happen elsewhere

It's not that it happens elsewhere, it's the rate to which it happens that is the reason so many are calling on the US to follow suit in relating to gun control laws, or to at least start down the path towards gun control measures.

I think the issue really lies with the political system in the states. Money seems to talk far more in the US than in the other countries listed and lobbying efforts from massive organizations like the NRA put money in the pockets of politicians and also pressure on them to not step on their toes. Take the money out of Washington.

Americans like guns, there are rumors/some stats , might be 350 million firearms, maybe more in the states.

A large amount of those firearms are legal.

It's a right of passage for some people, tradition ETC. It's why guns will never go away in America or be heavily restricted.

You are giving the NRA too much credit.

The U.S. has Seven constitutional carry states(zero permit to own, or carry, provided you are not a felon, or prohibited person) with more states thinking about passing similar law. It's legal to carry, and own a Firearm in just about all 50 states(in some fashion). The NRA didn't do that, the American voters did.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad